ImageImageImageImageImage

Hahn Podcasts destroys Melo!

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mrKnickShot
Junior
And1: 74

Hahn Podcasts destroys Melo! 

Post#1 » by mrKnickShot » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,546

Re: Hahn Podcasts destroys Melo! 

Post#2 » by Fat Kat » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:32 pm

They were right. Didn't say anything that isn't obvious to everyone really watching the games.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#3 » by CJackson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Drum Beats along the Hudson. And so it begins ......
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#4 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:33 pm

This team at best is a slightly over .500 club, first round bow out. Surprised Hahn and Humpty are this emotional to a rather mediocre at best roster.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,024

Post#5 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:15 pm

melo has never been a vocal leader and never will be. isn't that what they paid noah for ?
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#6 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:33 pm

It's 2016 and we still talking about Melo's lack of leadership...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Yeah, to compliment what Shammy said....Chauncey was the leader on Denver when Melo was the MOST effective under George Karl and that's when Nuggets were the closest to the NBA Finals. Other than that, Melo reminds me a lot of Dominique Wilkins in personality. Very dynamic scorer with freakish talents but NOT a guy you consider a lynchpin.

What is indicative of this season:

1. No system can cure a superstar's personality or even their penchant for scoring.

2. Neither Derrick Rose nor Carmelo Anthony are no longer the kind of dominant players who can win a game for you.

3. The team as a whole isn't really interested in playing defense. Doesn't matter what system, you're not going to win. period.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#8 » by JBreezeNY » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Hahn tell me how you really feel :lol:

The fan came out of him quick, the bit about it being too easy for Melo to start playing good for a better team & for him to stay here was interesting because I've heard that quip from others on here as well that he should suffer don't just run away.

The thing with Melo is..we've known this about him since forever. Well at least the people who watched him before he was a Knick.

Melo got by on talent, there is plenty of guys like that. Melo however happens to be an extremely gifted scorer. I've always gotten the vibe that Melo is a go with the flow, jokey, follow the leader kind of guy.

Nothing wrong with that but that is primarily why he's a consistent inconsistent player.

When you make that kind of guy your franchise player you better hope you have a strong #2 to offset that. Never happened with Amare & KP is too young.

For the people who think this is about him being a vocal leader I implore you to listen from the 20 minute mark to the 28 minute mark.

I still remember the video of him struggling to do push-ups at the Olympics & Bron told him to do more. He's never been in peak shape either, he's a notorious cigar smoker & drinks as well. There's a video of him getting lit with Iverson years back, look it up & skip to where Melo starts talking. Just a regular cat getting saucy sh*t talking, being laid back. The fact he allowed himself to even get caught on camera talking like that shows you who he really is.

I've always rooted for him, always supported him, hell I've said numerous times Melo never truly had the opportunity to be great because he always got players out their prime or too old but I've always stressed he's a scorer first/playmaker second. Meaning don't expect this guy to be your savior but instead the final piece to a championship.

He's someone I've been a fan of since he was in high school but his time is done as the #1. He doesn't have the same spring in his step anymore, he's terrible around the rim, he wants to be a two way player one day then do his regular sh*t another. He's still a guy that can drop 30 & draw double teams hence him being the main guy but he really has three options:

1. Wait for the KP to become a star & Knicks to get a third guy so he can fill the Pierce circa 2008 role.

2. Ask for a trade.

3. Stay Me7o, get paid, get booed & finish his career being another what if story.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#9 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Yeah, to compliment what Shammy said....Chauncey was the leader on Denver when Melo was the MOST effective under George Karl and that's when Nuggets were the closest to the NBA Finals. Other than that, Melo reminds me a lot of Dominique Wilkins in personality. Very dynamic scorer with freakish talents but NOT a guy you consider a lynchpin.

What is indicative of this season:

1. No system can cure a superstar's personality or even their penchant for scoring.

2. Neither Derrick Rose nor Carmelo Anthony are no longer the kind of dominant players who can win a game for you.

3. The team as a whole isn't really interested in playing defense. Doesn't matter what system, you're not going to win. period.

and it was kidd when we won 54. you can't make a guy be what he's not.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,830

Post#10 » by Adelheid » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Phil: Why did I ever gave him that no-trade clause...
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#11 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Adelheid wrote:Phil: Why did I ever gave him that no-trade clause...

melo is not what's ruining phil's time here. phil is doing that all on his own. trading melo won't help him. it will just be another trade he loses.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#12 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:32 pm

All valid arguments against Melo.

I know he isnt a vocal leader and isnt the rah rah type of guy and he doesnt need to be. We have Noah for that. But Melo doesnt even lead by example. Hes too nonchalant out there, I want to see that edge and hunger. This is what he asked for, now go out and simply play hard on both ends.

Melo is just too cool, get after it man. Too many times I feel he doesnt leave it all out there on the floor. I just want to see that extra effort from him. If he struggles from the field and is cold as hell, fine whatever I dont care about that. But go grab some boards, let me see you actively try to find the open man, let me see you be aggressive with your decision making and put some pressure on the defense, and most importantly try hard on D. Close out to the 3 point line more aggressively, unless you're in foul trouble dont give up an easy layup. I want to see that man huffing and puffing once the game is over, win or lose.

That type of leadership is more valuable and is something he should be able to do.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#13 » by Bill Pidto » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Maybe some of you have noticed how optimistic and supportive I usually am of the team.. but these guys are right. Not paying attention in the huddle? Ridiculous. How many times do we have to deal with a supremely talented team that plays with no focus and intensity here in NY?

I'm not saying it's all Melo's fault, but I am saying that the team would be better off if he left. You can tell guys like KP, Jennings and even Rose would be liberated by his departure. Hornacek, too.

I know the rumor is BS, but if you replaced Melo with Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder, I think the Knicks would instantly be more focused, better defensively, and have better ball movement. Would we miss Melo's ability to rattle off 12 points in a row at any given time? At times, sure. But the team would still be better off.

Just say the word, Melo. Please. You have no chance at a title without LeBron, CP3 and Doc, or that Warriors squad. That's the reality.

Edit: I was pretty upset with the team after the loss to Washington when I wrote this post. I stand by some of what I said about Melo who I like a lot as a person. I know he's a cool cat. But when he isn't playing defense and he's holding the ball on offense, everyone else looks lost/disinterested, including Rose and including KP. And this is not to say ISO Melo isn't effective in the right moments, and when he's on fire. That Melo of course can elevate the team. But what elevates this team even more is when Melo is playing defense, making the right pass and stepping up his overall intensity like he did yesterday, even when he doesn't have the jumper going.

Especially because the Knicks have other options now, it's nice to see the whole team getting it going, and for the offense to flow as beautifully as it has the last couple of games. So if he and the entire team can keep this up, I will go back to not criticizing a single person associated with the team.

I love my Knicks and I support Melo through and through. And personally, I don't need a championship this season or next season or the season after that to have fun watching this team and rooting them on. As long as they continue to make progress. I can tell you right now, you would never catch me booing at the home team when I'm at the Garden. I was at the game they were handing out 'Fire Isiah' signs one of the NY rags printed up in the center of their paper, and I didn't participate in that bullsh*t (still have the sign though).
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#14 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:48 pm

melo is holding back rose.... :rofl2:
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,830

Post#15 » by Adelheid » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:54 pm

god shammgod wrote:

melo is not what's ruining phil's time here. phil is doing that all on his own. trading melo won't help him. it will just be another trade he loses.

We can continue to be this turd of a team then. For better or worse. At least we now have control of our pick.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#16 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Adelheid wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

We can continue to be this turd of a team then. For better or worse. At least we now have control of our pick.

but we probably won't be bad enough for the pick to be that great
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#17 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Yeah, Phil Jackson really is to blame. He thought paying Melo money was going to make him open minded towards the triangle. In some ways, Melo was playing the triangle more (especially last season) but at the end of the day, no one said Derrick Rose was able to adjust his game.
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#18 » by FemaleDogPlease » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Knicks are fine. I'll wait until January once they get rolling.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,178

Post#19 » by Capn'O » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:47 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:Hahn tell me how you really feel :lol:

The fan came out of him quick, the bit about it being too easy for Melo to start playing good for a better team & for him to stay here was interesting because I've heard that quip from others on here as well that he should suffer don't just run away.

The thing with Melo is..we've known this about him since forever. Well at least the people who watched him before he was a Knick.

Melo got by on talent, there is plenty of guys like that. Melo however happens to be an extremely gifted scorer. I've always gotten the vibe that Melo is a go with the flow, jokey, follow the leader kind of guy.

Nothing wrong with that but that is primarily why he's a consistent inconsistent player.

When you make that kind of guy your franchise player you better hope you have a strong #2 to offset that. Never happened with Amare & KP is too young.

For the people who think this is about him being a vocal leader I implore you to listen from the 20 minute mark to the 28 minute mark.

I still remember the video of him struggling to do push-ups at the Olympics & Bron told him to do more. He's never been in peak shape either, he's a notorious cigar smoker & drinks as well. There's a video of him getting lit with Iverson years back, look it up & skip to where Melo starts talking. Just a regular cat getting saucy sh*t talking, being laid back. The fact he allowed himself to even get caught on camera talking like that shows you who he really is.

I've always rooted for him, always supported him, hell I've said numerous times Melo never truly had the opportunity to be great because he always got players out their prime or too old but I've always stressed he's a scorer first/playmaker second. Meaning don't expect this guy to be your savior but instead the final piece to a championship.

He's someone I've been a fan of since he was in high school but his time is done as #1. He doesn't have the same spring in his step anymore, he's terrible around the rim, he wants to be a two way player one day then do his regular sh*t another. He's still a guy that can drop 30 & draw double teams hence him being the main guy but he really has three options:

1. Wait for the KP to become a star & Knicks to get a third guy so he can fill the Pierce circa 2008 role.

2. Ask for a trade.

3. Stay Me7o, get paid, get booed & finish his career being another what if story.

This is the realest post about Melo that I've seen. I've come around to Melo personally since he's been here. He seems like a very cool dude. But as a player, you knew who he was when you got him. As others have said, he needs LBJ or CP3 in front of him to set the tone if he's gonna win a chip. He would put those teams over the top.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#20 » by AmazingJason » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:50 pm

god shammgod wrote:melo has never been a vocal leader and never will be. isn't that what they paid noah for ?

Can't take Noah seriously because he's overpaid and sucks.

Also randomly screaming at the top of your lungs while playing doesn't count as leadership. He's someone who marches to the beat of his own drum, not a unifier.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee

Return to New York Knicks