ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo = Marbury? Same Story?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Re: RE: Re: Melo = Marbury? Same Story? 

Post#61 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 2:08 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:I remember Marbury giving effort on defense though.

You need ginko. Marbury was an awful defender. As bad as Melo this season.

I never said Marbuy was a first team all nba defender. I said he gave effort. Big difference. ANd I disagree. I don't think Marbury was an Awful defender. Our team as a whole , were awful defending teams. Marbury at least tried on the defensive end. And Clyde would point it out every so often during games.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,827

Re: Melo = Marbury? Same Story? 

Post#62 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Jan 4, 2017 2:10 pm

I didn't meet Marbury with optimism. Melo is and has been a much better and much more straight forward choice with a higher ceiling as well as overall manner and reputation.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#63 » by Bill Pidto » Wed Jan 4, 2017 2:22 pm

There are some parallels, but they are more like coincidences than anything. Let me know when Melo is standing in a crowd of people at a park in Brooklyn yelling "they scared now" after Phil trades for PJ Tucker.

And someone please shoot me a PM when Melo is on snapchat crying and praying to God while he eats Vaseline with his fingers like it was vanilla icing.

But if Melo wants to average 8 assists like Marbury did for almost his entire career, I wouldn't be mad at that either. Also wouldn't be mad if Jeff pulled a D'Antoni and benched Melo in order to force him out of town.

That may sound harsh to the people who still think Melo should be here, but the reality is that Melo and Marbury do have a few major things in common. Both experienced a steep decline in their game while the Knicks were forced to pay them mega millions til the bitter end. And both were ball-dominant all-stars who, in their prime, could still never seem to win anything significant for this franchise. I will give you that, OP.
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#64 » by Jim Dolan » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:17 pm

Marbury did try to play defense, theres no denying that he tried. Melo has improved on other areas such as 3pt shooting and rebounding. But not defense.

Steph also will end his career on a high note, being a legend in China.
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#65 » by digitaldropoff » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:41 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
FirePjax wrote:Everyone is scapegoating melo, but check this out:

Read on Twitter

Phil ended up being a mistake. He's a head coach masquerading as a team president. The one time Dolan did the right thing - to take his hands off the team - but he hired the wrong guy. What we really needed an experienced, sensible pick from one of the other stable front offices like SA or Boston.

Phil = white Isiah

So essentially....Dolan continues to suck! :lol:
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#66 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:50 pm

Melo has been better than Marbury. He made the playoffs 3 times, not one, winning a series and a division title. In 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 Melo was one of the best players in the NBA. I'm firm that the mistake made was using the amnesty on Billups for Chandler to double down on Stat/Melo. Such a short sided move that completely wasted the back end of Melo's prime. NY did the right thing resigning him to preserve the asset (although they should have been open to sign and trades) and also should have been shopping him hard the past few seasons.

Now, it's a disaster. You would think that Carmelo would be open to a trade.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#67 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:52 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:

That may sound harsh to the people who still think Melo should be here, but the reality is that Melo and Marbury do have a few major things in common. Both experienced a steep decline in their game while the Knicks were forced to pay them mega millions til the bitter end. And both were ball-dominant all-stars who, in their prime, could still never seem to win anything significant for this franchise. I will give you that, OP.

Melo's decline is more due to age and injuries, and thus we are seeing him struggle as he tries to transition his game. Someone else mentioned Ewing, and I think that comparison may be more appropriate. Obviously Ewing was better and more successful, but I'm not really comparing their respective games. Both guys aged and were still trying to do things they couldn't anymore, and the fanbase turned on them, particularly with younger players waiting in the wings. Both players were also criticized for not being as good as other/better players at their position -- Ewing vs Hakeem, Robinson, and then Shaq; Melo vs LeBron, Wade, and Durant. And finally, neither guy was really given enough support around him to win it all.

Marbury's decline was steeper, and not really even due to health or ability. For him, it was more like his attitude, selfishness, ego, spite, low IQ, and general mental instability finally caught up to him. The guy was borderline uncoachable, even from the start, and had no idea how to play team basketball or win, but teams were willing to turn a blind eye for a time because of his talent.

Melo may have a few of those characteristics, but not nearly to the extent of Marbury. And he has won and accomplished far more in this league than Marbs.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#68 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:52 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:
FirePjax wrote:Everyone is scapegoating melo, but check this out:

Read on Twitter

Phil ended up being a mistake. He's a head coach masquerading as a team president. The one time Dolan did the right thing - to take his hands off the team - but he hired the wrong guy. What we really needed an experienced, sensible pick from one of the other stable front offices like SA or Boston.

Phil = white Isiah

Yes. Phil Jackson was hired because of his name. That's the Dolan business model. Headlines, press conferences, jersey and ticket sales, losing basketball. The day Phil Jackson was hired MSG was selling Jackson #18 jersey's. That says it all.

I hate to say this but Brooklyn is doing it right with Sean Marks. Imagine if you have him Porzingis and all future picks.
dablackprodigy
Pro Prospect
And1: 326

Post#69 » by dablackprodigy » Wed Jan 4, 2017 4:30 pm

Melo is retiring a knickerbocker
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#70 » by Amsterdam » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:53 pm

FirePjax wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
Imagine if we had picked 3rd instead of 4th :o

Gaines would have told him to pick KP, but I'm 100% positive Phil would have picked Okafor. No doubt in my mind.

He definitely would have picked okafor. At the time I wouldn't have blamed him, most daft guys had okafor as the second or third best player in the draft. What gets me is the phil stans who act like picking KP was a stroke of pure genius, when in reality it was partially luck.

You and Jason dont have a fam clue what Phil would have done. Stop apologizing for the players underperforming.

This idea that it's Phil fault for a grown ass man like Fisher and his episode, is ludicrous.

Jeff is a good coach, look at how beautiful the team can look at times on offense. But our issue is defense and everyone from KP, Noah, Melo on down has fallen off. Everyone here sights effort, how is that a reflection of the team president?

Hopefully, this rumor about PJ Tucker is a false flag to get the team to gel on defense. If not Phil Jackson, as he has done with Shumpert, Chandler and JR will ship under performers and malcontents out of town.
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#71 » by Amsterdam » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:56 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:

Phil = white Isiah

Yes. Phil Jackson was hired because of his name. That's the Dolan business model. Headlines, press conferences, jersey and ticket sales, losing basketball. The day Phil Jackson was hired MSG was selling Jackson #18 jersey's. That says it all.

I hate to say this but Brooklyn is doing it right with Sean Marks. Imagine if you have him Porzingis and all future picks.

But they dont have their future picks. Stop fantasizing about Porzingis in Brooklyn yo.
mrfrazier10
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#72 » by mrfrazier10 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:05 pm

I kinda feel like the main issue is Melo. His salary and his no-trade clause and his lack of leadership and defense hurt the team because you're constantly trying to build a winner around him and appease him.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#73 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:06 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:

But they dont have their future picks. Stop fantasizing about Porzingis in Brooklyn yo.

I am saying if the Knicks went that approach and hired a young guy from a Miami or San Antonio that exec would get a tremendous opportunity with Porzingis and all said future draft picks.
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#74 » by Amsterdam » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:21 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

I am saying if the Knicks went that approach and hired a young guy from a Miami or San Antonio that exec would get a tremendous opportunity with Porzingis and all said future draft picks.

They will be stuck with what we have and our problems. They just dont disappear because you hire someone younger. Youth doesn't equate luck or fortune. Look at how many young exectutives get fired, happens all the time.

We have talent on this club, it's not gelling and its on the players all buying in and giving max effort every day. Its a dam job, just do it dammit.

New York fanbase can deal with anything but lack of effort. Marbury didnt care toward the end. His lack of defensive and offensive effort doomed him here. Melo is walking that fine line if he doesn't help this team gel on defense.

If not, with the NY fans wrath. Phil will have no choice but to ask him and his agent to find a amicable landing spot.
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#75 » by CJackson » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:29 pm

mrfrazier10 wrote:I kinda feel like the main issue is Melo. His salary and his no-trade clause and his lack of leadership and defense hurt the team because you're constantly trying to build a winner around him and appease him.

While some are correctly saying you cannot blame everything on a single player when that player is your franchise's top player the example they set has a vast influence on the culture of the team.

If your top dog dawgs it then you do have to blame them, because without their effort leading the way there is zero hope for the rest of the roster to rally around each other.

It is divisive and demoralizing when your top player is such a laggard and behaves like a pussy.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#76 » by AmazingJason » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:45 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

They will be stuck with what we have and our problems. They just dont disappear because you hire someone younger. Youth doesn't equate luck or fortune. Look at how many young exectutives get fired, happens all the time.

We have talent on this club, it's not gelling and its on the players all buying in and giving max effort every day. Its a dam job, just do it dammit.

New York fanbase can deal with anything but lack of effort. Marbury didnt care toward the end. His lack of defensive and offensive effort doomed him here. Melo is walking that fine line if he doesn't help this team gel on defense.

If not, with the NY fans wrath. Phil will have no choice but to ask him and his agent to find a amicable landing spot.

I guess I feel the opposite. I feel that Phil did a horrific job in roster construction and choosing a coach for said roster. I bought into the hype from Phil and the players and got hoodwinked. Yes, we have talent and Jeff isn't a bad coach, but it all doesn't fit. Jeff's system is uptempo offense with a great PG...ideally multiple ones. Instead, Phil gives him an old, slow roster with pieces don't fit into any coherent identity and without any legitimate PGs. And he forces Rambis onto his coaching staff and as a lead defensive assistant. Forces the triangle on him, until the players held a team meeting and we rarely saw the triangle ever again.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
mrfrazier10
Ballboy

Post#77 » by mrfrazier10 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:46 pm

CJackson wrote:
mrfrazier10 wrote:I kinda feel like the main issue is Melo. His salary and his no-trade clause and his lack of leadership and defense hurt the team because you're constantly trying to build a winner around him and appease him.

While some are correctly saying you cannot blame everything on a single player when that player is your franchise's top player the example they set has a vast influence on the culture of the team.

If your top dog dawgs it then you do have to blame them, because without their effort leading the way there is zero hope for the rest of the roster to rally around each other.

It is divisive and demoralizing when your top player is such a laggard and behaves like a pussy.

The thing that upsets me is that last season I saw a player I could really root for for the majority of the games before he rolled his ankle. He was playing just great for many of those 40 games. I don't know what has happened to that player this year. The falloff is steep though. Maybe when Melo asked for help Jackson ended up getting the wrong kind of help and the result is a clumsy roster once again. I kinda feel Melo made this bed and now has to lie in it. It was shocking to see the MSG homers Hahn and Wally get on Melo and Rose like they did. Seems like every year except one during the Melo era the Knicks just implode. The year after Kidd they went from 54 to 37 wins. That says a lot.
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#78 » by CJackson » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:53 pm

mrfrazier10 wrote:
CJackson wrote:

The thing that upsets me is that last season I saw a player I could really root for for the majority of the games before he rolled his ankle. He was playing just great for many of those 40 games. I don't know what has happened to that player this year. The falloff is steep though. Maybe when Melo asked for help Jackson ended up getting the wrong kind of help and the result is a clumsy roster once again. I kinda feel Melo made this bed and now has to lie in it. It was shocking to see the MSG homers Hahn and Wally get on Melo and Rose like they did. Seems like every year except one during the Melo era the Knicks just implode. The year after Kidd they went from 54 to 37 wins. That says a lot.

Melo's karma sucks because of his consistently selfish decisions. There are many examples, but I'll just point out his choices around his health.

I mean who overplays an injured knee during the worst season in Knicks history in order to make the ASG? That is some seriously effing selfish ish there

Melo could have called it a season and gotten surgery and had way more time to rehab, but instead he pulled that crap. This organization is to blame too for facilitating that kind of diva BS. They should have said FU Melo, we just made you the richest player in the NBA, sit your ass down and get healed. So, yeah F Melo and F Phil too

When you combine this kind of asinine set of priorities with Melo's consistently poor stamina it is obvious that if a guy can't ever get into tip top shape in the off-season, then you can hardly expect him to give 100% on his rehab duties either

So I have little sympathy for Melo breaking down now. He's the biggest Me-First star I've ever seen in a Knicks uniform and he doesn't deserve my respect because his priorities are completely selfish when it comes to his professional duties as a New York Knick
mrfrazier10
Ballboy

Post#79 » by mrfrazier10 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:59 pm

CJackson wrote:
mrfrazier10 wrote:
CJackson wrote:

Melo's karma sucks because of his consistently selfish decisions. There are many examples, but I'll just point out his choices around his health.

I mean who overplays an injured knee during the worst season in Knicks history in order to make the ASG? That is some seriously effing selfish ish there

Melo could have called it a season and gotten surgery and had way more time to rehab, but instead he pulled that crap. This organization is to blame too for facilitating that kind of diva BS. They should have said FU Melo, we just made you the richest player in the NBA, sit your ass down and get healed. So, yeah F Melo and F Phil too

When you combine this kind of asinine set of priorities with Melo's consistently poor stamina it is obvious that if a guy can't ever get into tip top shape in the off-season, then you can hardly expect him to give 100% on his rehab duties either

So I have little sympathy for Melo breaking down now. He's the biggest Me-First star I've ever seen in a Knicks uniform and he doesn't deserve my respect because his priorities are completely selfish when it comes to his professional duties as a New York Knick

I think the vast majority of Knicks fans feel pretty much the same at this point. I'll tell you what is cool, though: KP is already taking ownership of when he has a bad game or does not play well, saying "I need to play better" or something like that. With Melo and Rose you never here personal ownership of hurting the team with poor play. Kinda feel that taking ownership like KP has done is what leadership is about, at least part of it.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,311

Re: RE: Re: Melo = Marbury? Same Story? 

Post#80 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jan 4, 2017 7:02 pm

Its always the same story with Dolan. Can't be a coincidence. He loves his stars to put celebrities and fans in the seats.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks