ImageImageImageImageImage

Jalen Brunson thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Are you excited to have a point guard finally

Yes
85%
No
8%
Still recovering from the donovan mitchell fiasco
7%

Total votes: 89

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,522

Re: Jalen Brunson thread 

Post#121 » by robillionaire » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:52 pm

I’m just thrilled after all these years of having the worst pg in the NBA we finally have a PG in the 15-20 range of starting PGs. We have finally improved from terrible to mid. Should win at least a few extra games
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,454

Post#122 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:36 am

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,502

Post#123 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:40 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:https://nypost.com/2022/09/12/nba-exec-lauds-knicks-jalen-brunson-move-bright-future/

Excellent article

Should be read by every joker here who wanted to gut our assets for DM

This guy nailed it
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#124 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:42 pm

Guano wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Guano wrote:
:lol:
Fcked up thing is that's what you probably think I look like watching Randle pass up open 3s to brick long contested 2s and RJ getting stuffed at the rim when F0urni3r is open for a 3.

Thus ended the triple alliance between Meloreotania, Guanorheaa and Jimmitsville

:lol:
Knew I should have went with knicksfan3939417384901939301829

Batchit Crazy works
ImageImageImage
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#125 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:38 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:https://nypost.com/2022/09/12/nba-exec-lauds-knicks-jalen-brunson-move-bright-future/

Excellent article

This guy nailed it

It's a shame they didn't get DMitch. The team needs that kind of player. But not at the asking price Ainge wanted, and that's after acknowledging it was going to cost. But Ainge wanted too much.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#126 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:03 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Excellent article

This guy nailed it

It's a shame they didn't get DMitch. The team needs that kind of player. But not at the asking price Ainge wanted, and that's after acknowledging it was going to cost. But Ainge wanted too much.

Yeah, but our youth assets are growing in value pretty rapidly. Our ability to trade for the next guy using less of our core will become more likely. And by then we’ll have honed in on exactly which guys on our roster to stay committed to for the next four years. I think this is the perfect pivot season to sit tight and then make a big move either by mid-season or next off-season. DM was NOT the right fit next to Brunson anyway. Not saying he would not help, but TBH I feel Brunson actually provides almost everything DM does with better playmaking. Thus, I’m happy to use our youth and depth in the backcourt to complement him instead of trying to feed DM, RJ and Randle simultaneously. This is a better fit for the interim and the results will (IMO) exceed most of the sour heads’ expectations.
ImageImageImage
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,328

Post#127 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:10 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Excellent article

This guy nailed it

Yeah, but our youth assets are growing in value pretty rapidly. Our ability to trade for the next guy using less of our core will become more likely. And by then we’ll have honed in on exactly which guys on our roster to stay committed to for the next four years. I think this is the perfect pivot season to sit tight and then make a big move either by mid-season or next off-season. DM was NOT the right fit next to Brunson anyway. Not saying he would not help, but TBH I feel Brunson actually provides almost everything DM does with better playmaking. Thus, I’m happy to use our youth and depth in the backcourt to complement him instead of trying to feed DM, RJ and Randle simultaneously. This is a better fit for the interim and the results will (IMO) exceed most of the sour heads’ expectations.

I'm hoping our youth will grow rapidly, but it's not a given. The Knicks are going to have to make hard decisions. For example, I wasn't a fan of the Cam deal then, I wish they had moved him to get rid of Kemba and Noel at the deadline, and I'm not sure if the Knicks have it in them to get Cam into a productive place now.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#128 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:17 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I'm hoping our youth will grow rapidly, but it's not a given. The Knicks are going to have to make hard decisions. For example, I wasn't a fan of the Cam deal then, I wish they had moved him to get rid of Kemba and Noel at the deadline, and I'm not sure if the Knicks have it in them to get Cam into a productive place now.

I think it is a given that one or more of Obi, Grimes, IQ and RJ will break out and become significantly more valuable to either us or a trade partner. Odds are you'll have that breakout year from one or more of them and the majority of our young players will simply get better and solidify their future in the NBA.

The Cam deal was a perfect example of the FO no longer being in alignment with the head coach. You can't make those moves without a consensus the acquired player is going to receive playing time. Missed opportunity so far, at the very least in terms of evaluating whether Cam has the motor and will to produce consistently. I like Cam's "potential" but it is useless to us if we don't put him to the test.
ImageImageImage
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,524

Post#129 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:20 pm

Opening: "NBA exec praises Knicks’ Jalen Brunson signing, potential bright future"

Closing: “They’re a play-in team — which is better than a year ago.’’

I can't.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#130 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:06 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

Opening: "NBA exec praises Knicks’ Jalen Brunson signing, potential bright future"

I can't.

It's the truth. They got better. Which isn't a good team, because they sucked last yeat.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#131 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:31 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

I can't.

It's the truth. They got better. Which isn't a good team, because they sucked last year and we'll have to see if they became a good team this year
ImageImageImage
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,574

Post#132 » by RHODEY » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:35 pm

robillionaire wrote:I’m just thrilled after all these years of having the worst pg in the NBA we finally have a PG in the 15-20 range of starting PGs. We have finally improved from terrible to mid. Should win at least a few extra games

After that playoff performance I'd put him in the 10-15 range.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,574

Post#133 » by RHODEY » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:38 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

I can't.

When you look at the extreme depth of the East ..Play- in would still be an accomplishment.

I can.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#134 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Good article he covered a lot of points.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#135 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:55 pm

A personnel director would give Knicks good points .
Their cornering of the market
Ie brunson
Has huge effects on the league.
When the the FA is thin and you get the top FA ,you really limited others team chances of getting better.

So I think an accurate assessment from that guy.
But ya see , in the first couple paragraphs you see the Knicks misstep .
It says
‘ Brunson or bust ‘

Guess what’s gonna happen ?
Instead of capitalizing on a position of power, they finish the off-season by not improving any more starting positions .

Agree on his DM take too about walking away and not getting raked over coals.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,150

Post#136 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:09 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Excellent article

This guy nailed it

Or they won't is the problem.

And you can actually trade anyone on this team once they are on this team. I know that folks know that but I get the notion that sometimes fans sometimes forget that and think that if they trade a big bundle for a player like Mitchell they'll have nothing to trade if things don't work out. They do. Donovan Mitchell would be the biggest trade asset the Knicks have had since a young Patrick Ewing. Jalen Brunson would also be a potent asset if a change is needed assuming he continues down the path he set last season (and it's a lot more likely he will then any unproven young player). RJ Barrett also would be an asset if he continues down his path as a player that, despite his flaws, has shown he's an NBA level impact talent. Mitchell Robinson also is a proven guy. Isaiah Hartenstein is also extremely desirable. IF Randle can, by the addition of guys that can do what he shouldn't have had to be responsible for doing, also return to what made him MIP, then he's also now an asset.

Honestly, for folks that lamented the Carmelo Anthony trade. The Knicks ended up with a bigger trade asset when the completed the deal than they gave up and that's even with Dolan pushing the FO to give up even more than necessary. The fact that the string of incompetent front offices the Knicks have had didn't know what to do with it doesn't defeat that.

Obviously you don't want to overpay and what Ainge wanted from the Knicks was excessive but Leon Rose and team should be on the phone right now looking at other teams with similar type players to Mitchell to see if they can make a deal. The Knicks core is built for the next 4 years. That is the contract window and other than Barrett the age window. Adding a proven top tier impact player is what they still very much need even if Mitchell just wasn't meant to be.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#137 » by Jimmit79 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:19 pm

robillionaire wrote:I’m just thrilled after all these years of having the worst pg in the NBA we finally have a PG in the 15-20 range of starting PGs. We have finally improved from terrible to mid. Should win at least a few extra games
But ppl will blame brunson for RJs continued horrible efficiency lol.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#138 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:58 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Or they won't is the problem.

And you can actually trade anyone on this team once they are on this team. I know that folks know that but I get the notion that sometimes fans sometimes forget that and think that if they trade a big bundle for a player like Mitchell they'll have nothing to trade if things don't work out. They do. Donovan Mitchell would be the biggest trade asset the Knicks have had since a young Patrick Ewing. Jalen Brunson would also be a potent asset if a change is needed assuming he continues down the path he set last season (and it's a lot more likely he will then any unproven young player). RJ Barrett also would be an asset if he continues down his path as a player that, despite his flaws, has shown he's an NBA level impact talent. Mitchell Robinson also is a proven guy. Isaiah Hartenstein is also extremely desirable. IF Randle can, by the addition of guys that can do what he shouldn't have had to be responsible for doing, also return to what made him MIP, then he's also now an asset.

Honestly, for folks that lamented the Carmelo Anthony trade. The Knicks ended up with a bigger trade asset when the completed the deal than they gave up and that's even with Dolan pushing the FO to give up even more than necessary. The fact that the string of incompetent front offices the Knicks have had didn't know what to do with it doesn't defeat that.

Obviously you don't want to overpay and what Ainge wanted from the Knicks was excessive but Leon Rose and team should be on the phone right now looking at other teams with similar type players to Mitchell to see if they can make a deal. The Knicks core is built for the next 4 years. That is the contract window and other than Barrett the age window. Adding a proven top tier impact player is what they still very much need even if Mitchell just wasn't meant to be.

I get the gist of what you’re saying, but whether you are leveling up the pedigree of the players or not you still have to manage your assets.

Yes we do have a core forming that stars can be added to, but IMO we are about a season away from that pivot point. I like how we are positioned now. I’d also like for us to keep drafting instead of sending out all of our picks. I think our options will be strong enough to both draft and trade up without leaving the cupboard bare. The DM trade was definitely the one to NOT make in terms of asset cost. We’ll find guys other than Ainge to do business with
ImageImageImage
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,167

Post#139 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:11 pm

Here’s how I view the Brunson pickup:

Id much rather have signed him like we did while only having to give up some 2nd rounders along with mediocre vets like Burks, Noel, and Kemba over trading what it would have taken to get Mitchell.

If what we saw in the playoffs was any indication, then Jalen isnt much worse, if at all, than Mitchell. And no I didn’t want them here together. It was one or the other to me, and Jalen represents a more calculated gamble for where we are as a team. We keep all our young guys/1st rounders, and for all we know Jalen could make 1-2 All Star teams himself.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,975

Post#140 » by F N 11 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:38 pm

Having Brunson is better than not having him. Bashing this move is stupid.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.

Return to New York Knicks