ImageImageImageImageImage

The 15th Spot - a pass-first PG

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Re: The 15th Spot - a pass-first PG 

Post#21 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:25 am

Crawford is clutch at bricking imo. But my 15 th spot is for a versatile defender that can guard many position.
What
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#22 » by kane » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:40 am

NYKnicksFTW wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:I figure it's going to be left open unless a vet comes for cheap. We desperately need another PG and another swing man, so somebody has to get cut.

For a swing man, I really want to see what Kuzminskas can do. Hopefully he can be our backup swingman.

hazing aside, i think kuz will get some play but i wouldn't expect much as in a scoring option off the bench. every 'highlight' video ive seen from him is just one dunk after another, he dd make james harden look like a fool in the Olympics :devil:
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#23 » by knickstape4ever » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:45 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Technically we don't have any open spot. Now STFU and GTFO!

DAMN BALL BOYS and their stupid threads!

Technically, we do. I'd actually like to get a legit player with the last available spot because i think this bench lacks depth, but is rather filled with guys who are "ifs." If KOQ and Jennings bounce back, if Kuz, WIlly and Ndour translate their skill to the NBA, if Holiday takes then next step (he's already 27). So while their may be talent on this team, i'd like to get a more proven NBA player for the bench than another young guy. Another young guy sitting at the end of the bench isn't going to help push this team into a contender. We already have plenty of younger players with no NBA experience: Plumlee, Ndour, Willy, Kuz. Go get Lance Stephenson!
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#24 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:55 am

NYKnicksFTW wrote:
blueNorange wrote:the 15th man better have more than one suit or else he'll look dumb wearing the same thing every game.

also marbury is garbage and jamawful crawful is great at making brick houses.

1. Granted

2. Crawford was awesome. One of the most clutch Knicks in recent memory

Side question, how do I put up an avatar? What's considered an "acceptable site" to post from? I keep trying to post an icon picture from the net, but it keeps giving me the same message.

ignore him

he's never made a post yet that wasn't trying to just spread his miserable negativity all over everyone

welcome to the board NYKnicksFTW
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,131

Post#25 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:15 am

Highest odds are that the guy in my sig gets the 15th spot. Maybe that guy Randel steals it from him. But those are the guys we're looking at, in all likelihood. Low risk, low salary.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#26 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:17 am

boomann21 wrote:
NYKnicksFTW wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:I figure it's going to be left open unless a vet comes for cheap. We desperately need another PG and another swing man, so somebody has to get cut.

For a swing man, I really want to see what Kuzminskas can do. Hopefully he can be our backup swingman.

I Swear Man! If you don't STFU and GTFO Right this Second, I'm a lose my $hit.

Dude didn't even ask Wingo's permission to make this thread.
BAF Clippers

knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#27 » by knickstape4ever » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:31 am

Capn'O wrote:Highest odds are that the guy in my sig gets the 15th spot. Maybe that guy Randel steals it from him. But those are the guys we're looking at, in all likelihood. Low risk, low salary.

i think it would be a mistake to give another bench job to an unproven youngster if we're trying to contend with out win-now moves of getting Noah and Lee. Need more experience on the bench
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#28 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:45 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Highest odds are that the guy in my sig gets the 15th spot. Maybe that guy Randel steals it from him. But those are the guys we're looking at, in all likelihood. Low risk, low salary.

i think it would be a mistake to give another bench job to an unproven youngster if we're trying to contend with out win-now moves of getting Noah and Lee. Need more experience on the bench

Then, when one of those guys signs it should show you what Jackson thinks of our chances for contending this season.

I'm positive it will be used in a developmental spot unless something surprising happens. Ring chaser sort of deal.
BAF Clippers

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Post#29 » by Jeffrey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:56 am

Carlos Boozer anyone? Jermaine O'neal?
KayCSmooth
Sophomore
And1: 139

Post#30 » by KayCSmooth » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:21 am

Capn'O wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

Then, when one of those guys signs it should show you what Jackson thinks of our chances for contending this season.

I'm positive it will be used in a developmental spot unless something surprising happens. Ring chaser sort of deal.

That's a good point. We got so many "rookie" players off the bench that need developing, that it's hard to tell wtf they're looking to get for that 15th slot.
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#31 » by NYKnicksFTW » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:09 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
NYKnicksFTW wrote:
blueNorange wrote:the 15th man better have more than one suit or else he'll look dumb wearing the same thing every game.

also marbury is garbage and jamawful crawful is great at making brick houses.

1. Granted

2. Crawford was awesome. One of the most clutch Knicks in recent memory

Side question, how do I put up an avatar? What's considered an "acceptable site" to post from? I keep trying to post an icon picture from the net, but it keeps giving me the same message.

ignore him

he's never made a post yet that wasn't trying to just spread his miserable negativity all over everyone

welcome to the board NYKnicksFTW

Thanks, man. Glad to be aboard. I'm really optimistic about this season.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,309

Post#32 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:25 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:Technically we don't have any open spot. Now STFU and GTFO!

Technically, we do. I'd actually like to get a legit player with the last available spot because i think this bench lacks depth, but is rather filled with guys who are "ifs." If KOQ and Jennings bounce back, if Kuz, WIlly and Ndour translate their skill to the NBA, if Holiday takes then next step (he's already 27). So while their may be talent on this team, i'd like to get a more proven NBA player for the bench than another young guy. Another young guy sitting at the end of the bench isn't going to help push this team into a contender. We already have plenty of younger players with no NBA experience: Plumlee, Ndour, Willy, Kuz. Go get Lance Stephenson!

No we don't. Facts are your friend. Until we waive a player(Baker/Plumlee?) We have 15 players signed. Your hopes and dreams of getting Lance Stephenson for the vet mini don't make it so.
:beer: RIP mags
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#33 » by KnicksScholar24 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:10 am

Welcome.

The Knicks started last season with 14 players, so it is not improbable that they will do so again. It allowed them to add players like Thanasis, Jimmer, and Wroten later in the season.

As for Stephon Marbury, I always thought this dude was given a raw deal by the fans. He, like Melo, probably aren't good enough players to change a franchise into a title contender, but I think Marbury was far from the problem with the Isiah Thomas era roster.

Spoiler:
To me, the problem was Eddy Curry. Hands down. In his best season, he played 35 minutes per game and only averaged 7 rebounds per game. That's one rebound every five minutes from your STARTING CENTER. No non-super team can win with a player like that on the court from 35 out of 48 minutes. He also was a TERRIBLE defender. He average 19.5 PPG that season, but he was a net negative player because of his defense and rebounding. If Thomas targeted Tyson Chandler instead of Eddy Curry, the Marbury years would likely have been MUCH better, imo.

I think that is a similar reason to why the Anthony/Stoudemire years didn't work. It wasn't their "fit on the court" (on offensive end), like the "experts" lead people to belive. It was because Amar'e, much like Curry, was a terrible rebounder and defender and got way too many minutes. His first year in NY, he was such a good offensive player that he wasn't a net negative player. He may have been a slightly net positive player. But every season after that, he was hurting the Knicks when he was on the floor. Bargnani had a similar effect, but he was probably a better post defender/shot blocker than Amar'e in his Knick tenure.

Both Curry and Stoudemire ended up in Miami after their NY stints and both weren't even good bench players. Their offense wasn't as good as it use to be and their defense/rebounding was worse. These big minute/bad rebounding-defensive bigs can ruin a team. There is a reason that the Sixers are looking to trade the 3rd overall pick from last year's draft after one season.

I'm so glad NY has learned their lesson. Noah and Porzingis are going to be net positive players for NY. One of the reason NY's bench was so bad last season, imo, is because KOQ/Seraphin and Derrick Williams (when at PF) were a bad rebounding duo, and their defense was also subpar. I don't think Hernangomez or N'Dour are slouches on the glass or defensively, so I don't see NY having the same weakness this year as they've had in the past.

Overall, I don't see any major holes in this season's roster, but I would liked to have added a proven scorer to the bench, because career 39% shooter Brandon Jennings might not be enough scoring off the bench. Thomas has been efficient, but he's not really a play-maker/shot-creator and he's only been good offensively for one season. The international players like Kuzminskas and Hernangomez, as well as Justin Holiday, are going to have to step up in order for 'bench scoring' not to be a concern.

Anyway, I do think a 3rd-string PG is needed, because Jennings is insurance for Rose, but we have no insurance for Jennings. The 3rd-string PG should be proven because he may need to move into the backup PG role if Rose or Jennings go down for any stretch of time. None of the other Knicks players are really able to step in that role, except maybe Sasha.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Post#34 » by captvict » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

No we don't. Facts are your friend. Until we waive a player(Baker/Plumlee?) We have 15 players signed. Your hopes and dreams of getting Lance Stephenson for the vet mini don't make it so.

Exactly. And I'm sure phil ain't waiving Baker and or Plumlee at this point until he sees them in camp

Imo Phil isn't looking to fill anymore spots right now.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#35 » by BeagleBoss » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:44 pm

I think we should go for an experienced PG since Rose and Jennings are injury prone. Someone like Kirk Hinrich or Steve Blake.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#36 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:44 pm

I don't know why you guys are bickering about roster spots

We can go into training camp and preseason with as many as we want
We have to shed right before the season starts

So even if plumlee, baker and Ndour are guaranteed something any of them could get sent packing in favor of anyone else
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#37 » by BeagleBoss » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

Teams usually have 18-20 players signed before camp. Baker and Plumlee are likely going to Westchester anyway.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,306

Post#38 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Bring in a few guys and let them battle it out in training camp and preseason.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#39 » by Thorn » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Bring in a few guys and let them battle it out in training camp and preseason.

I think this is the right approach.
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#40 » by CJackson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Bring in a few guys and let them battle it out in training camp and preseason.

This is the only way

Return to New York Knicks