ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 300: Pereira vs Hill, Zhang vs Xionan, BMF Gaethje vs Holloway

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,714

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 Ngannou vs Anthony Joshua boxing, UFC 299 w/ O'Malley vs Vera 2 

Post#1181 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:41 am

j4remi wrote:Anthony Joshua vs Francis Ngannou is about to go down...

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=c7eg_0vf10KosEyBJaEgQw

You buying it?
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,502

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 Ngannou vs Anthony Joshua boxing, UFC 299 w/ O'Malley vs Vera 2 

Post#1182 » by j4remi » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:46 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Read on Twitter

You buying it?

I'm glad I didn't. My bread was reserved for 299.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1183 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:30 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Read on Twitter

You buying it?

I'm glad I didn't. My bread was reserved for 299.

Yeah, me too! Phew.

So what's next for Ngannou? Has he now been exposed and does he go back to the PFL?
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1184 » by j4remi » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:07 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Yeah, me too! Phew.

So what's next for Ngannou? Has he now been exposed and does he go back to the PFL?

After a KO like that, he needs at LEAST 6 months and more likely a year on the shelf. But that's fine because the PFL can build up a HW challenger for Ngannou. Then Ngannou makes a big return to MMA, and the winner of that fight can be PFL's star. I have to guess that Francis is done getting P4P guys, and I'm not sure why he'd keep risking damage like that when he's never come close to getting hurt like that in MMA.

There's already a candidate. Renan Ferreira is an absolute giant. 6'8 with 11 KO's in 13 wins, and he just SMOKED Ryan Bader.

Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1185 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:06 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Yeah, me too! Phew.

After a KO like that, he needs at LEAST 6 months and more likely a year on the shelf. But that's fine because the PFL can build up a HW challenger for Ngannou. Then Ngannou makes a big return to MMA, and the winner of that fight can be PFL's star. I have to guess that Francis is done getting P4P guys, and I'm not sure why he'd keep risking damage like that when he's never come close to getting hurt like that in MMA.

There's already a candidate. Renan Ferreira is an absolute giant. 6'8 with 11 KO's in 13 wins, and he just SMOKED Ryan Bader.

I saw that fight. Brutal.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1186 » by j4remi » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:32 am

j4remi wrote:For me, I just keep thinking about the combos Saint-Denis threw at Thiago Moises along the cage...I think Poirier could counter the hell out of some of that. This is a huge step up in competition for someone whose toughest opponents were Moises and Frevola.

Those flurries got saint-denis clipped. Poirier’s the man!

Read on Twitter

It’s a night of comebacks. JDM was down 2-0 on two scorecards and KO’ed Burns with a minute to go. Almeida ragdolled Blaydes for a round, then got KO’ed in the second. Yan had to take the last two rounds against Song to win as well. Only MVP has won the first round and taken the fight on this main card.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,560

Post#1187 » by Guano » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 am

j4remi wrote:
j4remi wrote:For me, I just keep thinking about the combos Saint-Denis threw at Thiago Moises along the cage...I think Poirier could counter the hell out of some of that. This is a huge step up in competition for someone whose toughest opponents were Moises and Frevola.

Read on Twitter

It’s a night of comebacks. JDM was down 2-0 on two scorecards and KO’ed Burns with a minute to go. Almeida ragdolled Blaydes for a round, then got KO’ed in the second. Yan had to take the last two rounds against Song to win as well. Only MVP has won the first round and taken the fight on this main card.

Our BOI!
Read on Twitter
?s=19

A LEGEND. A WARRIOR.

NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR THE DIAMOND.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1188 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:47 am

Guano wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Read on Twitter

Our BOI!
Read on Twitter
?s=19

A LEGEND. A WARRIOR.

NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR THE DIAMOND.

Yup. St. Denis looked to me to be very big compared to Dustin (I wonder what weight he must walk around at) who was able withstand the early barrage and tire him out a bit.

Gotta love that quote about paying it back. I think that St. Denis could be very good if he can learn from his mistakes in this fight.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1189 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:43 am

Check out this recent clip of Mike. My conclusion? Smoke more weed and check out his speed! :lol:

Jake Paul is in for a world or trouble. The good news for him is that it'll be over very quickly.

Free Palestine
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,369

Post#1190 » by NoStatsGuy » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:15 am

god damn seans too good. ****! i was rooting for chito
im bout dat action boss
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1191 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:40 am

NoStatsGuy wrote:god damn seans too good. ****! i was rooting for chito

He couldn't close that distance. Sean kept him right where he wanted him.
Free Palestine
NoStatsGuy
Analyst

Post#1192 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:29 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:god damn seans too good. ****! i was rooting for chito

He couldn't close that distance. Sean kept him right where he wanted him.

Yea, you cant stay outside the pocket and hope to outtrade Sean, its not gonna happen. Hes probably the best or one of the best guys in the UFC at that. The fact chito always gives up the 1st round to download the opponent, doesnt help either.

if you let guys like sean get into his flow its gonna be rough. I just love Chitos story and really hope he can bounce back and get another run. He needs to improve his footwork to hang with the top guys.

i would love to see a max holloway fight sean. i dont like that max wants to move up all the time. hes long but hes not built like the 155ers and im affraid we gonna see that again at 300. Justin is gonna pummel him, like Porier did because they just phisically overwhelm him. max vs sean would be a hell of a fight. unfortunately they have no reason to fight right now. maybe eventually max beats ilia/ortega orwhoever gets the next shot at FW gold?
im bout dat action boss
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1193 » by j4remi » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:28 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Yea, you cant stay outside the pocket and hope to outtrade Sean, its not gonna happen. Hes probably the best or one of the best guys in the UFC at that. The fact chito always gives up the 1st round to download the opponent, doesnt help either.

if you let guys like sean get into his flow its gonna be rough. I just love Chitos story and really hope he can bounce back and get another run. He needs to improve his footwork to hang with the top guys.

i would love to see a max holloway fight sean. i dont like that max wants to move up all the time. hes long but hes not built like the 155ers and im affraid we gonna see that again at 300. Justin is gonna pummel him, like Porier did because they just phisically overwhelm him. max vs sean would be a hell of a fight. unfortunately they have no reason to fight right now. maybe eventually max beats ilia/ortega orwhoever gets the next shot at FW gold?

Yeah, Sean is kinda perfect for the fighter that Chito's become. Chito's always waiting to counter, and Sean's feints and timing are too damned good for that. The first fight, Sean gave Chito no respect, just wailing kicks against Vera's guard. This time, he was measured and it looked surgical. Chito should only take fights at the Apex center where there's no mobility, because like you said, his footwork isn't good enough.

I kinda disagree on Max. Max vs Diamond was a runner-up for fight of the year in a stacked field for 2019 (Gastelum vs Izzy, Zhang vs JJ, and Usman vs Colby were also that year). Most rounds were close, a majority thinking the last round was the deciding factor (not the judges to be fair). I do think Max should take a year off and really bulk up if he wants to stay a 155, and I hate when fighters try to bounce back and forth between weight classes. But I think Max could hold his own with most lightweight elites.

The other issue is 145 is a bit jammed up. Volk has dibs on a rematch; O'Malley is trying to get a superfight; Aljo joined the division; and Ilia's trying to get a payday for his next match. So, if there were a time to make a permanent move up, I think this is the moment.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

NoStatsGuy
Analyst

Post#1194 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:41 pm

j4remi wrote:
Yeah, Sean is kinda perfect for the fighter that Chito's become. Chito's always waiting to counter, and Sean's feints and timing are too damned good for that. The first fight, Sean gave Chito no respect, just wailing kicks against Vera's guard. This time, he was measured and it looked surgical. Chito should only take fights at the Apex center where there's no mobility, because like you said, his footwork isn't good enough.

I kinda disagree on Max. Max vs Diamond was a runner-up for fight of the year in a stacked field for 2019 (Gastelum vs Izzy, Zhang vs JJ, and Usman vs Colby were also that year). Most rounds were close, a majority thinking the last round was the deciding factor (not the judges to be fair). I do think Max should take a year off and really bulk up if he wants to stay a 155, and I hate when fighters try to bounce back and forth between weight classes. But I think Max could hold his own with most lightweight elites.

The other issue is 145 is a bit jammed up. Volk has dibs on a rematch; O'Malley is trying to get a superfight; Aljo joined the division; and Ilia's trying to get a payday for his next match. So, if there were a time to make a permanent move up, I think this is the moment.

Mhh yea possibly. I dont quite remember what happened round for round in that fight. i just know i did not like seeeing the impact of poriers strikes. And i also thought max caught up moslty because DP literally emptied the entire tank in the early rounds and could barely stay upright in 4 and 5. but yea as i said i wouldnt put my house on it :D

and i just dont like Maxs frame for the 155ers. but obviously you made some very valid and good points why it might be a good idea to make the move. i just dont see him succeeding in that division. May i need to first see it to believe it
im bout dat action boss
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1195 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:53 am

Is Haggerty coming to the UFC? What's up with his voice? Did he suffer an injury to his vocal cords?

I love the knee fake followed by the tomahawk elbow. Nasty.

Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1196 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:26 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Is Haggerty coming to the UFC? What's up with his voice? Did he suffer an injury to his vocal cords?

ONE's never letting Haggerty go. As long as they're churning out the best Muay Thai and Kickboxing match-ups in combat sports, they'll keep him and let him do special rules fights along the way (like Rodtang vs DJ was). He's a star!

And as always, I'll mention that Haggerty vs Rodtang 1 is one of the greatest fights of all time in all combat sports IMO. I love that fight.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1197 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:59 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Is Haggerty coming to the UFC? What's up with his voice? Did he suffer an injury to his vocal cords?

ONE's never letting Haggerty go. As long as they're churning out the best Muay Thai and Kickboxing match-ups in combat sports, they'll keep him and let him do special rules fights along the way (like Rodtang vs DJ was). He's a star!

And as always, I'll mention that Haggerty vs Rodtang 1 is one of the greatest fights of all time in all combat sports IMO. I love that fight.

I watched parts of each fight. They’re both insanely off the charts great.

But isn’t there a point where he may want explore new challenges and more money? Do you think that ONE would let him compete for a PFL championship?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1198 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:23 pm

The card tonight looks boring AF.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1199 » by j4remi » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:58 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I watched parts of each fight. They’re both insanely off the charts great.

But isn’t there a point where he may want explore new challenges and more money? Do you think that ONE would let him compete for a PFL championship?

Eventually, he might. But the UFC doesn't seem willing to beat organizations for anyone but the biggest stars and sure-things. It still blows my mind that they weren't willing to pay Ngannou. I think ONE would make sure Haggerty is happy.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1200 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:42 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I watched parts of each fight. They’re both insanely off the charts great.

Eventually, he might. But the UFC doesn't seem willing to beat organizations for anyone but the biggest stars and sure-things. It still blows my mind that they weren't willing to pay Ngannou. I think ONE would make sure Haggerty is happy.

You didn't even mention the card tonight. :lol:
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks