ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: OJ Simpson: Made in America 5 part series

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

OT: OJ Simpson: Made in America 5 part series 

Post#1 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:12 am

Anyone watching this?
Just WOOOOOW. I was a baby when this all went down with the trial and all of that.
Damn, OJ is a fuqed up human being in my eyes and they didn't even get to the murder yet. :nonono:

The best part about this series so far is the different perspectives everyone is giving. It's not one sided. It's mixing in everything.
Am I wrong to think OJ really got off because of all the other crap going on in Cali between the cops and blacks? I think it ties in. Rodney King and Latasha Harlins happened around the same time. Then you had the riots...

I didn't know the judge basically threw out the conviction of the woman that shot and killed Harlins. The woman was found guilty of first degree murder and the jury recommended max security prison for her and the judge said "no, she will get 5 years probation"....WTF?
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Re: OT: OJ Simpson: Made in America 5 part series 

Post#2 » by el13adnino » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:15 am

saw all 5 parts.
defintely recommend!
:crazy:
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,346

Post#3 » by Phish Tank » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:17 am

The series is just chilling and mind blowing

Sent from the phish tank
Greenie
RealGM

Post#4 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:17 am

Also, how the hell can OJ be placed under arrest for domestic violence, flee the scene and get away with it?
The cop just files a report and keeps a copy of it? That's it?
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#5 » by CJackson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:19 am

Greenie wrote:Anyone watching this?
Just WOOOOOW. I was a baby when this all went down with the trial and all of that.
Damn, OJ is a fuqed up human being in my eyes and they didn't even get to the murder yet. :nonono:

The best part about this series so far is the different perspectives everyone is giving. It's not one sided. It's mixing in everything.
Am I wrong to think OJ really got off because of all the other crap going on in Cali between the cops and blacks? I think it ties in. Rodney King and Latasha Harlins happened around the same time. Then you had the riots...

I didn't know the judge basically threw out the conviction of the woman that shot and killed Harlins. The woman was found guilty of first degree murder and the jury recommended max security prison for her and the judge said "no, she will get 5 year probation"....WTF?

The whole thing was a contaminated process. Everyone knew he did it and still it got played out like a game. One of the things I found hurtful at the time was a few black people (not many, but a handful) wishing he would be acquitted as if that would atone for other sins against black people. He was a very sick man and the trial was allowed to become a circus and it was very sad. He should have been put away for life.

For older folks OJ was even stranger because he was previously considered a pretty dapper and charming guy. He was always on the TV and in tons of commercials like the one where he is sprinting thru the airport hurdling luggage (for Samsonite I think). He truly was one of the greatest football players ever and then made it to Hollywood. He had it all going for him but he turned out to be mentally ill and very dangerous and the public had no clue.

Race should have never been allowed to play a role in his defense but it was used by his attorney and it worked.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#6 » by EricAnderson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:24 am

The part where Nicole is on the phone with 911 with her voice trembling and then you hear Oj screaming like a madman is so horrifying
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#7 » by NY2TheBay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:27 am

I was told to watch all 5 at once. So I am trying to stay patient. Really looking forward to watching it, though.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#8 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:27 am

CJackson wrote:

I didn't know the judge basically threw out the conviction of the woman that shot and killed Harlins. The woman was found guilty of first degree murder and the jury recommended max security prison for her and the judge said "no, she will get 5 year probation"....WTF?

The whole thing was a contaminated process. Everyone knew he did it and still it got played out like a game. One of the things I found hurtful at the time was a few black people (not many, but a handful) wishing he would be acquitted as if that would atone for other sins against black people. He was a very sick man and the trial was allowed to become a circus and it was very sad. He should have been put away for life.

For older folks OJ was even stranger because he was previously considered a pretty dapper and charming guy. He was always on the TV and in tons of commercials like the one where he is sprinting thru the airport hurdling luggage (for Samsonite I think). He truly was one of the greatest football players ever and then made it to Hollywood. He had it all going for him but he turned out to be mentally ill and very dangerous and the public had no clue.

Race should have never been allowed to play a role in his defense but it was used by his attorney and it worked.

It only worked because of all of the other bullsh*t IMO. If those cops were found guilty along with the woman that killed Harlins sent to prison there are no LA riots. If things are not so damn sensitive between blacks and the law does OJ get off? I don't think so, but who's fault is that?

You can't keep stomping on people and not expect them to push back. Now that crap is out of hand you wanna play cute by letting OJ get off when we all know damn well even if he didn't physically kill them himself he gave the nod to do so.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#9 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:28 am

I would also like to know who the hell taped the Rodney King beating.
So many questions. HELP
Greenie
RealGM

Post#10 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 am

NY2TheBay wrote:I was told to watch all 5 at once. So I am trying to stay patient. Really looking forward to watching it, though.

You can stream it all online now. I'm watching it on TV now though.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#11 » by NY2TheBay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:32 am

CJackson wrote:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ev-BtPMM8[/youtube]
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#12 » by xNewYorkMadex » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:32 am

Watched it all last night. Was only 4 years old when this was all happening.

OJ was definitely found not guilty because of the Rodney King trial and the history of the LAPD abusing black people. One of the female jurors said it herself. The doc did a great job providing the back stories and explaining why this was such a HUGE trial.

I wonder how many black people today think he did it. I think the doc said 76% of blacks thought he was innocent in 1994, I do wonder what that number would looks like now. Im not black or white, but I do understand why so many black people thought he was being set up. It was really the perfect storm. Black people had enough of the dirty cops and being mistreated. I was disappointed to see so many celebrate the not guilty verdict. But I do understand the reaction at the time.

This trial might have been the moment when journalism started to die. Its all about marketing and ratings.

Also really interesting to see the transformation of OJ. OJ was black, but he never really embraced the black culture. He didnt really stand with Ali, Russel, the 2 Olympians who raised their fists, he remained neutral to it all. He really only cared about his image and wanted his star to keep shining.

The prosecution did a poor job handling this trial. Cochran and the rest of the team put in work against them.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
CJackson
General Manager

Post#13 » by CJackson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:32 am

Greenie wrote:
CJackson wrote:

It only worked because of all of the other bullsh*t IMO. If those cops were found guilty along with the woman that killed Harlins sent to prison there are no LA riots. If things are not so damn sensitive between blacks and the law does OJ get off? I don't think so, but who's fault is that?

You can't keep stomping on people and not expect them to push back. Now that crap is out of hand you wanna play cute by letting OJ get off when we all know damn well even if he didn't physically kill them himself he gave the nod to do so.

I know the context just fine. I remember plenty.

I was in a Barnes & Noble on 3rd Avenue when I saw the NY Times headlines showing L.A. in flames and I started crying. That was truly a bad time.

But that does not justify how the case was handled though. His guilt was beyond all reasonable doubt and the racial angle was exploited in a manner that cost society way more than if he was tried correctly and without false context.

You can't have double standards and expect progress to take hold and stand the test of time.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,806

Post#14 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:38 am

Greenie wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:I was told to watch all 5 at once. So I am trying to stay patient. Really looking forward to watching it, though.

Yeah it's all available OnDemand now too. But watching all at once? Shyts like 8 hours lol.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#15 » by NY2TheBay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:38 am

Greenie wrote:

Going to look for it tonight online.

I remember little as I was really young but know the prosecution got schooled by the defense (OJ's dream team). Marsha Clark never practiced again, IIRC.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#16 » by NY2TheBay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:40 am

spree8 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Yeah it's all available OnDemand now too. But watching all at once? Shyts like 8 hours lol.

For real? :lol: Scratch that. I got DirecTV so OnDemand isn't available for me.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#17 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:41 am

CJackson wrote:
Greenie wrote:
CJackson wrote:

I was in a Barnes & Noble on 3rd Avenue when I saw the NY Times headlines showing L.A. in flames and I started crying. That was truly a bad time.

But that does not justify how the case was handled though. His guilt was beyond all reasonable doubt and the racial angle was exploited in a manner that cost society way more than if he was tried correctly and without false context.

You can't have double standards and expect progress to take hold and stand the test of time.

The double standard would have been OJ going to prison. That's the issue. The woman who killed that little girl didn't go, those cops didn't go for beating the hell out of Rodney King and both those instances had video tape evidence of the crimes committed. How could you send OJ to prison off of circumstantial evidence when you're not sending people away that have their crimes on tape? LA fuqed up the legal system for that trial.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#18 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:42 am

NY2TheBay wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Going to look for it tonight online.

I remember little as I was really young but know the prosecution got schooled by the defense (OJ's dream team). Marsha Clark never practiced again, IIRC.

damn
CJackson
General Manager

Post#19 » by CJackson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:42 am

Greenie wrote:
CJackson wrote:
Greenie wrote:

The double standard would have been OJ going to prison. That's the issue. The woman who killed that little girl didn't go, those cops didn't go for beating the hell out of Rodney King and both those instances had video tape evidence of the crimes committed. How could you send OJ to prison off of circumstantial evidence when you're not sending people away that have their crimes on tape? LA fuqed up the legal system for that trial.

I can't debate you on the merits of one trial being used to atone for the failures of another trial. Sorry
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,806

Post#20 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:43 am

The tv series they came out with a couple months ago on FX was really good too.

Return to New York Knicks