ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,761

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1721 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:41 pm

Chainsaw Man Chapter 164

Spoiler:
:lol: "WHAT A BITCH!"

Katana Man is GOATed after these last 3 chapters. Between "shove it up his ass!" and the ball stomping revenge dude has been on a roll

Also :cry: Denji. Gotta find Lil sis ASAP

Asa is a mess
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,569

Post#1722 » by DOT » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Chainsaw Man Chapter 164

Spoiler:
:lol: "WHAT A BITCH!"

Katana Man is GOATed after these last 3 chapters. Between "shove it up his ass!" and the ball stomping revenge dude has been on a roll

Also :cry: Denji. Gotta find Lil sis ASAP

Asa is a mess

They all hit that right amount of stupid where it's funny but not annoying :lol:

I love them playing off each other, I'd be down for another 100 chapters of this group just being morons at each other

Obviously only once
Spoiler:
they find Nayuta and she's safe
of course
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,638

Post#1723 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:19 pm

Spoiler:
Maybe the fact that Quanxi's girls were being used as hostages is a hint at Nayuta's fate. Yoshida's almost overdue to appear and be obnoxious. Or Kishibe...Kishibe's overdue too.

This group's hilarious, for sure. It's just too bad they didn't take the head surgeon along with em :lol:
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1724 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:32 pm

j4remi wrote:
Spoiler:
Maybe the fact that Quanxi's girls were being used as hostages is a hint at Nayuta's fate. Yoshida's almost overdue to appear and be obnoxious. Or Kishibe...Kishibe's overdue too.

This group's hilarious, for sure. It's just too bad they didn't take the head surgeon along with em :lol:

Head surgeon needs his own spin off and 2 cour anime :lol:

No doubt about it!!!

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1725 » by DOT » Wed May 1, 2024 10:33 pm

The Bad Batch just wrapped up, and it's just really good. Kinda a shame it's a more niche show that I don't think ever really had that mainstream hype, but it does what it does well

Only problem with it imo

Spoiler:
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,903

Post#1726 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu May 2, 2024 1:42 am

I'm watching Fallout right now. Pretty highly reviewed. I guess it has its own personality, with some humor, weirdness and the setting, but I don't feel it's as special as the reviews show.

Is it cause I've never played the Fallout games? Anyone with a strong opinion to explain what I'm missing?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1727 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 2, 2024 9:27 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:I'm watching Fallout right now. Pretty highly reviewed. I guess it has its own personality, with some humor, weirdness and the setting, but I don't feel it's as special as the reviews show.

Is it cause I've never played the Fallout games? Anyone with a strong opinion to explain what I'm missing?

I've never played them so I can't say. I started episode 1 but fell asleep.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1728 » by DOT » Thu May 2, 2024 2:04 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:I'm watching Fallout right now. Pretty highly reviewed. I guess it has its own personality, with some humor, weirdness and the setting, but I don't feel it's as special as the reviews show.

I've never played them so I can't say. I started episode 1 but fell asleep.

I think playing the games helps give context but isn't needed

Like, the Enclave is mentioned a few times and shown once but never expanded on what it actually is despite how it's a crucial part of the MacGuffin, but if you didn't know the lore and just watched the show you could get a rough idea of it

They don't really explain a lot, like ghouls just exist and need drugs and they were around before the bombs dropped, and while that's common knowledge for players, it might seem like a part of the worldbuilding that's just not explained if you don't know

I can't really talk about the interesting connections to New Vegas without spoiling a lot of stuff that happens in the final episode (stuff I thought was interesting as twists), but again you don't need to know it to get it, it's almost easter egg type of stuff

I think why people like it is because it's a good adaptation of the setting, it hits the right notes that every great Fallout game has, while also being its own unique story that can take place in the same universe as but isn't really dependent on the games. You'll get more out of it if you've played the games (especially 1, 2, and New Vegas), but I would say it's an enjoyable show regardless.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1729 » by j4remi » Thu May 2, 2024 7:57 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Spoiler:

No doubt about it!!!

That would be amazing. Sign me up for a hospital manga with Head surgeon and a bunch of devil-related maladies.

Sidenote: One good note on Nayuta, is that Asa/Yoru don't remember meeting her. Which hopefully means she's still alive, since her power is working.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1730 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 2, 2024 9:42 pm

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Spoiler:

No doubt about it!!!

That would be amazing. Sign me up for a hospital manga with Head surgeon and a bunch of devil-related maladies.

Sidenote: One good note on Nayuta, is that Asa/Yoru don't remember meeting her. Which hopefully means she's still alive, since her power is working.

With the way that Surgeon-kun was unfazed by any of that craziness, I am gonna assume that was not his first rodeo :lol:

I doubt she's dead.

I'm hoping we get a fake out and

Spoiler:
Meowy and Makima's dogs are still alive too

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1731 » by j4remi » Thu May 2, 2024 9:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

No doubt about it!!!

With the way that Surgeon-kun was unfazed by any of that craziness, I am gonna assume that was not his first rodeo :lol:

I doubt she's dead.

I'm hoping we get a fake out and

Spoiler:
Meowy and Makima's dogs are still alive too

Spoiler:
And Power's coming back...She's gonna bond with Asa over their love of cats.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,903

Post#1732 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon May 6, 2024 2:41 am

MHA and Demon Slayer this month! Let’s goooooo
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1733 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 6, 2024 12:54 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:MHA and Demon Slayer this month! Let’s goooooo

Demon Slayer is what I'm most curious about. This pretty much the penultimate season

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1734 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 7, 2024 9:10 pm

My cousins are currently in Japan, they looked all over Tokyo for Kagurabachi Volumes 1 and 2 for me and both are sold out :cry:

I guess I gotta wait. I wanted the original Japanese Volumes as collectors items because I know this series is going to dominate the globe when the anime airs.

They got me some cool DBZ swag tho

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1735 » by j4remi » Wed May 8, 2024 12:51 pm

One of the biggest manga heads I know gave a major cosign to a new Jump manga called Centuria. Said it's the best start to a Jump manga since Dandadan dropped (speaking of which, the artwork in Dandadan continues to be jaw-dropping)
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1736 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 8, 2024 1:20 pm

j4remi wrote:One of the biggest manga heads I know gave a major cosign to a new Jump manga called Centuria. Said it's the best start to a Jump manga since Dandadan dropped (speaking of which, the artwork in Dandadan continues to be jaw-dropping)

I made a post about Centuria's debut chapter a few pages back, it was really good. One of the best debuts I've seen since the Heian era.

The author is from the Chainsaw Man assistant artist tree. Anything by those dudes are a must read. For some reason they're all GOOD.

DanDaDan's last few chapters have been amazing.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1737 » by DOT » Wed May 8, 2024 1:25 pm

I've committed myself to another Mass Effect playthrough

It's funny, I must've played the original multiple times when it first came out and I remember getting 2 but not playing it, and never played 3, but I picked it up when the Legendary Edition came out and it kind of immediately became one of my favorite series

Ending aside, of course, but other than that, I genuinely just love it. I tried doing a full Renegade playthrough, and I got to the point in 3 where you have to stop the genophage cure from being sent out, and I had to put the game down after that. Mordin's one of my favorite characters, so killing him made me too sad to continue lol. But the scene before that, pushing him to admit he made a mistake has to be one of my favorite scenes in the series, cause it recontextualizes everything he says in 2 and 3 about the genophage modification being necessary as him trying to convince himself, not everyone else, cause he knows it was wrong. Whether or not he knows from the start or realizes it sometime after his ME2 loyalty mission is up in the air though.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1738 » by j4remi » Wed May 8, 2024 1:43 pm

DOT wrote:I've committed myself to another Mass Effect playthrough

It's funny, I must've played the original multiple times when it first came out and I remember getting 2 but not playing it, and never played 3, but I picked it up when the Legendary Edition came out and it kind of immediately became one of my favorite series

Ending aside, of course, but other than that, I genuinely just love it. I tried doing a full Renegade playthrough, and I got to the point in 3 where you have to stop the genophage cure from being sent out, and I had to put the game down after that. Mordin's one of my favorite characters, so killing him made me too sad to continue lol. But the scene before that, pushing him to admit he made a mistake has to be one of my favorite scenes in the series, cause it recontextualizes everything he says in 2 and 3 about the genophage modification being necessary as him trying to convince himself, not everyone else, cause he knows it was wrong. Whether or not he knows from the start or realizes it sometime after his ME2 loyalty mission is up in the air though.

This is exactly what happened with me. I don't know why I never picked up the sequels after having so much fun with the original. I have the trilogy in my collection backlog, and I definitely need to go back and try playing through the trilogy.

In this era of video game universes being optioned for tv series, Mass Effect seems like a perfect fit. Fallout capturing the vibes of the games perfectly has given me hope for future properties and Mass Effect is near the top of my list (Ghost of Tsushima over everything though).
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1739 » by DOT » Wed May 8, 2024 2:07 pm

j4remi wrote:
DOT wrote:I've committed myself to another Mass Effect playthrough

This is exactly what happened with me. I don't know why I never picked up the sequels after having so much fun with the original. I have the trilogy in my collection backlog, and I definitely need to go back and try playing through the trilogy.

In this era of video game universes being optioned for tv series, Mass Effect seems like a perfect fit. Fallout capturing the vibes of the games perfectly has given me hope for future properties and Mass Effect is near the top of my list (Ghost of Tsushima over everything though).

I dunno, I feel like it'd be kind of weird to have Mass Effect without Shepard, and retelling a videogame story in TV/movie format never works

Maybe you could do a prequel series, like on the first contact war, or if you have the budget, the Rachni war, the Morning war, or the Krogan rebellions (I say budget cause there's no humans in any of those lol)

Other than that, maybe a sequel series that's more about politics after the Reapers were defeated, but even then, I don't know if that'd feel Mass Effect enough to work.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1740 » by j4remi » Wed May 8, 2024 2:22 pm

DOT wrote:
j4remi wrote:This is exactly what happened with me. I don't know why I never picked up the sequels after having so much fun with the original. I have the trilogy in my collection backlog, and I definitely need to go back and try playing through the trilogy.

I dunno, I feel like it'd be kind of weird to have Mass Effect without Shepard, and retelling a videogame story in TV/movie format never works

Maybe you could do a prequel series, like on the first contact war, or if you have the budget, the Rachni war, the Morning war, or the Krogan rebellions (I say budget cause there's no humans in any of those lol)

Other than that, maybe a sequel series that's more about politics after the Reapers were defeated, but even then, I don't know if that'd feel Mass Effect enough to work.

That's more or less what I'm thinking about. The Fallout Series made their own story, but it works within the confines of the universe we've learned from the game. I think that's a better direction than trying to recreate most game plots because, the known plots can become restraints. Take the world that the games built, and tell a story using the factions, races, power systems, and political dynamics we've come to recognize. But give us new characters/stories.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked TLOU and I think Castlevania is genius. But my favorite game adaptations exist in the games' universes without being restricted to the plots from the games. Arcane, Cyberpunk, and now Fallout are the stories I'm thinking of. They feel like expansions and compliments rather than recreations of what we've played through.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks