ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Ben Simmons Broke His Foot

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Re: OT: Ben Simmons Broke His Foot 

Post#41 » by NY2TheBay » Sat Oct 1, 2016 8:11 am

DaGawd wrote:At least they have Carson Wentz

Yeah fuq that guy. I lost good money and even had my girl drop some coin on the steelers vs eagles spread last weekend. He's legit but dont want to see his name right now.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#42 » by kane » Sat Oct 1, 2016 8:14 am

NY2TheBay wrote:
kane wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:I do feel a little bad for that fanbase that has been put through hell with this rebuild and with Embiid being on the mend for 2 years.

They'll probably fall in the top 3 of the lottery again this year. Crazy.

Yeah I feel sorry for the fans but I'm sure management is secretly happy about this on the DL.... embiid misses 2 years but coal missed his first season and most of his second, even oakafor missed a stretch last year

The 76ers will probably get a top 3 pick and they will take another big man.... everyone says this is a guards league now and that's not right, they all just keep getting sucked into the black hole of philly

I disagree, I think they are feeling the pressure now from the league office, their fans and even agents. Thats why they brought in colangelo and got rid of hinkie.

That's why I said they were happy on the DL, instead of drafting guys like embiid and coal that everyone knows they will miss their first year they got a good player and the injury happened post draft so they can't be held accountable :lol:
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#43 » by br7knicks » Sat Oct 1, 2016 11:31 am

magnumt wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:Fractured his fifth metatarsal in his right foot... in context, brook Lopez had two surgeries to deal with the same injury a few years ago.

Simmons also gained 30 pounds of muscle from college to now. That could have led to this injury

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

They should've done it like NY did with Porzingis, slow and with careful zoned strengthening to offer support before adding heavy weight.

--Mags

I've never heard of zoned strengthening. Is it common? I'm 5'9 and should be 155 lbs to be healthy. But because I have bad knees (Osgood schlatters that hasn't gone away - my doctor said my case is not normal for a 29 year old), he wants me at 150. Over the past year I have put on weight, and am now about 177 lbs. I do need surgery, but I'd like to know more about zoned training. Seems self explanatory but I've never heard of it
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#44 » by Bill Pidto » Sat Oct 1, 2016 11:53 am

NY2TheBay wrote:I do feel a little bad for that fanbase that has been put through hell with this rebuild and with Embiid being on the mend for 2 years.

There's a large portion of that fan base that are major A-holes and hate NYers. My sister has lived in Philly for 13 years. I'm there all the time. Almost had to throw down once for walking through South Philly in a Yankees hoodie. Wasn't trying to make a statement, just trying to stay warm, but morons do what morons do. Die-hard sports fans of Philadelphia can eat a dick. I hope KP keeps them out of the 2nd round for the next decade if they can ever even make the playoffs.

Also, I don't think they needed Simmons to break his foot for them to be back in the top 3 of the lottery this year. That team and franchise flat-out sucks. It's a shame because Allen Iverson is what got me into basketball as a kid. The Sixers used to be the sh*t. Now they're just sh*t.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#45 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Oct 1, 2016 12:32 pm

2013-4 Nerlens Noel misses the entire season, recovering from knee surgery.

2014-6 Joel Emiid has a broken navicular bone in his right foot, requiring multiple surgeries to heal.

2015-6 Jahlil Okafor suffers a knee injury during his rookie season.

That's some legacy.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#46 » by King of Canada » Sat Oct 1, 2016 12:47 pm

At least he didn't hurt it kicking a fire hydrant
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#47 » by dakomish23 » Sat Oct 1, 2016 3:02 pm

The doctor on BSPN was saying 8 weeks to put pressure on it and 4 weeks till full recovery. Maybe he'll play by January.

I don't wish this on any fan base.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,919

Post#48 » by SelbyCobra » Sat Oct 1, 2016 5:00 pm

dakomish23 wrote:I don't wish this on any fan base.

Boston.

I'd wish it on Boston fans, without question.

CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#49 » by CJackson » Sat Oct 1, 2016 5:09 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:

There's a large portion of that fan base that are major A-holes and hate NYers. My sister has lived in Philly for 13 years. I'm there all the time. Almost had to throw down once for walking through South Philly in a Yankees hoodie. Wasn't trying to make a statement, just trying to stay warm, but morons do what morons do. Die-hard sports fans of Philadelphia can eat a dick. I hope KP keeps them out of the 2nd round for the next decade if they can ever even make the playoffs.

Also, I don't think they needed Simmons to break his foot for them to be back in the top 3 of the lottery this year. That team and franchise flat-out sucks. It's a shame because Allen Iverson is what got me into basketball as a kid. The Sixers used to be the sh*t. Now they're just sh*t.

This is what Bill Burr has to say to a Philly crowd

NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#50 » by NY2TheBay » Sat Oct 1, 2016 6:24 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:

Ahh, I see. These fans that want to cause problems over other teams apparel are losers. I cant really remember a time when the knicks and sixers were really rivals. Part of the reason I dont rock huge team logos on me, also for the simple fact I dont like to be branded. I dont have issues with knicks gear out here at all. LA dodger gear is where you may have issues, but in general the bay fans are easy going on average.

You could be right about them landing in the top 3 regardless. The atlantic division got even stronger and the east as a whole seems to be better.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#51 » by dakomish23 » Sat Oct 1, 2016 7:54 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:

Boston.

As much as I would enjoy the epic meltdown Bill Simmons would have, I just feel like if you trash another team for a bad scnerio, it will happen to you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,981

Post#52 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Oct 1, 2016 10:24 pm

Carl_Karlson wrote:30 pounds of muscle over the summer doesn't seem...natural

It isn't...:I can smell the jintropin from here
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#53 » by N8isScofield » Sat Oct 1, 2016 11:22 pm

Apples wrote:

Thinking the same...

It's not. You can't gain 30lbs of pure muscle from freaking June/July to September. Arnold couldn't have done it, Phil Heath couldn't have done it, Ronnie Coleman couldn't do it and that's with all of today's "supplements". To gain that much weight a fair amount has to be water and whomever advised him to put that much weight on his frame is a fool. That's far too much at that age and that height.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,919

Post#54 » by SelbyCobra » Sun Oct 2, 2016 2:22 am

dakomish23 wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

Boston.

As much as I would enjoy the epic meltdown Bill Simmons would have, I just feel like if you trash another team for a bad scnerio, it will happen to you.

Eh, I don't believe in cosmic forces concerning the laws of physics. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen - not because of anything I, as a generic fan, think on my own.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#55 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Oct 2, 2016 11:25 am

N8isScofield wrote:
Apples wrote:

Thinking the same...

It's not. You can't gain 30lbs of pure muscle from freaking June/July to September. Arnold couldn't have done it, Phil Heath couldn't have done it, Ronnie Coleman couldn't do it and that's with all of today's "supplements". To gain that much weight a fair amount has to be water and whomever advised him to put that much weight on his frame is a fool. That's far too much at that age and that height.

It wasn't over the summer according to the player himself....

“I am a lot stronger now than I was in college and it will help me take hits and bumps,” Simmons said Monday at the team’s new practice facility in Camden. “When I started [at LSU], I was about 217 and now I’m about 250, so I gained a lot of weight.”
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,354

Post#56 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 2, 2016 1:10 pm

I have to go with the sentiment that Philly fans are such aholes that I don't really care. I'd only want it to happen to boston more.

I care that it happened to Simmons and feel bad for him, could give less than two sh*ts about how Philly fans themselves feel.
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#57 » by CJackson » Sun Oct 2, 2016 4:56 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
Boston.

Eh, I don't believe in cosmic forces concerning the laws of physics. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen - not because of anything I, as a generic fan, think on my own.

In that case we'll call you Soylent Fan
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#58 » by magnumt » Sun Oct 2, 2016 9:58 pm

br7knicks wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:Fractured his fifth metatarsal in his right foot... in context, brook Lopez had two surgeries to deal with the same injury a few years ago.

Simmons also gained 30 pounds of muscle from college to now. That could have led to this injury

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

They should've done it like NY did with Porzingis, slow and with careful zoned strengthening to offer support before adding heavy weight.

--Mags

I've never heard of zoned strengthening. Is it common? I'm 5'9 and should be 155 lbs to be healthy. But because I have bad knees (Osgood schlatters that hasn't gone away - my doctor said my case is not normal for a 29 year old), he wants me at 150. Over the past year I have put on weight, and am now about 177 lbs. I do need surgery, but I'd like to know more about zoned training. Seems self explanatory but I've never heard of it

You're right it is simple. Basically just revolves around proper time invested in recovery. Rather than set a weight goal, you set a strength & conditioning goal. BUT, not just as a , but for EACH area that needs recovery AND the surrounding support areas. This way the body cab slowly adapt to the increased weight while rebuilding its ability to utilize that area.

Military uses a lot of this variations to help people get stronger and also recover from injuries.

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#59 » by taikibansei » Sun Oct 2, 2016 11:52 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:2013-4 Nerlens Noel misses the entire season, recovering from knee surgery.

2014-6 Joel Emiid has a broken navicular bone in his right foot, requiring multiple surgeries to heal.

2015-6 Jahlil Okafor suffers a knee injury during his rookie season.

That's some legacy.

Both Noel and Emiid had red flags for prior, serious injuries going INTO their respective drafts...and were still taken by Hinkie. That they both play the same basic position (center) as Okafor--at a time when rule changes since 2000 have forced the rest of the league to move away from featuring multiple bigs--is also mind-boggling. Basically, "the process" always seemed to me to be their trying to corner the market on oft-injured bigs...in a small-ball era.

Try bringing this up on the General Board though...and watch the 76er mods swarm like sharks to defend the Hinkie honor. :roll: Personally, I think this Japanese term fits their current predicament: tenbatsu.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#60 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:09 am

CJackson wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:What was that line Phil had about upsetting the basketball Gods?

Smoke Peyote first, ask questions later

Smoke peyote? I've never done that. I've eaten peyote. Is there a different high when smoking it?

Return to New York Knicks