ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,489

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1 » by RHODEY » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:19 pm

I got a little geek in me. Feel free to post some of your favorite nerdy stuff here:

Here goes:

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,341

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#2 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:24 pm

Here's a recommendation for Horror and Supernatural nerds

Directed by a great film noir director. Very atmospheric. A favorite of mine.

It's a UK film. Was released there as:

ImageImageImage
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#3 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:39 pm

Liking The Mighty Boosh is kind of Nerdy. This episode is classic.

Snacks
Rookie
And1: 1,115

Post#4 » by Snacks » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:46 pm

Mitch
Towns
OG
Spida
JB
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,311

Post#5 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:08 pm

My brother got me into the Clone Wars series and now watching the Bad Batch series. I always liked Star Wars but...this shyt Dave Filoni is doing really opens up the entire universe and gives a lot of detailed back story on everything. It makes the movies so much better. It also makes me mad that they didn't get to do the last three movies because...those were pretty lame in comparison. He turned me into a Star Wars nerd now!
:beer: RIP mags
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,914

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:41 pm

:) if you know, you know.

Spoiler:
Leaked images from the upcoming chapter of the Dragon Ball Super comic
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:41 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:My brother got me into the Clone Wars series and now watching the Bad Batch series. I always liked Star Wars but...this shyt Dave Filoni is doing really opens up the entire universe and gives a lot of detailed back story on everything. It makes the movies so much better. It also makes me mad that they didn't get to do the last three movies because...those were pretty lame in comparison. He turned me into a Star Wars nerd now!

I'm waiting for The Acolyte live action series.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,316

Post#8 » by DOT » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:42 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:My brother got me into the Clone Wars series and now watching the Bad Batch series. I always liked Star Wars but...this shyt Dave Filoni is doing really opens up the entire universe and gives a lot of detailed back story on everything. It makes the movies so much better. It also makes me mad that they didn't get to do the last three movies because...those were pretty lame in comparison. He turned me into a Star Wars nerd now!

The Clone Wars is the 2nd best piece of Star Wars media to come out in the last 40 years

Kotor 2 being the best.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,489

Post#9 » by RHODEY » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:44 pm

Snacks wrote:
Nothing Nerdy about liking the Legend.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by DOT » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:45 pm

I've been a Doctor Who fan since the Matt Smith era, though I've fallen off of it after Capaldi. Finally started to watch the classic series, and it's definitely an experience. Kind of frustrating that so much of the first 2 doctors was destroyed, I'm on Troughton's last season

Also been reading Naruto at work, and I gotta say, it's pretty good. But One Piece is much better.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:45 pm

DOT wrote:

The Clone Wars is the 2nd best piece of Star Wars media to come out in the last 40 years

Kotor 2 being the best.

I'm a big Rogue One guy. I still need to watch Andor.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:47 pm

DOT wrote:I've been a Doctor Who fan since the Matt Smith era, though I've fallen off of it after Capaldi. Finally started to watch the classic series, and it's definitely an experience. Kind of frustrating that so much of the first 2 doctors was destroyed, I'm on Troughton's last season

Also been reading Naruto at work, and I gotta say, it's pretty good. But One Piece is much better.

Naruto is an amazing story, but the final act left a lot to be desired (and I have my theories on that, but I'll save them til you're finished).

I'll probably read One Piece one day in the future whenever it's finished. 1000+ chapters and ongoing is a daunting task :lol:

If you're ever interested, the publishers of Naruto/One Piece have an all encompassing app that is like $2 a month and you can read their entire library.

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#13 » by br7knicks » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:54 pm

the first 3, and Rogue One, are amazing. i haven't done clone wars. I was a complete star wars dork when i was a kid. fell off when i got to HS and college (after the 3 in the middle came out, i was turned off. terrible movies).
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#14 » by br7knicks » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:55 pm

are we doing nerd, geek, or dork here? those are 3 different types right there.

RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by DOT » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:06 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm a big Rogue One guy. I still need to watch Andor.

I wasn't that interested in it at first, but it's really good

MrDollarBills wrote:Naruto is an amazing story, but the final act left a lot to be desired (and I have my theories on that, but I'll save them til you're finished).

I'll probably read One Piece one day in the future whenever it's finished. 1000+ chapters and ongoing is a daunting task :lol:

If you're ever interested, the publishers of Naruto/One Piece have an all encompassing app that is like $2 a month and you can read their entire library.

I'm on chapter like 550 of Naruto, so I'm not too far off. It's very good, but I think One Piece is just pretty consistently much better at both the macro story and the individual arcs. Like, it's been said to death at this point, but the worldbuilding in One Piece is really next level compared to Naruto.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,502

Post#16 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:10 pm

I've jacked up my comic collection recently placing last minute bids on comics i wanted off ebay...new collection includes:

Omega Men 3 - the first appearance of Lobo in DC comics

Prince Namor the Sub Mariner 1-4 - A full run of the 80's Namor comic series

Spawn 1 - first print of the original Spawn comic from McFarlane

Long Shot 1-4 - The first appearances of Longshot, MoJo, Spiral, and the MoJoVerse...some of my favorite slightly more obscure Marvel mutants

Batman Beyond Unlimited 13 - Not a major key, but it's the first time we see Harley Quinn in the future as an old cussing Grandma with her granddaughters

Mighty Avengers 62 - A 1969 comic that features the first appearance of M'baku who I'm spec'ing to take on more roles in the MCU

And a CGC graded 9.4 copy of the Last Ronin issue 1 - A TMNT series set in a future where Shredder has killed all the major characters besides one final Turtle from the crew (part of the fun in the first read is figuring out which turtle was left as remembers how the others passed away).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,502

Post#17 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:14 pm

DOT wrote:

MrDollarBills wrote:Naruto is an amazing story, but the final act left a lot to be desired (and I have my theories on that, but I'll save them til you're finished).

I'm on chapter like 550 of Naruto, so I'm not too far off. It's very good, but I think One Piece is just pretty consistently much better at both the macro story and the individual arcs. Like, it's been said to death at this point, but the worldbuilding in One Piece is really next level compared to Naruto.

After Wano, I put One Piece as the GOAT manga period. I used to have the old Shonen Jump magazines from when those manga first appeared in English. I wish I never lost those. I grew up on a big three of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach (it's final arc is only just now being animated on Hulu).

If yall like those, the new breed of Shounen manga has a couple of gems worth a look. Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man...those joints are DARK, but really do feel like the next ones up (along with Demon Slayer which I don't rate as highly but is still good).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:18 pm

DOT wrote:

Oh yeah, I've heard the same. The world building and level of planning the author put into One Piece is without peer.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by DOT » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:20 pm

j4remi wrote:
DOT wrote:

After Wano, I put One Piece as the GOAT manga period. I used to have the old Shonen Jump magazines from when those manga first appeared in English. I wish I never lost those. I grew up on a big three of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach (it's final arc is only just now being animated on Hulu).

If yall like those, the new breed of Shounen manga has a couple of gems worth a look. Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man...those joints are DARK, but really do feel like the next ones up (along with Demon Slayer which I don't rate as highly but is still good).

Bleach is next on my list of manga to read at work. Well, either that or Hunter x Hunter (which I have watched the anime of)

And the rest, I've seen Jujustsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer's anime (and the first episode of Chainsaw Man), but haven't read them. So I can't speak to the manga quality, but I definitely recommend the anime

Frankly, the fact that One Piece is still putting out consistently good stuff after over 20 years is insane. I still think Eneis Lobby is the peak, but Wano is right up there with it, and Egghead's off to a real strong start.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,091

Post#20 » by TerrenceClarke » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:26 pm

Naruto >>>> One Piece
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop

Return to New York Knicks