ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Historic Brexit Vote - Farewell EU

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

OT: Historic Brexit Vote - Farewell EU 

Post#1 » by aq_ua » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 am

Thought this deserves a thread. Shocking outcome despite all the negative implications of an exit from the EU, the UK has voted to leave the EU.

Now comes a long two year unwinding process that may see Scotland leave the UK and global financial turmoil in the meantime.

No matter how you slice it, this is bad news, really bad news. The scariest part is that paranoia and protectionism prevailed over decades of relationship building and rational behavior.

What implications this has for the US elections - that rational behavior is potentially an endangered species - to be seen but now has me very worried.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,030

Re: OT: Historic Brexit Vote - Farewell EU 

Post#2 » by Besart19 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 am

Trump will do the NATO farewell
Strength and Honour!
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#3 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:23 am

so sad

xenophobia wins out over rational thought
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#4 » by CJackson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 am

Holy crap. Nationalism is messing with peoples minds. The UK is dead. Great Britain = England as Scotland and Ireland will now almost surely assert their full independence. The xenophobes won. Fear mongering was the primary method of persuasion. Not a good omen.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#5 » by CJackson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:32 am

Putin is licking his chops now
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,901

Post#6 » by matchman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:33 am

EU is a good concept, but it's too difficult to accomplish. When the scope expands towards Eastern Europe and Turkey, it's over. The deviation in religion, culture and economic structure is bigger than one imagined.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
AllanH20
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,883

Post#7 » by AllanH20 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:33 am

Watch this:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GMB/status/746218028195426305[/tweet]

All I can say is wow. They have thoroughly fuqed themselves over.

The pound is already at -11.25% and past it's lowest point since 1985.

They're going to pay a heavy price for their idiocy. Scotland will hold another referendum soon too.
"I'm ready to be an animal for this city."
- Joakim Noah
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,901

Post#8 » by matchman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:33 am

CJackson wrote:Holy crap. Nationalism is messing with peoples minds. The UK is dead. Great Britain = England as Scotland and Ireland will now almost surely assert their full independence. The xenophobes won. Fear mongering was the primary method of persuasion. Not a good omen.

Do you mean North Ireland?
Are you fans of the team or the player?
knicksrbake
Junior
And1: 111

Post#9 » by knicksrbake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:39 am

Good for them. There will be short-term implications, but it's far better for them in the long-term. It's the first step towards uncucking their nation. The EU is a sinking ship, and now others will either follow suit or continue to follow the EU to its death.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/746215048016592902[/tweet]

I found the "remain" crowd's comments to be hilarious:

AllanH20
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,883

Post#10 » by AllanH20 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:44 am

^^^
Oh god, knicksrbake is already here. Looks like his thread is going to be hijacked by the Trump guys who only post in the Trump thread.

"I'm ready to be an animal for this city."
- Joakim Noah
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,317

Post#11 » by gavran » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:45 am

Hope the UK falls apart, it is about time.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#12 » by CJackson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:46 am

matchman wrote:
CJackson wrote:Holy crap. Nationalism is messing with peoples minds. The UK is dead. Great Britain = England as Scotland and Ireland will now almost surely assert their full independence. The xenophobes won. Fear mongering was the primary method of persuasion. Not a good omen.

Do you mean North Ireland?

Northern Ireland is still dependent on the EU for funds. They are caught in the middle of this Brexit because it can end up isolating them from the greater UK which is a different set of circumstances than Scotland voting for independence. Now Sinn Fein is raising the possibility of unifying Ireland to deal with this. Whether that is even possible I don't know, but it sounds like they are pushing already for a referendum.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#13 » by CJackson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:48 am

AllanH20 wrote:^^^
Oh god, knicksrbake is already here. Looks like his thread is going to be hijacked by the Trump guys who only post in the Trump thread.

I took a peek. I'm a Led Zeppelin fan so it saddens me to see this cretin posting pictures of Jimmy Page.
knicksrbake
Junior

Post#14 » by knicksrbake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:50 am

CJackson wrote:
AllanH20 wrote:^^^

I took a peek. I'm a Led Zeppelin fan so it saddens me to see this cretin posting pictures of Jimmy Page.

That's Geert Wilders, leader of the Party for Freedom in the Netherlands.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Post#15 » by aq_ua » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 am

matchman wrote:EU is a good concept, but it's too difficult to accomplish. When the scope expands towards Eastern Europe and Turkey, it's over. The deviation in religion, culture and economic structure is bigger than one imagined.

Except it was WAS accomplished. The EU wasn't perfect but it made Europe a much stronger economic and social bloc than any one nation was able to do on its own. This was just undermining the whole effort.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#16 » by CJackson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:57 am

For those of you who are immune to humor and tone deaf to irony, this is what Jimmy Page looks like these days:

knicksrbake
Junior

Post#17 » by knicksrbake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:01 am

CJackson wrote:For those of you who are immune to humor and tone deaf to irony, this is what Jimmy Page looks like these days:

Sorry, based on many of your political views, I had to assume that you were that stupid.
Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,931

Post#18 » by Smash3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:02 am

Truth is xenophobia won coupled with the young probably not showing up to vote. Stats showed the majority of 18-35ish crowd were in heavily favor of remaining within the EU, people bowed under to rhetoric like: "Where I live people rarely speak english anymore." etc..
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
CJackson
General Manager

Post#19 » by CJackson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:02 am

knicksrbake wrote:
CJackson wrote:For those of you who are immune to humor and tone deaf to irony, this is what Jimmy Page looks like these days:

Sorry, based on many of your political views, I had to assume that you were that stupid.

Considering you are one of the three dumbest MF'ers on this board (and who isn't here to talk about the Knicks), I consider that a compliment.
knicksrbake
Junior

Post#20 » by knicksrbake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:05 am

Smash3 wrote:Truth is xenophobia won coupled with the young probably not showing up to vote. Stats showed the majority of 18-35ish crowd were in heavily favor of remaining within the EU, people bowed under to rhetoric like: "Where I live people rarely speak english anymore." etc..

It's not xenophobia. Go look at Germany and Sweden. Those countries will collapse unless they get their stuff together and realize that allowing the refugees into their country is destroying them.

Return to New York Knicks