ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,568

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1701 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:On Shogun episode 2...the show is really good. Pacing is excellent, characters are fleshed out, and I get drawn into the conflict and setting easily.

Are we going to be stuck with the Game of Thrones style opening for every top tier show from now on?

It really does do a great job of creating complete characters and fitting them into such an interesting world. Episode 3 is my favorite of the season (though it stays great all the way up to the present).

I'm praying for the Netlix 5-second opener format to take off :lol: ...never such luck.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,371

Post#1702 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:On Shogun episode 2...the show is really good. Pacing is excellent, characters are fleshed out, and I get drawn into the conflict and setting easily.

Are we going to be stuck with the Game of Thrones style opening for every top tier show from now on?

Yep.

Unless you want top tier shows to switch to anime style openings?

BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1703 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 pm

Speaking of intros, my favorite thing for X-Men '97 is how they keep changing the intro from week to week like how some anime series will add or change scenes in their intro based on where the story is at (Naruto was the first series that I remember doing this):

I'm all in on Marvel Animation they need to do more shows

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,413

Post#1704 » by DOT » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:07 am

I’m just reading JJK like it’s a last gen Shonen, cause it really is just pulling out the same tropes you see in older late stage Shonen

Spoiler:
It is cool to see Yuji finally fire Chekhov’s CT and start using cleave/dismantle, and it’s not bad it’s just kinda underwhelming at this point. MC gets a ridiculous power up to beat the final boss who stomped everyone else is classic but I just expected more from JJK

I will say, if the final clash is Sukuna using malevolent shrine and Yuji counters with benevolent shrine, that might instantly be iconic

Really at this point all I need to know is if Kenny took over Kaori before or after Yuji’s conception, cause my headcanon is it was before because he’s just that committed to the bit but I want to know for sure.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,531

Post#1705 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:47 am

MrDollarBills wrote:

Yep.

As long as I get awesome animations and/or great music. I always thought the DareDevil opening was really good.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1706 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:02 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yep.

As long as I get awesome animations and/or great music. I always thought the DareDevil opening was really good.

Hell yeah loved that intro. Captured everything about DareDevil from the streets to his Irish Catholic faith. I'm not a religious person at all but I always found that part of the character to be fascinating.

Luke Cage's intro was absolutely fire too:

^the old 70s style music that calls back to the character's blaxplotation roots + True Detective style visuals using Harlem as a backdrop? I didn't skip the intro. Ever :lol:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1707 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:44 pm

DOT wrote:I’m just reading JJK like it’s a last gen Shonen, cause it really is just pulling out the same tropes you see in older late stage Shonen

Spoiler:
It is cool to see Yuji finally fire Chekhov’s CT and start using cleave/dismantle, and it’s not bad it’s just kinda underwhelming at this point. MC gets a ridiculous power up to beat the final boss who stomped everyone else is classic but I just expected more from JJK

I will say, if the final clash is Sukuna using malevolent shrine and Yuji counters with benevolent shrine, that might instantly be iconic

Really at this point all I need to know is if Kenny took over Kaori before or after Yuji’s conception, cause my headcanon is it was before because he’s just that committed to the bit but I want to know for sure.

Spoiler:
So Gojo wasn't just talking out of his ass in Season 1 when he said Yuji would eventually be able to use Sukuna's cursed technique. But to your point, it's underwhelming compared to Sukuna's devastating cleave and dismantle attacks (he took half of Yuji's face ffs). I did however like how Yuji's version of the attack is akin to a scissor carefully cutting a sheet of paper. That was cool.

And here's the issue I have with how this is unfolding: what was Kenjaku's purpose for creating Yuji? To reincarnate Sukuna or something else? He died with so much left unexplained.

I fully think that Yuji's mother was a cursed sorceress who fell in combat to Kenjaku. Whether or not that was before conception remains to be seen. At this point I consider "Kenjaku" to be something beyond gender so the whole issue of him and Yuji's dad conceiving a child seems moot at this point. He was body hopping for centuries, i don't know if it's even clear what his original gender was.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1708 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:50 pm

Kagurabachi Volume 2 cover

Read on Twitter

Cinema.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1709 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:58 pm

Kagurabachi

Spoiler:
Having one of the final bosses being hidden among the cannon fodder is a sick twist. What a cliffhanger

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1710 » by DOT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:07 pm

One Piece:

Spoiler:
That room Mars is in 100% has a giant Vegapunk brain in a vat

We're down to 1 minute left before the broadcast goes out, my theory is that there's a 2nd snail on the grassy knoll, that either
Vegapunk gave the real snail to the Revolutionaries and left this one as a decoy or he has a backup with them which'll take over once the one at Egghead cuts out. Alternatively, a fun theory is the real snail is on Punk Hazard which would also make some sense, but I think it makes more sense to tie the events back to the Revolutionaries and help explain Shaka's call to Dragon at the start of the arc

Another theory I saw is that York has been in on it the whole time and is leading the Gorosei astray, this one I'm not sure I buy, as the only reason they were suspicious of them in the first place is cause York called to rat on them, however it could be a 5d chess move by Vegapunk, that he was ready at the time and just forced the issue rather than waiting and possibly having something unexpected happen which would mess with his plans

I thought we had another break this week, but I'm glad we don't. I did find a site which tracks break weeks for One Piece, and I think it's a good amount now, like outside of mandatory break weeks, he took 1 week off in the first 5 years (after chapter 171), but he averages more than 1 break week a month now, like the last time he wrote 4 consecutive weeks was May-June of 2022, so nearly 2 years, so good for him. Man deserves to be able to finish the story and retire.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1711 » by DOT » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 pm

CSM 163:

Spoiler:
:rofl: "I returned both your balls to where they belong so I could ring the gong of revenge with my own foot" :rofl:

No but seriously, Denji lost his home, his cats, his little sister, then was repeatedly dissected and the first thing that happens when he wakes up is he gets kicked in the balls. Twice. :lol:

CSM is really just a comedy at its heart.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1712 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 pm

DOT wrote:CSM 163:

Spoiler:
:rofl: "I returned both your balls to where they belong so I could ring the gong of revenge with my own foot" :rofl:

No but seriously, Denji lost his home, his cats, his little sister, then was repeatedly dissected and the first thing that happens when he wakes up is he gets kicked in the balls. Twice. :lol:

CSM is really just a comedy at its heart.

As soon as I saw the title of the chapter I sighed and shook my head. :lol: I knew it.

At least he was kind enough to be concerned about his girlfriend's arm as soon as he woke up.

Spoiler:
Yoru is really mean.

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1713 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:59 pm

On Shogun episode 8. This show is wonderful.

Spoiler:
Seriously though...why Mariko hate Buntaro like that? I mean he's not the nicest guy but I feel like the hate is overwhelming

Some of the best parts of the show are the cross-cultural interactions...both serious and humorous points.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1714 » by DOT » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:49 pm

I started getting back into reading recently, with Babel, or the Necessity of Violence by R.F. Kuang

I think she's one of my writers I'm gonna keep an eye on, cause I liked The Poppy War trilogy but felt it wasn't as good as it could've been, but then I just now found out she's 27 meaning she was 21, 22 when the first book was published so I give her a bit more leeway there

But I really like Babel so far even though I can tell there's a lot more to unravel in the narrative. Honestly, low key, I think it shares quite a bit with Name of the Wind in the sense the magic system is about language and the story centers around a young man in magic college who's not the same race as everyone else and faces discrimination for it, but I'm optimistic Babel will do it better

But like I said, still a ways to go to finish it, it could end up tripping at the finish line like I feel The Poppy War did.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1715 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:On Shogun episode 8. This show is wonderful.

Spoiler:
Seriously though...why Mariko hate Buntaro like that? I mean he's not the nicest guy but I feel like the hate is overwhelming

Some of the best parts of the show are the cross-cultural interactions...both serious and humorous points.

I just finished the season, and it's genuinely one of my favorite viewing experiences ever. I won't say anything extra, so as not to spoil it. I did end up feeling like "poor Buntaro" though :lol:

I'm gonna make time to watch the movie from the 80's. Idk how it'll hold up, but I enjoyed the series so much. Mariko's actress must be getting opportunities like crazy. She stole the show...Fuji was awesome too.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1716 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:44 pm

j4remi wrote:

Spoiler:

I just finished the season, and it's genuinely one of my favorite viewing experiences ever. I won't say anything extra, so as not to spoil it. I did end up feeling like "poor Buntaro" though :lol:

I'm gonna make time to watch the movie from the 80's. Idk how it'll hold up, but I enjoyed the series so much. Mariko's actress must be getting opportunities like crazy. She stole the show...Fuji was awesome too.

Yabushige is hilarious, too. He plays the role with the perfect role of incompetency, selfishness and sleaziness.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1717 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Spoiler:

Yabushige is hilarious, too. He plays the role with the perfect role of incompetency, selfishness and sleaziness.

He's great! I kind of love the character arc and how his constant work on his last will ended up making an appearance right to the end.

I hope it's success sparks more work on using Eastern history for inspired stories. Ghengis Khan's got an incredible story; the Romance of the Three Kingdoms seems like an obvious story to try and make a GoT-style sprawling story out of; and I think Vagabond could be adapted into something incredible whether it be anime or live-action...
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1718 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:13 pm

I gotta catch up on Shogun.

It's sad, I've wanted to play a Hunter X Hunter game for years but this looks like it was made for Playstation 2. Compared to DragonBall FighterZ and the new Budokai game that's on the way this is appalling

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1719 » by DOT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 pm

OP 1113:

Spoiler:
Weakling trio immediately throwing hands with Saturn to protect Robin is one of my favorite moments of this arc. Chopper being able to tank a hit from him and Brook slicing off one of his legs are legit impressive feats, it's not like Robin is weak or anything, but it's those moments where you really feel the loyalty of the crew, especially the ones that were there for Eneis Lobby

"No, that was Franky, I hear he turned himself into a ship now" :lol:

Kind of an interesting twist, I didn't see that coming, I wonder how that relates to the Gorosei/Imu and why they want to suppress it. I mean, we've known about the sea rising for a long time, biggest one would be the fact Aqua Laguna is getting worse every year but even back in Alabasta we had a graphic showing the sea pushing a river back (I didn't remember this one myself, I saw someone else mention it) I just didn't think that was gonna be the big secret

I'm a little disappointed it wasn't a floating brain in a jar, but giant head in a jar is cool too
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1720 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 am

I finished off Shogun...man, just a good series, wrapped up a 1000 page book well, without getting bogged down. I feel the book did a much better job with
Spoiler:
showing how Blackthorne assimilated into Japanese culture and making you feel the emotional pain when Mariko dies, but then again...1000 pages. There was a really weird shyt scene that I'm glad did not make it into the TV show lol
. Think the showrunners says there's no season 2. Book is done, show is done.

Now on Fallout...weird vibes haha. Goofy but dark material.

Return to New York Knicks