ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,908

Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player 

Post#1 » by KnixinSix » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:17 pm

Look at the results. Randle is averaging 23.1 points, 11 rebounds, and 5.6 assists... He is shooting 40 percent from three....

He is in rarified air. Here is the list of players to average at least 23 points, 11 rebounds and five assists in a season while also shooting at least 40 percent on 3s: Julius Randle.

Here is the list if you downsize that to 20, 10, and 5 and that 40 percent 3-point shooting: Julius Randle and Larry Bird."

The samples size is big enough now to see this is likely not an aberration at this point. Randle is cementing himself as a bonafide star in this league and YES cornerstone to a potential strong playoff team in the East (if you add another star to the mix).

https://theathletic.com/2391001/2021/02/16/julius-randles-44-point-game-means-more-for-knicks-than-making-him-an-all-star/?source=dailyemail
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 15,335

Re: Julius Randle performance thread 

Post#2 » by KnixtapeH20 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:41 pm

I think Randle can be a LeBron lite if you give him another bona-fide star where it's not all on him. I do think he can be a number one option (if he continues this high level of play) if we had a true point, better spacing, better shooting and a proven backup so he doesn't have to play 48 minutes a night... This man is exhausted every game and that's with elite conditioning.

Get this man some help. Elfrid hurts his game so much. All he does is play hot potato behind the 3 pt line because he knows he cant shoot. And then he's too score first when he's not. Elfrid helps nobody on the team.

Ideally you would love to pair Randle with someone like Kawhi and have Randle the secondary-ish, play off option but I think Randle has shown he's on his way to becoming one of the best players in the league.

Our team is not that far away from serious contention honestly but we need to add and subtract pieces.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,274

Post#3 » by cgf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:49 pm

Is this where we talk about our allstar?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by KnixinSix » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:54 pm

cgf wrote:Is this where we talk about our allstar?

Yup. The Randle bashing (or calling him a non-cornrstone third fiddle on a top team) is getting ridiculous at this point. Sample size is big enough and the coaching is there along with his serious dedication. All the elements are there for this to be what we expect to see from him moving forward.

He CAN be a legit star along with one other star player on a very strong playoff team.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
cgf
RealGM

Post#5 » by cgf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:04 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
cgf wrote:Is this where we talk about our allstar?

Yup. The Randle bashing (or calling him a non-cornrstone third fiddle on a top team) is getting ridiculous at this point. Sample size is big enough and the coaching is there along with his serious dedication. All the elements are there for this to be what we expect to see from him moving forward.

He CAN be a legit star along with one other star player on a very strong playoff team.

Not disagreeing, but I don't think it would really matter even if he couldn't. We're not contending yet & Julius is having a big impact on our kids' development, which should be our priority right now. So even if Randle needed to eventually be upgraded upon for us to take that step, he still would have a very important role to play in the interim.

I'd like to see us giving him a raise this summer; something like waiving him so he can bank that 4m as an unofficial bonus, before re-signing him to a 3 year deal for around 75M.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,758

Re: Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player 

Post#6 » by robillionaire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:11 pm

i think that's agreeable. franchise player, nah. but certainly a cornerstone. i mean even "third fiddle on a top team" is a cornerstone. Bosh was a cornerstone in miami...
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,419

Post#7 » by Grinditout » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:15 pm

He's definitely proven himself as a solid All-star level player this season. I need to see him in the playoffs before I can be comfortable with calling him a cornerstone.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,168

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:22 pm

And this is kind of the other extreme that I think folks fall into.

Just in case folks are thinking that I only focus on one extreme (the negative one). A 'cornerstone' player? While he's had a terrific season so far, I don't know that he's shown absolute proof that he's a 'cornerstone' player. He's the best player on a team that isn't very talented. I don't think he'd qualify for 'top 15-20 on anyone's list. I don't know that he'd be getting the same type of role on two thirds of the teams in the NBA. I think the Knicks have a very talented player that is producing real nicely for them. If he can show that he can play with the same level of impact for the remainder of this season then sure, he should be considered part of the core of this team moving forward. If that's what you mean by 'cornerstone' then sure. Let's see what happens the rest of this year to make that judgment.

I would not trade him unless the return is mind blowing and fits better in the plans this front office has laid out (which sure appears to be building quickly into a top competitive team and not slowly through the draft).
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by KnixinSix » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:47 pm

moocow007 wrote:And this is kind of the other extreme that I think folks fall into.

Just in case folks are thinking that I only focus on one extreme (the negative one). A 'cornerstone' player? While he's had a terrific season so far, I don't know that he's shown absolute proof that he's a 'cornerstone' player. He's the best player on a team that isn't very talented. I don't think he'd qualify for 'top 15-20 on anyone's list. I don't know that he'd be getting the same type of role on two thirds of the teams in the NBA. I think the Knicks have a very talented player that is producing real nicely for them. If he can show that he can play with the same level of impact for the remainder of this season then sure, he should be considered part of the core of this team moving forward. If that's what you mean by 'cornerstone' then sure. Let's see what happens the rest of this year to make that judgment.

I would not trade him unless the return is mind blowing and fits better in the plans this front office has laid out (which sure appears to be building quickly into a top competitive team and not slowly through the draft).

Not calling him AD, LeBron, Giannis, Luca, Harden, KD or anything like that. However he is in the tier just below for overall value he brings to a team. Miami doesn't have any of the top 5-10 guys , neither does Boston. You can win with the guys just below that provided you have at least 2 a good team around them and play good team defense
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer
And1: 983

Post#10 » by NowWHYcee7 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:59 pm

I don't get why people talk about Randle like he's 31 or 32 years old.

Dude is 26....he's not even in his prime yet.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#11 » by Butch718 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Never been so happy to be wrong about a player.

Knicks don't draft Toppin if they knew Randle was going to be this good.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,220

Post#12 » by sol537 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:08 pm

Keep: Randle, Mitch, RJ, IQ, Noel (cheap), Rose (cheap)

Add: Another 2-way PG, Another 2-way SG/SF, Another 2-way SF/PF

Target: Kawhi, Beal, Lavine, Trent Jr.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,333

Post#13 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:15 pm

No one saw this coming. Melo would even admit that. I liked Julius when we got him....hated him last year. Expected more of the same this year. Low IQ spin cycle was his forte all year.

This season is definitely an eye opener. Could he be making this leap or is it feasting on a bad team? Looks to be making the leap and I am hopeful it is for real because...we usually trade players who become better elsewhere. This is a pleasant surprise. Keep it up and we pick up the option. Good place to be for a change.
:beer: RIP mags
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#14 » by movingon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:23 pm

The most surprising thing is that last year he was largely viewed as a huge defensive liability, whereas this year he's holding his own.
Credit to Thibs obviously, but also to a much higher level of conditioning coming into this year.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,449

Post#15 » by Hes_On_Fire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:37 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
moocow007 wrote:And this is kind of the other extreme that I think folks fall into.

Not calling him AD, LeBron, Giannis, Luca, Harden, KD or anything like that. However he is in the tier just below for overall value he brings to a team. Miami doesn't have any of the top 5-10 guys , neither does Boston. You can win with the guys just below that provided you have at least 2 a good team around them and play good team defense

A cornerstone guy is the guys you mentioned. So, by definition, he’s not a cornerstone player. You can’t win a title with Julius Randle as your best player.

He’s playing much better than he ever has and credit has to go to him. If he stays he can be a nice third option if actual superstars are added to the team. Very rarely in this league do teams without a top 5-10 player win a title. That’s what we should be aiming for in the end.
Thank you, Rick Brunson.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,554

Post#16 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:44 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:I think Randle can be a LeBron lite

Jesus Christ.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,705

Post#17 » by nedleeds » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:44 pm

Good player on a bad team in an atrocious conference, he's not LeBron lite ... we're 14-15 in the garbage East.

If the 3 point shooting holds he could be a good 3rd or 4th best player on a competitive team. Did he finally get in shape because it's essentially a contract year would be my other concern.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#18 » by movingon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:44 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:I think Randle can be a LeBron lite

Jesus Christ.

Lebron Zero.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#19 » by Polk377 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 pm

What's crazy about the season Julius is having is by the numbers it is nearly identical to the last 2 seasons. The only major difference has been his improved 3 point and long 2 point shooting. It goes to show the impact of having a great coach who knows how to put players in better positions really changes things.
cgf
RealGM

Post#20 » by cgf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:54 pm

Polk377 wrote:Image

What's crazy about the season Julius is having is by the numbers it is nearly identical to the last 2 seasons. The only major difference has been his improved 3 point and long 2 point shooting. It goes to show the impact of having a great coach who knows how to put players in better positions really changes things.

I mean his assist rate is up almost 10% over his career average on identical usage to his last two season & a lower turnover rate...that's a pretty major difference.

Return to New York Knicks