ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo FIBA vs. Melo Knick

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Re: Melo FIBA vs. Melo Knick 

Post#21 » by whocares1 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 2:01 am

Greenie wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:I love the "talent" that supposedly would be around Melo if we didn't do the trade

Go back some time and take a look at

- the game logs for Gallo / WC before the Melo deal. Quite the number of duds
- we didn't have max cap space. We would of had to let WC go
- Moz has had 1 good season. Before that, he was a bench guy for DEN
- some NYK fans act like they would of really been pining to keep WC and Gallo through all the games they missed

You want to see a real debacle? Look at all the transactions since the Melo deal. Highlighted by:

- opting in then amnestying Billups, removing the chance to amnesty Amare and add to the Melo / Chandler duo
- letting Lin go, despite the fact he would of expired the same year as Amare and Chandler
- trading an unprotected 1st and 2 2nds for Bargs, whom TOR was dying to dump by all reports
- the Chandler deal which we didn't get one piece that is still on this team 2 years later

Im not sure I've ever seen such a terrible job from a franchise after acquiring a top 10 player via trade

EXACTLY!

I don't think anybody wanted that package to stay with the Knicks. If you look at the package that the Clippers gave to get Chris Paul, the Melo package was worth more. So if Melo had waited, Knicks could've possibly traded for Paul. Not to mention that Amare injured himself dunking before the game against the Celtics. The Knicks likely miss the playoffs without Melo so Amare would've been resting at that point. Chris Paul is close friends with both of them and the possibility was definitely there for them to form a big three here in NY.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#22 » by Greenie » Fri Aug 5, 2016 2:26 am

whocares1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:I love the "talent" that supposedly would be around Melo if we didn't do the trade

- some NYK fans act like they would of really been pining to keep WC and Gallo through all the games they missed

You want to see a real debacle? Look at all the transactions since the Melo deal. Highlighted by:

- opting in then amnestying Billups, removing the chance to amnesty Amare and add to the Melo / Chandler duo
- letting Lin go, despite the fact he would of expired the same year as Amare and Chandler
- trading an unprotected 1st and 2 2nds for Bargs, whom TOR was dying to dump by all reports
- the Chandler deal which we didn't get one piece that is still on this team 2 years later

Im not sure I've ever seen such a terrible job from a franchise after acquiring a top 10 player via trade

EXACTLY!

I don't think anybody wanted that package to stay with the Knicks. If you look at the package that the Clippers gave to get Chris Paul, the Melo package was worth more. So if Melo had waited, Knicks could've possibly traded for Paul. Not to mention that Amare injured himself dunking before the game against the Celtics. The Knicks likely miss the playoffs without Melo so Amare would've been resting at that point. Chris Paul is close friends with both of them and the possibility was definitely there for them to form a big three here in NY.

What don't you understand about the cap? We didn't have the money to sign Melo outright....and no he wasn't supposed to appease you and leave some cash on the table.

CP3 was not a FA either. He was traded for. We couldn't have both even if Melo waited. Some of those "assets" would have had to been renounced just to sign Melo.

We played our hand wrong starting in the 2009-2010 season with that fuqing Rockets trade. That's before Melo or STAT was a damn Knick.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#23 » by whocares1 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 2:46 am

That Rockets trade was to create capspace. And I'm not sure about the cap situation but CP3 was definitely possible. Don't know what the CP3 contract looked like but he wasn't making big money. No need to be rude I'm not saying Melo has to do **** for anyone, but if he wanted to win he would've waited. Simple as that, I'm not mad at him tho he probably didn't think the Chris Paul situation would even happen.

EDIT: Who's contract did we have at the moment that would've prevented Melo signing. It's not like this is foreign talk, NBA analysts were saying this.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#24 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:59 am

the logic of the video is flawed
you can't have a knicks team with as many talents as national team, of course the defense will load up on Melo, even if he is the second best player in the Knicks .......since the NBA defense is light years better than international BB... NBA teams will never give Melo that many good looks...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#25 » by JBreezeNY » Fri Aug 5, 2016 7:47 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:the logic of the video is flawed
you can't have a knicks team with as many talents as national team, of course the defense will load up on Melo, even if he is the second best player in the Knicks .......since the NBA defense is light years better than international BB... NBA teams will never give Melo that many good looks...

Rewatch the video.

He spoke on the defense & the Melo not needing a starting all star team.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#26 » by Greenie » Fri Aug 5, 2016 1:04 pm

whocares1 wrote:That Rockets trade was to create capspace. And I'm not sure about the cap situation but CP3 was definitely possible. Don't know what the CP3 contract looked like but he wasn't making big money. No need to be rude I'm not saying Melo has to do **** for anyone, but if he wanted to win he would've waited. Simple as that, I'm not mad at him tho he probably didn't think the Chris Paul situation would even happen.

EDIT: Who's contract did we have at the moment that would've prevented Melo signing. It's not like this is foreign talk, NBA analysts were saying this.

First, you should know these "analysts" don't know sh*t. Throw that out of the window from the jump.

Second, Wilson Chandler would have had to have been renounced. His contract was up. A couple of others as well. Remember also that Gallo was going into his last year.
So we didn't have the cash to even sign Melo. Unless he took less.

That's your two major "assets" in the Melo trade right there. One would have had to walk the same year and the other would have been gone the very next.

The Houston trade was to create cap space. We also used our lotto draftee to do so. People love to say we would have given up Curry for Melo when in reality we would have given up Curry for T-Mac...

As I said we played our cards all wrong starting with that Rocket trade.

Stop saying if Melo wanted to win he would have waited. That pisses me off. We gave up crap to get him. Gallo and Chandler are still living off of potential, Ray actually came back...and sucked and Mozgov is a bench player/spot starter at best. Those damn picks didn't need to hurt us.

Melo has been here since February 2011. We have had more than ample time to surround him with proper talent and be a staple in the eastern conference playoffs. This is the Knicks though, so we give Melo crap teammates year after year after year and look at him sideways when he can't earn both his check and theirs.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#27 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Aug 5, 2016 1:24 pm

Triple C wrote:

Thats really great stuff

We all know that Olympic melo is at his best

This break down really goes far toward explaining why

I've long believed that his supporting cast was 90% of the reason for his disappointing play
His success as a pure scorer on offense vs a do it all playmaker and late clock bail out guy makes perfect sense

God I hope this year sees us supporting him and allowing him to thrive
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#28 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Aug 5, 2016 1:45 pm

Faster pace, more PnR, more threes, better PG play, more penetration, better teammates...Melo is being set up to have a very good season
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#29 » by blumatic » Fri Aug 5, 2016 1:56 pm

I mean we've all been saying this for years. Melo has had the worst roster of players out of any of his peers.

Only one was an all star and that was for one year in Tyson Chandler. No one else came close.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#30 » by dakomish23 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 2:10 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

EXACTLY!

Hindsight is 20/20

Gordon at that time was considered to be on the brink of super stardom at that time. He just came off a season averaging 22 PPG. By far a superior asset to Gallo or WC or Moz.

They also gave up their lottery pick from the year before - Aminu.

They also gave up a top 10 lottery pick from Minnesota.

That is easily a better package at the time than what the Knick gave up. Plus the Knicks got Billups, who people forget was coming off another ASG appearance that year. The "experts" never bring it up because they like CP3 and his game. Everyone ignores that LAC has gotten just as far in the playoffs as the NYK have since both deals transpired.

You want to see a terrible deal in hindsight? Look at what BKN gave up for DWill. Favors, who id take over anyone of the assets in all 3 of the deals, plus the 3rd pick in the 2011 draft, which included Jonas, Klay, Kawhi Kemba etc. they blew it on Kanter, but we're playing the hindsight game so now we know how valuable it could of been.

Did we give up a lot for Melo? Maybe. Did we have our only success in the last 15 years because of it? Absolutely.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#31 » by Thorn » Fri Aug 5, 2016 7:59 pm

I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive I want Knick Melo on a team that allows him to play like FIBA Melo. Playmakers, shooters... I want an offense and talent that allows us to space the floor. I want a team that can pass the ball and find the open man.

Melo is clearly much better when put in those situations, and I agree with many our franchise has done a horrible job of building a team around Melo through mismanagement of assets and a number of other screw ups.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#32 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 5, 2016 8:39 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:Faster pace, more PnR, more threes, better PG play, more penetration, better teammates...Melo is being set up to have a very good season

We're planning to let him play close to the way he's playing for the Olympics. So if we get more out of him, we'll go even further this year. I'm looking forward to this so much.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#33 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Aug 5, 2016 8:52 pm

BKlutch wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:Faster pace, more PnR, more threes, better PG play, more penetration, better teammates...Melo is being set up to have a very good season

We're planning to let him play close to the way he's playing for the Olympics. So if we get more out of him, we'll go even further this year. I'm looking forward to this so much.

This should be the easiest the game has been for Melo since he's been here. The season needs to hurry up and start already.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#34 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 5, 2016 8:54 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

This should be the easiest the game has been for Melo since he's been here. The season needs to hurry up and start already.

Yes. I was going to write this. I almost accused you of plagiarizing my post, until I realized I didn't say this yet. :lol:

So I guess I really thing this is what's going to happen, and I really want September to pass by quickly.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#35 » by Triple C » Fri Aug 5, 2016 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Dad Melo
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#36 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Aug 6, 2016 1:05 pm

Greenie wrote:
whocares1 wrote:That Rockets trade was to create capspace. And I'm not sure about the cap situation but CP3 was definitely possible. Don't know what the CP3 contract looked like but he wasn't making big money. No need to be rude I'm not saying Melo has to do **** for anyone, but if he wanted to win he would've waited. Simple as that, I'm not mad at him tho he probably didn't think the Chris Paul situation would even happen.

First, you should know these "analysts" don't know sh*t. Throw that out of the window from the jump.

Second, Wilson Chandler would have had to have been renounced. His contract was up. A couple of others as well. Remember also that Gallo was going into his last year.

That's your two major "assets" in the Melo trade right there. One would have had to walk the same year and the other would have been gone the very next.

The Houston trade was to create cap space. We also used our lotto draftee to do so. People love to say we would have given up Curry for Melo when in reality we would have given up Curry for T-Mac...

Stop saying if Melo wanted to win he would have waited. That pisses me off. We gave up crap to get him. Gallo and Chandler are still living off of potential, Ray actually came back...and sucked and Mozgov is a bench player/spot starter at best. Those damn picks didn't need to hurt us.

Melo has been here since February 2011. We have had more than ample time to surround him with proper talent and be a staple in the eastern conference playoffs. This is the Knicks though, so we give Melo crap teammates year after year after year and look at him sideways when he can't earn both his check and theirs.

What was wrong with that Rockets trade was that Donnie (and most fans) approached it as if we would have surely gotten LeBron if we would have gotten that extra cap space needed to sign a sidekick of his choosing.
99 Knicks
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#37 » by 99 Knicks » Sat Aug 6, 2016 2:03 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
Greenie wrote:

What was wrong with that Rockets trade was that Donnie (and most fans) approached it as if we would have surely gotten LeBron if we would have gotten that extra cap space needed to sign a sidekick of his choosing.

This organization did everything necessary to try and land a star(LeBron) and then got a star via him making sure we got him(Melo) and then not building a proper roster to help him help. We tried to do what Miami/Boston did then we tried to build Dallas 2.0. We then found Melo at the 4 which was giving teams trouble and went away from it for Bargs. Never have we stuck to a plan and executed it.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#38 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Aug 7, 2016 12:12 am

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:
Johnstarks wrote:I think it goes to show why you shouldn't force a trade to a team. If he'd just signed as a free agent the knicks would have had better talent surrounding him. But he wanted the max money and I definitely understand that. They really need to shakeup the contract rules this next cba

I can't believe people are still repeating this false narrative.

Melo did not want to be in Denver anymore, but he also wanted his extension signed before the CBA expired. NY was his first choice, but he was going to extend with whomever traded for him. He didn't want the uncertainty of not being signed while waiting for the new CBA to be figured out. So in that sense, he couldn't sign as a free agent with NY.

I don't even bother arguing against that anymore cause it's true, Melo could've definitley waited until the summer. And yes he wanted his max. Many players want the max, many players have recieved the max and many players now make a max greater than Melos.

However he didn't wait til the summer, he demanded a trade and we engaged in one that many feel we lost. When can we ask ourselves why the Knicks always lose trades. When can we ever dominate a trade?

All talk about what Melo could've done instead of demand a trade takes the onus away from the knicks to shove it down another teams throat. The knick haven't made many awesome moves AROUND Melo since we got him and weren't so good at making moves before we got him. Our previous signing was a guy who was paid more than Melo, had one good season in a 4 year deal and spent more time in extracurricular activities than on the court. The Knicks could've made that trade 10 times over and still compensated for its percieved flaws had they not made countless other bad moves since that trade.

However I happen to not hate this era as much as most. Do I have disappointments? Sure, but for the most part I enjoyed the era. I loved the entire Woodson era and now Phil is getting some talent together to make us competetive again. I just hope he's keeling his eye out for more young talents going forward.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#39 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 12:42 am

One little detail from tonight's game: one time, when the ball was above the rim, Melo jumped to the hoop and tried swatting it off (since that's legal in FIBA), which shows quick thinking. That's not that easy to do when your mind is programmed that you should NEVER, EVER do that. It shows flexibility/adaptability of one's mind.

Just thought it was interesting.

Return to New York Knicks