ImageImageImageImageImage

OT Kobe on players resting

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

OT Kobe on players resting 

Post#1 » by EchelonNYK » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Knickerbock
Sixth Man
And1: 897

Re: OT Kobe on players resting 

Post#2 » by Knickerbock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 pm

The Black Mamba is not human though...

The dude would have like a torn ligament or achilles and he be walking around like its nothing.

There won't ever be another Kobe Bryant..
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,309

Post#3 » by DOT » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:23 pm

He's a bit of a clickbaiter, but I agree with the majority of the points Mike brings up here
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#4 » by King of Canada » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Kobe's right. How would you feel if you slapped on the latest episode of The Walking Dead, and Rick was off as a healthy scratch, and the whole episode was about one of those background bums with no lines. This is a GAME and is ONLY entertainment, and literally nothing else. As long as the minutes aren't insane, they should be out there.

Now for the Knicks, sits those fools. go Tank!
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#5 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Seeing an NBA game live is a dream come true for millions of fans worldwide. Especially outside the US. Now imagine the star players sitting out after that **** expensive dream came true. What a travesty.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#6 » by Yankeeknickfan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 pm

K-DOT wrote:

He's a bit of a clickbaiter, but I agree with the majority of the points Mike brings up here

I'm a fan of Mike. His ball >>> all stance is kinda annoying, but other than that, he's pretty good. His brother Collin, also does good NFL stuff. Doesn't upload as often as Mike though
Imageceltics
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#7 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 pm

basketboule wrote:Seeing an NBA game live is a dream come true for millions of fans worldwide. Especially outside the US. Now imagine the star players sitting out after that **** expensive dream came true. What a travesty.

I agree. I would've been so pissed if I had bought tickets to that recent Clippers-Cavs game.
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#8 » by Jim Dolan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:29 am

give the fans a refund if a team isnt playing their best players.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,309

Post#9 » by DOT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 am

Either extend the regualar season to increase rest (NBAPA would never agree to this), or have a system where rest days must be announced say 2 weeks before a game, and give fans full refunds if they don't want to go to a rest game
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,073

Post#10 » by Jeffrey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:00 am

If the players wants to rest during marquee matchups, I hope they don't cry when the ratings stagnate or go down. I'm sure they won't care until they have to talk about a new contract.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#11 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:13 am

Kobe's right.

The only problem is that the NBA is a business first and businesses are in business to make money. The NBA cares about its fans, but only in so far that the fans produce profit for the league. It's how business works. They aren't evil or anything.

If the NBA thinks something will affect its bottom line, then it will put that in front of the fans. Now, of course the NBA makes profit because of its fans, but the experience of an individual fan is not paramount in its "things we care about" list.

TV revenue
Corporate sponsorship
Ad revenue
Merchandising
Ticketing and conceissions

That definitely isn't a list ordered by importance, but the NBA knows that attendance isn't going to drop, especially not in big markets or for playoff games or whatever.

So make no mistake that Adam Silver isn't calling on teams to play their best players because of "the fans". No. He is afraid that big TV sponsors will see a nationally televised game that they paid big $ for between the Cavs and W's tip off with Lebron, Steph, Kyrie, Klay, and Dray all sitting for rest. And then seeing big legal implications of not delivering on the terms of the deal.

I don't doubt for one minute that a lot of NBA players care about their fans. I don't doubt that the majority of them take personal pride in playing their best each night, and I definitely don't doubt that the majority want to go hard every night. The reality of the situation is that resting is beneficial to the team, espcailly when playoff seedings are locked up or, on the flip side, the season is lost and you should give younger, cheaper players more experience when it doesn't cost your team anything.

Nothing will change because of personal pride or what a player owes to the fans. The NBA doesn't really care about fans in that way. And even if players do, they don't have more power than the organization, and it's often an organizational decision to rest players.

It won't change until the NBA outlaws it. And the NBA won't outlaw it or regulate it in any way until big dollars start to be at stake and TV revenue or corporate sponsors get into the mix. Talking about what it means to the fans is just another story.

Oh, and the by the way, those "stories" are what drive revenue for the NBA, too. It's about dollars. Who cares what players think about fans.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#12 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:59 am

Lebron is the REAL League Commissioner. Not the middle aged dork inhaling ether every day of his frail life.

Lebron wants more money and less days at the office.

I guarantee you, next CBA there will be a Civil War within the Player's Union because Lebron has an elite class of superstars who control/spin the wheel of salary for their agents.

This is a league controlled by agents and relationship with franchises. Plain and simple. That's how you know where players will sign.

Personally I think Kobe is right, these selfish divas are alienating fans and in the last CBA they had a chance to reduce the number of games but the union did NOT want to take a PAY CUT.

There ya go.

This is why Phil Jackson learned a valuable lesson on signing players. Elite players bring a lot of baggage. Don't do it unless you're prepared.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#13 » by Blockwatcher » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Knickerbock wrote:The Black Mamba is not human though...

The dude would have like a torn ligament or achilles and he be walking around like its nothing.

There won't ever be another Kobe Bryant..

You're right. He's a demon

1 John 2 : 15-17

Return to New York Knicks