ImageImageImageImageImage

[6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece)

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Knicks93
Senior
And1: 295

Re: [6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece) 

Post#301 » by Knicks93 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:12 pm

I think we should resign Rose. Give him a chance on a cheap contract. 2 year 20 mil or something along those lines. Think he might be better if he doesn't miss training camp this year like last year. Trust Phil also when it comes to his read on their personality, I bet Rose is very motivated. If Rose plays defense, I'd have no problem with him. Gets any sort of shot and understands the triangle, and he'd be fantastic
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,241

Re: RE: Re: [6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece) 

Post#302 » by seren » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:23 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
nyc1695 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:Im willing to bet Phil Jackson Slow footed the deal and then Minn got cold feet. You seriously can't make this up lol. Ok Phil. You got KP and Frank. Now GTFOH!

but you literally just made that up...

Yeah I made up that someone was begging Phil to take Rubio but at the 11th hour they pulled the offer back. That would suggest that Phil was taking to long to decide on what to do and gave Minn to much time to think. By all accounts Phil Jackson says yes early in the talks,The Deal is DONE. All the reports from last year was that Minn and the Knicks were in talks for Rubio for Rose for a couple days basically. So yeah I made this up.

From what I read at the time, Minnesota approached to us for Rose+another asset for Rubio which we didn't want to give. Good decision, IMO.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
seren
RealGM

Post#303 » by seren » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Keep it simple. Keep Rose for two years at 12-15 per. Keep Holliday for two years at around 8 million per. Use MLE on a young piece that hasn't blossomed but worth the risk (Shabaz Mohammed maybe). See where you are close to trade deadline. If they produce, move these pieces along with Lee for future assets.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,498

Post#304 » by DOT » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:34 pm

shtolky wrote:Yea I don't think there is any way Frank is that low on the depth chart. I wouldn't take what Phil/Rosen say about Frank's contribution too literally. When KP was drafted there were Phil quotes and Rosen articles about how we were hoping to get him "as much as 20 minutes" a game and then a bit more later in the season. In November of his rookie year, KP averaged near 30 minutes per game. I think they are just keeping expectations in check. If Frank plays well in SL and training camp, they won't be able to hold him back and why the heck would they.

Yeah, I remember people talking about us starting DWill, just cause we had no idea what KP was gonna be, then in SL and presumably during training camp, he showed out and was a starter day one. I think we'll see the same with Frank, once he gets his feet wet we'll have a more solid grasp on where Frank is on the depth chart
Plus, this is like that Shawn Bradley talk, Phil's trying to put a chip on Frank's shoulder to get him to play better and earn the starting spot instead of just giving it to him
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#305 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Knicks93 wrote:
Greenie wrote:I've never heard of a rookie lotto pick being 3rd string on a bad team.

Those mofo's start or are AT LEAST the first off the bench.

Never? Just last year Dragan Bender and Kris Dunn. Come on, some guys take time to develop. I'd bet Frank is the back up point guard next year, will beat out Ron Baker

Dunn was second string going into the season. He lost minutes as the season progressed.

Bender was a on team filled with bigs.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,498

Post#306 » by DOT » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Way I see it, here are our options:

A. Frank starts, Baker off the bench

Pros: Frank gets a lot of minutes right off the bat, most cap friendly option
Cons: Starting a rookie PG, especially a project like Frank is risky, he may not develop as fast as we want

B. Trade for Rubio

Pros: Rubio is still youngish, great mentor for Frank to learn from, Euro, shouldn't be good enough to bring us to the playoffs
Cons: Have to give up an asset to get him, biggest contract of options, may be good enough to add a few wins

C. Re-sign Rose (2 years, 24 mil hopefully team option 2nd year)

Pros: Continuity, not a huge contract all in all, if he plays well we can trade him for a positive asset later, we probably won't need the cap space next year so we can just cut him in the offseason
Cons: He sucks, bad for the culture, more money than I want to spend

D. Sign a mid-level FA to a short term deal (example Livingston 2 years, 25-30 million)

Pros: Good for the culture, tall guard for Frank to learn from, allows Frank to develop more safely
Cons: Expensive, not guaranteed we get him

My opinion, D is the best option, followed by B, A, and C
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: RE: Re: [6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece) 

Post#307 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:51 pm

seren wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
nyc1695 wrote:
but you literally just made that up...

Yeah I made up that someone was begging Phil to take Rubio but at the 11th hour they pulled the offer back. That would suggest that Phil was taking to long to decide on what to do and gave Minn to much time to think. By all accounts Phil Jackson says yes early in the talks,The Deal is DONE. All the reports from last year was that Minn and the Knicks were in talks for Rubio for Rose for a couple days basically. So yeah I made this up.

From what I read at the time, Minnesota approached to us for Rose+another asset for Rubio which we didn't want to give. Good decision, IMO.

I don't remember that. I remember it being one for one.

Read on Twitter
seren
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: [6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece) 

Post#308 » by seren » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
seren wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Read on Twitter

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694692-derrick-rose-for-ricky-rubio-knicks-trade-reportedly-rejected-by-timberwolves

Here: Per ESPN's Marc Stein, the Timberwolves declined the Knicks' one-for-one offer of Rose for Rubio. 

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: [6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece) 

Post#309 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:32 pm

seren wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
seren wrote:From what I read at the time, Minnesota approached to us for Rose+another asset for Rubio which we didn't want to give. Good decision, IMO.

Read on Twitter

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694692-derrick-rose-for-ricky-rubio-knicks-trade-reportedly-rejected-by-timberwolves

Here: Per ESPN's Marc Stein, the Timberwolves declined the Knicks' one-for-one offer of Rose for Rubio. 

This same article says its THE KNICKS who wanted the extra asset, not the Wolves pushing for it from the knicks . Which still goes against your original statement. If anything it shows that the Knicks played around to long like I said, then at the last minute wanted to give the wolves deal they wanted and by then Wolves said nah we good.
NYF13
Senior
And1: 297

Post#310 » by NYF13 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:38 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
seren wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Read on Twitter

This same article says its THE KNICKS who wanted the extra asset, not the Wolves pushing for it from the knicks . Which still goes against your original statement. If anything it shows that the Knicks played around to long like I said, then at the last minute wanted to give the wolves deal they wanted and by then Wolves said nah we good.

You talk like you are sitting between Phil and the phone while this deal being discussed.
1. Don't
2. Try to learn and say "I think" before a sentence. It will help you long-term.
3. If you don't improvise on my advice, you possibly end up doing nothing in the world.
In short, all I am saying is RJ-Brunson-Grimes-Quickley-Randle are the untouchables moving forward.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#311 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 pm

NYF13 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
seren wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694692-derrick-rose-for-ricky-rubio-knicks-trade-reportedly-rejected-by-timberwolves

You talk like you are sitting between Phil and the phone while this deal being discussed.
1. Don't
2. Try to learn and say "I think" before a sentence. It will help you long-term.
3. If you don't improvise on my advice, you possibly end up doing nothing in the world.

This will help you long term. FOH!
NYF13
Senior

Post#312 » by NYF13 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:46 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
NYF13 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

1. Don't

There's nothing wrong here trying to learn to get better.
In short, all I am saying is RJ-Brunson-Grimes-Quickley-Randle are the untouchables moving forward.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,959

Post#313 » by god shammgod » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:46 pm

oh no. michael carter williams is a free agent. he's just the kind of "no talent but tall" guard that phil likes.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#314 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 pm

NYF13 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
NYF13 wrote:
1. Don't

There is nothing wrong with minding your damn business. Help your wife/girl or children get better. Like I said. FOH
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#315 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:49 pm

If Rosen really is speaking for Phil here, then 2 years at $10-12 million per year may just be a starting-off point, and Rose's team could counter with a higher amount and we'd settle somewhere at $12-15/year. Or perhaps this is Phil trying to establish a market price for Rose and negotiations will start lower than that from his end?

Retaining Rose would be far from my first option, but if we are unable to lure another veteran point guard here for a reasonable price, or trade for one, then I suppose Rose on a short-term deal could be an ok last-resort. If Melo is traded, then Rose's numbers will look better and he may have some decent trade value by the deadline or next off-season and we could get something in return for him.

Again, I wouldn't welcome it, but it's clear by this point I'm going to remain a fan of this team no matter what they do to us.
NYF13
Senior

Post#316 » by NYF13 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:50 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
NYF13 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

There is nothing wrong with minding your damn business. Help your wife/girl or children get better. Like I said. FOH

Thanks and they are doing great. None of them have issue like you do or talk at the level you do. So helping one out such as yourself makes me feel proud.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#317 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:51 pm

NYF13 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
NYF13 wrote:There's nothing wrong here trying to learn to get better.

Thanks and they are doing great. None of them have issue like you do or talk at the level you do. So helping one out such as yourself makes me feel proud.

Good For you.Now Go EAD it will help you stay busy from trying to help me out.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,959

Post#318 » by god shammgod » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:52 pm

well damn
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,107

Post#319 » by Wolfgang630 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Why does Phil like exit interviews so much. No don't bring Rose back. Man can we get the REBUILDING going already. Jesus let him go. Don't resign him. Just start Frank.
NYF13
Senior

Post#320 » by NYF13 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
NYF13 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Good For you.Now Go EAD it will help you stay busy from trying to help me out.

Something tells me that I make more money just staring at some of your comments than you would by EOD.

Return to New York Knicks