ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Mills Outlines The Knicks Plan: FULL REBUILD

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,655

Re: RE: Re: Steve Mills Outlines The Knicks Plan: FULL REBUILD 

Post#81 » by Buttah304 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Starks wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:
Starks wrote:
There won't ever be enough brainwashing effort to make me believe that throwing the farm at him wasn't an absurd move.

Look, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope was available at the time we handed THJr this stupidly massive contract. An actual, real 2-way player, and younger to top it off. Need I say more? Did we even try?

Keep reassuring yourself with quotes, our decision-making still suck big time.

Keep telling yourself KCP is a 2-Way Player

-he is extremely inefficient
-terrible 3PT shooter
-does not get to the line
-regressed offensively every year
-complete and utter dissapearing act during games

If you like guys who are a LOCK to shoot 38-40% FG every year while shooting 31-32% from 3 that's fine by me. But wake up from your dream telling you that he is a two way player.

Last season:

KCP 35% from 3 with 5.8 attempts/game
THJ 35,7% from 3 with 5.3 attempts/game

I'm sorry but their offensive stats so far are pretty comparable. Small difference though: KCP is one of the best defensive 2s in the league, while THJ is a liability at best. Didn't Mills just say that they wanted to emphasize defense in his revolutionary statement? Yeah right.

The biggest mistake that you made was bringing statistics into your defense.

KCP TS% Last Season: .519
KCP TS% Career: .509

THJ TS% Last Season: .568
THJ TS% Career: .548
THJ TS% As Starter Last Year: .592 (Elite Territory)

KCP Career eFG%: .477
THJ Career eFG%: .514

When you also add in the fact that THJ became a better passer on offense, a stronger rebounder and a more well rounded defender I just cannot fathom wanting KCP. This is not simply backed up via the eye test its based on actual facts. People can be mad at the $71 Million all they want but THJ is a better player now and the reality is that he is improving his game and KCP is regressing.
bklynstoops
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Re: Steve Mills Outlines The Knicks Plan: FULL REBUILD 

Post#82 » by bklynstoops » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Capn'O wrote:They're saying the right things but Isiah also talked about getting younger, longer, and more athletic. The devil is in the details.

it's true..Isiah tried to shortcut the process by taking on half-baked talent that other teams had started to give up on. And he never had a player development system other than his belief that he could be a father figure to wayward youth. He also never instilled a playing system with a commitment to a coach that dictated fit when looking for players. He also clearly had no regard for character and professionalism. All of this takes real commitment in terms of proper staffing and time. I'm skeptical this organization has that kind of discipline and patience.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,382

Post#83 » by drekwins » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:38 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
2010 wrote:
"Today is a new day for this franchise," Steve Mills said in the news release. "Scott Perry will immediately begin to put together a basketball operations department that is among the best in the league. We will all be united in implementing our strategy, which is to build our team by developing young players, emphasizing athleticism, length and defense. We have several rising young stars in the organization and we expect to add more young talent to this core. Our message to our fans is clear: we will be disciplined in sticking to this strategy, hold our players and staff accountable to the high standards that we have set for ourselves, and deliver results."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20045587

Well I'll be!

Rebuilding in NYC

And they said it couldn't be done

I can't believe that Mills is the guy to do what Isiah, Larry Brown, Layden, Checketts, Donnie and Phil couldn't... Who would have thought it...?
Crunchknicks1
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#84 » by Crunchknicks1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:39 pm

It's about paying on what he can become not what he is. They paid thinking as a starter he avg 17.5. Maybe he can grow off that and continue to get better on D. They gambled on his hard work in the off season. They over paid we all agree but I get why they did it. He was a player Mills was upset we lost. We want to run and gun in Jeff system he fits that style of play. What's so hard to understand
Starks
Veteran
And1: 408

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Steve Mills Outlines The Knicks Plan: FULL REBUILD 

Post#85 » by Starks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:40 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:
Starks wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:Hardaway is 25 and getting better. A signing like this goes along with their plan.

There won't ever be enough brainwashing effort to make me believe that throwing the farm at him wasn't an absurd move.

Look, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope was available at the time we handed THJr this stupidly massive contract. An actual, real 2-way player, and younger to top it off. Need I say more? Did we even try?

Keep reassuring yourselves with quotes, our decision-making still suck big time.

KCP is not a two way player. He's an awful offensive player. Hardaway Jr. is better.

Wow, I won't put too much effort responding to such a weak post.

Also, breaking news: basketball includes defense as well.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,317

Post#86 » by gavran » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:42 pm

What's Dolan's plan though?
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,317

Post#87 » by gavran » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Starks wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:
Starks wrote:

Keep reassuring yourselves with quotes, our decision-making still suck big time.

KCP is not a two way player. He's an awful offensive player. Hardaway Jr. is better.

That make Pope a 1 way player.
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#88 » by drekwins » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 pm

captvict wrote:I'm confused. Yet they are going to re-evaluate the Melo situation and reach out to an old tiring non athletic wing and ask him to stay on???

Really. You gotta love this franchises line of crap

It's more about not taking on **** contracts. They're reaching out to communicate the plan and why they can't get a deal done with Cleveland and Houston. They're basically going to say: It's not going to happen with those teams because it hurts out goals. Then, they'll say that it's actually better for their goals to let his contract expire.

They'll then go on to say that they are still open to moving him, but it has a to be a win-win. Houston and Cleveland don't work. Expand his list and they'll try again.
Jables120
Sophomore
And1: 143

Re: RE: Re: Steve Mills Outlines The Knicks Plan: FULL REBUILD 

Post#89 » by Jables120 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Starks wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:
Starks wrote:

Keep reassuring yourself with quotes, our decision-making still suck big time.

Keep telling yourself KCP is a 2-Way Player

-he is extremely inefficient
-terrible 3PT shooter
-does not get to the line
-regressed offensively every year
-complete and utter dissapearing act during games

If you like guys who are a LOCK to shoot 38-40% FG every year while shooting 31-32% from 3 that's fine by me. But wake up from your dream telling you that he is a two way player.

Last season:

KCP 35% from 3 with 5.8 attempts/game
THJ 35,7% from 3 with 5.3 attempts/game

I'm sorry but their offensive stats so far are pretty comparable. Small difference though: KCP is one of the best defensive 2s in the league, while THJ is a liability at best. Didn't Mills just say that they wanted to emphasize defense in his revolutionary statement? Yeah right.

KCP's 51.9% TS is no where close to Hardaways 56.8% TS.
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#90 » by drekwins » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Starks wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:
Starks wrote:

KCP is not good at all. He's not a 2-way player... He's a one-way defensive guy. His offense is inefficient and broken. We've been over this.
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#91 » by 2010 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Capn'O wrote:They're saying the right things but Isiah also talked about getting younger, longer, and more athletic. The devil is in the details.

And Isiah did get the team younger, longer, and more athletic. Where Isiah failed was he didn't exhibit enough patience. He traded 1st round picks for malcontents and he gambled too much (wasn't conservative in his handling of resources & assets). He wasn't as professional as Mills in culture and corporate structure. And he gave too much leeway to Steph Marbury and didn't hold him accountable. He harbored and participated in too much scandal. Then ultimately regarding player personnel, after a certain catastrophic injury, the players were miscast and the pieces didn't fit.

To be fair, Isiah had us on the right track until Allan Houston's knees failed. Then schit went haywire. A Marbury/Houston backcourt with a young Crawford as combo guard off the bench was the original plan. Crawford was never supposed to be a starter at guard. But Houston never got back on the court and was never healthy again after that first microfracture procedure. People forget Houston came off averaging 22ppg the off season he had the surgery. His best season. With all that said, Mills has learned from Isiahs failures.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#92 » by Red Vines » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:49 pm

Is Rebecca Haarlow considered long and athletic? Asking for my friend Tina.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#93 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:51 pm

god shammgod wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:Is this from the Onion or did he actually say this? Wow! Bring it on Mr. Mills, bring it on... (Well, actually, this is Phils plan, you know, the guy you just fired ;-)

phil had the job for 3 years - calderon, lance, afflalo, lopez, noah, rose, lee.....not exactly a youth movement

Sure, but we both know at the start, we were playing to win. The youth movement came after we really started sucking.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#94 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:52 pm

2010 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Fair enough, but the plan being rebuilding and youth, not so much the athletic part - well, KP sure B Athletic though. And if what you say is really the new plan, then that means Willy is gone and Frank might not be that guy (it will take him 2 years or so to really know but I think he will be über athletic once he fills out.)

I think they would consider trading Willy yeah. I like Willy but not sure he fits in as a starter. If they keep him in bench they need to clear some playing time for him by trading other dudes. Frank definitely fits the plan.

You bugging. I can tell you straight up WHG ain't going no where. Especially not with Mills at the helm.

I hope not, he is an extremely talented player. If we sold now, we would be selling low anyway. Let's see what he's got. His value will not get any lower imo.
RealGM

Post#95 » by 2010 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:52 pm

gavran wrote:What's Dolan's plan though?

Dolan's plan is to stay the phucc out the way. He has confirmed he will continue to not be involved with running the team.

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#96 » by blueNorange » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm

smart knick fans have been asking for this chit for 20 years now, if you tell the fans you're rebuilding they won't complain.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,501

Post#97 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 pm

stop crying about KCP

timmy is better than him
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
RealGM

Post#98 » by 2010 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 pm

drekwins wrote:
captvict wrote:I'm confused. Yet they are going to re-evaluate the Melo situation and reach out to an old tiring non athletic wing and ask him to stay on???

Really. You gotta love this franchises line of crap

It's more about not taking on **** contracts. They're reaching out to communicate the plan and why they can't get a deal done with Cleveland and Houston. They're basically going to say: It's not going to happen with those teams because it hurts out goals. Then, they'll say that it's actually better for their goals to let his contract expire.

They'll then go on to say that they are still open to moving him, but it has a to be a win-win. Houston and Cleveland don't work. Expand his list and they'll try again.

Fax machine

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#99 » by BKlutch » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:55 pm

blueNorange wrote:smart knick fans have been asking for this chit for 20 years now, if you tell the fans you're rebuilding they won't complain.

The key word is smart

Most Knick fans just want to win today, at the latest.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Starks
Veteran
And1: 408

Post#100 » by Starks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:57 pm

drekwins wrote:
Starks wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:KCP is not a two way player. He's an awful offensive player. Hardaway Jr. is better.

KCP is not good at all. He's not a 2-way player... He's a one-way defensive guy. His offense is inefficient and broken. We've been over this.

Ah sorry, didn't know the Council already ruled on the matter.

Back to reality, just because you and a couple of friends have the same opinion on the subject doesn't make it an absolute truth.

Actually, I'm still surprised at how many people are willing to be delusional just to make our moves look good. I should know better by now...

Return to New York Knicks