ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Re: Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player 

Post#841 » by NewKnicks » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:23 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Butch718 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Here you go again putting words in my mouth. Of course the regular season matters, and I actually agree with you. Randle has been lights out. But, there is nothing wrong for me (and other fans) to speculate about how his play will be in the playoffs. Why not think about it? it matters bigtime and we're about to find out.

I'm loving this win streak, but it doesn't mean that's the only subject anyone is allowed to talk about.

:lol: you literally said “aren’t the playoffs really the only thing that matters in the end.” You’re the only one moving the goal posts here.

My entire point was me stating that Randle is the real deal, and should be part of our future going forward, whether he plays well in the playoffs or not.

Judging what he does with an unfinished product in the playoffs and letting that dictate his future on this team is what’s foolish and shortsighted.

The game slowed down for Randle this year, so he sees the court much better and he makes far better decisions and plays. In the same way, our FO now has much more awareness of the game, far better connections throughout the league, and a good analytical understanding of what it means to sign certain players. Most importantly, they will now always look for fit with this team.

New fans tend to go for the shiny new stuff and learn later why false milestones don't relate to future success. Glad to see you have a balanced long term view - certain we'd have done better with you or several other posters than we did with Pills.

What would you guys do without guys like me and Buzzard keeping things real around here? It would just be a dudes high fiving each other and butt slapping each other saying, Damn the Knicks are the best team ever and the FO is and has always been incredible!! :lol:
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,286

Post#842 » by FreeSpiritNY » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:18 pm

This should stop the debate.

People considered melo a cornerstone.
Randel is carrying a worse team @ younger with better efficiency with better all around stats.

Randel help is team get better while melo dragged his team down with his selfish attitude.

To make it simple randel had transformed into a winning player why everyone was always perplexed by why melo never won.

Randel is also becoming very clutch while melo was the opposite.

Randel shares the spot light with rj and gives credit to other teammates and plays good defense while melo complained and didn’t.

If you thought melo was a cornerstone and don’t think randel is then your just biased.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,286

Post#843 » by FreeSpiritNY » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
Butch718 wrote:
:lol: you literally said “aren’t the playoffs really the only thing that matters in the end.” You’re the only one moving the goal posts here.

My entire point was me stating that Randle is the real deal, and should be part of our future going forward, whether he plays well in the playoffs or not.

Judging what he does with an unfinished product in the playoffs and letting that dictate his future on this team is what’s foolish and shortsighted.

The game slowed down for Randle this year, so he sees the court much better and he makes far better decisions and plays. In the same way, our FO now has much more awareness of the game, far better connections throughout the league, and a good analytical understanding of what it means to sign certain players. Most importantly, they will now always look for fit with this team.

New fans tend to go for the shiny new stuff and learn later why false milestones don't relate to future success. Glad to see you have a balanced long term view - certain we'd have done better with you or several other posters than we did with Pills.

What would you guys do without guys like me and Buzzard keeping things real around here? It would just be a dudes high fiving each other and butt slapping each other saying, Damn the Knicks are the best team ever and the FO is and has always been incredible!! :lol:

Randel is a up and coming superstar there I said it for both of you.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,528

Post#844 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:24 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
Butch718 wrote:

Be careful when you say I'm keeping things "real".

I'm a fairly notorious troll half the time. The other half the time I'm mostly serious. The fun is catching the switch! :D
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,696

Post#845 » by Butch718 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:27 pm

If keeping it real is spouting nonsense... :lol:
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,391

Post#846 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:That would be an argument if people were saying we should've drafted Avdija, who is around the same level of Obi as a player but a much better fit, or Vassell or Nesmith

But with Haliburton, he isn't just a better fit, he's clearly the better player of the two, and he's 2 years younger. And just because someone was the best player in college the previous year does not mean they are automatically a good NBA player, especially when they're older and play in a weak conference.

Still should have drafted Poku at #8. Will be seen as a steal later. Also - for heaven's sake use your pick in the 2nd round to take Theo at #33. The drafting was terrible looked at from any angle.

The bit of maneuvering to get IQ, and getting IQ himself, was fine. In fact, getting IQ was good. That draft won't be "terrible" just based on that. Poku I get why teams passed on him and it's easier for an OKC to make that pick for a variety of reasons - that they are committed to sucking and tanking for several years, so they don't mind taking a guy who will take some time to develop, regardless of ceiling, and also that they have about 40 picks in the next 5 years, so they can take some swings for the fences.

Agree the Knicks should have held onto 33 and done something with it

The taking IQ part was fine, I agree, in retrospect. I guess the manoeuvring was to be able to take Maxey (taken by Philly at #21) if he had fallen to #23. So that seems not particularly amazing. Tbh,I can't believe the FO factored Randle's amazing leap forward into account when drafting - hence choosing Obi - so I'm more sceptical of how much easier it was for OKC to take a gamble on Poku than the NYK per se - although this FO were pretty much never going to do that, it's true.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,528

Post#847 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:17 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Still should have drafted Poku at #8. Will be seen as a steal later. Also - for heaven's sake use your pick in the 2nd round to take Theo at #33. The drafting was terrible looked at from any angle.

The bit of maneuvering to get IQ, and getting IQ himself, was fine. In fact, getting IQ was good. That draft won't be "terrible" just based on that. Poku I get why teams passed on him and it's easier for an OKC to make that pick for a variety of reasons - that they are committed to sucking and tanking for several years, so they don't mind taking a guy who will take some time to develop, regardless of ceiling, and also that they have about 40 picks in the next 5 years, so they can take some swings for the fences.

Agree the Knicks should have held onto 33 and done something with it

The taking IQ part was fine, I agree, in retrospect. I guess the manoeuvring was to be able to take Maxey (taken by Philly at #21) if he had fallen to #23. So that seems not particularly amazing. Tbh,I can't believe the FO factored Randle's amazing leap forward into account when drafting - hence choosing Obi - so I'm more sceptical of how much easier it was for OKC to take a gamble on Poku than the NYK per se - although this FO were pretty much never going to do that, it's true.

Obi was absolutely a hedge against Randle. I do agree with the idea of swinging for the fences on a pick at 8, but I can understand the Knicks reluctance.

I think we are in basic agreement. Draft wasn't all that great - by no means was it good. I don't think it was a disaster. I guess "ok", but passing up Maledon was dumb. I mean, why not? Just draft him and not play him for a year, even.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,621

Post#848 » by RHODEY » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:56 pm

Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,254

Post#849 » by Tron Carter » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:02 pm

can we talk about his defense though? his feet move so fast for his size. the way he was staying with cp3 on switches last night was so impressive.
R.I.P Black Mamba
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,024

Post#850 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,416

Post#851 » by Ray Williams » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:49 pm

Butch718 wrote:If keeping it real is spouting nonsense... :lol:

Lol
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,596

Post#852 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 pm

Tron Carter wrote:can we talk about his defense though? his feet move so fast for his size. the way he was staying with cp3 on switches last night was so impressive.

Just imagine what Kenny Payne and johnnie Bryant can do with Kat.....

:droop: :droop:
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohboy109
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#853 » by ohboy109 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:41 am

KnixinSix wrote:Look at the results. Randle is averaging 23.1 points, 11 rebounds, and 5.6 assists... He is shooting 40 percent from three....

He is in rarified air. Here is the list of players to average at least 23 points, 11 rebounds and five assists in a season while also shooting at least 40 percent on 3s: Julius Randle.

Here is the list if you downsize that to 20, 10, and 5 and that 40 percent 3-point shooting: Julius Randle and Larry Bird."

The samples size is big enough now to see this is likely not an aberration at this point. Randle is cementing himself as a bonafide star in this league and YES cornerstone to a potential strong playoff team in the East (if you add another star to the mix).

https://theathletic.com/2391001/2021/02/16/julius-randles-44-point-game-means-more-for-knicks-than-making-him-an-all-star/?source=dailyemail

No he not knicks will never win with him as a top 2 player and that's just facts I will still trade him and sell high
Don't get caught up in the moment
Butch718
RealGM

Post#854 » by Butch718 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:44 am

Selling high for what? Draft picks and players with potential?

Some of you guys are nuts and deserve to go back in time and relive the years of Isiah Thomas, Scott Layden and Phil Jackson again.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,549

Post#855 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:45 pm

FreeSpiritNY wrote:This should stop the debate.

Randel is carrying a worse team @ younger with better efficiency with better all around stats.

Randel help is team get better while melo dragged his team down with his selfish attitude.

To make it simple randel had transformed into a winning player why everyone was always perplexed by why melo never won.

Randel shares the spot light with rj and gives credit to other teammates and plays good defense while melo complained and didn’t.

If you thought melo was a cornerstone and don’t think randel is then your just biased.

Melo had led the Nuggets to the playoffs every year since he was a rookie when he came to NY, including a WCF appearance.

The Knicks made the playoffs his first three years with the Knicks, and he led us to the #2 seed the one year he had a decent supporting cast and Amar'e was sidelined.

Randle is about to make his first postseason appearance at 26 years of age.

Melo was more of a winner than Randle's ever been. It's not even close. Randle is heading in the right direction though, but he has a lot still to prove before he can be considered on Melo's level. He's undoubtedly a better leader though, no question.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#856 » by Butch718 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm

An interesting debate to have is Melo 2012-13 or Randle 20-21.

Not talking career, just one individual season.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#857 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

Melo had led the Nuggets to the playoffs every year since he was a rookie when he came to NY, including a WCF appearance.

The Knicks made the playoffs his first three years with the Knicks, and he led us to the #2 seed the one year he had a decent supporting cast and Amar'e was sidelined.

Melo was more of a winner than Randle's ever been. It's not even close. Randle is heading in the right direction though, but he has a lot still to prove before he can be considered on Melo's level. He's undoubtedly a better leader though, no question.

It’s also arguable that Melo had a much weaker supporting cast that season.

Randle has RJ, Rose, IQ, Bullock, Burks, Mitch, Noel, Gibson, Payton

Melo had Felton, Tyson Chandler, Jr Smith Shumpert, corpses of Jason Kidd, Camby, Prigioni, Novak, K-Mart, Kurt Thomas, Sheed, Broken down Amare, Copeland

RJ, IQ, Rose, Bullock, Burks is better than Jr Smith, shumpert, Felton, Kidd, by a long shot to me.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#858 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:09 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

Melo had Felton, Tyson Chandler, Jr Smith Shumpert, corpses of Jason Kidd, Camby, Prigioni, Novak, K-Mart, Kurt Thomas, Sheed, Broken down Amare, Copeland

RJ, IQ, Rose, Bullock, Burks is better than Jr Smith, shumpert, Felton, Kidd, by a long shot to me.

I think it's close tbh.

Melo didn't have to play with LeFraud either.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#859 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:18 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Melo had led the Nuggets to the playoffs every year since he was a rookie when he came to NY, including a WCF appearance.

I think it's close tbh.

Felton played like Payton against Indiana though...

11 PPG 4 APG on 37/33/63 splits

Let’s not forget how garbage Kidd was against Indiana too.

0.0 PPG 1.7 APG on 0/0/0 splits. Shot 0-8 that series.

I don’t know, to me it looks like Randle has much better guard play, even with Payton. I guess we will see how our guards look in the playoffs for a better comparison.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#860 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:41 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:It’s also arguable that Melo had a much weaker supporting cast that season.

I think it's close tbh.

Felton played like Payton against Indiana though...

11 PPG 4 APG on 37/33/63 splits

Let’s not forget how garbage Kidd was against Indiana too.

0.0 PPG 1.7 APG on 0/0/0 splits. Shot 0-8 that series.

I don’t know, to me it looks like Randle has much better guard play, even with Payton. I guess we will see how our guards look in the playoffs for a better comparison.

No I know, but they weren't this LeFraudy during the regular season.

As you said (barring any disaster where we miss the playoffs), we'll see how they perform in the postseason. I'm not worried at all about Rose, and I'll live with Quickley's struggles if he does struggle against a defense that gameplans against him in a series. Burks is a good Felton candidate.

PS: That Indiana series was a nightmare :-?

Return to New York Knicks