ImageImageImageImageImage

Vice: What the City of Chicago Really Lost When Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose Left Town

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,575

Vice: What the City of Chicago Really Lost When Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose Left Town 

Post#1 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:34 pm

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/what-the-city-of-chicago-really-lost-when-joakim-noah-and-derrick-rose-left-town

Four years ago, Cobe Williams, a Chicago ex-convict who has made it his life's work to stop the violence on the South Side of his hometown, saw Joakim Noah tweet about the documentary The Interrupters. Williams stars in the film, which follows him and a few friends as they routinely go into Chicago's most dangerous neighborhoods and "interrupt" fights before they start.

Soon after that tweet, Williams and Noah connected on Twitter, and ended up meeting at a P.F. Chang's in Deerfield, Illinois to discuss ways Noah could do something to help quell the rising violence in Chicago. At first, Williams was unsure what to expect. But within a couple weeks, he brought 15 gang members from Englewood out to Deerfield to eat dinner with Noah. As Williams describes it, Noah did not touch his meal. Instead, he immersed himself in the stories of 15 forgotten young men. Later, they went to shoot hoops at the Bulls practice facility. No press or Instagrams documented the occasion. This was for the kids.

It's hard sometimes not to be glib about NBA free agency. Take out the breathless, wall-to-wall coverage, the Reddit conspiracy theories, the crazy money, and the flurry of players switching teams, and the NBA is like any other business. The New York Knicks signing or trading for a Chicago Bulls player isn't much different than a company like Uber poaching Facebook's Head of Communications, or Danny Meyer finding a new sous chef from a Brooklyn restaurant.

But what has happened to the Bulls and the city of Chicago this summer is different. Rose's operatic highs and lows and Noah's indomitable on-court spark will be missed by basketball fans. But putting sports aside, the loss of both players in a single swoop is devastating—particularly the people who can't afford $200 tickets to the United Center.

I'd heard about Rose contributing to his community but not so much about Noah. Read the whole article fam, it's not too long and it really captures the character of the players we've brought in. This is gonna be the easiest crew to root for in a long time imho. They're legit dudes with chips on their shoulders, plenty to prove and the talent to surprise nay sayers, but even if they fail, this definitely feels like the "culture" Phil wanted to instill.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,449

Re: Vice: What the City of Chicago Really Lost When Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose Left Town 

Post#2 » by JXL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Truly strong connection with Rose and Noah immersed in the community. The continued rise of violence in our country only makes national news when the media brings it to light. They don't bring into light what's really going on in the run-downed streets where gang violence is tearing families and a whole city apart. Rose and Noah really cared to stopping it, even though both came from different backgrounds, they had 1 common goal. Just like on the court, they are true caring human beings.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
tapshotta
Junior
And1: 169

Re: Vice: What the City of Chicago Really Lost When Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose Left Town 

Post#3 » by tapshotta » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:02 pm

stand up guys. I'm happy to have that edge and candor back. I miss the it. Pat, Starks, Mase, Oak, Spree, Camby, Childs, Crazy Eyes.
10 toes down type of men who didn't back down or bite their tongue. We're close.

There are so many personalities.

I really hope Phil is hands on this year. He manages people better than anyone else.
hominy ad sugar
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,211

Post#4 » by BBALLER4FR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:02 pm

j4remi wrote:https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/what-the-city-of-chicago-really-lost-when-joakim-noah-and-derrick-rose-left-town

Four years ago, Cobe Williams, a Chicago ex-convict who has made it his life's work to stop the violence on the South Side of his hometown, saw Joakim Noah tweet about the documentary The Interrupters. Williams stars in the film, which follows him and a few friends as they routinely go into Chicago's most dangerous neighborhoods and "interrupt" fights before they start.

Soon after that tweet, Williams and Noah connected on Twitter, and ended up meeting at a P.F. Chang's in Deerfield, Illinois to discuss ways Noah could do something to help quell the rising violence in Chicago. At first, Williams was unsure what to expect. But within a couple weeks, he brought 15 gang members from Englewood out to Deerfield to eat dinner with Noah. As Williams describes it, Noah did not touch his meal. Instead, he immersed himself in the stories of 15 forgotten young men. Later, they went to shoot hoops at the Bulls practice facility. No press or Instagrams documented the occasion. This was for the kids.

It's hard sometimes not to be glib about NBA free agency. Take out the breathless, wall-to-wall coverage, the Reddit conspiracy theories, the crazy money, and the flurry of players switching teams, and the NBA is like any other business. The New York Knicks signing or trading for a Chicago Bulls player isn't much different than a company like Uber poaching Facebook's Head of Communications, or Danny Meyer finding a new sous chef from a Brooklyn restaurant.

But what has happened to the Bulls and the city of Chicago this summer is different. Rose's operatic highs and lows and Noah's indomitable on-court spark will be missed by basketball fans. But putting sports aside, the loss of both players in a single swoop is devastating—particularly the people who can't afford $200 tickets to the United Center.

I'd heard about Rose contributing to his community but not so much about Noah. Read the whole article fam, it's not too long and it really captures the character of the players we've brought in. This is gonna be the easiest crew to root for in a long time imho. They're legit dudes with chips on their shoulders, plenty to prove and the talent to surprise nay sayers, but even if they fail, this definitely feels like the "culture" Phil wanted to instill.

Been saying this since the Rose trade when he was openly recruiting Noah. This duo is going to up the Knicks in the W/L column AND, with Melo/KP/Lee, they are going to be the easiest starting 5 to root for in the league. Just good dudes who want to give back.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#5 » by EchelonNYK » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:03 pm

Yada Yada. Now let's help the Knicks win some games.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,211

Post#6 » by BBALLER4FR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:05 pm

echelonNYK wrote:Yada Yada. Now let's help the Knicks win some games.

Thanks DAD!

Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#7 » by AmazingJason » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:09 pm

No worries, Chicago. I'm sure Doug McDermott will pick up the slack :D
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
trophywinner
Junior
And1: 353

Post#8 » by trophywinner » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:19 pm

it got lost after lebron did it, but just know derrick rose was the first to wear the 'i can't breathe' shirt that many of the game's high profile players were wearing a few years back. noah and rose are both high character individuals, both leaders.

"I had the shirt made, my best friend Randall brought it to the game, and I decided to wear it," Rose said. "It wasn't any one [person's] idea, I just thought I wanted to support something that happened. That's what made me wear the shirt."

"I Can't Breathe" were the last words of Eric Garner, the 43-year-old New York man who was choked to death by a New York City police officer in July. The incident drew national headlines last week when it was announced the police officer would not face criminal charges.

Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#9 » by Amsterdam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:23 pm

j4remi wrote:https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/what-the-city-of-chicago-really-lost-when-joakim-noah-and-derrick-rose-left-town

Bro, if I can give you 21 And1s for this post, I would. Phil has thought profoundly about not only player's skill on the court but their identity and heart as leaders. You can see the Phil effect on Melo, no?
The leadership of our core 5 cannot be overstated.

Thank you again.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,874

Post#10 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:29 pm

im loving the new guys but Noah especially

this guy is old school NY basketball, and he's everything thats right and also everything thats uncomfortable about athletes

he wears his emotions on his sleeves for good and bad
I respect that

id rather that than some media obsessed athlete who always says and does the right thing in front of the camera but when there are no cameras can't be bothered

by the way, thats Shump and LBJ sadly. Or so Ive learned from my friends who've worked with them. Amazingly self important guys who only want to look good and interested when the cameras are pointed at them.

Marbs was the heart on his sleeves guy too but he was unlikable and insane. its a fine balance
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#11 » by Bill Pidto » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:19 pm

You have a small penis
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,874

Post#12 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:

You have a small penis

perhaps you're just used to especially big ones
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,422
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#13 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:38 pm

2 knees and 3 shoulders?

JK, JK. These two are great dudes. I might not like the move too much on the court but I commend Phil for keeping lower IQ and bad personality dudes away. One thing I could say about last year's team is that I love the effort and drive most players had and that's usually something I can't say.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#14 » by jc23 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:29 pm

Obviously Rose will continue to be a voice in the community and it seems Noah has a connection that will continue as well. Both good guys off the court.
Be curious, Not judgmental
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,013

Post#15 » by NYKinMIA » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:40 am

Good shyt. Warms the heart to read these dudes genuinely care.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,404
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#16 » by BKlutch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:01 am

Bill Pidto wrote:

You have a small penis

But his hands are ok.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,404
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#17 » by BKlutch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 am

NoLayupRule wrote:im loving the new guys but Noah especially

this guy is old school NY basketball, and he's everything thats right and also everything thats uncomfortable about athletes

he wears his emotions on his sleeves for good and bad
I respect that

id rather that than some media obsessed athlete who always says and does the right thing in front of the camera but when there are no cameras can't be bothered

by the way, thats Shump and LBJ sadly. Or so Ive learned from my friends who've worked with them. Amazingly self important guys who only want to look good and interested when the cameras are pointed at them.

Marbs was the heart on his sleeves guy too but he was unlikable and insane. its a fine balance

When you see Noah policing the lane, you're going to think the 90s have returned.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

NYKNICKPLAYA
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#18 » by NYKNICKPLAYA » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 am

Did we even get a discount with Noah? Maybe a couple million...not sure how many teams would've risked the length of the deal.

But I'm very excited about Noah.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,575

Post#19 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:02 pm

NYKNICKPLAYA wrote:Did we even get a discount with Noah? Maybe a couple million...not sure how many teams would've risked the length of the deal.

But I'm very excited about Noah.

Yes, the Wizards were willing to make a higher offer (the max offer rumor seems bogus but other reports said they were gonna go higher than the Knicks) to get him but he wouldn't even entertain other teams. That's the only team I've seen name dropped, but the other reports were that most GM's were in "why bother" mode because it was known that he was going to NY.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Knicks