ImageImageImageImageImage

What side of the fence are you on? (Melo #5)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,934

Re: What side of the fence are you on? (Melo #5) 

Post#1901 » by F N 11 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:06 pm

Only Knicks board can go 100 pages with no legit rumors lol
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,030

Post#1902 » by Besart19 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:06 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
Besart19 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:After the Warriors make quick work of the Cavs this spring, in comes Phil to cure one guy's boredom of continuing to play with a stacked deck in the sleepy Bay Area.

Hernangomez ... finds Porzingis ... out to Curryyyyyyy -- BANG!

Even then I wouldn't want not to have Melo around... With the ball at Curry hands, Melo would average 30pts with 0 isos!!

Willy/Noah
KP/KOQ
Melo/Kuz
Lee/Holiday
Curry/Smith

Head Coach: Steve Kerr

:lol: Kerr comes too. Then cites back problems and retires after we get off to a bad start.

It'd be awesome for Curry to come East and lock Bron out of the Finals. ... Sigh.

He uses cannabis for his back spasms, so he'd be glad to come here to get it free and without prescription :P
Strength and Honour!
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#1903 » by Amsterdam » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:06 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/charles-barkley-says-he-has-no-intention-of-smoothing-things-over-with-lebron-james/

Charles Barkley wrote:
When the NBA's most prominent critic and its greatest active player spar going on a week, it's bound to produce clicks. But at this point, why doesn't Charles Barkley just reach out to LeBron James and bury the hatchet?

"For what?" Barkley asked rhetorically Wednesday. "For tellin' the truth? What am I supposed to say, 'You're the greatest player in the world'? You've got two All-Stars and you want me to feel sorry for you? Do you think Carmelo [Anthony] would be happy with two All-Stars? I think he'd be happy."

"I thought my criticism was fair," Barkley told The Undefeated. "So I don't understand why he took it so personally. But you know what, I'm a big boy. I'm good."

Barkley ended the conversation with an in-my-day musing: "It's a different generation," he said. "If we don't say everything positive about them all the time, we're a hater. But I've gotten more support than I saw coming. To be honest with you, it's been great. Especially the guys in the media who are like, 'Thank you. I can't say it because I need to talk to him.' "
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#1904 » by NYKAL » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:07 pm

Besart19 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:After the Warriors make quick work of the Cavs this spring, in comes Phil to cure one guy's boredom of continuing to play with a stacked deck in the sleepy Bay Area.

Hernangomez ... finds Porzingis ... out to Curryyyyyyy -- BANG!

Even then I wouldn't want not to have Melo around... With the ball at Curry hands, Melo would average 30pts with 0 isos!!

Willy/Noah
KP/KOQ
Melo/Kuz
Lee/Holiday
Curry/Smith

Said it before, Melo has played the best ball of his career when paired with a decent point guard. Give the guy a decent guard and team mates worthy of trust and history has shown you'll get the best out of Melo.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,981

Post#1905 » by BigShot Bojan » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:07 pm

Amsterdam wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/charles-barkley-says-he-has-no-intention-of-smoothing-things-over-with-lebron-james/

Charles Barkley wrote:
When the NBA's most prominent critic and its greatest active player spar going on a week, it's bound to produce clicks. But at this point, why doesn't Charles Barkley just reach out to LeBron James and bury the hatchet?

"For what?" Barkley asked rhetorically Wednesday. "For tellin' the truth? What am I supposed to say, 'You're the greatest player in the world'? You've got two All-Stars and you want me to feel sorry for you? Do you think Carmelo [Anthony] would be happy with two All-Stars? I think he'd be happy."

"I thought my criticism was fair," Barkley told The Undefeated. "So I don't understand why he took it so personally. But you know what, I'm a big boy. I'm good."

Barkley ended the conversation with an in-my-day musing: "It's a different generation," he said. "If we don't say everything positive about them all the time, we're a hater. But I've gotten more support than I saw coming. To be honest with you, it's been great. Especially the guys in the media who are like, 'Thank you. I can't say it because I need to talk to him.' "

hes kinda right though...baby bitch lebron..
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#1906 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:09 pm

Besart19 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Besart19 wrote:

Willy/Noah
KP/KOQ
Melo/Kuz
Lee/Holiday
Curry/Smith

:lol: Kerr comes too. Then cites back problems and retires after we get off to a bad start.

It'd be awesome for Curry to come East and lock Bron out of the Finals. ... Sigh.

He uses cannabis for his back spasms, so he'd be glad to come here to get it free and without prescription :P

I could hook him up with dA KiLlEr
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,495

Post#1907 » by KnicksGod » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:13 pm

Just the fact that LeBron memorized a list of negative things to say about Barkley ... shows Bron is a baby and he's the Trump of basketball. All about him, all about drama, never about the real thing at hand, true blue hater at heart.

Booooo! Bron is lame. Go bottle up your adolescent ego and then try tossing that around your private basketball court ... I'm going to go back to my cubicle and keep despising you.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1908 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:13 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
j4remi wrote:
god shammgod wrote:tyson, felton, jr is actually a better center, point, shooting guard trio than any that phil put together since he's been here. he has no idea what he's doing.

I'd legitimately rather go with Baker, Lee and Willy or KOQ...not even a PG in that trio but it's better than what we were getting from those three. MSG needs to replay that last season with those cats just to remind people of how bad they were when Phil was dumping them off.

I don't know why anyone would be clapping. In reality Dolan got Phil mid season while the whole entire team was injured and had to look over thier shoulder the whole time wondering what he was going to do. People discount that alot and is valid considering how quickly he was able to start calling players cancers once they left and is now doing with Melo. This after they finished that season on something like a 22-7 run.

I could give a run down of how that season transpired but Im lazy. They struggled with good reason for the first half and then by the time guys got healthy they played pretty well but the damage was done. In those situations, when the fan base just came off of 3 playoff years and slip backward often people get impatient and guys get fired. I get it. Those are the breaks.

I just don't get why this leadership regime and coaching carousel gets so much patience. Now if Phil would work with Melo to get this trade done rather than distance himself then maybe he could get him to expand his NTC waiver list. And if he can do that in such a way that gets us to truly rebuild while keeping most of our youth then maybe Id be invigorated. But just look for yourself, Phil's biggest target in all this is Clevelands 3rd best player whos a big name established player who equally does not play defense or display leadership qualities, not to mention he plays the same position as the guy we wanna build around.

Phil wants a plug and play replacement, not what the Lakers are trying to build, or what the Celtics are building. Even the Sixers are in better position that we are and Phil won't learn from them. Critics would love him if he gave that a shot. It's risky but it must begin.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1909 » by magnumt » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#1910 » by Sark » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:18 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Sark wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Possibly but then again they could just be killing Phil while the team tanks the season away. KPs built enough equity with the fan base and media to where he likely won't be getting the Ewing/Melo treatment probably ever. He's got the benefit of being the lone bright after the the past 16 years of mediocrity that has been the New York Knicks.

I think most people are smart enough to realize that if a second year player is injured or has a slump, it's just part of the growing process.

If Gary Sanchez gets injured or has a slump next year, do you think the NY media or radio is gonna harp on it for weeks on end? He won't get held to the same expectations that a more veteran player would, because it's understood that these things happen to young players, and he's not eating up tons of salary space.

Now say Bryce Harper signed a $400m contact with the Yankees, and he got hurt or was in a slump. Now that would be a leading story because the expectation for him would be to come in and perform to the value of the contract.

I think the main takeaway is: context is key. You seem to compare situations as if all things are equal. A 2nd year player making $4m is not the same as a 13 year vet making $25m.

We live in a world of hot takes unfortunately. You may care about the amount of money one player makes compared to another or how long they've been in the league but that doesn't matter when a story is needed.

Again this only matters if Melo weren't here, of course he's going to get the lead headline especially if it's a battle between drama surrounding him vs KP struggling.

However you takeaway the Melo dynamic and now you only KP struggling OR they really after Phil like they should. The key isn't context it's all about having another story to shadow KPs struggles, which will help him grow was he will not begin pressing just to stop the headlines.

For every he's a 2nd Year player you'd get the well look at Towns or Embiid, they seem to be playing fine, etc.

He's in a great spot right now because the spotlight isn't on him. And I'm glad it's that way because he can grow and develop at his pace as not worry about carrying the burden of the franchise.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think context counts for something. For example Odell Beckham dropping passes in year 1 or 2 is a side story. Get better kid and put in the work. Odell dropping passes in year 3 in the playoffs after having been partying in Miami is front page news.
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#1911 » by Amsterdam » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:32 pm

Sark wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Sark wrote:

Melo is certainly not worth more because of the ntc. If he didn't have it, and all 30 teams could bid, then perhaps he would fetch a good haul. However the list of teams is 2 or maybe 3. They can offer whatever crap they want and know that no one else can match.

And why I say, wait till the summer to revisit, when teams can make room.

It doesn't matter what teams make room if Melo doesn't add them to his approved list. It's a 2 team list, and both teams know that. Neither one really wants him either, because he doesn't make either one exponentially better.

It's a duopsony (opposite of duopoly), where there are 2 buyers, and both exert great power over the price. The Knicks have virtually no leverage in this situation, other than to not trade at all.

First Melo will make both teams better if they keep there core together. He's averaging 30ppg plus in last 7 games, shooting over 45% and over 40% from 3. ......Are you kidding me?

Now to address my previous point, let's get to it:

My Dude, you're missing my point.
Melo has, according to rumors (unsubstantiated I may add), that it's either Cavs or Clippers. That's 2 teams, yes. BUT, both require a third team to facilitate a trade with the Knicks, cause they have doodoo to deal.

Hence, there will be more third teams in the summer to facilitate either the Cavs or Clippers acquiring Melo. Got it?
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,965

Post#1912 » by Stannis » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:35 pm

Kevin Love could be the best the Knicks receive. Let's hope LBJ is begging the Cavs front office to pull the trigger.

Not a fan of Love, but he doesnt have a NTC, right? You can easily flip him in the summer for cap fillers and decent picks. More than you can get for Melo.
Free Palestine
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#1913 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:37 pm

I don't see why the summer matters either. Sure, teams can make room for those undesired players, but there really isn't any real incentive for third teams to really get involved, especially in the summer when some much better options will be on the market to bid for.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Re: RE: Re: What side of the fence are you on? (Melo #5) 

Post#1914 » by GONYK » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:40 pm

magnumt wrote:
GONYK wrote:
shtolky wrote:

Yea KP is just a really nice kid. He looked pretty damn comfortable last night in the 4th sans Melo.

... Against the worst team in the league

Production is production.

He's also produced excellent numbers against:

Spurs
    Cavs
    GF & his Bucks
    Rockets
    Grizzlies
    Suns
    Lakers
    Timberwolves

There's more, but you get the idea. Just because it was the Nyets, doesn't make it easily dismissive.

--Mags

True, but producing against the Nets without Melo isn't indicative of Melo being useless or not making things easier for KP.

Especially since most of those other games were with Melo present.
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#1915 » by Amsterdam » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:41 pm

Stannis wrote:Kevin Love could be the best the Knicks receive. Let's hope LBJ is begging the Cavs front office to pull the trigger.

Not a fan of Love, but he doesnt have a NTC, right? You can easily flip him in the summer for cap fillers and decent picks. More than you can get for Melo.

How about, the Celtics getting Love right now. Do not want, he is a HUGE risk and injury prone. If he gets one of his famous injuries his value plummets.

Plus if we get Love, we'll get no high #1 pick from a third team.

So I say....

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#1916 » by Sark » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:41 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
Sark wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
And why I say, wait till the summer to revisit, when teams can make room.

It doesn't matter what teams make room if Melo doesn't add them to his approved list. It's a 2 team list, and both teams know that. Neither one really wants him either, because he doesn't make either one exponentially better.

It's a duopsony (opposite of duopoly), where there are 2 buyers, and both exert great power over the price. The Knicks have virtually no leverage in this situation, other than to not trade at all.

First Melo will make both teams better if they keep there core together. He's averaging 30ppg plus in last 7 games, shooting over 45% and over 40% from 3. ......Are you kidding me?

Melo has, according to rumors (unsubstantiated I may add), that it's either Cavs or Clippers. That's 2 teams, yes. BUT, both require a third team to facilitate a trade with the Knicks, cause they have doodoo to deal.

Hence, there will be more third teams in the summer to facilitate either the Cavs or Clippers acquiring Melo. Got it?

None of the 27 other teams in the league want Jamal Crawford or any of the trash contracts that the Cavs have. The fact that he will only go to 2 teams is what limits his value, not his play, contract, nor anything else. Its basic supply and demand here. That's what duopsony creates - an ineffiecency in the market because there are only 2 available buyers (demand side).
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#1917 » by kane2021 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:44 pm

Summer deal might be more expensive. Teams will expect compensation for taking on contracts for cap space. And it's like I've said. Don't expect the clippers and cavs to hold still because the knicks want to wait. They'll make other moves. Then have nothing left.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1918 » by GONYK » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:45 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Just the fact that LeBron memorized a list of negative things to say about Barkley ... shows Bron is a baby and he's the Trump of basketball. All about him, all about drama, never about the real thing at hand, true blue hater at heart.

Booooo! Bron is lame. Go bottle up your adolescent ego and then try tossing that around your private basketball court ... I'm going to go back to my cubicle and keep despising you.

Add to that that Barkley punching someone in a bar fight 20 years ago does nothing to nullify that Lebron is being a baby today.
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#1919 » by Amsterdam » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:47 pm

Sark wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Sark wrote:

None of the 27 other teams in the league want Jamal Crawford or any of the trash contracts that the Cavs have. The fact that he will only go to 2 teams is what limits his value, not his play, contract, nor anything else. Its basic supply and demand here. That's what duopsony creates - an ineffiecency in the market because there are only 2 available buyers (demand side).

So then no deal.

Jamal is cool and all, but not for us. It's on the Cavs to make a move to further guarantee themselves a chance to beat the Warriors and win the chip this year. Or in the Clippers case, get to the Finals before Griffen and Paul hit free agency this summer.

So it's on them to make the pot sweeter, not on Phil Jackson and the Knicks. Phil can wait till the summer, it's the bi-polar fanbase that says move Melo now.
No need, I say be patient.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1920 » by GONYK » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:55 pm

kane2021 wrote:Summer deal might be more expensive. Teams will expect compensation for taking on contracts for cap space. And it's like I've said. Don't expect the clippers and cavs to hold still because the knicks want to wait. They'll make other moves. Then have nothing left.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

They have nothing now though, so what difference does it make in the bigger scheme of things?

The only variable here is how bad Phil wants Melo out.

My guess is not bad enough to get hosed.

Return to New York Knicks