ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Knicks tank in the '16-'17 season?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Should the Knicks tank '16-'17?

We should tank
55%
We should try to be as competitive as possible
45%

Total votes: 155

Shadylove
Junior
And1: 73

Re: Should the Knicks tank in the '16-'17 season? 

Post#61 » by Shadylove » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:13 pm

AmazingJason wrote:Whoever gets Josh Jackson should look forward to winning a championship in the future.

who told you that? :lol: What happen to Simmons some of you are not serious. Anyone who is suggesting tanking is ot a TRUE KNICK FAN. The hate from other teams is real. Lets look at east, in terms of development, S Johnson and Turner are ahead of KP. Drummund and PJ in Indiana has solid 8 years in them, then you have Whitside and co, the Celtics, the Hawks, Even if you were to blow up and be meh at building a team which we should be doing now I just dont see us wining the east in the next 8 years. The common sense thing to do is to build around Melo and allow KP and Grant to develop. With a competent coach you attract solid free agents at that point and try and win the East and see whats happends. Dolan will rather sell the knicks than blow it up like a Phily rebuild pay Phil jackson 12m and sill **** pay Fish and Rambis the 5th worst coach in nba history you better believe that. :D

Going the Hink route would never happen here so in the words of Phil jackson save your paper :D There is no lebron or Shaq in college or high school. If you look at the league about 8 teams have a core that can compete for the next 10 years. Heat did not blow it up lebron left? they build around aging star in Wade that is what Phil jackson should be doing.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,866

Post#62 » by Spree2Houston » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:it would be such a knick move to NOT tank in a guard loaded draft :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V63LRWlvHNE[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjRvlQ2Xf80[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng5pNV8t0Mc[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW1CVy7Un1Y[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJdQxu_FEmc[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw8E2N-dBtc[/youtube]

Yeah they prefer to have the season last a week longer with an inevitable playoff sweep.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#63 » by Blockwatcher » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Shadylove wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:Whoever gets Josh Jackson should look forward to winning a championship in the future.

who told you that? :lol: What happen to Simmons some of you are not serious. Anyone who is suggesting tanking is ot a TRUE KNICK FAN.

I find it funny your mind wouldn't let your hand type what you wanted it to. It just goes to shown you know that TRUE KNICK FANS would welcome a full tank and rebuild like we did in 2015.

Go tank commander Phil , give the keys to tank officer rambust and lets tank without saying we are tanking
1 John 2 : 15-17
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#64 » by Marty McFly » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:27 pm

Shadylove wrote:

who told you that? :lol: What happen to Simmons some of you are not serious. Anyone who is suggesting tanking is ot a TRUE KNICK FAN. The hate from other teams is real. Lets look at east, in terms of development, S Johnson and Turner are ahead of KP. Drummund and PJ in Indiana has solid 8 years in them, then you have Whitside and co, the Celtics, the Hawks, Even if you were to blow up and be meh at building a team which we should be doing now I just dont see us wining the east in the next 8 years. The common sense thing to do is to build around Melo and allow KP and Grant to develop. With a competent coach you attract solid free agents at that point and try and win the East and see whats happends. Dolan will rather sell the knicks than blow it up like a Phily rebuild pay Phil jackson 12m and sill **** pay Fish and Rambis the 5th worst coach in nba history you better believe that. :D

Going the Hink route would never happen here so in the words of Phil jackson save your paper :D There is no lebron or Shaq in college or high school. If you look at the league about 8 teams have a core that can compete for the next 10 years. Heat did not blow it up lebron left? they build around aging star in Wade that is what Phil jackson should be doing.

**** outta here with this bull ****. who the **** are you to decide who is and who isn't a true knick fan?
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#65 » by The_Special_One » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:31 pm

I voted for tank but I don't like the word itself. I mean, we "should" trade Melo (big commas because lol good luck with that), assemble a young team and develop them. Therefore losing games are part of the process.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#66 » by Sark » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:50 pm

A better term is "strategically non winning".
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#67 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Sark wrote:A better term is "strategically non winning".

I like to call it "looking to acquire high potential young prospects"
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,114

Post#68 » by blueNorange » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:57 pm

the 29 people that voted to compete don't care at all about the future of the team and are just carmelo anthony fans and only care about him.

talk about clueless. :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#69 » by blueNorange » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:00 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:Crazy idea

Let's see what Jackson does in the offseason before we talk tank

Just sayin

like a small patch job so mela can't cry?
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#70 » by blueNorange » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:05 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
Sark wrote:A better term is "strategically non winning".

I like to call it "looking to acquire high potential young prospects"

that's better than "building around a diminishing star"
LOL Y U MAD THO?
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#71 » by AmazingJason » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:54 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
Shadylove wrote:

**** outta here with this bull ****. who the **** are you to decide who is and who isn't a true knick fan?

LOL @ "no lebron or Shaq in college or high school."

Josh Jackson is the second coming of Tracy McGrady, and you will like it.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
Americafkya
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#72 » by Americafkya » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Dantares wrote:Let's address the elephant in the room. The pelicans won 34 games in Anthony Davis second season, Jrue Holiday missed 48 games. If Porzingis makes the the same leap in his 2nd year than the tank will be an unmitigated failure. The time to tank was this year if you wanted another future all-star. it's too late to tank, Porzinigs will ruin the tank, he can be that good.

I love KP, but I highly doubt he will be anywhere near the offensive/defensive impact of Anthony Davis in that year when next season rolls around.

If we do tank, that means trading Melo and Lopez. We would deal those guys for draft picks, and have nothing much left on the roster at all.

Aside from Davis, that team still had Ryan Anderson, Tyreke Evans, Eric Gordon, and still managed to hold oppenents to 102 ppg.

If we deal our vets, there won't be a single player on the roster the level of any 3 of these guys aside from KP.

Replacement-level pg + Holiday for 34 games
Gordon
Evans
Anderson
Davis

is a playoff contender if healthy. The Knicks would field nothing remotely close if we went into the tank unless we pull a miracle player for Melo, which certainly won't happen. Even if KP took a solid jump next season, started averaging 18/8, played good defense and blocked a lot of shots(which is most likely the year he is going to have), then a team with him as the best player and lots of young guys would win 28 games maximum.

Thing is, I have nothing against winning 28 games if it means we are on the way up, get a high draft pick, preserve cap space for good trades or big fa's when we are on the cusp, and are growing a team with a high ceiling.

What I have a problem with is overpaying decent players for the hopes of maxing out as the 3-4th seed in the East. If we pull a serious haul next year, then we could easily make the playoffs, and if we get a nice player in 2017, I could really see us making noise...but is there any situation where you see the Knicks being a legit threat to Cleveland any time soon? Or better yet, do you see the Knicks being any threat to the West's 3 best teams? Not me.

Say we land Rondo/Bazemore next season. That's a great haul. We'd have Rondo/Baze/Melo/Kp/Lopez + Grant/Gallo/Dwill/Quinn bringing up the bench. We could legit be a good playoff seed depending on FA signings. But are we a top 5 team in the league...nah.

We will have a gigantic payroll, long-term money and no flexibility in the hopes of making the 2nd round or maybe, if god shines upon us, the honour of a 6 game loss to Cleveland in the East. IDK. It just doesn't sit well with me.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Asso ... 5194596478

my bball news agency's facebook page
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#73 » by TruthBeTold » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:19 pm

When was the last time something good happen to the Knicks cursed organization? KP put some smiles on fans faces. Thibs is not coming and no other serious coaching candidates are even thinking about coaching the Knicks. Another one of Phil's triangle buddy will be coaching the Knicks next season, while he pray in his office, hoping his gamble is a winning one.

I don't have faith in Phil's buddy list. I'm hoping Phil gets lucky, but I really don't see it. I say trade Melo now if possible, so he can compete for a championship on a good team and TANK, because top 5 free agents have the Knicks at the bottom of their wish list and Phil's 11 blings will not help him much in the off season. Only a max contract will bring any decent starter to the Knicks. :nonono:
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#74 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:07 pm

#TeamTank is now up 40-31...we outchea
xGraveDiggerx
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#75 » by xGraveDiggerx » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:02 pm

Americafkya wrote:
What I have a problem with is overpaying decent players for the hopes of maxing out as the 3-4th seed in the East. If we pull a serious haul next year, then we could easily make the playoffs, and if we get a nice player in 2017, I could really see us making noise...but is there any situation where you see the Knicks being a legit threat to Cleveland any time soon? Or better yet, do you see the Knicks being any threat to the West's 3 best teams? Not me.

Say we land Rondo/Bazemore next season. That's a great haul. We'd have Rondo/Baze/Melo/Kp/Lopez + Grant/Gallo/Dwill/Quinn bringing up the bench. We could legit be a good playoff seed depending on FA signings. But are we a top 5 team in the league...nah.

This is exactly my sentiment. I'm not interested in just treadmilling for the next 5 years.

The first problem is that this wasn't really a rebuild from the get go. It was a rebuild while trying to remain competitive. This has been a half hearted rebuild. This supposed rebuild has collapsed because of the Bargnani trade. With this years pick the outlook would be much different, but unfortunately reality doesn't deal with could've beens. This aspect isn't Phils fault, but it's still something to consider. We finished in the bottom 10 of the league and have no pick to compensate for the lack of production. Furthermore, it's one less asset on a team lacking assets.

The second issue is the lack of assets. There's no flexibility. If you're not going to be able to sign a top tier talent in FA you're just going to spin your tires, just good enough to make the playoffs as a mid seed, but not bad enough to have a chance at an elite game changing talent in the draft. Is the draft a sure thing? No, but neither is FA. If FA was a sure thing where's all the top level talent flocking to New York?

The third problem is Melo's window. If Phil had 2 or 3 more moderately desirable assets then he may have been able to make something happen in this window. Unfortunately, the assets aren't there.

Melo has eclipsed 70 games only twice in the 5 full years he's been in NY. One of those being this past year (which is a good selling point). Lean on him again next year and he gets injured and you'll begin to see the value of that asset plummett. At that point we'll be in a really bad place asset wise. I like Melo and I wish it would've worked out, but I'm not going to fool myself into believing this team can do anything significant within his window.

If Phil can pull a rabbit out of his @$$ and sign KD then by all means, I'm down with pushing for something in melos window. The chances of that are slim to none though.

Sell high on Melo and get what you can. Give him a realistic chance at competing and give yourself a chance at building something meaningful in the next few years. Oh, and keep KP's workload light while you transition the next two or three years. Don't grind him into the ground while you're building.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,539

Post#76 » by Guano » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:34 pm

k r i s t a p s wrote:tank or don't tank, the good news is, as my friend fatboy pointed out, this is a guarded-heavy draft. so when we end up somewhere juuuuuuust outside of the 8th seed, we should still have a shot at a good guard.

(with the DON clarence still around)

keep phil around, so rambis can run the tank and clarence can find us another gem.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,542

Post#77 » by adjacent2bench » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:27 am

Free agents don't choose us anymore. Rookies WANT to come here. Get then while they're young. Tank.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,971

Post#78 » by DaGawd » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:37 am

It's settled...
BaF
Washington Wizards
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Re: RE: Re: Should the Knicks tank in the '16-'17 season? 

Post#79 » by malik959 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Americafkya wrote:
Dantares wrote:Let's address the elephant in the room. The pelicans won 34 games in Anthony Davis second season, Jrue Holiday missed 48 games. If Porzingis makes the the same leap in his 2nd year than the tank will be an unmitigated failure. The time to tank was this year if you wanted another future all-star. it's too late to tank, Porzinigs will ruin the tank, he can be that good.

I love KP, but I highly doubt he will be anywhere near the offensive/defensive impact of Anthony Davis in that year when next season rolls around.

If we do tank, that means trading Melo and Lopez. We would deal those guys for draft picks, and have nothing much left on the roster at all.

Aside from Davis, that team still had Ryan Anderson, Tyreke Evans, Eric Gordon, and still managed to hold oppenents to 102 ppg.

If we deal our vets, there won't be a single player on the roster the level of any 3 of these guys aside from KP.

Replacement-level pg + Holiday for 34 games
Gordon
Evans
Anderson
Davis

is a playoff contender if healthy. The Knicks would field nothing remotely close if we went into the tank unless we pull a miracle player for Melo, which certainly won't happen. Even if KP took a solid jump next season, started averaging 18/8, played good defense and blocked a lot of shots(which is most likely the year he is going to have), then a team with him as the best player and lots of young guys would win 28 games maximum.

Thing is, I have nothing against winning 28 games if it means we are on the way up, get a high draft pick, preserve cap space for good trades or big fa's when we are on the cusp, and are growing a team with a high ceiling.

We will have a gigantic payroll, long-term money and no flexibility in the hopes of making the 2nd round or maybe, if god shines upon us, the honour of a 6 game loss to Cleveland in the East. IDK. It just doesn't sit well with me.

How is that not a top 5 team in the East? That type of team is a dream, especially with the cap going up and being able to get another player next year. Plus Willie and hopefully a healthy Wrotten. Atlanta is depleting and Cleveland may lose Love or Irving, this lineup would be one of the top defensive lineups in the league and you wouldn't want it? I'd take that over tanking in a second!
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#80 » by Sark » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:13 pm

No way are we top 5 just by adding Bazemore and Rondo. That's a 35 to 37 win team, and probably picking after 10 in the draft.

Nightmare scenario.

Return to New York Knicks