ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Re: 2023 New York Yankees Thread 

Post#661 » by moocow007 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:57 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I would def sign Snell up if it's a similar contract to what Bellinger got, a 3-4 year deal with 25-30M per sounds like something we can't pass up and it's right in line with Cole/Rodon contracts. They've been saying a Yankee offer is out there and it's a decision between Angels or Yankees for Snell but not sure how true those rumors are.

Yankees gave up kinda alot of pitching prospects for them not to re sign Soto. I think it's almost a must to resign Soto no matter how great Jones/Dominguez plays because we would have gave up those prospects for nothing. I know Hal cares about the money and tax alot but Soto is still so young and already one of the best players in the game. we need to re sign him and figure out the rest later, we can always move around the guys to the DH spot or even play one of Jones or Judge at 1st base just to make it work. A few years down the line if Jones/Dominguez is mashing then maybe trade Soto and the rest of his contract somewhere else. Or maybe even one of the kids for whatever we neeed at that time. The point is to always keep the options open.

The problem with signing Snell to a high AAV contract is the 100% (dollar for dollar) tax that Hal would have to pay. Hal's historically been tax adverse so much so that it resulted in a lot of the contracts that have been strangling the Yankees (DJL, Hicks, etc.) where instead of giving the player shorter contracts with higher AAV, they go with the longer contracts for lower AAV. I can't see Hal agreeing to do Snell on that type of a contract.

As far as Soto goes, I would not bet the farm that Hal would be willing to do whatever it takes to resign Soto. IMHO if another team decides to throw the farm at Soto that the Yankees (Hal) won't go there.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,827

Post#662 » by Rich Rane » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:25 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:I don't care how much of their potential Jones/Jasson end up fulfilling.To this point in his career, Juan Soto is one of the best left hitters to ever play the sport of baseball. If his career suffers no catastrophical setbacks this year, there is no excuse for the New York Yankees losing him next offseason. None.

Realistically, while Jones has a shot at the big leagues this season, as of now, I don't expect him until September callups and he really only gets playing time if there's a lot of injuries to add him to the 40-man (with this team's recent history, definitely not out of the realm of possibility). Dominguez...with his Tommy John, a fan would have to pray he's ready to go by All-Star break and hopes he has an amazing second half to push Judge to a corner outfield spot. But yeah conventionally speaking, you're correct in that Soto would need a horrendous season for the Yankees not to wanna sign him longterm, but there's no part of you that thinks Hal is praying the young guys come up with mega seasons to give him a reason not to wanna sign Soto to a mega contract?

moocow007 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yup, would've just about cleared the short porch at Yankees Stadium. :lol:

Something crazy to think about, even though it was at high A and AA, he stole 43 bases last season.

Jones homer was impressive but honestly George Lombard Jr was even more impressive. Was an opposite field homer. His swing is picture perfect from the right side.

He's ways away though. I think he only played Rookie league last season so while he's someone to keep an eye on, he's not someone to watch too closely as of yet.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#663 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:18 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I would def sign Snell up if it's a similar contract to what Bellinger got, a 3-4 year deal with 25-30M per sounds like something we can't pass up and it's right in line with Cole/Rodon contracts. They've been saying a Yankee offer is out there and it's a decision between Angels or Yankees for Snell but not sure how true those rumors are.

Yankees gave up kinda alot of pitching prospects for them not to re sign Soto. I think it's almost a must to resign Soto no matter how great Jones/Dominguez plays because we would have gave up those prospects for nothing. I know Hal cares about the money and tax alot but Soto is still so young and already one of the best players in the game. we need to re sign him and figure out the rest later, we can always move around the guys to the DH spot or even play one of Jones or Judge at 1st base just to make it work. A few years down the line if Jones/Dominguez is mashing then maybe trade Soto and the rest of his contract somewhere else. Or maybe even one of the kids for whatever we neeed at that time. The point is to always keep the options open.

The problem with signing Snell to a high AAV contract is the 100% (dollar for dollar) tax that Hal would have to pay. Hal's historically been tax adverse so much so that it resulted in a lot of the contracts that have been strangling the Yankees (DJL, Hicks, etc.) where instead of giving the player shorter contracts with higher AAV, they go with the longer contracts for lower AAV. I can't see Hal agreeing to do Snell on that type of a contract.

As far as Soto goes, I would not bet the farm that Hal would be willing to do whatever it takes to resign Soto. IMHO if another team decides to throw the farm at Soto that the Yankees (Hal) won't go there.

It's probably not a high AAV contract anymore. Bellinger's contract doesn't have a high ceiling, but has opt-outs and a safe floor in case he effs up. The idea is that if Bellinger shows his previous season was not a fluke, he opts out and then gets that new contract. And if not, then I guess he'll pick up the option but it probably won't be as painful for Chicago as the $150/6 he was projected to get.

100% agree about Hal though. The man can make excuses with the best of them. I like how he voted for a more strenuous luxury tax too, as if that wasn't one of the Yankees' strengths. Snake.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,923

Post#664 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:36 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:I don't care how much of their potential Jones/Jasson end up fulfilling.To this point in his career, Juan Soto is one of the best left hitters to ever play the sport of baseball. If his career suffers no catastrophical setbacks this year, there is no excuse for the New York Yankees losing him next offseason. None.

Realistically, while Jones has a shot at the big leagues this season, as of now, I don't expect him until September callups and he really only gets playing time if there's a lot of injuries to add him to the 40-man (with this team's recent history, definitely not out of the realm of possibility). Dominguez...with his Tommy John, a fan would have to pray he's ready to go by All-Star break and hopes he has an amazing second half to push Judge to a corner outfield spot. But yeah conventionally speaking, you're correct in that Soto would need a horrendous season for the Yankees not to wanna sign him longterm, but there's no part of you that thinks Hal is praying the young guys come up with mega seasons to give him a reason not to wanna sign Soto to a mega contract?

Oh I can definitely see Hal thinking that way, and that's been the problem with the way he's run this organization for the last 15 years - seeking a cheaper/easier way out of situations and ending up with a sub-Yankee-standards product. Having Juan Soto in the building is an honor and privilege, Hal has to get out of his own way on this one - and this is coming from someone who doesn't want to ever deal with Boras clients (despite agreeing with his general theories on player salaries). access to a longterm Juan Soto deal at age 26 is a generational exception to not working with Boras, to me. There is not a single reason for a competently run New York Yankees team to let a likely future HOFer go in his PREPRIME if he's willing to sign here - it doesn't matter who else is on the roster.

As an aside, Jones is a big question mark based on his professional work so far. If he can be the centerpiece to a star trade, than I'd trade him in a heartbeat. I love his profile, and it's easy to get drunk on his other-worldly tools and athleticism - especially when they flash in a viral video of a 470ft bomb - but his overall results have some significant red flags. Despite all the comps, to this point he is decidedly NOT a left-handed Judge.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,914

Post#665 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:22 pm

Yeah this is how I feel. Unless Soto sh*t his pants this season, retaining him should be a foregone conclusion
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,311

Post#666 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:03 pm

Caught a few innings of the Yankees/Twins game. Soto almost took one deep but, his gawk walking to first base turned a triple into a double. He drove in two runs though. Starting to get a little spring fever. Looking at the projected bullpen and I didn't know half the guys on the list. Hopefully we have a season worth watching this year. Other than the 62 from Judge there hasn't been much to watch lately.
:beer: RIP mags
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#667 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:49 am

Jordan Montgomery…please.

Nvm, let’s keep trading for Athletics pitchers and hope they can survive in New York. Or maybe we can wait til the trade deadline, engage in talks for an ace, and then not pull the trigger.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,400

Post#668 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:08 am

Jones is that player the Yankees are going to hype and prospect hug and then he doesn't turn into anything and they probably trade him for a 5th starter after he loses all value
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#669 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:21 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Jones is that player the Yankees are going to hype and prospect hug and then he doesn't turn into anything and they probably trade him for a 5th starter after he loses all value

I would laugh at this if it didn't hurt my feelings.

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#670 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:46 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Jones is that player the Yankees are going to hype and prospect hug and then he doesn't turn into anything and they probably trade him for a 5th starter after he loses all value

I'm honestly fine with the prospect hugging. You need some cheap guys, youth is fun, etc. It's just that the Yankees can always sign FAs that don't have pick penalties. You don't need to wait til the deadline to panic and realize your team has holes, and then try to trade for guys that are super overpriced and/or flawed. Seriously, if Jordan Montgomery is out there for cheap at this point, go get him.

We already know what's gonna happen eventually this season. One of Stroman, Cortes or Rodon are going to get hurt or struggle. Clarke Schmidt, if he does well, will run into pitch count issues. If Cole gets hurt, we might be effed. By mid-season, the Yankees will be shrugging their shoulders and saying, "well, we tried but everyone's trying to scam us." Then we'll probably trade for some reclamation project reliever. We'll have to burn Cole in a wild card pitching matchup and resort to some opener strategy in game 2.

Guess what, shytheads...you should have planned for this.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#671 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:56 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:If Cole gets hurt, we might be effed.

"Might be"????? :lol: :-?

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#672 » by knicks94 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:41 am

Wonder if Cashman was the last person to realize that Donaldson's career had long been over way before he decided to announce his retirement.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 706

Post#673 » by Davis18 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:00 am

knicks94 wrote:Wonder if Cashman was the last person to realize that Donaldson's career had long been over way before he decided to announce his retirement.

Just one small sample from long list of bad decisions by Cashman.
Rodon should be nail in the coffin.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#674 » by moocow007 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:56 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Jordan Montgomery…please.

Nvm, let’s keep trading for Athletics pitchers and hope they can survive in New York. Or maybe we can wait til the trade deadline, engage in talks for an ace, and then not pull the trigger.

What's that saying? "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."? Is there a "fool me a third time..." to that saying? :lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#675 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 5, 2024 10:30 pm

Davis18 wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Wonder if Cashman was the last person to realize that Donaldson's career had long been over way before he decided to announce his retirement.

Just one small sample from long list of bad decisions by Cashman.
Rodon should be nail in the coffin.

Brian is teflon.

ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#676 » by ccvle » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:55 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Oh I can definitely see Hal thinking that way, and that's been the problem with the way he's run this organization for the last 15 years - seeking a cheaper/easier way out of situations and ending up with a sub-Yankee-standards product. Having Juan Soto in the building is an honor and privilege, Hal has to get out of his own way on this one - and this is coming from someone who doesn't want to ever deal with Boras clients (despite agreeing with his general theories on player salaries). access to a longterm Juan Soto deal at age 26 is a generational exception to not working with Boras, to me. There is not a single reason for a competently run New York Yankees team to let a likely future HOFer go in his PREPRIME if he's willing to sign here - it doesn't matter who else is on the roster.

As an aside, Jones is a big question mark based on his professional work so far. If he can be the centerpiece to a star trade, than I'd trade him in a heartbeat. I love his profile, and it's easy to get drunk on his other-worldly tools and athleticism - especially when they flash in a viral video of a 470ft bomb - but his overall results have some significant red flags. Despite all the comps, to this point he is decidedly NOT a left-handed Judge.

That is not a fair comment. I also lost my confidence with cashman and boone but it is not fair to say the Yankees are cheap. They have always been top 3 in payroll every year. You can't sign a big contract to fill every single position. The plan was to have the young and cheap players (Greg Bird, Sanchez, Andujar, Fraizer, Severino, Hicks) supplement the superstars (Judge, Stanton, Cole). This is the blueprint that pretty much every team follows. The problem is every single one of those young players didn't work out and even the superstars(Stanton, Rodon) didn't contribute. For this, Cashman is definitely the one ultimately responsible for the results.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#677 » by knicks94 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:13 am

I know I shouldn’t be overreacting over a social media post, but I just think it is rather ridiculous when the official Yankees FB page posts this headline: “Back in the Win Column” after a meaningless Spring Training win. Why not just hand out a trophy to the team who finishes with the best record for the months of February/March while they’re at it?

I really hope that in the next decade the Hal/Cashman era will be over and done with. To go from being an organization who considered it an utter failure to lose in 7 games to the AZ Diamondbacks to being a franchise that celebrates Spring Training victories is a testament of how little this front office cares about building a contender.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,923

Post#678 » by SelbyCobra » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:27 pm

ccvle wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

That is not a fair comment. I also lost my confidence with cashman and boone but it is not fair to say the Yankees are cheap. They have always been top 3 in payroll every year. You can't sign a big contract to fill every single position. The plan was to have the young and cheap players (Greg Bird, Sanchez, Andujar, Fraizer, Severino, Hicks) supplement the superstars (Judge, Stanton, Cole). This is the blueprint that pretty much every team follows. The problem is every single one of those young players didn't work out and even the superstars(Stanton, Rodon) didn't contribute. For this, Cashman is definitely the one ultimately responsible for the results.

It's a completely fair comment. The Yankees under Hal have spent a lot of money for sure AND they've been cheap. They have avoided the top of the true apex of the FA market at almost every turn except Gerritt Cole, but then they've realized mistakes/come up short and backfilled with multiple small/medium money pieces that end up costing almost exactly the same as the stars they passed on, but with less production.

The payroll ends up high, but because they cheap out on the big, obvious pieces, they end up scrambling and spend tons of money on inferior options, bullpen pieces, reclamation projects, etc, as if getting to a certain payroll amount will mean the same production in the end.

So I agree that it's certainly a reflection of the choices Cashman has made - the roster is poorly constructed. But the WHY behind many of these ill-fated moves and directions is the way Hal has these mid market inclinations of being the smartest guy in the room, while clearly not being so. He's a bean counter first and foremost - there's a reason Hal has always said "we don't need to spend X million to build a championship team" in response to why they're not in the running for the best FAs, and why he votes to implement restrictive payroll changes at every opportunity. He's never been interested in being the Dodgers, or even the Mets, for that matter. He's quintessentially conservative, wanting things to remain the same as they were when his family was dominating, despite the modern world evolving and progressing around him.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#679 » by knicks94 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 6:49 am

I'm starting to become convinced that Carlos Rodon is just another guy that cannot emotionally handle New York. See Jeff Weaver, Carl Pavano, AJ Burnett, Sonny Gray and Joey Gallo. Aside from being injury prone he is a major headcase. I believe that it is very important for a player not only to remain healthy, but to have the mental capacity to perform well on the big stage. Rodon has proven that he has none of those qualities.

What bothers me the most is that the Yankees front office does not consider these factors when bringing guys in, but assumes that a player will be a good fit solely based on their latest regular season stats. They wait until such player bombs in the Bronx before realizing that acquiring him was a bad decision.
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,009

Post#680 » by NYKinMIA » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:11 pm

rodon't has look like rodent shyt

Return to New York Knicks