ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread 6.0 - (Currently T-4th, 44th & 58th)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Draft Thread 6.0 - (Currently T-4th, 44th & 58th) 

Post#1221 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
lol what..In the triangle, the PG normally doesn't normally average a lot of assists. The ball is always moving around and isn't in the pg's hands for a good chunk of it. The ideal fit for the triangle would be a PG who can shoot from long range and hit the mid-range jumper effectively. I prefer Fultz or Frank the Tank

Well...Ball hit the three at a high clip this year on large volume, and we shouldn't be taking many mid-range jumpers as is. The triangle requires high IQ players who can hit the correct guy in the correct spot at the correct time - he does that better than anyone in any draft going back to Kidd.

If a player's biggest asset is his passing (over his scoring), then why would you draft him into a system that doesn't utilize his strength as much. I have a strong feeling we won't be drafting Ball.

Another thing is his shooting mechanics. He brings up the ball to his right side. Well every time he drives right and pulls up for a jumper, the defender can still catch up to him because he's bringing the ball up to his left side going right. Charles Barkley mentioned this briefly on one of their halftime segments.

The triangle is predicated on hitting guys in their spots at the right time in conjunction with off ball cuts and (unfortunately) mid post isolations (where people SHOULD be cutting, but we only have 3 guys that do). Why draft Ball? He makes everyone better. He is the best passing guard since Kidd and guys like that fit into every system. We're not going to be running the triangle once Phil leaves, anyway.

I'm very well aware that he has unorthodox shooting mechanics but it didn't stop him from hitting them at a high clip on high volume in college (even against long defenders) AND Kevin Martin had a similar stroke and it didn't affect his %s either.
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#1222 » by CrazyKnicks » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Yankeeknickfan wrote:
CrazyKnicks wrote:Oh no, about to make the NBA and make millions to play a game. How sad :cry:

You ever play competitive sports before?

This is what brings greatness. If you're not emotional after making it that far then why are you playing?

Some people here take d*ckriding to a whole new level. So now a guy who played a bad game and didn't show up when it mattered on the court is a great player and has a lot of heart and competitiveness because he is sobbing uncontrollably after a game? :crazy: :lol:

My bad, coming from the same people who roasted Bosh after crying when he lost in the finals and praising Noah's leadership for shooting around with Melo in the off-season. :lol:

Carry on, don't mean to interrupt the hype train....
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#1223 » by Mecca » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 pm

CrazyKnicks wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
Yankeeknickfan wrote:You ever play competitive sports before?

This is what brings greatness. If you're not emotional after making it that far then why are you playing?

Some people here take d*ckriding to a whole new level. So now a guy who played a bad game and didn't show up when it mattered on the court is a great player and has a lot of heart and competitiveness because he is sobbing uncontrollably after a game? :crazy: :lol:

My bad, coming from the same people who roasted Bosh after crying when he lost in the finals and praising Noah's leadership for shooting around with Melo in the off-season. :lol:

Dude didn't even have a bad game. If you watched the game, dumb Calipari rested Fox for most of the 1st half because of 2 fouls.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#1224 » by FreeSpiritNY » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:42 pm

This draft is crazy good, this is the chance we finally needed to finally become a good team. Finally! this season is the biggest blessing in disguise
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#1225 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Well...Ball hit the three at a high clip this year on large volume, and we shouldn't be taking many mid-range jumpers as is. The triangle requires high IQ players who can hit the correct guy in the correct spot at the correct time - he does that better than anyone in any draft going back to Kidd.

If a player's biggest asset is his passing (over his scoring), then why would you draft him into a system that doesn't utilize his strength as much. I have a strong feeling we won't be drafting Ball.

Another thing is his shooting mechanics. He brings up the ball to his right side. Well every time he drives right and pulls up for a jumper, the defender can still catch up to him because he's bringing the ball up to his left side going right. Charles Barkley mentioned this briefly on one of their halftime segments.

The triangle is predicated on hitting guys in their spots at the right time in conjunction with off ball cuts and (unfortunately) mid post isolations (where people SHOULD be cutting, but we only have 3 guys that do). Why draft Ball? He makes everyone better. He is the best passing guard since Kidd and guys like that fit into every system. We're not going to be running the triangle once Phil leaves, anyway.

I'm very well aware that he has unorthodox shooting mechanics but it didn't stop him from hitting them at a high clip on high volume in college (even against long defenders) AND Kevin Martin had a similar stroke and it didn't affect his %s either.

Ball can definitely pass and I think he can get by with that oddball shot (it starts real low but he has a quick release so it may help compensate). But I'm not sure that he can score a lot of points. And that may be ok. Jason Kidd managed to average more than 15ppg only 3 times in his 18 year career after all. But I don't know that he and Porzingis will be enough as a dynamic duo. I think Fultz would be a better immediate fit with Pozingis if they had a choice. Fultz isn't the flashy passer that Ball is but has shown that he also has a terrific feel for the game especially on the offensive end. I think Fultz would be able to actually function better as a cutter and a shot creator in the Triangle and he has more of a lead game if they can the Triangle in 2 years.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#1226 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Also have to give a whole lot of credit to the guy that IMO has been the MVP of the tournament so far...South Carolina's Sindarius Thornwell. Damn impressive so far. Damn impressive. I would love to have him as a 2nd round pick and in a Knicks uniform. If you talk about a 2-way player that is a leader, plays like a winner and cool under pressure, that's Thornwell. One of the things I like about Thornwell is that he's always moving. He never stands still and just waits. He cuts, he gets himself open, he takes high percentage shots.
Newyorknick94
Head Coach
And1: 2,518

Post#1227 » by Newyorknick94 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Mecca wrote:
CrazyKnicks wrote:
K P 6 wrote:This is what brings greatness. If you're not emotional after making it that far then why are you playing?

Dude didn't even have a bad game. If you watched the game, dumb Calipari rested Fox for most of the 1st half because of 2 fouls.

3 fouls in the first half
Legends BAT
G - Penny Hardaway/Mike Bibby
G - Gilbert Arenas / Monta Ellis
F - Julius Erving/John Starks
F - Chris bosh/Danny Granger
C - Dikembe Mutombo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,498

Post#1228 » by j4remi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 pm

E-Balla wrote:If we win the lotto I want Lonzo. Might not be the best player but he can set the tone fit your franchise for 15 years. To bring it to football it's like Brian Dawkins vs Darren Sharper or Charles Woodson vs Deion. The best player isn't always going to be better for your franchise.

The thought has definitely crossed my mind. With KP in place, I'm not sweating the fact that Lonzo's not really built to be a lead scorer. 6'6 and that kind of passing is crazy tempting even in the face of talents like Fultz and Jackson. If we could just get into that top three I'll be happy with any of 'em; that trio has special written all over it.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1229 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:

Ball can definitely pass and I think he can get by with that oddball shot (it starts real low but he has a quick release so it may help compensate). But I'm not sure that he can score a lot of points. And that may be ok. Jason Kidd managed to average more than 15ppg only 3 times in his 18 year career after all. But I don't know that he and Porzingis will be enough as a dynamic duo. I think Fultz would be a better immediate fit with Pozingis if they had a choice. Fultz isn't the flashy passer that Ball is but has shown that he also has a terrific feel for the game especially on the offensive end. I think Fultz would be able to actually function better as a cutter and a shot creator in the Triangle and he has more of a lead game if they can the Triangle in 2 years.

I'm totally ok with him not scoring a lot, though. He does everything else on the offense end and is a great rebounder. I think he and KP can be a duo in the PnR as KP progresses.

I think Fultz is a better player for the triangle as well, but my issue was with the idea that Ball isn't a fit.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#1230 » by Mecca » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 pm

Newyorknick94 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
CrazyKnicks wrote:Some people here take d*ckriding to a whole new level. So now a guy who played a bad game and didn't show up when it mattered on the court is a great player and has a lot of heart and competitiveness because he is sobbing uncontrollably after a game? :crazy: :lol:

3 fouls in the first half

You sure it wasn't 2? I could be wrong
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1231 » by magnumt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 pm

JoeypopsNY wrote:This draft is crazy good, this is the chance we finally needed to finally become a good team. Finally! this season is the biggest blessing in disguise

Yeah, just like 2015 we timed our suckage great this time...and ACTUALLY have our pick to boot! :D

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#1232 » by DrCoach » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 am

No Fukin way do you take Fox over Ball
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#1233 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:20 am

moocow007 wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:i don't follow college ball, so this is a legit question based on what I've been reading about him:

what makes Josh Jackson better than Justice Winslow?

As someone that thought Justise Winslow was way overrated (and I voiced this opinion as such prior to the 2015 draft) I can probably tell you some of the major differences between the two players:

Ability to Create Space- you know, leading up to the 2016 draft I kept hearing about how athletic and explosive Winslow is and he was. The problem is that he really didn't show he could play at anything other than one speed. What I mean by that is this...if Winslow had a clear lane to the basket and/or got the ball on his way to the basket, he was able to finish, no question. But if he wasn't able to do so his impact was marginalized. He didn't show any change of speed ability that would allow him to separate or confuse opposing defenders and as a result create space for himself. One of the most important skills that top tier players have is the ability to create space so that they can get better looks at the basket. This applies to guys that primarily take it to the whole as well as guys that shoot from outside. The NBA is a whole lot tougher than college (or HS). The spaces, the lanes, the openings that you see in college you simply are not going to get in the NBA. Guys that simply rely on athleticism in college or what I call again "one speed" explosiveness is IMHO going to struggle in the NBA if they don't show the ability to create space for themselves. Sure some of that is mitigated if you get yourself on a great team that passes and otherwise creates better opportunities and looks for it's players, but TOP TOP players in the NBA would be able to do that regardless of what team they are on and how good or bad the team/system is at creating good shot opportunities. Winslow showed me next to nothing in being able to do this which is one of the main reasons why I found it absolutely absurd when folks said that he was going to be Pippen like when it comes to scoring. I mentioned on several occasions that I thought he'd have problems cracking double digits in scoring and I haven't been wrong. This is one of the biggest reasons for that.

Length AND Athleticism - a lot of players are athletic but short, others have length but are not very athletic. Winslow fell into the former (he was an "athletic" guy but his length was marginal at best for the position that he would be best suited for...small forward). Jackson? He has the length AND the athleticism that is ideal for his NBA position (also small forward). If you look at every one of the top 2-way wings in the NBA nowadays every one of them has check marks in both physical areas (Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Greek Freak, etc.).

Ball Skills - this goes in the 'create space' category as guys that create space generally are guys with ball skills. doesn't mean that you have to be able to dribble it up the full length of the court and score, but it means that for your position you are extremely skilled in being able to handle the ball. Winslow did not have good ball skills for his position (again being explosive when you have a clear driving lane does not equate to good ball skills). It's one of the reasons why he's struggled so far to score. He can't create for himself. Jackson, while no Lebron has shown that he can create for himself. That and his far superior passing and feel for the game makes him a much more dangerous player for opposing teams to defend than someone like Winslow.

Defense - Jackson has better defensive tools and better defensive instincts than Winslow IMO although defense is something that Winslow is still pretty good at.

Feel for Game - IMHO there is no comparison between the two as far as feel for the game, feel for where he is and his teammates are and where the game is at. Feel for the game is not something that can be taught, you either are born with it or you're not. For a SF with that type of feel? yeah that's pretty special. Doesn't mean that he's on the Ball or even Fultz level in that regard but positionally, he's up there among the top group IMO.

Shot Creation - so this goes into 'creating space' and 'ball skills'. While I think this is the area that he has shown the least of when talking about the other top prospects, I've seen plenty of flashes that when he wants to he can create shots for himself pretty easily. No, he's not Fultz when it comes to that, but again, for a guy with all of the other above skills in abundance, what he's shown is pretty nice to have. Winslow is not and has never been able to create his own shot against NBA defenses. I said this from day one when folks were riding his jock leading up to the draft just because he had a nice run in the tournament and just because he was such a dunker.

Upside - everything else above leads me to believe that Jackson has much more NBA upside than Winslow at the same point. To me, it's not even close. And believe me, I'm hardly one to get excited or exaggerate any prospect (those that know me know that).

thanks moo. that's very helpful.

the question, for me, then becomes this: for our team, do we take jackson ahead of any of the top PGs?

I have a really hard time saying yes to that. We just need a creator so bad to set up easy shots for KP and Willy. Having a top young PG in the mold of the Lillards, CP3s, Westbrook, etc is just too tempting. Not saying that these prospects are in that realm (I have no clue), but this draft class has been much hyped and I'd much rather have one of them than anyone else available in free agency.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1234 » by E-Balla » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:27 am

moocow007 wrote:Also have to give a whole lot of credit to the guy that IMO has been the MVP of the tournament so far...South Carolina's Sindarius Thornwell. Damn impressive so far. Damn impressive. I would love to have him as a 2nd round pick and in a Knicks uniform. If you talk about a 2-way player that is a leader, plays like a winner and cool under pressure, that's Thornwell. One of the things I like about Thornwell is that he's always moving. He never stands still and just waits. He cuts, he gets himself open, he takes high percentage shots.

Said before the tournament that I wanted him in the 2nd. He's playing his way out of our range dammit!

Ball, Thornwell, and Grayson would be my dream draft right now. Grayson would be perfect for the triangle offensively and his temper is an issue but its over blown. Thornwell can pass extremely well, his shot seems to have improved, and he can defend (most similar prospect to him I can remember happens to be Jimmy Butler but Jimmy was younger). I've already talked about how I feel about Ball in the triangle too.
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Post#1235 » by alphad0gz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:54 am

Kinglee wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:Ugh... We cannot afford for Philly to get a top 3 pick. They're on the cusp of being scary.

:-? They are? Since when...? That team still needs A LOT of talent (and health) before they should be considered "scary."

Injuries are nothing to brush off, but how long do you expect them to keep getting bitten by injuries. We've seen enough of Embeid to know he's a force IF healthy. Didn't see Simmons in the NBA, but we know regardless he's going to be a triple double threat (injury doesn't change the way he sees the floor) and I doubt a foot injury in going to destroy his athleticism. They already said they going to give Ben a chance at running the point, so let's just look.

PG: Simmons
Sg: Whoever
SF: Convington
PF: whoever
C: Embeid

I'm going to assume if they get a top 3 pick they're going with Jackson or Fultz. If they do that, they're athletic as hell, long as hell, and the defense would be sick! Once again, it's based on the team staying healthy, but if healthy they can be pretty dangerous with a top 3 pick. Not saying dangerous next season and winning a championship, but it's a great future ahead of them.

And you forgot Saric
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#1236 » by DrCoach » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 am

moocow007 wrote:Also have to give a whole lot of credit to the guy that IMO has been the MVP of the tournament so far...South Carolina's Sindarius Thornwell. Damn impressive so far. Damn impressive. I would love to have him as a 2nd round pick and in a Knicks uniform. If you talk about a 2-way player that is a leader, plays like a winner and cool under pressure, that's Thornwell. One of the things I like about Thornwell is that he's always moving. He never stands still and just waits. He cuts, he gets himself open, he takes high percentage shots.

Love to see him and Hart from Villanova go head to head
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#1237 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:30 am

alphad0gz wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
:-? They are? Since when...? That team still needs A LOT of talent (and health) before they should be considered "scary."

Injuries are nothing to brush off, but how long do you expect them to keep getting bitten by injuries. We've seen enough of Embeid to know he's a force IF healthy. Didn't see Simmons in the NBA, but we know regardless he's going to be a triple double threat (injury doesn't change the way he sees the floor) and I doubt a foot injury in going to destroy his athleticism. They already said they going to give Ben a chance at running the point, so let's just look.

PG: Simmons
Sg: Whoever
SF: Convington
PF: whoever
C: Embeid

I'm going to assume if they get a top 3 pick they're going with Jackson or Fultz. If they do that, they're athletic as hell, long as hell, and the defense would be sick! Once again, it's based on the team staying healthy, but if healthy they can be pretty dangerous with a top 3 pick. Not saying dangerous next season and winning a championship, but it's a great future ahead of them.

And you forgot Saric

Definitely did and he's having his impressive season
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#1238 » by Phish Tank » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:03 am

frank the tank?
Dkillanyk4lyf
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,625

Post#1239 » by Dkillanyk4lyf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 am

Rose-lee-issac-willy-kp!!!

I dig it!!!
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#1240 » by DowNY » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 am

lmao

Return to New York Knicks