ImageImageImageImageImage

Grading Hornacek

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Grading Hornacek

A
17%
B
58%
C
14%
D
4%
F
7%

Total votes: 132

cayuck
Junior
And1: 262

Grading Hornacek 

Post#1 » by cayuck » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:27 am

It's early but so far I would give Hornacek a solid B. I think the record would have to be over .500 to give him a higher rating, but I am happy with what I have seen so far.

There are a lot of added factors that make coaching the Knicks complicated including the big market, extra media, and a heavy outspoken presence from Phil Jackson. Hornacek has done well taking these obstacles in stride so far, he does not seem the type to get into a scandal with any of the papers and I think he's handling Phil's input as well as anyone could in his position. It's hard to tell from the outside how deep Phil's meddling really goes and how much positive or negative comes of it, but it doesn't look like Horny lets it get to him.

On the court it is night and day from last year watching Derek Fisher clumsily try to manage this team. I like Horny's rotations for the most part. I think we all understand why he continues to start Noah with that contract and honestly Noah deserves some more games and time with this new team before people officially put a fork in him. I do like that when Horny finds a good lineup late in a game he will allow the unit to close out the game and continue to ride the run instead of automatically subbing a starter back in. I think his end of game coaching could be tightened up including drawing up more creative out of bounds plays, when you have a 7'3" athletic kid who can shoot 3s and make ridiculous lob dunks you gotta draw some stuff up for him.

The biggest weakness so far would be the overall defense (although today against the Hawks they showed signs of improvement). The defensive effort is not consistent night in and night out or even quarter to quarter. Particularly guarding the 3pt line as some of the better shooting teams have really torched us. Whether it's the unit as a whole or just individuals not being able to stay with their man the intensity and consistency needs to pickup all around. The offense looks like it is rounding into the shape the more the players get comfortable with one another.

So far I'm happy Hornacek is the coach and feel like the players are in good hands with him.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,309

Re: Grading Hornacek 

Post#2 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:54 am

Inb4tl. Ib4t too early...oh...too late. I thought this was a ballboy thread!
:beer: RIP mags
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,309

Post#3 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 am

He is doing a great job searching for what works. He isn't afraid to switch things up. Defense was an issue. The fact that they care is a blessing. The fact that the team apparently responded to the coaching is a positive sign. Defense will define our season. We can't rely on shooting percentages to get us wins.

Jeff had the 2013 Suns....a team with 10 new players in his rookie season....7-6 at this point. They won 48 games. Things are progressing. Lapses will happen but we aren't in bad shape. Lots of season left but, Jeff is my favorites HC since JVG.
:beer: RIP mags
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#4 » by Fat » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:04 am

B is fair
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,259

Post#5 » by Knicks Byke » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:49 am

i stopped reading after "its early but"
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#6 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 am

B+ (few more wins I give him A)

Hornacek is easily the best coach we have had since JVG (not speaking best in terms of accolades, but best Knick Coach) I Really like the way he calls and manages the game so far.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,827

Post#7 » by Adelheid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:35 am

B+

Needs to take control of the locker room. Needs to be the Alpha even though he doesnt look like one. He has to grow a pair of balls to wack these bunch of millionaires to submission. I am agreeable to the way he mish-mashes the roster to find working combos/minimize disadvantages. I dunno if he is responsible for Porzingis' improved shooting% but I'm just going to assume that he is.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#8 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:11 am

Adelheid wrote:B+

Needs to take control of the locker room. Needs to be the Alpha even though he doesnt look like one. He has to grow a pair of balls to wack these bunch of millionaires to submission. I am agreeable to the way he mish-mashes the roster to find working combos/minimize disadvantages. I dunno if he is responsible for Porzingis' improved shooting% but I'm just going to assume that he is.

Idk.. Id say he has balls...Hes already benched 2 of his starters when others were playing better (Jennings for Rose and KP + backups for Noah) Also I have seen a few times where Melo was left on the bench longer then normal based on how the bench was playing.

Hornacek may not be an in your face aggressive type of person...But doesnt mean he isn't an Alpha and without balls. I think He has respect of his team and is doing a pretty fine job so far.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,176

Post#9 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:22 am

Not gonna give him a grade. Coaching is a long-term thing, and there's always a honeymoon phase. We all liked Woodson after D'Antoni was fired. Woodson turned out to be bad too. Happened to a lot of coaches.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,965

Post#10 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:14 pm

players in both phoenix and NY have made clear that horny knows how to be that guy and strike... reverence.

he def comes off as a players' coach, but that's kind of how the NBA is now. the days of larry brown or red holzman yelling at you like a little boy is kind of over. gotta get them to buy in. hard to do that with pure rigidity.

being that the whole thing is new, it looks to me like horny is trying to use the scalpel instead of the sledgehammer. i bet with a little more time, you'll see more of the outwardly apparent control you're looking for.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,965

Post#11 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 pm

sometimes great coaching/management means allowing the teammates space to become bigger stakeholders in what they are doing.

sounds like that's happening, which is good.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-beat-hawks-for-fourth-straight-win-at-home-1.12645537
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#12 » by Kampuchea » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:46 pm

Ask after the next loss.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#13 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Hornacek is a great coach and anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand hoops period. Between the adjustments, the encouragement for a more modern offensive system and realizing how good KP could be he's been a godsend for a team who's used to having coaches mail it in for that big paycheck...Thank you Phil for hiring a real coach for this franchise
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#14 » by dakomish23 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Too early to grade him but this was a brilliant scheme

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#15 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Too early. We are not even a quarter in yet. He gets an incomplete grade but I like what he has done so far with the offense and the players seem to respond to him. But again too early.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
cayuck
Junior
And1: 262

Post#16 » by cayuck » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Compared to some of the other names being thrown out there when the position was open I think you have to be happy with Horny so far. I do wonder what the reaction would be from fans if Phil seriously considered coaching again, but those rumors seemed to have been squashed for the time being.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,435

Post#17 » by JXL » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Give me 15 more games.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
OnTheWagon
Pro Prospect
And1: 503

Post#18 » by OnTheWagon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Too early to grade yet, but I gotta give him props for one thing. He doesn't play his starters to the ground.

Horny's gotten a lot of flack for his bench lineups, but he's shown that he isn't trying to just win games over the cost of development and health. Our young guys are getting quality minutes out there.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#19 » by NYKAL » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:

Idk.. Id say he has balls...Hes already benched 2 of his starters when others were playing better (Jennings for Rose and KP + backups for Noah) Also I have seen a few times where Melo was left on the bench longer then normal based on how the bench was playing.

Hornacek may not be an in your face aggressive type of person...But doesnt mean he isn't an Alpha and without balls. I think He has respect of his team and is doing a pretty fine job so far.

you beat me to his defense. The fact that he will play whoever the hell he wants regardless o who you are shows it. When he benched Noah's ass that whole 4th quarter, it showed balls, intelligence and even better, it WORKED. Lite a fire under Noah's ass and he took Drummonds lunch, ate his cookies and drunk his chocolate milk.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#20 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:22 pm

He's doing a good job with the offense. The defense however has been dreadful

Return to New York Knicks