ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Re: Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player 

Post#821 » by NewKnicks » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:36 pm

Butch718 wrote:Even if Randle doesn't play up to expectations in the playoffs, it would be foolish not to resign a guy entering his prime years. NBA all-star talents don't grow on trees and this team clearly has deficiencies despite them being red hot right now. We still don't have a legit starting PG(could be Quickly), and even though RJ has improved significantly, he's still hasn't proven to be a legit number 2 option yet. It's clear that this team is nowhere close to be a finished product. This team is an all-star wing and a PG away from being a contender in the east.

Also, I think this whole narrative about wait until we see what Randle does in the playoffs is kinda hilarious, considering that Randle has been fantastic with his playmaking this year. He's not only getting assists, but he seems to be zipping the ball to guys extremely quickly for open looks. Assuming his outside shooting isn't a fluke(which it seems like it isn't due to the volume he's shooting), this guy definitely should be part of your future going forward.

Why is it 'hilarious' to want to see how a player performs in the playoffs? You do realize the playoffs are game planned completely different than the regular season, right?

It's completely fair to want to see how he performs when teams have time to strategize against Randle game after game. There are a lot of players who put up great numbers during the regular season, and then disappear during the playoffs.

And after all, aren't the playoffs really the only thing that matters in the end? Who cares about the reg. season if a player doesn't play at the same level in the playoffs. You say it's hilarious, but it actually means everything. The best players in the game elevate their games in the playoffs. That where the elite players stand above the rest. They win.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,160

Post#822 » by Juco24 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 pm

Butch718 wrote:Even if Randle doesn't play up to expectations in the playoffs, it would be foolish not to resign a guy entering his prime years. NBA all-star talents don't grow on trees and this team clearly has deficiencies despite them being red hot right now. We still don't have a legit starting PG(could be Quickly), and even though RJ has improved significantly, he's still hasn't proven to be a legit number 2 option yet. It's clear that this team is nowhere close to be a finished product. This team is an all-star wing and a PG away from being a contender in the east.

Also, I think this whole narrative about wait until we see what Randle does in the playoffs is kinda hilarious, considering that Randle has been fantastic with his playmaking this year. He's not only getting assists, but he seems to be zipping the ball to guys extremely quickly for open looks. Assuming his outside shooting isn't a fluke(which it seems like it isn't due to the volume he's shooting), this guy definitely should be part of your future going forward.

Dude (along with the ghost of Kobe) and the new coaches have brought the 3 C's back to New York... Team Chemistry, Team Cohesion and Team Consistency. He's a 26 year old all-star who hasn't (LIKE SO MANY OTHERS) backed away from the challenge of New York. He's a max guy imo. Just watching how defenses throw different things just to stop HIM. And he creates for others! Not only are his stats great but he's a LEADER. No brainer imo.

Funny that you have some guys here who were willing to give KP the huge deal (still don't understand why Dallas did) while he was injured and had never led us to the playoffs but yet hesitant to pay Randle. Make that make sense
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,556

Post#823 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:05 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I'd like to add that in Randle and RJ, you have the two best players on the team FULLY bought into the coaches hard work AND the coaches commitment to defense.

So, as much credit as Thibs deserves, and he deserves a LOT, when the top players on the team buy in, all this stuff is MUCH easier sell to the other players.

Plus, I think the Knicks selected their roster based on considerations of playing fit and mental fit. Within the context of 1 year, low money deals, but still.

Yeah, Randle and RJ deserve credit for wanting to be coached. The way they talk about Thibs, it's obvious their appreciation for Thibs is genuine.

Agreed about the fit considerations. The Timberwolves are an example of a team that lacks cohesiveness and harmony in terms of mental fit. The Bulls and Pelicans have no chemistry in terms of playing fit. They're like boxes that contain pieces from different puzzles.
shmeakone
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,437

Post#824 » by shmeakone » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:11 pm

The absolute game changer in his game is his shot. He's become one of the best mid-range AND 3 point shooters in the league. All at the PF position as a ball handler. That is such an asset to have on your team. He's playing out of his mind.

I hope he gets a couple more triple doubles to break Clyde's record for the Knicks.
My lifetime better have a Knicks championship.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,009

Post#825 » by knicks94 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:43 pm

NewKnicks wrote:

Why is it 'hilarious' to want to see how a player performs in the playoffs? You do realize the playoffs are game planned completely different than the regular season, right?

It's completely fair to want to see how he performs when teams have time to strategize against Randle game after game. There are a lot of players who put up great numbers during the regular season, and then disappear during the playoffs.

And after all, aren't the playoffs really the only thing that matters in the end? Who cares about the reg. season if a player doesn't play at the same level in the playoffs. You say it's hilarious, but it actually means everything. The best players in the game elevate their games in the playoffs. That where the elite players stand above the rest. They win.

I agree. We should let Randle go and bring back Porzingis. KP has far more value than Randle because he has something that Randle does not have and that is playoff experience.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,723

Post#826 » by Butch718 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:41 pm

NewKnicks wrote:

because the team is nowhere close to being a finished product. Just imagine how much better Randle would be if this team had an above average pg and another wing that can not only hit a 3, but can consistently create their own shot. No star player can do damage in the playoffs unless they have another star next to them. In the east:

Brooklyn has the big 3.

Embiid has Simmons

Yannis has Holiday and Middleton.

Boston has Brown and Tatum.

Judging what Randle strictly does in the playoffs as an indicator as to whether we should pay him or not is short sighted and foolish. It’s clear that this team needs more help, despite the 9 game winning streak. Randle cannot do it by himself, and RJ still isn’t a legit number 2 option(yet).

You guy wants star players, well one just fell ass backwards to us last off season. Now it’s the front offices job to either draft, or trade for what we need to fill the rest of the team’s deficiencies.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#827 » by NewKnicks » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:02 pm

Butch718 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

because the team is nowhere close to being a finished product. Just imagine how much better Randle would be if this team had an above average pg and another wing that can not only hit a 3, but can consistently create their own shot. No star player can do damage in the playoffs unless they have another star next to them. In the east:

Brooklyn has the big 3.

Embiid has Simmons

Judging what Randle strictly does in the playoffs as an indicator as to whether we should pay him or not is short sighted and foolish. It’s clear that this team needs more help, despite the 9 game winning streak. Randle cannot do it by himself, and RJ still isn’t a legit number 2 option(yet).

You guy wants star players, well one just fell ass backwards to us last off season. Now it’s the front offices job to either draft, or trade for what we need to fill the rest of the team’s deficiencies.

Here you go again putting words in my mouth. Of course the regular season matters, and I actually agree with you. Randle has been lights out. But, there is nothing wrong for me (and other fans) to speculate about how his play will be in the playoffs. Why not think about it? it matters bigtime and we're about to find out.

I'm loving this win streak, but it doesn't mean that's the only subject anyone is allowed to talk about.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,428

Post#828 » by DOT » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:04 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:i went from "iono about that deal" to "OMG we finally have locked in a true star!"

i hate to say it, but merry pills called this one. they didn't have the environment to materialize his development, but they had the right guy in mind for once.

That's key. And maybe it was luck that Dolan fired Mills out of "no KD/Kyrie pique, but it worked out that a FO came in, seemingly with a plan to maximize the talent and mindsets of Randle and RJ.

I wonder to what extent WWW/Calipari were doing some backchannel talking to Dolan, encouraging him to not only out Fizzle and eventually Miller, but also the ineffective half of management.

Because in Thibs and Kenny Payne, they brought in the exact kind of coaches Randle and RJ would respond to - and also Johnnie Bryant.

Again, the FO hasn't been perfect, and Obi was a giant whiff, but they've been very solid, but especially on the coaching staff assembling level, and I think the other parts of the FO too - with Zanin, Perrin, the rest of the scouting department etc - though that stuff needs to be judged over a longer period of time.

i am not calling obi a whiff yet. he's not the best fit, but i am not ruling out him being the best player on the board at that point. we compare him to haliburton who is a better fit... but lots of basketball to be played.

i refuse to believe role and usage (and early injury) aren't huge factors in why the best player in college last year has looked so off.

That would be an argument if people were saying we should've drafted Avdija, who is around the same level of Obi as a player but a much better fit, or Vassell or Nesmith

But with Haliburton, he isn't just a better fit, he's clearly the better player of the two, and he's 2 years younger. And just because someone was the best player in college the previous year does not mean they are automatically a good NBA player, especially when they're older and play in a weak conference.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,102

Post#829 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:39 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
That's key. And maybe it was luck that Dolan fired Mills out of "no KD/Kyrie pique, but it worked out that a FO came in, seemingly with a plan to maximize the talent and mindsets of Randle and RJ.

I wonder to what extent WWW/Calipari were doing some backchannel talking to Dolan, encouraging him to not only out Fizzle and eventually Miller, but also the ineffective half of management.

Because in Thibs and Kenny Payne, they brought in the exact kind of coaches Randle and RJ would respond to - and also Johnnie Bryant.

Again, the FO hasn't been perfect, and Obi was a giant whiff, but they've been very solid, but especially on the coaching staff assembling level, and I think the other parts of the FO too - with Zanin, Perrin, the rest of the scouting department etc - though that stuff needs to be judged over a longer period of time.

i am not calling obi a whiff yet. he's not the best fit, but i am not ruling out him being the best player on the board at that point. we compare him to haliburton who is a better fit... but lots of basketball to be played.

i refuse to believe role and usage (and early injury) aren't huge factors in why the best player in college last year has looked so off.

That would be an argument if people were saying we should've drafted Avdija, who is around the same level of Obi as a player but a much better fit, or Vassell or Nesmith

But with Haliburton, he isn't just a better fit, he's clearly the better player of the two, and he's 2 years younger. And just because someone was the best player in college the previous year does not mean they are automatically a good NBA player, especially when they're older and play in a weak conference.

i don't challenge any of your thoughts on this. and i love haliburton. i just think it's understandable to think obi was BPA at that point. haliburton slipped badly in the draft. and as we passed on him it stung. but i also understand that it was kind of alarming to see obi still on the board.

and i do think different circumstances you'd have mad knick fans like "OMG WE PASSED ON OBI! HE'S EATING IN XXXX." especially if his usage were high and the style of play suited him.

also, i don't like the weak conference argument. dayton was legit and i really thought they had a shot at the title regardless who they faced. that was just a damn good TEAM. obi is also a curious case of development being where it's at. he's mad old, but his trajectory was on the upswing. we try too hard to put caps on the ages that's supposed to happen like they aren't all young and still young until at leat the mid-twenties.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#830 » by br7knicks » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:17 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I'd like to add that in Randle and RJ, you have the two best players on the team FULLY bought into the coaches hard work AND the coaches commitment to defense.

So, as much credit as Thibs deserves, and he deserves a LOT, when the top players on the team buy in, all this stuff is MUCH easier sell to the other players.

Plus, I think the Knicks selected their roster based on considerations of playing fit and mental fit. Within the context of 1 year, low money deals, but still.

this has been the knicks downfall the last 10 years. haven't been able to find the right coach or players that buy into what can work.

thibs deserves a lot of credit. but it's also good that the knicks brought in (and drafted) players that are buying what the coach is selling, which has led to success so far
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer
And1: 983

Post#831 » by NowWHYcee7 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:49 pm

Can one of you guys go and edit Julius' Wikipedia page and change his picture to one in a Knicks uniform....Lakers gave up on him, no reason why he should be in purple and gold.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#832 » by Butch718 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:11 am

NewKnicks wrote:
Butch718 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

Brooklyn has the big 3.

Embiid has Simmons

Here you go again putting words in my mouth. Of course the regular season matters, and I actually agree with you. Randle has been lights out. But, there is nothing wrong for me (and other fans) to speculate about how his play will be in the playoffs. Why not think about it? it matters bigtime and we're about to find out.

I'm loving this win streak, but it doesn't mean that's the only subject anyone is allowed to talk about.

:lol: you literally said “aren’t the playoffs really the only thing that matters in the end.” You’re the only one moving the goal posts here.

My entire point was me stating that Randle is the real deal, and should be part of our future going forward, whether he plays well in the playoffs or not.

Judging what he does with an unfinished product in the playoffs and letting that dictate his future on this team is what’s foolish and shortsighted.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,404
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#833 » by BKlutch » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:34 am

Butch718 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Butch718 wrote:

Brooklyn has the big 3.

Embiid has Simmons

:lol: you literally said “aren’t the playoffs really the only thing that matters in the end.” You’re the only one moving the goal posts here.

My entire point was me stating that Randle is the real deal, and should be part of our future going forward, whether he plays well in the playoffs or not.

Judging what he does with an unfinished product in the playoffs and letting that dictate his future on this team is what’s foolish and shortsighted.

The game slowed down for Randle this year, so he sees the court much better and he makes far better decisions and plays. In the same way, our FO now has much more awareness of the game, far better connections throughout the league, and a good analytical understanding of what it means to sign certain players. Most importantly, they will now always look for fit with this team.

New fans tend to go for the shiny new stuff and learn later why false milestones don't relate to future success. Glad to see you have a balanced long term view - certain we'd have done better with you or several other posters than we did with Pills.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Butch718
RealGM

Post#834 » by Butch718 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:16 am

Randle passes the eye test. His passing and playmaking ability are above average, along with his outside shot. Nothing about his performance this season seems fluky to me anymore. He’s been performing at a high level night in and night out. His worst game during this win streak is a triple double in which he scored 15 points.

Also, he seems to have picked up Kobe’s work ethic and has embraced the pressure of playing in NY, which is why I don’t see him coming back down to earth after this season. I’m all in.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,391

Post#835 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:44 am

K-DOT wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Still should have drafted Poku at #8. Will be seen as a steal later. Also - for heaven's sake use your pick in the 2nd round to take Theo at #33. The drafting was terrible looked at from any angle.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,268

Post#836 » by aq_ua » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:23 am

Butch718 wrote:Randle passes the eye test. His passing and playmaking ability are above average, along with his outside shot. Nothing about his performance this season seems fluky to me anymore. He’s been performing at a high level night in and night out. His worst game during this win streak is a triple double in which he scored 15 points.

Also, he seems to have picked up Kobe’s work ethic and has embraced the pressure of playing in NY, which is why I don’t see him coming back down to earth after this season. I’m all in.

I agree with this, Randle has developed enough weapons to be considered a legitimate first option. I don't like this whole narrative about him suddenly developing all these skills - I think it's more about getting comfortable in the role and having the endurance to maintain mental focus through to crunch time (and not defaulting to a spin to nowhere move). Therefore, this is no longer about coming back down to earth - this is his earth - it's about keeping him healthy and maintaining over the course of seasons to come.

The next key to get this team to the next level is a true second option. I like RJ, a lot, but he's not ready to be the secondary creator full time. Derrick Rose is the de facto second option on the team, but that's not sustainable going forward. We are a second option worthy ball-handling creator / distributor away from being in the conversation as a contender in the East. More easy said than done, but, dang, heck of a statement to be even contemplating.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,562

Post#837 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:52 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Still should have drafted Poku at #8. Will be seen as a steal later. Also - for heaven's sake use your pick in the 2nd round to take Theo at #33. The drafting was terrible looked at from any angle.

The bit of maneuvering to get IQ, and getting IQ himself, was fine. In fact, getting IQ was good. That draft won't be "terrible" just based on that. Poku I get why teams passed on him and it's easier for an OKC to make that pick for a variety of reasons - that they are committed to sucking and tanking for several years, so they don't mind taking a guy who will take some time to develop, regardless of ceiling, and also that they have about 40 picks in the next 5 years, so they can take some swings for the fences.

Agree the Knicks should have held onto 33 and done something with it
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,562

Post#838 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:58 pm

aq_ua wrote:
Butch718 wrote:Randle passes the eye test. His passing and playmaking ability are above average, along with his outside shot. Nothing about his performance this season seems fluky to me anymore. He’s been performing at a high level night in and night out. His worst game during this win streak is a triple double in which he scored 15 points.

I agree with this, Randle has developed enough weapons to be considered a legitimate first option. I don't like this whole narrative about him suddenly developing all these skills - I think it's more about getting comfortable in the role and having the endurance to maintain mental focus through to crunch time (and not defaulting to a spin to nowhere move). Therefore, this is no longer about coming back down to earth - this is his earth - it's about keeping him healthy and maintaining over the course of seasons to come.

The next key to get this team to the next level is a true second option. I like RJ, a lot, but he's not ready to be the secondary creator full time. Derrick Rose is the de facto second option on the team, but that's not sustainable going forward. We are a second option worthy ball-handling creator / distributor away from being in the conversation as a contender in the East. More easy said than done, but, dang, heck of a statement to be even contemplating.

Agreed on Randle not suddenly developing these skills. He's much the same player he's always been, skill wise.

Except for the jumper and the 3 (sort of the same, but not exactly) where he took BIG strides and it's taken him to the next level.
The rest is the maturity\recognition to want to be coached hard to go with extra hard work.

It's interesting the Knicks put the coaching pieces together seemingly specifically to unlock Randle and RJ.
That's what good teams do.
Thibs - both of them
Payne - more specifically helpful to Randle
Bryant - more specifically helpful to RJ

And of course both of those guys will help bigs and guards/wings developmentally.

I kind of hope that narrative builds publicly or at least among NBA insiders - that Thibs, Payne and Bryant have developed the players on the Knicks.
Since that and winning are the supposed big drawers for 'starz' now.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,060

Post#839 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:12 pm

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,060

Post#840 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:18 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
aq_ua wrote:

Agreed on Randle not suddenly developing these skills. He's much the same player he's always been, skill wise.

Except for the jumper and the 3 (sort of the same, but not exactly) where he took BIG strides and it's taken him to the next level.
The rest is the maturity\recognition to want to be coached hard to go with extra hard work.

It's interesting the Knicks put the coaching pieces together seemingly specifically to unlock Randle and RJ.
That's what good teams do.
Thibs - both of them
Payne - more specifically helpful to Randle
Bryant - more specifically helpful to RJ

And of course both of those guys will help bigs and guards/wings developmentally.

I kind of hope that narrative builds publicly or at least among NBA insiders - that Thibs, Payne and Bryant have developed the players on the Knicks.
Since that and winning are the supposed big drawers for 'starz' now.

Yeah, Randle always had these skills. I mean we saw these flashes over his career (or at least I did), he's now just putting it all together and being consistent on a daily basis.
I will say I did not see him becoming a sniper on pretty much a Dirk level though. On the Pelicans he shot 34% from 3 and I thought he would just hover around that area for his career. Then last year happened and I assume Fizdale and Keith smart made his jumper worse like they did with DSJ and RJ. But now this year it's improved in so many ways even I could not have even predicted. It is truly amazing. I mean he is shooting a schit load of 3's off the dribble and making them highly contested. It's crazy
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to New York Knicks