ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,914

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1601 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Apocathery Diaries Season 2 has been greenlit
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,315

Post#1602 » by DOT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:54 pm

OP 1111:

Spoiler:

Again, objectively a good thing Oda is taking time off when he's in good health as a preventative measure, but man it's gonna be rough only getting 1 chapter for the next 5 weeks.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1603 » by DOT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:16 pm

I guess I'm gonna hold off on Dragon's Dogma 2

I hear the core game is good, but the performance issues plus scummy DLC stuff is putting me off. I'll wait and see if it gets better, but I can wait.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1604 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:46 pm

DOT wrote:I guess I'm gonna hold off on Dragon's Dogma 2

I hear the core game is good, but the performance issues plus scummy DLC stuff is putting me off. I'll wait and see if it gets better, but I can wait.

Yeah dude i was gonna ask you about this. I saw on the gaming subreddit dudes were trashing the game for microstansactions

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1605 » by DOT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Yeah dude i was gonna ask you about this. I saw on the gaming subreddit dudes were trashing the game for microstansactions

It's like, it's just enough for me to have noticed, but I'm not so invested in the game that I'm really looking into it, I just know there's a bunch of day 1 stuff that sounds like it should just come with the game

Hopefully it gets straightened out, but I'm not in a rush.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1606 » by DOT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:29 pm

Solo Leveling really popped off this week

I've been waiting for my boy Igris to show up, and they did not disappoint

Not as good as Frieren's fight scenes of course, but that show is built different

Be kind of a weird spot to end next episode if that's the season finale. I've seen some people speculate there's gonna be a second cour, but I don't think so, there's no official announcement of that and there would be by now

It's like Chainsaw Man, even with good pacing 12 episodes isn't enough to actually get into the story but oh well I guess. I'll look forward to season 2 when it comes out, it's a really popular series and the anime did a great job adapting it.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,502

Post#1607 » by j4remi » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:47 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:
j4remi wrote:It's kinda got me in an uncanny valley. I grew up with the old series and this animation really nails it. But the voices are like bad impersonations of the classic, and it throws me off. I'm hoping it grows on me over time. Plus it's hard to see Cyclops reverted to his good guy phase when the comic version has come so far

Spoiler:

I rate Invincible over everything else stateside. Which is some BS, because all they'd have to do is copy the DC formula of actually adapting the most beloved comic stories. Jonathon Hickman's Avengers and Secret Wars, then House of X and Powers of X would SMOKE everything if they got a decent animation studio on board.

I feel you

Wolverine isn’t as bad but rogue is mad off.

I’m going to watch it cause the end of the day…..it’s the X Men. And they seem to take it serious.

Invincible is good but they will never be the X men cause they don’t have Bishop lol

I'll definitely keep watching. It's like hopping in a time machine with how well they matched the animation. Rogue's definitely the worst of the voices :lol: . Storm and Jubilee are the best. Wolverine's not bad. Gambit, Cyclops, and Jean are rough, but not as bad as Rogue.

Bishop is by far my favorite character design, and he has one of the best origin stories IMO. Ironically, his original design would have been way different (modeled after a Filipino billiards player).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1608 » by j4remi » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:17 pm

Frieren and Apothecary Diaries both ended on high notes.

Frieren:
Spoiler:
Frieren almost felt meta with the whole "it would be awkward when we meet again" bit feeling like a message to fans that want more episodes. I love that we got to see Himmel and Frieren's impact on the generations prior through Wirbel and Denken's conversation. For an entire generation, the Heroes' party is the reason people learned magic.

I LOVED Frieren calling out the contradictions with Serie. Also, Methode being overcome by cuteness instead of fear is my favorite pass of the test. I knew Ubel was golden, and the exchange that she had with Serie was perfect. She's a great foil to Fern. They're both natural prodigies, but they've developed in completely different ways. They do the power system justice too, by showing how dynamic it can be with such a simple starting point of "if you can envision it, you can turn it into a spell.

I also love that we didn't learn about anyone's spell except for Fern's, which is so perfectly "Frieren's disciple." The smiles on Fern and Frieren gave me genuine joy.

Apothecary Diaries:
Spoiler:
The fact that they made Lakan one of the most tragic characters of the story blew me away. What a beautiful ending to his story, and MaoMao kind of pulled off an ancient Chinese Parent Trap, lol. I knew I'd love this series after the story of the ghost on the wall, so seeing MaoMao climb the wall and dance was a fantastic full-circle moment. It's wild that two of the best animated moments of the season were dance sequences (Fern and Start first, then MaoMao on the wall). Plus, again, the score was just spectacular.

I love that they ended on MaoMao messing with Jinshi again. It's a perfect ending, 10/10.

Thank God April is stacked, because losing both these anime for a while sucks. But the best part of both finales is how they announced plans for more. Imagine starting a career directing anime with Bocchi the Rock and Frieren as your first two lead projects....Keichiro Saito is gonna be an all-time great.

Also...Dungeon Meshi continued to be an underrated gem of the season right through to the end. There feels like a lot more hinted at behind all the humor and gags. It's genuinely funny, and the world is more well-though out than 90% of fantasy landscapes.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1609 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:02 pm

Kagurabachi and Ruri Dragon are just such good reads on a Sunday. Hard boiled sword action and some adorable slice of life (although i think there's going to be some action down the road as Ruri's powers continue to grow).

Refreshing. It's a good combination.

Jujutsu Kaisen is a disaster right now. Never seen anything like it.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1610 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:09 pm

j4remi wrote:Frieren and Apothecary Diaries both ended on high notes.

Frieren:
Spoiler:
Frieren almost felt meta with the whole "it would be awkward when we meet again" bit feeling like a message to fans that want more episodes. I love that we got to see Himmel and Frieren's impact on the generations prior through Wirbel and Denken's conversation. For an entire generation, the Heroes' party is the reason people learned magic.

I LOVED Frieren calling out the contradictions with Serie. Also, Methode being overcome by cuteness instead of fear is my favorite pass of the test. I knew Ubel was golden, and the exchange that she had with Serie was perfect. She's a great foil to Fern. They're both natural prodigies, but they've developed in completely different ways. They do the power system justice too, by showing how dynamic it can be with such a simple starting point of "if you can envision it, you can turn it into a spell.

I also love that we didn't learn about anyone's spell except for Fern's, which is so perfectly "Frieren's disciple." The smiles on Fern and Frieren gave me genuine joy.

Apothecary Diaries:
Spoiler:
The fact that they made Lakan one of the most tragic characters of the story blew me away. What a beautiful ending to his story, and MaoMao kind of pulled off an ancient Chinese Parent Trap, lol. I knew I'd love this series after the story of the ghost on the wall, so seeing MaoMao climb the wall and dance was a fantastic full-circle moment. It's wild that two of the best animated moments of the season were dance sequences (Fern and Start first, then MaoMao on the wall). Plus, again, the score was just spectacular.

I love that they ended on MaoMao messing with Jinshi again. It's a perfect ending, 10/10.

Thank God April is stacked, because losing both these anime for a while sucks. But the best part of both finales is how they announced plans for more. Imagine starting a career directing anime with Bocchi the Rock and Frieren as your first two lead projects....Keichiro Saito is gonna be an all-time great.

I think Saito is already in GOAT status.

Bocchi the Rock! and Frieren are both two of the best series of this decade, without question. Having those under your belt at this stage...it's kinda exciting to see what he does next.

Hopefully he tosses his hat in the ring for Kagurabachi's adaptation. I wanna see what he can do with something real hardcore.

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#1611 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:12 am

Random off topic but damn I just realized Karl Urban from the Boys also played Eomer from LOTR.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1612 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:50 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:Random off topic but damn I just realized Karl Urban from the Boys also played Eomer from LOTR.

Karl Urban is a nerd too

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1613 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:27 pm

The Boston Red Sox have partnered with Toei to have a One Piece night at Fenway this season.

Meanwhile, i guess at Yankee stadium we'll have to settle for Marcus Stroman bobblehead night. :roll:

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1614 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:The Boston Red Sox have partnered with Toei to have a One Piece night at Fenway this season.

Meanwhile, i guess at Yankee stadium we'll have to settle for Marcus Stroman bobblehead night. :roll:

Speaking of, that Kendrick line from his verse on Like That is all over my TikTok

I don't know how Bleach and Naruto fans are gonna recover from this one.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#1615 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Random off topic but damn I just realized Karl Urban from the Boys also played Eomer from LOTR.

Karl Urban is a nerd too

Man is a damn genius, is what he is. He played those roles really well. Butcher is such an @$$hole and he pulls it off...totally different from Eomer.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1616 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:01 pm

Can I just say, I think the scans of One Piece and JJK sound better than the official translations

Like, I don't speak Japanese so I can't say for sure which is more accurate, but in the latest OP chapter, "It is hard to single out a lone insect when you're exterminating the hive" is just so much cooler than "One does not attempt to step on insects, it simply happens"
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1617 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:25 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:The Boston Red Sox have partnered with Toei to have a One Piece night at Fenway this season.

Speaking of, that Kendrick line from his verse on Like That is all over my TikTok

That was a hard diss and it's literally the first thing that i thought of when i heard that line :lol:

I mean at this point Naruto and Bleach fans have to concede. Both series went off the rails towards the end. Oda is GOATed.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1618 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:41 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:

That was a hard diss and it's literally the first thing that i thought of when i heard that line :lol:

I mean at this point Naruto and Bleach fans have to concede. Both series went off the rails towards the end. Oda is GOATed.

We do have to see how it ends though. I wasn't in the fandoms at the time so I can't say what the general feel for them was heading into their final arcs. I have faith, but Oda could fumble at the goal line.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1619 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:10 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:Speaking of, that Kendrick line from his verse on Like That is all over my TikTok

We do have to see how it ends though. I wasn't in the fandoms at the time so I can't say what the general feel for them was heading into their final arcs. I have faith, but Oda could fumble at the goal line.

I would be stunned if Oda fumbled.

I feel like Naruto and Bleach got hit with outside interference in the end (Jump forced Kubo to wrap it up quickly, and clearly a decision was made to turn Naruto into a zombie franchise with Boruto). One Piece has the audience and clout for Oda to end this on his terms

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1620 » by j4remi » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:39 am

I don't know how this CSM arc has managed to maintain the comedy, but this chapter (560) bodied me.

Spoiler:
Kitana man being a low-key Asa Mitaka fan fan, and Asa random dropping a poetry book slayed me.

Then another Public Safety officer running away and Yoru asking if they're all this cowardly got me again. Plus, now I'm curious who he went to get because there are a few interesting options. Quanxi, Kishibe...Reze :lol:

I know it's jokes now. But I swear Yoru's tryna get on Kitana man's good side to make him one of her weapons. If he admits he's her biggest fan, it's over.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks