ImageImageImageImageImage

The direction of the franchise from here

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Re: The direction of the franchise from here 

Post#101 » by EricAnderson » Fri May 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Greenie wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
Greenie wrote:I think Hornecek will will play to their strengths. At least, I hope so.

If we can get Grant and Tony out running our backcourt doesn't look so damn bad. But when you handcuff them to a plodding offense their weaknesses are magnified.

But what have they shown to give you any confidence? Wroten got cut by the Sixers!

I can't believe they'res people here who think the talent on the roster is fine and that it was the coaching holding it back

I sure hop Phil doesn't feel the same way

Talent gets cut often.
Whitside was cut...from the Kings
Lin was cut.
Danny Green was cut.

You named three guys who made it not the thousands who didn't

If one of this guys becomes a solid rotation piece fine but to count on those players as definite building blocks is assinine
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#102 » by Polk377 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:55 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:
I don't know who Phil is going to target, but there are some solid, underrated guards out there that would likely catapult us into the playoffs. You get 2 of Lin, Dellavedova, Bazemore, Crabbe, Jennings or Stephenson and we're sitting pretty good. They can also act as stopgaps/assets for when we upgrade them to stars.

Why so they can get bounced in the first round? Lin wants to stay with the Hornets, Dellavedova and Crabbe are restricted so you have to overpay, Stephenson has a team option so it's more likely he gets traded, Jennings is trash. I wouldn't mind Bazemore but he will end up back in Atlanta. None of those guys put the Knicks in the playoffs.

Unless we trade Melo - which will never happen due to the NTC - there won't be any tanking.

Hornacek is a great coach, and he'll most likely maximize Melo, KP and Grant. We'll be better purely due to the coaching upgrade. And Phil will use the cap space to get a new SG and perhaps another ball-handler. They'll be assets or stopgaps. 2017 will be the summer to target a star PG. Hernangomez will come over at some point. At the very least, we'll have these assets: Melo, KP, Lopez, Grant, Wroten, Hernangomez, O'Quinn. Add in whatever guards we can get at good value.

I can agree with everything you are saying there but the keyword was value. This is not the summer of value with the free agents available. Best value would be to sneak into the late first/early 2nd of the draft for Bembry, McCaw, Richardson or Levert. Hell depending where he falls I would buy a 2nd pick and take a flyer on Thon Maker. The other option is finding talent in the D-league where there are a good group of guards who can play.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#103 » by Polk377 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:02 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Greenie wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
But what have they shown to give you any confidence? Wroten got cut by the Sixers!

I can't believe they'res people here who think the talent on the roster is fine and that it was the coaching holding it back

I sure hop Phil doesn't feel the same way

Talent gets cut often.
Whitside was cut...from the Kings
Lin was cut.
Danny Green was cut.

You named three guys who made it not the thousands who didn't

If one of this guys becomes a solid rotation piece fine but to count on those players as definite building blocks is assinine

That would be true if Wroten wasn't in the league for 3 years already and shown what he is capable of. Most papers in Phili criticized the 76ers for releasing him. It is not far fetched that a 23 year old with talent can be a key piece. The only question is can he stay healthy.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#104 » by NY2TheBay » Fri May 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Nobody is overrating the current group, at least I am not.

People that know Wroten's talent understand IF this guy is healthy he is a real asset. He is one of the best penetrating guards in the league with athleticism and length at the point.

I will say this, IF recovered and healthy; Wroten>Grant.

Wroten got released due to complications with the knee, it was shortsighted imo. Wroten played on a knee that wasnt fully repaired right since late high school.

Go watch Dragic in HOrny's offense. Then turn on Woten's tape in philly before his injury. You should see a similarity there. Granted Wroten is not the shooter dragic is but it isnt far fetched to believe this kid can be something here.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#105 » by NY2TheBay » Fri May 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Polk377 wrote:That would be true if Wroten wasn't in the league for 3 years already and shown what he is capable of. Most papers in Phili criticized the 76ers for releasing him. It is not far fetched that a 23 year old with talent can be a key piece. The only question is can he stay healthy.

I see you, don't trip.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#106 » by Thugger HBC » Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Greenie wrote:I think Phil is doing just fine.

Agreed. Now that the dust has settled on the coaching search, it's clear that it was conducted in a functional and competent manner. Meanwhile, we have all these other teams (Kings, Rockets, Wizards, Pacers) doing God knows what.

I'm finally pretty relaxed about the team's future. It's still an uphill struggle but it's in good hands.

Agreed on all points. We needed a coach that at least can even that aspect of the playing field. I think Horn can do that. That aspect is huge imo.

Now we have to upgrade our backcourt. A competent two is a must. Not as concerned with the 1 spot if Wroten is healthy and Grant continues to develop his game. I honestly don't even think Calderon will be on the roster at any point next season.

It doesn't take a lot to put me in a content spot. At this stage, I'm good. now looking for the roster improvements, and then some other things from there.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,484

Post#107 » by RHODEY » Fri May 20, 2016 9:50 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:Nobody is overrating the current group, at least I am not.

People that know Wroten's talent understand IF this guy is healthy he is a real asset. He is one of the best penetrating guards in the league with athleticism and length at the point.

Wroten got released due to complications with the knee, it was shortsighted imo. Wroten played on a knee that wasnt fully repaired right since late high school.

Go watch Dragic in HOrny's offense. Then turn on Woten's tape in philly before his injury. You should see a similarity there. Granted Wroten is not the shooter dragic is but it isnt far fetched to believe this kid can be something here.

Not too familiar with Wroten's game, but as you said he looks like quite a baller when healthy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcyH-xlPnF8[/youtube]
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#108 » by Greenie » Fri May 20, 2016 10:13 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Agreed. Now that the dust has settled on the coaching search, it's clear that it was conducted in a functional and competent manner. Meanwhile, we have all these other teams (Kings, Rockets, Wizards, Pacers) doing God knows what.

I'm finally pretty relaxed about the team's future. It's still an uphill struggle but it's in good hands.

Agreed on all points. We needed a coach that at least can even that aspect of the playing field. I think Horn can do that. That aspect is huge imo.

Now we have to upgrade our backcourt. A competent two is a must. Not as concerned with the 1 spot if Wroten is healthy and Grant continues to develop his game. I honestly don't even think Calderon will be on the roster at any point next season.

It doesn't take a lot to put me in a content spot. At this stage, I'm good. now looking for the roster improvements, and then some other things from there.

Agreed
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#109 » by NY2TheBay » Fri May 20, 2016 10:28 pm

RHODEY wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:Nobody is overrating the current group, at least I am not.

Not too familiar with Wroten's game, but as you said he looks like quite a baller when healthy.

Yeah, partner. Kid can really go, like a bull. Just hope he is recovered fully and has learned pace and refined the shot a little. If he was the perfect player though we wouldn't of gotten him off the scrapheap.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,495

Post#110 » by KnicksGod » Fri May 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Removed the Hoodwinked sig?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,148

Post#111 » by Capn'O » Fri May 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Anyone know if Wroten will be able to go in Summer League?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#112 » by Thugger HBC » Fri May 20, 2016 10:35 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Removed the Hoodwinked sig?

Depends on my mood. I originally removed it in February.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Polk377
General Manager

Post#113 » by Polk377 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Capn'O wrote:Anyone know if Wroten will be able to go in Summer League?

I think that is the plan unless he still needs time with the knee
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#114 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri May 20, 2016 10:52 pm

I can't see the Knicks freeing themselves from Jose Calderon. For whatever reason, coaches and more importantly Phil likes him. Even the NY media defends him as a "scapegoat." I see Horny really liking him as a "floor general."

Wroten is going to be used as a shooting guard. He's got that turn the corner from right to left while switching hands from right to left as he finishes and I like his three point shot, though I'd like to see more from the corner. That said, I think he's better than what the Knicks currently have.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,269

Post#115 » by Knicks Byke » Fri May 20, 2016 11:21 pm

wroten is gonna be our poor mans harden, book it
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#116 » by Mr_Perfect » Fri May 20, 2016 11:26 pm

Knicks Bycke wrote:wroten is gonna be our poor mans harden, book it

So he's going to be the worst defender on the planet while chucking bricks?
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#117 » by malik959 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:31 pm

GONYK wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Cr0w wrote:I would love to keep Derrick Williams at an affordable price. If we can get to a point where Melo is traded he can even be our starting SF.

If we can? You want us to get to that point?

Going from starting Melo to starting Williams is an insane downgrade

Depends on who we get back in return.
If we could trade Melo to LAC
Phe. gets Blake
Knicks get Booker and their #4 pick (Bender) and fillers.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#118 » by BKlutch » Fri May 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Mecca wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Mecca wrote:Moving Jose becomes our chief priority right now. Don't really see a way it can be done, though.

It's really not. He is a vet presence who can hit open threes. His contract is expiring. He can be stretched next year for minimal cost.

Personally...upgrading the 2 is the chief priority. Getting another SF as well. PF is pretty important too.

Grant/Wroten/Jose
???/Galloway/???
Melo/???/Early
KP/???/???
RoLo/KOQ/Willy

Jose is last on the list of priorites

If you move Jose you have 8 more million to play with in FA. If you move KOQ you have 4 more in FA and can let Willy chief the backup 5 role.

The whole problem with Jose is financial bee need a guard to play at the 13th or 14th spot on the bench. He's perfect for that role, except that he costs $Millions. So if we can trade him to a team that wants an expiring, good.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

stopstandthere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#119 » by stopstandthere » Sat May 21, 2016 12:06 am

I am surprise some people are high on Wroton as he is quite injury prone and a combo guard cannot shoot on a reliable status. Yes he has some fancy ball handling skill but again the issue is whether he can stay healthy or not. Please take a look of his past record in last few season of how many games he has played, it was actually not too optimistic. I hope he proves me wrong too.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,484

Post#120 » by RHODEY » Sat May 21, 2016 12:32 am

Knicks Bycke wrote:wroten is gonna be our poor mans harden, book it

Or maybe our 6'6" Rondo minus the court vision?

Return to New York Knicks