ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil Jackson Difficult For Opposing Execs To Reach Leading To Deadline

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Re: Phil Jackson Difficult For Opposing Execs To Reach Leading To Deadline 

Post#181 » by Carl_Karlson » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:23 am

Sark wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Sark wrote:The only way to fix this with Melonoma here would be to sign Lebron, KD, or Curry. No Melonoma led team is ever winning anything.

You should Donate since thats your new Nickname for him.

https://www.melanoma.org/get-involved/support-the-mrf

I only donate to animal charities like WWF and ASPCA.

WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
Tennyten
Sophomore
And1: 33

Post#182 » by Tennyten » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:55 am

Phil is the ultimate Zen master. He's getting 12 mill a year to meditate.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#183 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:07 am

Tron Carter wrote:at the end of the day phil signed melo to that godfather deal. it all points back to him no matter if you try to deflect blame to dolan, melo, kurt rambis. the common denominator is phil.

Better to sign him and try to move him then lose him for nothing. I think we will try to move him again around draft day and then again next year at the deadline. If we can get some sort of value for him, in the long term...the signing was worth it. I still think the signing is worth it.

I like Melo a lot, I am just tired of seeing him as a Knick. Hopefully we can move him for some value and start fresh.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#184 » by Bill Pidto » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Everyone just shut up
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Re: RE: Re: Phil Jackson Difficult For Opposing Execs To Reach Leading To Deadline 

Post#185 » by moocow007 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:08 pm

alphad0gz wrote:MIlls is the guy. HE is the GM. All calls should be coming in to him, not Jackson. Mills would go to Jackson if he needs to. Another anti Jackson article.

Mills is just another Charlie Rosen
humbertomakris
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#186 » by humbertomakris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:15 pm

seren wrote:Melo needs to STFU really big time. He is holding the team hostage. The management gave him everything he needs. If you can't make it work with a healthy veteran roster, it is your fault. This is more or less the roster he wanted to join couple of seasons ago. When will you ever look at the mirror and realize you are the franchise player and you need to make it work.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app

Preach
humbertomakris
Sophomore

Post#187 » by humbertomakris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:This is such a non-story it's absurd. Hate on Phil all you want for his personnel decisions but, if they are constantly getting in contact with Steve Mills then who gives a damn if they aren't talking to Phil directly? Seems like people are salty because the GOAT doesn't want to speak to them on their terms...

Thank You, He is the president not the GM. Any talks should go through Mills first, and he should report to Phil. Thats how it works.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#188 » by moocow007 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:18 pm

But in any case, this article clearly has a lot of hypothetical fluff and made up nonsense.

What is real however is that this team...which was already not an ideal destination for impact free agents...will now find it even more difficult. David Aldridge, a guy that most generally consider about as even and fair a sports journalist as you can get, said...what Phil Jackson has done in terms of his treatment of Anthony is reverberating throughout the league and the Knicks will find it near impossible to get any of them to sign with the Knicks, why? Because whatever you say about Carmelo game, the reality is that Carmelo is very well liked and respected amongst other players and they all have taken notice. So...for anyone hoping for some help in free agency (Jrue Holiday, Kyle Lowry, Chris Paul, etc. Etc.), Aldridge basically said, forget about it and that you can "thank" Jackson for that.

So...draft it is.

Sent from my SM-T377T using RealGM mobile app
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#189 » by dakomish23 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Yes! More posts blaming Melo for the roster. I love the irrationality.

It's also his fault it takes forever to get into MSG around game time. If he didn't have that NTC, it would be so much smoother.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#190 » by dakomish23 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:28 pm

moocow007 wrote:But in any case, this article clearly has a lot of hypothetical fluff and made up nonsense.

What is real however is that this team...which was already not an ideal destination for impact free agents...will now find it even more difficult. David Aldridge, a guy that most generally consider about as even and fair a sports journalist as you can get, said...what Phil Jackson has done in terms of his treatment of Anthony is reverberating throughout the league and the Knicks will find it near impossible to get any of them to sign with the Knicks, why? Because whatever you say about Carmelo game, the reality is that Carmelo is very well liked and respected amongst other players and they all have taken notice. So...for anyone hoping for some help in free agency (Jrue Holiday, Kyle Lowry, Chris Paul, etc. Etc.), Aldridge basically said, forget about it and that you can "thank" Jackson for that.

So...draft it is.

Any other player and his unprofessional behavior would not be accepted. But the Melo haters will embrace any soapbox they can stand on.

Can't wait till he's gone. I want to see how they blame him then. and they will try their best :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
humbertomakris
Sophomore

Post#191 » by humbertomakris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:37 pm

alphad0gz wrote:MIlls is the guy. HE is the GM. All calls should be coming in to him, not Jackson. Mills would go to Jackson if he needs to. Another anti Jackson article.

Front Page Title: "Knicks GM Mills is hard to reach" = Nobody bothers to click/read article
Front Page Title: "Phil Jackson.... such bad..." millions of clicks

Media is a business, they dont care of the ramifications at all.
Its a shame the media takes advantage of perhaps the most loyal fanbase in the NBA like this.

-He wants the triangle we slaughter him (media knows soo much more than him about basketball right?)
-hires hornacek, abandons triangle slaughter him. (no continuity, high roster turnover)
-keep cap flexibility, and picks = slaughter him (not doin enough for Melo)
-make trades to fit Melo's timeline = slaughter him (not doin enough for Porzingis)

and the best of all a complete disregard of hindsight. yes alot of the moves proved to not be huge successes but they never mention the situation at the time itself, as if all theses allstars were lining up to join us? with no picks ? The CAA connection that had hijacked the team? complete unprofessional attitude of players like JR(the usual)? Shumpert? Chandler(didnt care anymore)? Felton(Fat) Bargnani(retiree)?

We wanted him here to keep Dolan away = check
get rid of CAA = check
Clear cap space, get picks and keep our picks = check
get younger = check
help melo = check
draft well (both with picks and undrafted) = check

now the results arent the best, but the front office has tried all the right things. This is year 3. He has to change a culture in this organisation spanning 15 years, let him have the benefit of the doubt instead of the media at the very least. Dude is risking his Legacy to take the challenge to help out the Knicks. The one thing he hasnt got right was hiring Fisher, and giving such a long leash to Rambis. Jury is out on Hornacek, will see how he does next year.

just my 2 cents on so many pjax bashing articles lately
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,492

Post#192 » by KnicksGod » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:41 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:But in any case, this article clearly has a lot of hypothetical fluff and made up nonsense.

So...draft it is.

Any other player and his unprofessional behavior would not be accepted. But the Melo haters will embrace any soapbox they can stand on.

Can't wait till he's gone. I want to see how they blame him then. and they will try their best :lol:

What exactly did Phil "do" to Melo?
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,975

Post#193 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm slowly starting to see where George Karl was coming from...
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: Phil Jackson Difficult For Opposing Execs To Reach Leading To Deadline 

Post#194 » by moocow007 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:34 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

So...draft it is.

Used his mouth pieces to berate Anthony. Then Jackson then agrees with it as if those thoughts didn't originate from his own mind. Everyone knows. If Jackson wanted to get his point across he should have talked to Anthony in private. At the very least don't tweet your support of those comments (whether it really was his own).

Doesn't mean Jackson is wrong, but the way he handles things makes him look like a punk and, again per David Aldridge is reverberating among players in the NBA. Dolan may want to invest a few more dollars to put Jackson into a "How to be politically correct" class.

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#195 » by moocow007 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:35 pm

knicks85 wrote:I'm slowly starting to see where George Karl was coming from...

George Karl was smart enough to wait until after the player was gone to berate him.

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#196 » by KnicksGod » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:56 pm

moocow007 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Used his mouth pieces to berate Anthony. Then Jackson then agrees with it as if those thoughts didn't originate from his own mind. Everyone knows. If Jackson wanted to get his point across he should have talked to Anthony in private. At the very least don't tweet your support of those comments (whether it really was his own).

Doesn't mean Jackson is wrong, but the way he handles things makes him look like a punk and, again per David Aldridge is reverberating among players in the NBA. Dolan may want to invest a few more dollars to put Jackson into a "How to be politically correct" class.

The "mouthpiece" was the guy saying Jackson would only hire a triangle coach last summer?

Let's say Rosen wrote the article under orders from Phil. Do players give Phil any makeup points for having given Melo a NTC and a huge contract?
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#197 » by Amsterdam » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:56 pm

humbertomakris wrote:

Front Page Title: "Knicks GM Mills is hard to reach" = Nobody bothers to click/read article
Front Page Title: "Phil Jackson.... such bad..." millions of clicks

Media is a business, they dont care of the ramifications at all.
Its a shame the media takes advantage of perhaps the most loyal fanbase in the NBA like this.

-He wants the triangle we slaughter him (media knows soo much more than him about basketball right?)
-hires hornacek, abandons triangle slaughter him. (no continuity, high roster turnover)
-keep cap flexibility, and picks = slaughter him (not doin enough for Melo)
-make trades to fit Melo's timeline = slaughter him (not doin enough for Porzingis)

and the best of all a complete disregard of hindsight. yes alot of the moves proved to not be huge successes but they never mention the situation at the time itself, as if all theses allstars were lining up to join us? with no picks ? The CAA connection that had hijacked the team? complete unprofessional attitude of players like JR(the usual)? Shumpert? Chandler(didnt care anymore)? Felton(Fat) Bargnani(retiree)?

We wanted him here to keep Dolan away = check
get rid of CAA = check
Clear cap space, get picks and keep our picks = check
get younger = check
help melo = check
draft well (both with picks and undrafted) = check

now the results arent the best, but the front office has tried all the right things. This is year 3. He has to change a culture in this organisation spanning 15 years, let him have the benefit of the doubt instead of the media at the very least. Dude is risking his Legacy to take the challenge to help out the Knicks. The one thing he hasnt got right was hiring Fisher, and giving such a long leash to Rambis. Jury is out on Hornacek, will see how he does next year.

just my 2 cents on so many pjax bashing articles lately

Awesome post.

It should be noted also that at the time when Grunwald and Dolan were being ran by CAA, noone could sign with the Knicks unless under CAA.

Certainly CAA tried to hold Jeremy Lin hostage to them and the backroom war in 2012 must have been epic.

Jeremy was then a megastar draw and CAA must have been drooling. Everyone was hostage to CAA @MSG but Phil Jackson went Mafia on CAA.
dabbaby17
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#198 » by dabbaby17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:06 pm

I think most importantly their styles just don't match up. Jackson could utilize Jordan and Kobe and mold them into his system, and while neither are passive players, they bought into his system and it worked for both of them. Melo is different. He wanted to do things his own way, and in Denver he was permitted to do that, but in NY he never bought into the system. His character is simply too selfish. He needs to be the in the spotlight, and when he's not (Jeremy Lin) things get sour in the locker room.

That's just a sign of the fact that you can't change people. You can't change Melo, and Jackson has tried for a few years now, and that is why they've had little success.

Lightning Scorpions Living Legend
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#199 » by KnicksGod » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:37 pm

dabbaby17 wrote:I think most importantly their styles just don't match up. Jackson could utilize Jordan and Kobe and mold them into his system, and while neither are passive players, they bought into his system and it worked for both of them. Melo is different. He wanted to do things his own way, and in Denver he was permitted to do that, but in NY he never bought into the system. His character is simply too selfish. He needs to be the in the spotlight, and when he's not (Jeremy Lin) things get sour in the locker room.

That's just a sign of the fact that you can't change people. You can't change Melo, and Jackson has tried for a few years now, and that is why they've had little success.

Yes. But Phil has never been our coach. That's a big difference. I was wrong -- I thought he'd be coach from the front office, a kind of Executive Head Coach, but hasn't taken. I feel Riley sort of did that with Spo but maybe not.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#200 » by Amsterdam » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:46 pm

dabbaby17 wrote:I think most importantly their styles just don't match up. Jackson could utilize Jordan and Kobe and mold them into his system, and while neither are passive players, they bought into his system and it worked for both of them. Melo is different. He wanted to do things his own way, and in Denver he was permitted to do that, but in NY he never bought into the system. His character is simply too selfish. He needs to be the in the spotlight, and when he's not (Jeremy Lin) things get sour in the locker room.

Absolutely.

I believe that Phil would have made his mark on Melo if coaching.

Both Jordan and Kobe were mentally tortured by Phil but the results speak for themselves.
Phil helped mold those two into assassins and take no prisoners players.

When Phil got here, he said Melo had another level to go. In today's cuddly world of media, PC and players, that is a wrong thing. Because?

Maybe Melo's boys, feel he is already perfect and doesn't need pushing.

But perhaps free agent veterans are not what we need, more so young talent to mold into Champions.

Return to New York Knicks