ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,344

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1661 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:34 pm

j4remi wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:I feel like you can see a lot of DBZ influence in Invincible S2, especially when the superpowers fight

I could definitely see that vibe from the Viltrumite fights. It felt like one of the scenes was paying homage to this moment:

My only complaint about Invincible S2 is that the stopping points felt really random. There's no sense of closure to anything at the midseason-finale and I thought the season finale felt the same way. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since I bet a the comic has a gang of new readers. But I was a little frustrated when I realized certain characters were left in the situations they found themselves in.

Yep, I saw that. The double axe handle!

I guess if we could really sum up the season,
Spoiler:
it was mostly Mark and his family wrestling with the aftereffects of S1, and Mark figuring out that he has to pick between superhero and normal life. Not too much progression with this whole Viltrumite thing. There are some side stories with other characters but mostly that. Also, the last fight of S2E8 was not really that memorable. It's just significant cause Mark kills the dude.

Still, I enjoyed it. I think the Maulers, Allen and Donald are fun characters, too, as far as side characters go...they should feature them more haha.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,514

Post#1662 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:07 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
j4remi wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:I feel like you can see a lot of DBZ influence in Invincible S2, especially when the superpowers fight

I could definitely see that vibe from the Viltrumite fights. It felt like one of the scenes was paying homage to this moment:

My only complaint about Invincible S2 is that the stopping points felt really random. There's no sense of closure to anything at the midseason-finale and I thought the season finale felt the same way. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since I bet a the comic has a gang of new readers. But I was a little frustrated when I realized certain characters were left in the situations they found themselves in.

Yep, I saw that. The double axe handle!

I guess if we could really sum up the season,
Spoiler:
it was mostly Mark and his family wrestling with the aftereffects of S1, and Mark figuring out that he has to pick between superhero and normal life. Not too much progression with this whole Viltrumite thing. There are some side stories with other characters but mostly that. Also, the last fight of S2E8 [spoiler]was not really that memorable. It's just significant cause Mark kills the dude.

Still, I enjoyed it. I think the Maulers, Allen and Donald are fun characters, too, as far as side characters go.

Yeah, they got the DBZ attacks but with characters suffering real trauma after.

Spoiler:
I liked the idea of making the superheroes truly deal their actions, rather than just move along to the next big storyline. None of them just got over their trauma or mistakes. Even Rex had his funny way of getting over the whole gun to the head situation.

I kinda love Mark fighting so hard not to be like his dead. In a funny way, it reminds me of the Superman movie where he committed murder and everyone flipped out...but in this case, it was done in a manner where anyone could empathize to an extent. I didn't have Donald stealing the "most compelling narrative of the season"' prize on my bingo card.

I'm just mad it ended with everyone on the brink of a major turning point. The storytelling and plot movement is just too damned good. I don't want to wait a year for a new season. The deconstruction of superhero tropes here is as good or better than Watchmen imo aka holy grail for most comic heads that schooled me to the game.

I need to look up if the Invincible comics had spinoffs. Could you imagine an Allen spinoff? Because I can :lol: He's like a goofy Nova Corps member.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,196

Post#1663 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:06 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Chainsaw Man Chapter 162

Spoiler:
"We didn't hear a thing."

The surgeon is my guy :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:

Dude is an all timer. Every panel he's in is flawless :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1664 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:09 pm

j4remi wrote:Kobeni's bro the MVP of the Quanxi fight :lol:

Surgeon guy is hilarious for sure.

If they do a new popularity poll I bet Surgeon guy takes a top 10 spot :lol: he'll easily replace Kobeni's car in the rankings

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1665 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:25 pm

I have to sit down and give it a good objective read, but here is chapter 1 of Centuria by Tohru Kuramori, who is apart of the legendary Chainsaw Man artist crew.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1021081

The art looks really good and I get Vinland Saga vibes from it, which is an automatic read for me.

It's crazy how talented these dudes are to the point where the most successful one (Fujimoto...so far) isn't even technically the best artist!

This is like the manga version of the Popovich coaching tree.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1666 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I have to sit down and give it a good objective read, but here is chapter 1 of Centuria by Tohru Kuramori, who is apart of the legendary Chainsaw Man artist crew.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1021081

The art looks really good and I get Vinland Saga vibes from it, which is an automatic read for me.

It's crazy how talented these dudes are to the point where the most successful one (Fujimoto...so far) isn't even technically the best artist!

This is like the manga version of the Popovich coaching tree.

This wasn't a bad read. I had no idea where the story was going at first outside of some obvious death flags but the way the chapter finished, I'm interested to see where the author takes the protagonist(s) next.

Jump has got some nice talent on board. When Oda decides to finish OP I think the magazine is in good hands for the next several years.

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1667 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:01 am

Read on Twitter

Any of yall ever read Beelzebub? It was so ridiculous, but a lot of fun. Beelzebub and Hitman Reborn are a couple of standouts I remember from the era when Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach were carrying Shonen Jump. They were a pair of underrated gems.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1668 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:52 am

j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Any of yall ever read Beelzebub? It was so ridiculous, but a lot of fun. Beelzebub and Hitman Reborn are a couple of standouts I remember from the era when Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach were carrying Shonen Jump. They were a pair of underrated gems.

Beelzebub was FUNNY as hell. Loved every chapter and how chaotic it was.

I never got into Hitman Reborn, but I remember that period fondly. Psyren came out around that time as well as Bakuman and Kuroko's Basketball. Some good reads every week, Naruto was also at its apex at that time with the Pain Invasion of Konoha Arc.

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1669 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:16 pm

Heard Fallout is pretty good. Never played the game but I'll check out the series. Amazon seems pretty confident about it...they've been upping the release dates, and it sounds like they renewed for S2 already.

Pretty surprising...I feel like other companies, like Netflix, are so analytical they wouldn't make a decision like this until viewer numbers come in
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1670 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:09 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Heard Fallout is pretty good. Never played the game but I'll check out the series. Amazon seems pretty confident about it...they've been upping the release dates, and it sounds like they renewed for S2 already.

Pretty surprising...I feel like other companies, like Netflix, are so analytical they wouldn't make a decision like this until viewer numbers come in

They probably are seeing positive feed back from internal screenings.

Also, Netflix sucks.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1671 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:19 am

Gear 5 is amazing. Never seen anything like it.

It's like Oda took the Shonen power up trope and said "let's make it Looney Tunes".

Also, if I was a rapper my name would be Rob Lucci

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1672 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:40 pm

X-Men '97 spoilers!!!!

Spoiler:

Holy sh***********t!!!!!!!

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1673 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:07 pm

Dandadan chapter 147...it makes no sense that a weekly manga can have artwork this good. Also, every new arc makes me think, "Is this the best arc so far?" and I genuinely struggle to pick a favorite (though the massive invasion arc last time probably wins).
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,364

Post#1674 » by DOT » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Gear 5 is amazing. Never seen anything like it.

It's like Oda took the Shonen power up trope and said "let's make it Looney Tunes".

Yeah, I like how they make him look straight up unhinged at times :lol:

They really should switch to a seasonal release or something though, especially with how much gear 5 we're gonna see in this arc. From what I gather though, the gear 5 episodes are made well in advance, while the regular episodes are made the same as always which is to say right up to the moment of release which just has never been a sustainable model.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1675 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:10 pm

DOT wrote:

They really should switch to a seasonal release or something though, especially with how much gear 5 we're gonna see in this arc. From what I gather though, the gear 5 episodes are made well in advance, while the regular episodes are made the same as always which is to say right up to the moment of release which just has never been a sustainable model.

I don't understand why Toei is hanging on to their outdated production model. Yeah, it's great that they allow for the major episodes to be given more time to work, but the idea of non stop weekly episodes is just asinine.

Like, people are conditioned now for seasonal releases, it's not 1995 any more.

The footage from DragonBall Daima looks movie quality and they've been working on it for 2 years now. Why can't they do that with One Piece?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1676 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:12 pm

j4remi wrote:Dandadan chapter 147...it makes no sense that a weekly manga can have artwork this good. Also, every new arc makes me think, "Is this the best arc so far?" and I genuinely struggle to pick a favorite (though the massive invasion arc last time probably wins).

The arc where Vamola becomes apart of the party is my favorite I think. Her mecha kaiju was awesome and she's just a sweetheart of a character.

But yeah. When this arc is over I dunno what Granny is gonna do because you know that entire delinquent crew is coming over to eat :lol:

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1677 » by DOT » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:12 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:

I don't understand why Toei is hanging on to their outdated production model. Yeah, it's great that they allow for the major episodes to be given more time to work, but the idea of non stop weekly episodes is just asinine.

Like, people are conditioned now for seasonal releases, it's not 1995 any more.

The footage from DragonBall Daima looks movie quality and they've been working on it for 2 years now. Why can't they do that with One Piece?

Spoiler:
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1678 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:08 am

Gotta bring this thread back. What are people watching? I feel like One Piece is ramping up, just from the headlines I'm reading, but I'm resisting picking it up until it's bingeable. I'll probably watch Shogun soon.

Watching Three Body Problem now...it does a good job with the trauma of the Cultural Revolution. It shows a bit of how crazy effin Mao was, and the trauma an entire generation of Chinese people carry. What Mao was able to get the teenagers to do...Apparently, a lot of Chinese internet users were pissed about how the show portrayed China.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1679 » by DOT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:59 pm

How I've been waiting for the One Piece scans after a month long break

BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1680 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:50 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Gotta bring this thread back. What are people watching? I feel like One Piece is ramping up, just from the headlines I'm reading, but I'm resisting picking it up until it's bingeable. I'll probably watch Shogun soon.

Watching Three Body Problem now...it does a good job with the trauma of the Cultural Revolution. It shows a bit of how crazy effin Mao was, and the trauma an entire generation of Chinese people carry. What Mao was able to get the teenagers to do...Apparently, a lot of Chinese internet users were pissed about how the show portrayed China.

I'm kinda letting the new anime season load up backlogs, so I can binge shows to at least their halfway points. X-Men '97 just hit us with its best episode yet, so I'm excited to see how that keeps stacking.

I'm halfway through Fallout, and I genuinely love it. I think it really captures the world for both its lighter bits AND the darker side of things. The action is fun, and the plot has a healthy mix of world-building and intrigue. It's really good for popcorn purposes.

And my new binge series is Fargo. I always heard good things and gave it a start...I damn near can't go a day without watching an episode or two now.

Other than that, my watchlist has been heavy on horror movies because there was no great horror for the first two and a half months of this year. A couple of decent straight-to-VOD flicks dropped, but we got the worst of Blumhouse cash grabs to start this year. Nightswim was about a haunted swimming pool! But now we have four promising titles that dropped in the past couple of weeks for horror heads: Abigail, Late Night with the Devil, Immaculate, and The First Omen.

So, I'm watching horror movies and playoff sports all weekend...and Fargo...it's really good.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks