ImageImageImageImageImage

Realistic Carmelo Anthony Trade Destinations

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Realistic Carmelo Anthony Trade Destinations 

Post#1 » by Mr_Perfect » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:38 am

With the way Phil is operating, it's almost as if he is already throwing in the towel on next season.

Favoring Rambis - and his eventual hire - is not going to go over well with Carmelo Anthony.

Furthermore, there is simply nothing short of signing Durant in free agency that will turn this team into the contender Melo wants it to be so quickly. This team still needs years of building.

The team and the player have 2 different visions and it's only a matter of time before Carmelo Anthony formally requests a trade.

We all know Anthony has a no-trade clause. The discussion here is what teams do you think would be a realistic option for him to waive his no-trade clause. I would like to examine the best we can get from each of those teams considering our bargaining position, Melo's age and contract and that team's assets.

Right off the bat I will name the teams Melo will ask to go to:

Cleveland Cavaliers
Los Angeles Clippers
Golden State Warriors
San Antonio Spurs

My preference is to get a few picks and a young player or two with some potential rather than someone like Kevin Love. If we're going to rebuild we might as well go fully through with it.

I'm holding out an inkling of hope that Thibs can convince Melo to come to Minny and we can get their lotto pick this year. Minny is readying to start winning games now and don't need another lottery pick. They need a proven vet. Pipe dream, I know.

I don't think Boston is a destination, despite any past rumors. I know they own the coveted Brooklyn picks which they may or may not trade but Carmelo would not want to go there since they are not close to contending.

I want this to be an active, non-combative discussion. I imagine we will be discussing this through the Summer. It's inevitable that the Knicks/Carmelo get a divorce. Phil acts like he never wanted him back, praises Lance Thomas in Melo's absence and then goes after garbage retread coaches that are his friends like Kurt Rambis over proven successful commodities.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Re: Realistic Carmelo Anthony Trade Destinations 

Post#2 » by navyblue » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:53 am

if you want picks and young players scratch off clips and spurs of that list. similarly warriors are out of the question unless its a s&t for barnes. they also cant trade picks till 2019.

i still say boston is the most likely scenario. but melo will be move #3. first they will keep the bkn pick. 2nd use cap space to get 2 free agents ie horford batum conley whiteside ryan anderson etc then convince melo/knicks to trade him there.
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#3 » by bleedblue3303 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 am

I actually believe the Lakers are a real destination. They will go after Durant and possibly sign him . The. Offer russell, randle and their pick for Melo. Lakers are not a rebuilding type franchise.

Teams like the clips in a 3 way works also. Teams like Boston or Orlando send us picks and young players. Either team gets Blake and clips get Melo.

Miami is another team that could be good trading partner.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
donkki
Analyst
And1: 553

Post#4 » by donkki » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:29 am

I also think the Lakers could be a possible destination.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#5 » by Marty McFly » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:31 am

the only way a see a trade working is via three way. he'll likely only leave for a legitimate championship contender. contenders don't have the sort of pieces rebuilding teams want. the only team i could envision making a three way trade work is boston. it's obvious they're desperate for a franchise player, and ainge isn't shy about trading top 5 lotto picks for established all stars.

so melo goes to phantom championship contender

a high lottery pick comes to nyk

and phantom team needs to trade established all star caliber franchise type player.

the clippers would be crazy to trade blake, so i don't see them as an option, even if an asset from boston would be going there way along with melo.

melo's not going to go to the lakers unless they have some absurd off season, where they land a major player via trade, like chris paul or some such.

miami could be interesting but i don't think winslow is enough for melo, we might have to bite the bullet on that one.

cleveland is a dark horse solely because lebron's moods change with the weather; i think kyrie or love get moved if they don't win the championship.

the spurs could be an interesting place for melo to land, they could offer LMA if they decide to make a change, who then gets rerouted to boston (not sure if he has an ntc) though i can't see melo in san antonio.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#6 » by Scalabrine » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:56 am

Its fair to say that once Conley, Batum and freakin Harrison Barnes are all making more money than Melo annually that he will be a pretty good contract right?

I'm not convinced that we should trade Anthony. Yeah he is a few years beyond our optimal window, but unless we are getting a sure thing that is closer to the age of KP (and Grant) then I am just not sold.

That being said; Miami offers Winslow, Richardson McRoberts and Dragic (works under the checker) for Melo and Calderon or LA offers Russel and Randle or Chicago offers Rose, Mirotic, Portis and my eyes start to wander...
Go Knicks!
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,932

Post#7 » by DaGawd » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:23 am

I could see Melo to the Lakers as a possibility if he wants to try and start forming Lebron's fantasy super team in a warm weather city
BaF
Washington Wizards
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#8 » by MrProb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:29 am

Would love to see him plays under Pop but I doubt that Pop likes Melo
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#9 » by br7knicks » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:28 am

Oh, our weekly thread of, where melo may want to be traded to, is up early.usually it's a weekend thing.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#10 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:02 am

I think the convo is more realistic at this point though. I really don't see compelling reasons for Melo to stay here anymore.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#11 » by King of Canada » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:55 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:I think the convo is more realistic at this point though. I really don't see compelling reasons for Melo to stay here anymore.

If we don't land a major free agent or agents and come back with Rambis Melo would be crazy to stick around. I mean I get it. It's cool that he wants to be here and he doesn't want to leave his home,etc... But at that point he'd basically be writing off the rest of his effective playing days.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,957

Post#12 » by god shammgod » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:58 am

it's not happening. but it's really only cleveland who can trade a significant asset, love, who you could move to another team if you wanted picks. you probably can't get a top 4 pick for love either.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,500

Post#13 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:59 am

Melo showed up to a triangle camp with Rambis involved...I don't think he's prepared to waive his NTC. Maybe after free agency if he's unhappy with the haul, but I can't see him showing up to this stuff if he was ready to move on. Honestly, I didn't think he'd go even if he wanted to stick around since it's a nice break period before the Olympic stuff.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#14 » by DrCoach » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Melo is all about the optics.

I only see him going to LA, no way I see his wife wanting to live in Clev.

Maybe he could be convinced to go to Mia, Tor or Atl..but I don't see it
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#15 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:12 pm

j4remi wrote:Melo showed up to a triangle camp with Rambis involved...I don't think he's prepared to waive his NTC. Maybe after free agency if he's unhappy with the haul, but I can't see him showing up to this stuff if he was ready to move on. Honestly, I didn't think he'd go even if he wanted to stick around since it's a nice break period before the Olympic stuff.

I wouldn't take that to mean he's not considering it at this point. I do think he's waiting to see what happens in free agency but it wasn't by accident he made those comments to press about a month ago. He wanted more say in moves and he wanted Thibs.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#16 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:48 pm

If the Lakers manage to sign a Demar Derozan, maybe they'd be willing to make a trade for Melo and look to create a big 3 with a max FA in 2017 like Westbrook. I'd be hoping for their top 3 pick in this year's draft (Ingram) or D'Tective Russell.

I do not see Melo going to Boston, and I don't see Boston really wanting him either. They won't be willing to give up their best assets for a dude who's about to turn 32. They want a younger star in the 27-28 age range. If we can work out a 3-way deal between us, the Cavs, and the Celtics then cool. I'd definitely be looking for either the 2016 or 2017 BK pick.

I'd also be looking at a 3-way trade between the Magic and Cavs in which Melo goes to Cleveland, Love goes to Orlando, and we get Hezonja. The Magic would probably offer up big money to someone like Parsons who's from the area. Adding Parsons and Love would make them a playoff team which is what they desperately want. Hezonja showed a lot of flashes this season and looked pretty good whenever he got a lot of playing time (which hardly ever happened).

With all that said, I think the chances of Melo wanting to leave this summer are pretty slim, even if our offseason is mediocre.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,500

Post#17 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:50 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
j4remi wrote:Melo showed up to a triangle camp with Rambis involved...I don't think he's prepared to waive his NTC. Maybe after free agency if he's unhappy with the haul, but I can't see him showing up to this stuff if he was ready to move on. Honestly, I didn't think he'd go even if he wanted to stick around since it's a nice break period before the Olympic stuff.

I wouldn't take that to mean he's not considering it at this point. I do think he's waiting to see what happens in free agency but it wasn't by accident he made those comments to press about a month ago. He wanted more say in moves and he wanted Thibs.

Idk, his actual comments on Thibs kinda distanced himself. He said the whole "I only met him once when I visited Chicago" and that the search shouldn't be narrowed to just Thibs. Then while his pick for coach was publicly negotiating with Minne, he was at a camp with Kurt Rambis involved. I just don't see how that sort of behavior suggests anything other than Melo wanting to be involved with the Knicks moving forward; agree to disagree though, I do remember reports he wanted Thibs and I really hoped he'd fight for that.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#18 » by CJackson » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:52 pm

you forgot miami. there are several compelling reasons he could enjoy that. it is practically a country house destination for some rich new yorkers. buddy wade. no state taxes. maybe a better team. low pressure. margeritas and art collectors
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#19 » by CJackson » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:56 pm

also, tho I dont think melo is going anywhere it is possible he went to the triangle thingy to figure out for himself how jackson is going to run the club next year not only as some vote of confidence. doing his own intel going into the off-season is just common sense and when it comes to career options thats something i figure melo will go the extra mile for so i dont think him going to the camp has to only be a sign of his future commitment to the knicks
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#20 » by nykfan42 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:24 pm

What could we receive from those teams? Paper clips can only offer Blake which doesn't help us. Cavs could get us Kyrie and picks right? Lakers could get us young talent but why would he go to LA while they're in a rebuild like us? I think the only scenario I could like is the Cavs if it gets us Kyrie. I don't want Love and his soft play.
Make the Knicks great again!

Return to New York Knicks