ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,502

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1581 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:50 am

DOT wrote:

Mother's Basement and Bonsai Pop are my Go-To anime YouTubers. MB is great for getting quick scoops on all the new quality anime and BP covers old-school anime which sets it apart from 90% of the pages I see.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1582 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:06 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Now this looks intriguing.

There's another game Atlus just released. A tactical RPG called Unicorn Overlord. I heard it's phenomenal

I downloaded the demo for Unicorn Overlord, and the gameplay instantly hit my nostalgia buttons. But it was for literally one game that I can't recall anything else repeating. Ogre Battle for SNES (and remade for N64).

Ogre Battle was a tactical RPG unlike anything else. You don't control the turned base battles. Instead, you're like a general. You put together parties and send them along a big map to liberate villages, look for secrets, and fight the enemy. I LOVED that game, and Unicorn Overlord is the first time in forever that I've played a game like it.

The only other game close to it in style was Kessen, but that was much simpler and bit more like the Total War series where you control big armies rather than preparing small parties for turn-based style matchups.

Just seeing this style of gameplay make a comeback gave me some hope that maybe you guys will get to play a Dragon Force clone some day. Nobody played Dragon Force, but it was an absolute classic in my book.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,914

Post#1583 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:38 pm

Someone posted a picture of Young Thibs on the Knicks subreddit and i couldn't help it:

ImageImage

Image Image

:lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1584 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:41 pm

j4remi wrote:

There's another game Atlus just released. A tactical RPG called Unicorn Overlord. I heard it's phenomenal

I downloaded the demo for Unicorn Overlord, and the gameplay instantly hit my nostalgia buttons. But it was for literally one game that I can't recall anything else repeating. Ogre Battle for SNES (and remade for N64).

Ogre Battle was a tactical RPG unlike anything else. You don't control the turned base battles. Instead, you're like a general. You put together parties and send them along a big map to liberate villages, look for secrets, and fight the enemy. I LOVED that game, and Unicorn Overlord is the first time in forever that I've played a game like it.

The only other game close to it in style was Kessen, but that was much simpler and bit more like the Total War series where you control big armies rather than preparing small parties for turn-based style matchups.

Just seeing this style of gameplay make a comeback gave me some hope that maybe you guys will get to play a Dragon Force clone some day. Nobody played Dragon Force, but it was an absolute classic in my book.

yeah i'm digging the return of tactical RPGs. hell, i am honestly more interested in turn based/tactical than action RPGs now. For some reason (probably age) i just want to take my time and not have to worry about hectic hack and slash/inputs

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,316

Post#1585 » by DOT » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:

yeah i'm digging the return of tactical RPGs. hell, i am honestly more interested in turn based/tactical than action RPGs now. For some reason (probably age) i just want to take my time and not have to worry about hectic hack and slash/inputs

I've been playing a ton of Civ IV lately, cause that was one of the foundational games of my childhood

It's f*cking brutal, like even on mid-level difficulty. Maybe I just suck at it lol

It was like that, plus KotoR 2 and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One which kinda defined my childhood

It's not exactly the same, but I've been a big Paradox Games guy for a while now which is sort of the evolution of games like Civ, especially Victoria III which is basically just Economy Simulator; the game. It's just a shame how many actual Nazis there are in the fandom, really spoils the fun. It is funny though to see them go into a Vicky III community and complain about how Communism is way too OP in the game :lol:
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1586 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:20 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:yeah i'm digging the return of tactical RPGs. hell, i am honestly more interested in turn based/tactical than action RPGs now. For some reason (probably age) i just want to take my time and not have to worry about hectic hack and slash/inputs

I grew up on turn-based and tactical RPGs. I cut my teeth on the Shining Force games, the old FFs, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger and similar stuff. I genuinely think it's part of the reason I ended up such an avid reader (and a fast reader also).

I kinda lost my taste for RPGs after they went too far in the action direction. I don't love any of the new Final Fantasy games (not that they're bad), and I think most other action-RPGs are really just action games with a layer of RPG mechanics on top.

So, now that we're getting a bit of a resurgence in the turn-based stuff on consoles (never been much of a PC gamer), I'm reminded about all the oldies I loved. I know a bunch of obscure old-school rpg's that most people never got to play or hear about. I'll throw some posts about them up when I feel inspired.

DOT wrote:I've been playing a ton of Civ IV lately, cause that was one of the foundational games of my childhood

It's f*cking brutal, like even on mid-level difficulty. Maybe I just suck at it lol

It was like that, plus KotoR 2 and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One which kinda defined my childhood

It's not exactly the same, but I've been a big Paradox Games guy for a while now which is sort of the evolution of games like Civ, especially Victoria III which is basically just Economy Simulator; the game. It's just a shame how many actual Nazis there are in the fandom, really spoils the fun. It is funny though to see them go into a Vicky III community and complain about how Communism is way too OP in the game :lol:

I LOVED the KotoR games and Jade Empire, which was basically KotoR gameplay in a kung-fu movie setting. Since I didn't play PC games, I always missed out on the Civilation games. I remember always thinking they looked like the series Romance of the Three Kingdoms, because of the top down displays. If they're anything alike, I'd probably be a fan.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1587 » by DOT » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:36 pm

j4remi wrote:I LOVED the KotoR games and Jade Empire, which was basically KotoR gameplay in a kung-fu movie setting. Since I didn't play PC games, I always missed out on the Civilation games. I remember always thinking they looked like the series Romance of the Three Kingdoms, because of the top down displays. If they're anything alike, I'd probably be a fan.

I think the hardcore 4X guys still view Civ IV as the gold standard of the genre

It doesn't have any real-time stuff, like combat is just one unit attacks another and basically dice rolls choose who wins, until they changed it in Civ V to where you can see how much damage exactly will be done to you and the enemy, as well as making it so only one unit can occupy one tile at a time making it more strategic but ironically making it easier, as AI isn't able to strategize very well so you can easily outmaneuver them, where in Civ IV they just build giant death stacks of over a dozen units that you just need to smash your way through

I still enjoy it, but like I said once you go over a certain difficulty level, the bonuses the AI get are kind of absurd. Like, I get it, that's the only real way to balance it without getting better at AI programming, but still. The game I'm on now, I took a civilization that specializes in expanding, spammed new cities to the point of almost ruining my entire economy, and I still was the smallest in terms of population

You compare that to like, CK3 where I have a playthrough where I started as the lowest level character you can make in Ireland and owned every province in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England by the time his son was 40, even with all the nerfs they put in place to stop that it's still too easy.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1588 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:26 pm

DOT wrote:I think the hardcore 4X guys still view Civ IV as the gold standard of the genre

It doesn't have any real-time stuff, like combat is just one unit attacks another and basically dice rolls choose who wins, until they changed it in Civ V to where you can see how much damage exactly will be done to you and the enemy, as well as making it so only one unit can occupy one tile at a time making it more strategic but ironically making it easier, as AI isn't able to strategize very well so you can easily outmaneuver them, where in Civ IV they just build giant death stacks of over a dozen units that you just need to smash your way through

I still enjoy it, but like I said once you go over a certain difficulty level, the bonuses the AI get are kind of absurd. Like, I get it, that's the only real way to balance it without getting better at AI programming, but still. The game I'm on now, I took a civilization that specializes in expanding, spammed new cities to the point of almost ruining my entire economy, and I still was the smallest in terms of population

You compare that to like, CK3 where I have a playthrough where I started as the lowest level character you can make in Ireland and owned every province in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England by the time his son was 40, even with all the nerfs they put in place to stop that it's still too easy.

Ironically, i feel like the Romance games went the opposite way but wound up with a similar result. The older ones had more difficult warfare which meant your resources wound up focused on army and tech, and battles took a long time. Newer iterations simplified the warfare and now I find myself much more focused on diplomacy and state-building.

Both styles are fun, but how you say Civ IV is the gold standard for some; we're at RoTK XIV, but the fan-favorite version is RotK 8, which is so popular they're remaking it.

The Sid Meier games always intrigued me because RoTK is about uniting and building up China. But Civ games looked global. There was another game with Meier's name attached from ages ago called Black and White, where you played God and guided a tribe up with your influence that always looked super cool (but much different from the games we're talking about). His name always popped up on interesting projects that I didn't get to play. I think he made Spore too.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1589 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm

Looks like Oda's taking a 3 week vacation to focus on himself..

Good. Life is too short.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1590 » by DOT » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:39 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Looks like Oda's taking a 3 week vacation to focus on himself..

Good. Life is too short.

Yeah, 3 week vacation, then 1 chapter, then golden week

So we get 1 chapter for the next 5 weeks

I'm fine with it, like he's in good health and it's just pre-emptive, but definitely good to take time off.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1591 » by DOT » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:46 pm

Every goddamn time

BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1592 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:00 pm

DOT wrote:Every goddamn time

I was gonna say "dude, spoilers!!" but then i realized you aren't really spoiling anything, this meme is just the harsh truth. This series has been garbage since chapter 236.

I pray that the young author of Kagurabachi doesn't walk this same thorned path that Gege is on.

On another note, did you get a chance to see the new blu-ray cuts from Season 2, Episode 17?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1593 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:06 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Looks like Oda's taking a 3 week vacation to focus on himself..

Good. Life is too short.

Yeah, 3 week vacation, then 1 chapter, then golden week

So we get 1 chapter for the next 5 weeks

I'm fine with it, like he's in good health and it's just pre-emptive, but definitely good to take time off.

I think this should be standard practice.

There's really zero reason for every series to be published each week. Spy X Family is biweekly and it does just fine. Same with Chainsaw Man. I don't need to read Kagurabachi every week, I'd rather the author get some rest after cooking forging straight up fire for the last 25+ weeks.

Like honestly, there should be a two week schedule for each series. It gives the authors more time to be actual human beings and not slaves to their craft. Let one week be for One Piece, JJK, next week My Hero, Elusive Samurai, Kagura B, etc. Alternate.

The art quality would also improve across the board. It's crazy that Shonen Jump is still doing this.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1594 » by DOT » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:08 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I was gonna say "dude, spoilers!!" but then i realized you aren't really spoiling anything, this meme is just the harsh truth. This series has been garbage since chapter 236.

I pray that the young author of Kagurabachi doesn't walk this same thorned path that Gege is on.

On another note, did you get a chance to see the new blu-ray cuts from Season 2, Episode 17?

Yeah, after this I just really don't care

It's just the same sh*t over and over again

I kinda don't really care about the new cuts for the Mahoraga fight, like cool it looks incredible, but it's not really doing anything for me.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,091

Post#1595 » by TerrenceClarke » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:25 pm

Where is the love for X Men 97. I told ya this a Japan thread :lol:

Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1596 » by j4remi » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:05 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:Where is the love for X Men 97. I told ya this a Japan thread :lol:

It's kinda got me in an uncanny valley. I grew up with the old series and this animation really nails it. But the voices are like bad impersonations of the classic, and it throws me off. I'm hoping it grows on me over time. Plus it's hard to see Cyclops reverted to his good guy phase when the comic version has come so far

Spoiler:

I rate Invincible over everything else stateside. Which is some BS, because all they'd have to do is copy the DC formula of actually adapting the most beloved comic stories. Jonathon Hickman's Avengers and Secret Wars, then House of X and Powers of X would SMOKE everything if they got a decent animation studio on board.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,091

Post#1597 » by TerrenceClarke » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:10 am

j4remi wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:Where is the love for X Men 97. I told ya this a Japan thread :lol:

It's kinda got me in an uncanny valley. I grew up with the old series and this animation really nails it. But the voices are like bad impersonations of the classic, and it throws me off. I'm hoping it grows on me over time. Plus it's hard to see Cyclops reverted to his good guy phase when the comic version has come so far

Spoiler:

I rate Invincible over everything else stateside. Which is some BS, because all they'd have to do is copy the DC formula of actually adapting the most beloved comic stories. Jonathon Hickman's Avengers and Secret Wars, then House of X and Powers of X would SMOKE everything if they got a decent animation studio on board.

I feel you

Wolverine isn’t as bad but rogue is mad off.

I’m going to watch it cause the end of the day…..it’s the X Men. And they seem to take it serious.

Invincible is good but they will never be the X men cause they don’t have Bishop lol
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#1598 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:37 am

You missed it bro! We were talking about it a while back. But it’s on the radar for me. I only binge this stuff when all the episodes are out. Definitely pumped about this.

My dudes won’t talk to me about dune 2 though
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1599 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:58 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:

You missed it bro! We were talking about it a while back. But it’s on the radar for me. I only binge this stuff when all the episodes are out. Definitely pumped about this.

My dudes won’t talk to me about dune 2 though

First two episodes of X-Men were good, definitely hit all the right notes for my nostalgia :lol:

I loved Dune 2 from start to finish. It didn't even feel like a 3 hour film.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1600 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:04 pm

Frieren ended yesterday. An instant modern day classic. One of the saddest love stories ever disguised as a fantasy action anime.

So if you want to know where things go after the last episode, start reading the manga at Chapter 61, which takes place 29 years after the Death of The Hero, Himmel.

"When you want to flee, let's flee together. We're a party after all."

GOAT status.

Return to New York Knicks