ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,519

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1681 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:51 pm

DOT wrote:How I've been waiting for the One Piece scans after a month long break

Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,214

Post#1682 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 pm

j4remi wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Gotta bring this thread back. What are people watching? I feel like One Piece is ramping up, just from the headlines I'm reading, but I'm resisting picking it up until it's bingeable. I'll probably watch Shogun soon.

Watching Three Body Problem now...it does a good job with the trauma of the Cultural Revolution. It shows a bit of how crazy effin Mao was, and the trauma an entire generation of Chinese people carry. What Mao was able to get the teenagers to do...Apparently, a lot of Chinese internet users were pissed about how the show portrayed China.

I'm kinda letting the new anime season load up backlogs, so I can binge shows to at least their halfway points. X-Men '97 just hit us with its best episode yet, so I'm excited to see how that keeps stacking.

I'm halfway through Fallout, and I genuinely love it. I think it really captures the world for both its lighter bits AND the darker side of things. The action is fun, and the plot has a healthy mix of world-building and intrigue. It's really good for popcorn purposes.

And my new binge series is Fargo. I always heard good things and gave it a start...I damn near can't go a day without watching an episode or two now.

Other than that, my watchlist has been heavy on horror movies because there was no great horror for the first two and a half months of this year. A couple of decent straight-to-VOD flicks dropped, but we got the worst of Blumhouse cash grabs to start this year. Nightswim was about a haunted swimming pool! But now we have four promising titles that dropped in the past couple of weeks for horror heads: Abigail, Late Night with the Devil, Immaculate, and The First Omen.

So, I'm watching horror movies and playoff sports all weekend...and Fargo...it's really good.

I'm letting my backlog pile up. Frieren and Apothecary Diaries have satisfied me for the time being.

X-Men '97 has been absolutely fire. I still have to watch Fallout. I'm also catching up on Shogun.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1683 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

j4remi wrote:
DOT wrote:How I've been waiting for the One Piece scans after a month long break

I know that wait was painful :lol:

Kagurabachi was crazy good this week.

I just read this month's Boruto chapter. I teared up a bit, not gonna lie.

I'm quietly trying to avoid JJK spoilers. Last chapter actually entertained me.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,371

Post#1684 » by DOT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:59 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I just read this month's Boruto chapter. I teared up a bit, not gonna lie.

What a coincidence, I had to stop reading Boruto because it kept making me tear up.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1685 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:09 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I just read this month's Boruto chapter. I teared up a bit, not gonna lie.

What a coincidence, I had to stop reading Boruto because it kept making me tear up.

:lol:

I assume you saw the spoiler. That's what made me tear up because I thought he was gone for good.

Regarding the story itself? Eh...there's a lot of holes in this thing man. Like where are the adults? What made Naruto so cool is despite the fact that the genin ninjas were the focus, the adults still protected the kids and village. Itachi and Kisame enter Konoha, Kakashi was on their ass (and got his ass kicked), but I digress. Asuma, Mighty Guy, etc all showed up in times if need.

Flash forward many years later, we have Konoha being infiltrated multiple times and the adults are nowhere to be found outside of Shikamaru stress smoking in the Hokage's office. It makes no sense.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1686 » by DOT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Gotta bring this thread back. What are people watching? I feel like One Piece is ramping up, just from the headlines I'm reading, but I'm resisting picking it up until it's bingeable. I'll probably watch Shogun soon.

Watching Three Body Problem now...it does a good job with the trauma of the Cultural Revolution. It shows a bit of how crazy effin Mao was, and the trauma an entire generation of Chinese people carry. What Mao was able to get the teenagers to do...Apparently, a lot of Chinese internet users were pissed about how the show portrayed China.

I'm kinda letting the new anime season load up backlogs, so I can binge shows to at least their halfway points. X-Men '97 just hit us with its best episode yet, so I'm excited to see how that keeps stacking.

I'm halfway through Fallout, and I genuinely love it. I think it really captures the world for both its lighter bits AND the darker side of things. The action is fun, and the plot has a healthy mix of world-building and intrigue. It's really good for popcorn purposes.

And my new binge series is Fargo. I always heard good things and gave it a start...I damn near can't go a day without watching an episode or two now.

Other than that, my watchlist has been heavy on horror movies because there was no great horror for the first two and a half months of this year. A couple of decent straight-to-VOD flicks dropped, but we got the worst of Blumhouse cash grabs to start this year. Nightswim was about a haunted swimming pool! But now we have four promising titles that dropped in the past couple of weeks for horror heads: Abigail, Late Night with the Devil, Immaculate, and The First Omen.

So, I'm watching horror movies and playoff sports all weekend...and Fargo...it's really good.

I'm letting my backlog pile up. Frieren and Apothecary Diaries have satisfied me for the time being.

X-Men '97 has been absolutely fire. I still have to watch Fallout. I'm also catching up on Shogun.

I started in on Apothecary Diaries. I didn't realize how hilarious it was gonna be, that scene where Maomao is explaining sex to the concubines and the youngest one is silently having a stroke just slayed me :lol:

Once I'm done with that, I'm gonna go back and watch Spice and Wolf the original so I can watch the new one with full context, cause I feel like that's something I've heard about for so long I just need to watch it at this point.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1687 » by DOT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I assume you saw the spoiler. That's what made me tear up because I thought he was gone for good.

His death was stupid, but I'm of the opinion that except for select few stories, you should have death be final. Maybe once or twice, honestly that's a big part of why Naruto falls off is cause death is just no longer a real threat. Like, don't kill off Kakashi and half the villagers off screen only to bring them back right away with Rinne-bullsh*t jutsu. At least for Gaara he lost Shukaku and the old woman had to die for him to come back, or like, just let Guy die if he's not gonna do anything in the future. Pointlessly lowers the stakes

I think after having read it twice and watched the entire anime, I get why people like it. I want it to be good, there absolutely is a good story in there, it just doesn't follow through

Honestly, bringing Kurama back, especially in baby form, just screams to me that Boruto knows it's a manga for actual babies and they need to sell merch to justify its existence. I know all art needs to be profitable under a capitalist system, but you can't tell me that was a narrative decision and not a marketing decision.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,357

Post#1688 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I assume you saw the spoiler. That's what made me tear up because I thought he was gone for good.

Maybe once or twice, honestly that's a big part of why Naruto falls off is cause death is just no longer a real threat. Like, don't kill off Kakashi and half the villagers off screen only to bring them back right away with Rinne-bullsh*t jutsu.

Preach. It felt like such a cowardly move when this happened...I was actually gutted when Kakashi died, and then he brought him back. Just ruined everything.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1689 » by DOT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Preach. It felt like such a cowardly move when this happened...I was actually gutted when Kakashi died, and then he brought him back. Just ruined everything.

I'm not gonna say it ruins all stories, cause One Piece is notorious for "killing" characters only to bring them back right away when their role in the story isn't big enough that you need them to stick around, or like with Ace where he's killed off and then replaced with basically a second Ace in Sabo (not entirely the same, but more or less)

But it's also kind of wasted potential, like think of the potential gut punch of having Kakashi be one of the people Kabuto reanimated for the final war especially if he's been dead since the Pain arc. There's a bit of that with Asuma, but if one of them were Kakashi? Oof.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1690 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 pm

DOT wrote:

His death was stupid, but I'm of the opinion that except for select few stories, you should have death be final. Maybe once or twice, honestly that's a big part of why Naruto falls off is cause death is just no longer a real threat. Like, don't kill off Kakashi and half the villagers off screen only to bring them back right away with Rinne-bullsh*t jutsu. At least for Gaara he lost Shukaku and the old woman had to die for him to come back, or like, just let Guy die if he's not gonna do anything in the future. Pointlessly lowers the stakes

I think after having read it twice and watched the entire anime, I get why people like it. I want it to be good, there absolutely is a good story in there, it just doesn't follow through

Honestly, bringing Kurama back, especially in baby form, just screams to me that Boruto knows it's a manga for actual babies and they need to sell merch to justify its existence. I know all art needs to be profitable under a capitalist system, but you can't tell me that was a narrative decision and not a marketing decision.

Boruto is definitely for kids as the folks who grew up on his Dad are adults with kids now themselves, so I stopped being so harsh on it. But the flaws are really, really glaring.

Re: Kurama, I was sad when they killed him off, he became a beloved member of the cast for me. So I'm glad he's back. He reminds me of our family dog, grumpy but he's a sweetheart on the low :lol:

Re: Kakashi, I think the original intent was to kill him off but editorial stepped in. Neji was originally supposed to die during the fight with the Sound 4 but they chickened out. I never put it past Shonen Jump to dictate story directions (unless you're a god like Oda).

One point though, if I'm not mistaken, the Tailed Beasts always reincarnate after they are destroyed/killed. Don't hold me to that, I'd have to look it up, but I swear it was stated in Naruto: Shippuden that they always come back eventually. Kakashi's love interest was killed when she had a Tailed Beast in her and it reincarnated soon after. So Kurama being Reborn probably isn't an ass pull. Maybe.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1691 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:56 pm

DOT wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Preach. It felt like such a cowardly move when this happened...I was actually gutted when Kakashi died, and then he brought him back. Just ruined everything.

I'm not gonna say it ruins all stories, cause One Piece is notorious for "killing" characters only to bring them back right away when their role in the story isn't big enough that you need them to stick around, or like with Ace where he's killed off and then replaced with basically a second Ace in Sabo (not entirely the same, but more or less)

But it's also kind of wasted potential, like think of the potential gut punch of having Kakashi be one of the people Kabuto reanimated for the final war especially if he's been dead since the Pain arc. There's a bit of that with Asuma, but if one of them were Kakashi? Oof.

That would have been emotionally damaging :lol: I was relieved when they couldn't reanimate Jiraiya. That would have been so messed up

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1692 » by DOT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:One point though, if I'm not mistaken, the Tailed Beasts always reincarnate after they are destroyed/killed. Don't hold me to that, I'd have to look it up, but I swear it was stated in Naruto: Shippuden that they always come back eventually. Kakashi's love interest was killed when she had a Tailed Beast in her and it reincarnated soon after. So Kurama being Reborn probably isn't an ass pull. Maybe.

Yes because they're pure chakra beings, but according to Dr. Kurama, world-renowned physicist, he was essentially doing nuclear fusion which would destroy his chakra forever

It's not the worst asspull, but it's still an asspull.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1693 » by DOT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:That would have been emotionally damaging :lol: I was relieved when they couldn't reanimate Jiraiya. That would have been so messed up

Yeah but like, think of the angst :lol:

I'm just saying, I don't think anyone Naruto fights who's been Edo Tensei'd has any sort of emotional weight to them, like I'm pretty sure Zabuza and Haku are mindless when he sees them, the closest is probably Itachi and Nagato, but even then he knew each of them for like 5 minutes

It's like a lot of stuff with Naruto, really cool concept but just not properly explored.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1694 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
DOT wrote:

Maybe once or twice, honestly that's a big part of why Naruto falls off is cause death is just no longer a real threat. Like, don't kill off Kakashi and half the villagers off screen only to bring them back right away with Rinne-bullsh*t jutsu.

Preach. It felt like such a cowardly move when this happened...I was actually gutted when Kakashi died, and then he brought him back. Just ruined everything.

The end of The Pain Invasion was a massive, massive cop out. There should have been serious consequences for Konoha based on the whole reason for the village being nuked in the first place.

"Do you hate me? Do you think that people can truly understand each other like this?"

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1695 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:05 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:One point though, if I'm not mistaken, the Tailed Beasts always reincarnate after they are destroyed/killed. Don't hold me to that, I'd have to look it up, but I swear it was stated in Naruto: Shippuden that they always come back eventually. Kakashi's love interest was killed when she had a Tailed Beast in her and it reincarnated soon after. So Kurama being Reborn probably isn't an ass pull. Maybe.

Yes because they're pure chakra beings, but according to Dr. Kurama, world-renowned physicist, he was essentially doing nuclear fusion which would destroy his chakra forever

It's not the worst asspull, but it's still an asspull.

Yeah he did say that was it for him. :-? I remember now.

Kurama isn't necessarily a reliable narrator though, so I'll hold out hope that it wasn’t a complete ass pull. :lol:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1696 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:That would have been emotionally damaging :lol: I was relieved when they couldn't reanimate Jiraiya. That would have been so messed up

Yeah but like, think of the angst :lol:

I'm just saying, I don't think anyone Naruto fights who's been Edo Tensei'd has any sort of emotional weight to them, like I'm pretty sure Zabuza and Haku are mindless when he sees them, the closest is probably Itachi and Nagato, but even then he knew each of them for like 5 minutes

It's like a lot of stuff with Naruto, really cool concept but just not properly explored.

Yeah there really wasn't anyone who made Naruto freak out. That would have been Jujutsu Kaisen levels of despair if Naruto had to fight Kakashi and Jiraiya

Naruto is a fantastic piece of fiction and world building, but I feel like everything after Pain wasn't really executed as great as it could have been. Also, I can talk all day about how some of the characterizations have aged very poorly.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1697 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:11 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:

I started in on Apothecary Diaries. I didn't realize how hilarious it was gonna be, that scene where Maomao is explaining sex to the concubines and the youngest one is silently having a stroke just slayed me :lol:

Once I'm done with that, I'm gonna go back and watch Spice and Wolf the original so I can watch the new one with full context, cause I feel like that's something I've heard about for so long I just need to watch it at this point.

MaoMao is funny as hell. I love when she starts doing pharmaceutical stuff and how insane she gets :lol:

Spice and Wolf is on my watchlist. I'm so glad they remade it.

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1698 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:32 pm

DOT wrote:

Hmm I guess it’s more the way it’s done as opposed to the act itself. I think with Naruto, they established an arc that culminated in this, as well as an emotional scene with Kakashi’s death.

With One Piece, I think Ace is also fleshed out as a character and fan favorite, with a backstory, and an arc where the hero is desperately trying to save him. His death has legit emotional consequences, like wrecking Luffy mentally, Whitebeard dying, Blackbeard’s ascension, even the recent Kaido arc. Even with Sabo taking Ace’s place, it’s different because he’s connected with a different group and has his own story.

So yea…it’s more the way it was done rather than the fact that he came back. Guys coming back in stories, not just anime, isn’t new. Just has to be done well.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1699 » by DOT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:So yea…it’s more the way it was done rather than the fact that he came back. Guys coming back in stories, not just anime, isn’t new. Just has to be done well.

Yeah like, I really like the Malazan book of the fallen series, and deaths in that make Dragon Ball seem permanent lol

But the difference is, people are brought back in a variety of different ways, and there still manages to be weight behind them dying, like dying's still a bad thing even if you come back

It also has zombie velociraptors with swords for arms, so that ups the coolness factor.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1700 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm

On Shogun episode 2...the show is really good. Pacing is excellent, characters are fleshed out, and I get drawn into the conflict and setting easily.

Are we going to be stuck with the Game of Thrones style opening for every top tier show from now on?

Return to New York Knicks