ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 300: Pereira vs Hill, Zhang vs Xionan, BMF Gaethje vs Holloway

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,504

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 300: Pereira vs Hill, Zhang vs Xionan, BMF Gaethje vs Holloway 

Post#1241 » by j4remi » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:10 am

Max Holloway just had the coldest performance of the year. Picked apart Justin Gaethje for most of four rounds, then slept him in the final seconds of the fight.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,404

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 300: Pereira vs Hill, Zhang vs Xionan, BMF Gaethje vs Holloway 

Post#1242 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:16 am

Damn, that was crazy
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,965

Post#1243 » by matchman » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:21 am

j4remi wrote:Max Holloway just had the coldest performance of the year. Picked apart Justin Gaethje for most of four rounds, then slept him in the final seconds of the fight.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=c7eg_0vf10KosEyBJaEgQw

Feel so good to witness such a classic fight. :nod:
Are you fans of the team or the player?
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 Ngannou vs Anthony Joshua boxing, UFC 299 w/ O'Malley vs Vera 2 

Post#1244 » by matchman » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:25 am

j4remi wrote:We're finally on a good fight week. It's a BIG ONE. UFC 300 is stacked top to bottom, and EVERY fighter will be at the press conference later today. Look at this list of greatness (my picks are bolded)!

Main Card
Alex Pereira vs. Jamahal Hill TITLE FIGHT
Zhang Weili vs. Yan Xiaonan TITLE FIGHT
Justin Gaethje vs. Max Holloway BMF FIGHT
Charles Oliveira vs. Arman Tsarukyan
Bo Nickal vs. Cody Brundage

Prelim Card
Jiri Prochazka vs. Aleksandar Rakic
Aljamain Sterling vs. Calvin Kattar
Kayla Harrison vs. Holly Holm
Sodiq Yusuff vs. Diego Lopes
Jalin Turner vs. Renato Moicano
Jessica Andrade vs. Marina Rodriguez
Jim Miller vs. Bobby Green
Cody Garbrandt vs. Deiveson Figueiredo

That's 12 current or former champions. Even I don't have the patience to do write-ups on all the great fights here, but I'm hoping to actually record some fight discussion and predictions to put up on Youtube for this one. So, I'll get the link here when it's up.

For now my main thoughts are:
- The BMF fight is most likely FotN
- My biggest upset pick is Holly Holm over Kayla Harrison (weight drain concerns and footwork comparison in a big cage being my case)
- The most intriguing matchup is Oliveira vs Tsarukyan
- And I'd argue that the Prelim will probably be better than the main card because there are two clear mismatches on the main card, along with a fighter returning from an Achilles tear way too early for me to trust that he's the same.

Seems like you got the right guess of Fight of the Night.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1245 » by j4remi » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:49 am

matchman wrote:
j4remi wrote:Max Holloway just had the coldest performance of the year. Picked apart Justin Gaethje for most of four rounds, then slept him in the final seconds of the fight.

Read on Twitter

That's gonna be one of those moments that the UFC replays for the next decade. The fact that Max was so far ahead and still invited the risk is *chef's kiss*

Read on Twitter

Look at Topuria's face :lol:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,785

Post#1246 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:51 am

DAYUM!!!!!!!!!
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1247 » by j4remi » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:52 am

Weili Zhang wore herself out going for those submissions. This is a hell of a title fight.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1248 » by matchman » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:33 am

j4remi wrote:Weili Zhang wore herself out going for those submissions. This is a hell of a title fight.

One of my friend saying in a local UFC group before the match, " 'Two champs' is better than one champ from China point of view."
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1249 » by matchman » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:34 am

j4remi wrote:
matchman wrote:

Read on Twitter

That's gonna be one of those moments that the UFC replays for the next decade. The fact that Max was so far ahead and still invited the risk is *chef's kiss*

Read on Twitter

Look at Topuria's face :lol:

Either he is super confident or he is just a mad dog.
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,708

Post#1250 » by Buttah304 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:52 am

Is this AP run one of the best in UFC history? Sort of speechless as to what he’s done in less than 2 years.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1251 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:22 am

Buttah304 wrote:Is this AP run one of the best in UFC history? Sort of speechless as to what he’s done in less than 2 years.

That left jab/hook was so quick. But the camera angle caught Hill’s facial expression just before it connected. “Oh no!” :lol:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1252 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:23 am

j4remi wrote:Weili Zhang wore herself out going for those submissions. This is a hell of a title fight.

:nod:
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1253 » by j4remi » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:59 pm

Buttah304 wrote:Is this AP run one of the best in UFC history? Sort of speechless as to what he’s done in less than 2 years.

It's incredible in terms of how fast he's made a run to being a double-champ. But I think the KO loss to Izzy takes it down a notch from the all-time great runs. My favorite fighter success streaks are:

1. Jon Jones' run to LHW and first title-reign. This one included a bunch of former champs who were at the top of the sport.He beat, Griffin, Rampage, Rashad, Machida, Rua, Belfort, and DC all in a single run. That's 7 former champs with HoF credentials (and there were other opponents in between those fights).

2. Jose Aldo's 10-year undefeated run. This is more of a "you had to be there" one, but Jose Aldo dominated 145 lbs in a manner that I don't think any champion has owned their division before or after. He'd tie the longest title-defense streak if they counted his WEC title run from before the UFC had a FW division.

3. Anderson Silva has the second-longest title defense streak. Plus, similar to Aldo, he DOMINATED. During that streak, he also became pretty much the first fighter to bounce up and down divisions by beating up James Irvin and Forrest Griffin.

4. GSP's 9-fight win streak included a record for consecutive rounds won. He was defending the belt and opponents couldn't even win a single-round off him. Plus, he never failed a drug test which Silva and Jones did.

5. Conor McGregor beat Max Holloway, Dustin Poirier, and Chad Mendes. Ended the Jose Aldo 10-year run. Then became first double-champ by smoking another all-timer in Eddie Alvarez. Plus, I'd include getting to box Mayweather in this since that was another first for an mixed martial artist even though Conor lost.

6. Demetrius Johnson has the longest title-defense streak, but slips because the strength of opposition isn't as good as the rest.

7. Matt Hughes' title run was the first dominant champ run, and includes a bunch of the best fighters of his era including a win over young GSP, Royce Gracie, Sean Sherk, and BJ Penn who all held UFC gold.

Then I'd put Pereira around 8 with competition from Max Holloway's run-up to the FW belt and Stipe's run through all the best UFC HWs of all time. But MP's got a chance to stack his resume with even more wins to move up the list.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1254 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:23 pm

Those fighters had great runs.
Free Palestine
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,708

Post#1255 » by Buttah304 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 pm

Remi that was an amazing breakdown thank you :D
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#1256 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 pm

my take about Max at 155 aged like **** milk and i love it!!

Max is different, just different.
Never been a big gaethje guy, not that i hate him but im glad he got his face smashed in. hes a good dude, but i dont like wittman and i think hes a bad coach for gaethje, also they talk so much **** about Masvidal who im a big fan of. Justin might have the best wrestling credentials in the whole division or even ufc and he never even fakes a takedown, to keep his opponent honest. Gaethje is coached horribly and im so glad max did what he did.

also shoutout to my guy moicano! big fan
And charles got robbed, im dying on that hill :D
im bout dat action boss
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1257 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:my take about Max at 155 aged like **** milk and i love it!!

Never been a big gaethje guy, not that i hate him but im glad he got his face smashed in. hes a good dude, but i dont like wittman and i think hes a bad coach for gaethje, also they talk so much **** about Masvidal who im a big fan of. Justin might have the best wrestling credentials in the whole division or even ufc and he never even fakes a takedown, to keep his opponent honest. Gaethje is coached horribly and im so glad max did what he did.

I’ve never really seen Justin wrestle since he’s been in the UFC.
Free Palestine
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#1258 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:my take about Max at 155 aged like **** milk and i love it!!

I’ve never really seen Justin wrestle since he’s been in the UFC.

yea.. hes a div 1 all american wrestler, in the hof of his school, i think he had a very close match with burroughs, arguably the best american wrestler of all time, hes trainingpartner with kamaru for a long ass time aswell. Like, i get it.. you wanna have that whole "im the most violent guy here"-thing going for you. but damn.. show us some wrestling and ground and pound with those skills, theres nothing not violent about it.
im bout dat action boss
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1259 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:54 pm

I didn’t know that this was a thing.

Read on Twitter
Free Palestine
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,023

Post#1260 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am

Read on Twitter

Ryan Garcia is probably mentally ill but it's entertaining nonetheless
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to New York Knicks