ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil has done well, and his evolution as GM

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Re: Phil has done well, and his evolution as GM 

Post#21 » by Rotten Apple » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:17 pm

There's no difference in 17 points vs 19 points....team success will be the ultimate decider in at the end of the day. He can average 28 and we can miss the playoffs or he can average 18 and we can win 55 games. Ultimately its about winning. I think we need to keep in my mind that winning will always give you an advantage when team building whether it be adding quality scouts and front office personnel, Elite coaches looking to take us to the next level and of course free agents.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#22 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:42 pm

Umm under Phil we've won less games in three seasons than the Warriors won in one season. Let's curb our enthusiasm here. We haven't won anything. We thought our team was decent a couple of years ago and had the worst record in our franchises history. Granted we did need to get rid of JR and Shump. Tyson had quit on the team everyone seems to forget that before the trade he just stopped caring. People want to crown him executive of the year or whatever sorry that needs to go to Boston, Toronto, Golden State or the Spurs. We haven't won anything yet let's atleast play out the first 30 games before we assess how this off season went.
ciregno
Junior
And1: 193

Post#23 » by ciregno » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:06 pm

KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 wrote:Umm under Phil we've won less games in three seasons than the Warriors won in one season. Let's curb our enthusiasm here. We haven't won anything. We thought our team was decent a couple of years ago and had the worst record in our franchises history. Granted we did need to get rid of JR and Shump. Tyson had quit on the team everyone seems to forget that before the trade he just stopped caring. People want to crown him executive of the year or whatever sorry that needs to go to Boston, Toronto, Golden State or the Spurs. We haven't won anything yet let's atleast play out the first 30 games before we assess how this off season went.

While I agree with a good chunk of those post, I will also say that it takes more than 3 seasons to build a team identity. However, I think this year looks to be the year that we finally break through. Phil learned a lot these past 3 seasons, and the fact that he hired Hornacek is a sign that he's ready to change his stubborn approach and make necessary adjustments. We'll see how it goes.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,328

Post#24 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:26 pm

I like the moves that have been made and am excited for the season, but a lot can go wrong...hope for the best, prepare for the worst
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,069

Post#25 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:I like the moves that have been made and am excited for the season, but a lot can go wrong...hope for the best, prepare for the worst

We have our pick. Going wrong won't be as bad now as it was in the past.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,178

Post#26 » by Capn'O » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:04 pm

GONYK wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I like the moves that have been made and am excited for the season, but a lot can go wrong...hope for the best, prepare for the worst

The line in the sand Phil drew this past year with keeping our 2018 pick was so glorious. It's like I don't even need to argue about stuff anymore.

I'm all like "NO! WE'RE NOT IN POSITION TO TRADE FUTURE FIRST ROUND PICKS BECAUSE... eh, Phil's got it covered."
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#27 » by CJackson » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Capn'O wrote:
GONYK wrote:

The line in the sand Phil drew this past year with keeping our 2018 pick was so glorious. It's like I don't even need to argue about stuff anymore.

I'm all like "NO! WE'RE NOT IN POSITION TO TRADE FUTURE FIRST ROUND PICKS BECAUSE... eh, Phil's got it covered."

I didn't know how sexually arousing retaining our first round picks could be
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,178

Post#28 » by Capn'O » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:28 pm

CJackson wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
GONYK wrote:

You stay away from my mole.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Rodimus921
Veteran
And1: 101

Post#29 » by Rodimus921 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:28 pm

Do you guys think that Knicks would have had a chance to get Wade? We all thought that Wade was pulling a Grant hill, but he did leave. That makes me wonder if Phill should had went hard on Wade. We probably wouldnt be able to re-sign Lance Thomas.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#30 » by CJackson » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Capn'O wrote:
CJackson wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

You stay away from my mole.

If Danny Trejo can't handle it, then I'm out

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,020

Post#31 » by DaGawd » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Rodimus921 wrote:Do you guys think that Knicks would have had a chance to get Wade? We all thought that Wade was pulling a Grant hill, but he did leave. That makes me wonder if Phill should had went hard on Wade. We probably wouldnt be able to re-sign Lance Thomas.

In honesty Lee is a better fit in the starting lineup than Wade. Still would've been fun to have a Rose Wade Melo KP Noah lineup
BaF
Washington Wizards
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#32 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:36 pm

ciregno wrote:
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 wrote:Umm under Phil we've won less games in three seasons than the Warriors won in one season. Let's curb our enthusiasm here. We haven't won anything. We thought our team was decent a couple of years ago and had the worst record in our franchises history. Granted we did need to get rid of JR and Shump. Tyson had quit on the team everyone seems to forget that before the trade he just stopped caring. People want to crown him executive of the year or whatever sorry that needs to go to Boston, Toronto, Golden State or the Spurs. We haven't won anything yet let's atleast play out the first 30 games before we assess how this off season went.

While I agree with a good chunk of those post, I will also say that it takes more than 3 seasons to build a team identity. However, I think this year looks to be the year that we finally break through. Phil learned a lot these past 3 seasons, and the fact that he hired Hornacek is a sign that he's ready to change his stubborn approach and make necessary adjustments. We'll see how it goes.

While I'll give him credit for wanting Kerr he's also the guy who brought in Fisher. Phil also said he himself did a great job last year.

And even after he hired Hornachek he comes out and blamed the players for not being able to run the triangle. I know if my boss had a company that was performing crappy the last 3 years I want to hear him say he messed up not that his employees suck. I hope this is the year we turn it around but we are putting this season on the knees and shoulders of Rose and Noah, pun intended.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,328

Post#33 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:39 pm

GONYK wrote:

That is definitely true. Thank you Phil for that.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#34 » by TheBigBoss » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Rodimus921 wrote:Do you guys think that Knicks would have had a chance to get Wade? We all thought that Wade was pulling a Grant hill, but he did leave. That makes me wonder if Phill should had went hard on Wade. We probably wouldnt be able to re-sign Lance Thomas.

If it wasnt for the Rose trade, we would have gotten Wade I think for the following reasons:
1) He is boys with Melo
2) He would have been a better fit here than in Chicago
3) His wife wanted to come here for career purposes.
4) Wade coming to NYK to make them a contender would have really been sticking it to Riley who he is mad at.

I think an interesting question is would Lopez/Wade have been better to have here than Noah/Rose? And who would we have been able to get if we went that route?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,546

Post#35 » by Fat Kat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Wade's gonna turn into a pumpkin this year. Book it!
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#36 » by el13adnino » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:01 pm

porzingis is the only thing he has to show for (so far)
:crazy:
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#37 » by Sark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:10 pm

DaGawd wrote:

In honesty Lee is a better fit in the starting lineup than Wade. Still would've been fun to have a Rose Wade Melo KP Noah lineup

At that point, you should just bench KP, and bring Greg Oden over from China.

Rose Wade Melo Noah Oden - not a knee that has been opened.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#38 » by CJackson » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Sark wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

Fumes are taking their toll

You need to stop smelling your hand
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#39 » by Sark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 pm

CJackson wrote:
Sark wrote:
DaGawd wrote:In honesty Lee is a better fit in the starting lineup than Wade. Still would've been fun to have a Rose Wade Melo KP Noah lineup

Fumes are taking their toll

You need to stop smelling your hand

Working as intended.
NYKNICKPLAYA
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#40 » by NYKNICKPLAYA » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Getting rid of Hardaway was a good move. Even if Grant isn't good, it helped get Rose.

Phil has signed guys on good contracts too which is an underrated aspect of President.

That also helped in the Rose trade (Lopez contract).

KOQ isn't that good but he's better than his contract, IMHO.

All of the guys that are on the team are basically trade-able. Maybe except Noah (until he proves he's worth it).

For the market price, C-Lee is a great value. Carmelo is a heck of a value at this moment. If Willy, Kuzaminkas turn out to be good, they are on STEAL values.

Return to New York Knicks