ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

Re: 2023 New York Yankees Thread 

Post#821 » by knicks94 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:08 pm

Looks like DJ will be missing extended time.I did not expect much from him entering the season. Even when healthy he hasn't torn the ball off the cover. Giving a 33 year old a 6 year contract based off one and a half seasons of production was a huge risk that has not paid off.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,661

Post#822 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:27 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Rodon also didn't implode so that's nice. Baby steps. Would have been bad if he had crashed against the Astros.

He didn't implode, but he wasn't exactly good either. You're right in baby steps though. Velocity is there, location wasn't tonight. Limited damage, but labored and couldn't get out of the 5th.

Good win, Cabrera gets POTG along with what's becoming Soto's underrated glove.

I feel like we have to pray every time Rodon starts. :lol: i don't trust him at all, but getting himself out of a pair of dicey situations in the 3rd and 4th is a good sign. Dude looked like he was stressed out there.

Stroman is up today. If we can put Houston into an 0-3 hole to start the season I'll be happy. One thing i can say through 2 games is this line up should be putting pressure on pitchers night in night out as long as we stay healthy
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#823 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:28 pm

knicks94 wrote:Looks like DJ will be missing extended time.I did not expect much from him entering the season. Even when healthy he hasn't torn the ball off the cover. Giving a 33 year old a 6 year contract based off one and a half seasons of production was a huge risk that has not paid off.

Brian Cashman, super genius IQ 4D chessmaster at work

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#824 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:30 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Good Lord, I didn't realize Judge's numbers vs the Astros are that abysmal.

Rodon's got some life in his fastball, but he's having trouble locating pitches. Lucky to be only down 1 at the moment.

Aaaand Soto's hurt, but he's staying in. Gleyber gets hit in the hand and he takes himself out. Damn it.

Astros melting down defensively in the 8th and Cabrera with his 4th hit brings in 2!

Judge SUCKS against the Astros.

That dude Javier is Judge's daddy. I think i heard during the highlights that he was like 0-13 against him or something.

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#825 » by knicks94 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Rodon also didn't implode so that's nice. Baby steps. Would have been bad if he had crashed against the Astros.

He didn't implode, but he wasn't exactly good either. You're right in baby steps though. Velocity is there, location wasn't tonight. Limited damage, but labored and couldn't get out of the 5th.

I feel like we have to pray every time Rodon starts. :lol: i don't trust him at all, but getting himself out of a pair of dicey situations in the 3rd and 4th is a good sign. Dude looked like he was stressed out there.

Stroman is up today. If we can put Houston into an 0-3 hole to start the season I'll be happy. One thing i can say through 2 games is this line up should be putting pressure on pitchers night in night out as long as we stay healthy

I do not understand why we bring players in just because they do well against one of our rivals when there are 29 total teams in baseball we have to worry about. It was extremely stupid of Cashman to trade for Frankie Montas and then sign Rodon just because of their track record against the Astros.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,922

Post#826 » by Rich Rane » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:15 pm

knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

I do not understand why we bring players in just because they do well against one of our rivals when there are 29 total teams in baseball we have to worry about. It was extremely stupid of Cashman to trade for Frankie Montas and then sign Rodon just because of their track record against the Astros.

Montas was one of the biggest names on the market at the time and was 6th in the AL Cy Young vote the year before. He had (has?) solid stuff and was supposed to be a pillar on the backend of the rotation that included Cole, Severino, Montgomery, and Cortes. He couldn't stay healthy and/or couldn't hack it in a Yankees uniform.

One of the only bigger names than Montas on the market at the time? Rodon. So it wasn't just their track record against the Astros. Rodon was a decent pitcher for his first 4 seasons, then injury got him the next 2, then he broke out with 2 All-Star seasons for the White Sox and Giants until injuries got him when he put on a Yankees uniform. I'm still holding out hope for him. Last night showed his stuff is there and hopefully he just needs time over this long season placing it.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#827 » by Rich Rane » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:17 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Good Lord, I didn't realize Judge's numbers vs the Astros are that abysmal.

Rodon's got some life in his fastball, but he's having trouble locating pitches. Lucky to be only down 1 at the moment.

Aaaand Soto's hurt, but he's staying in. Gleyber gets hit in the hand and he takes himself out. Damn it.

Astros melting down defensively in the 8th and Cabrera with his 4th hit brings in 2!

That dude Javier is Judge's daddy. I think i heard during the highlights that he was like 0-13 against him or something.

And it's not just him. I think he's batting under .200 vs the Astros. If he wasn't before last night, he definitely was after.

MrDollarBills wrote:Stroman is up today. If we can put Houston into an 0-3 hole to start the season I'll be happy. One thing i can say through 2 games is this line up should be putting pressure on pitchers night in night out as long as we stay healthy

For the most part, they are and Cabrera to his credit is taking advantage of seeing good pitches at the bottom of the lineup. One thing I don't understand about last night was they had 9 walks in the opener and they did not care at all about working counts on Javier. They either grounded or flied out early or fouled themselves into 2-strike holes.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,860

Post#828 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:27 pm

knicks94 wrote:Looks like DJ will be missing extended time.I did not expect much from him entering the season. Even when healthy he hasn't torn the ball off the cover. Giving a 33 year old a 6 year contract based off one and a half seasons of production was a huge risk that has not paid off.

Another fine contract handed out by Cashman!
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#829 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:27 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

And it's not just him. I think he's batting under .200 vs the Astros. If he wasn't before last night, he definitely was after.

MrDollarBills wrote:Stroman is up today. If we can put Houston into an 0-3 hole to start the season I'll be happy. One thing i can say through 2 games is this line up should be putting pressure on pitchers night in night out as long as we stay healthy

For the most part, they are and Cabrera to his credit is taking advantage of seeing good pitches at the bottom of the lineup. One thing I don't understand about last night was they had 9 walks in the opener and they did not care at all about working counts on Javier. They either grounded or flied out early or fouled themselves into 2-strike holes.

Yeah in the first game i thought they were disciplined at the plate for the most part. Hopefully today they don't get so trigger happy.

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#830 » by knicks94 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:27 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Montas was one of the biggest names on the market at the time and was 6th in the AL Cy Young vote the year before. He had (has?) solid stuff and was supposed to be a pillar on the backend of the rotation that included Cole, Severino, Montgomery, and Cortes. He couldn't stay healthy and/or couldn't hack it in a Yankees uniform.

One of the only bigger names than Montas on the market at the time? Rodon. So it wasn't just their track record against the Astros. Rodon was a decent pitcher for his first 4 seasons, then injury got him the next 2, then he broke out with 2 All-Star seasons for the White Sox and Giants until injuries got him when he put on a Yankees uniform. I'm still holding out hope for him. Last night showed his stuff is there and hopefully he just needs time over this long season placing it.

Montas was a product of the Oakland Colesium, having an atrocious 5.80 ERA on the road during the season that we traded for him. Cashman really dropped the ball by letting Luis Castillo go to the Mariners, but then again this was the same man who didn't want to trade Ivan Nova and Eduardo Nunez for Cliff Lee.

Had Cashman hung on to Jordan Montgomery, instead of foolishly trading him away for a guy in a walking boot, there would have been no need to go after the injury prone Rodon. Signing a headcase with a plethora of injuries throughout his career for a lucrative 160 million dollars was almost as dumb as the Carl Pavano signing.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#831 » by Rich Rane » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:53 pm

knicks94 wrote:Montas was a product of the Oakland Colesium, having an atrocious 5.80 ERA on the road during the season that we traded for him. Cashman really dropped the ball by letting Luis Castillo go to the Mariners, but then again this was the same man who didn't want to trade Ivan Nova and Eduardo Nunez for Cliff Lee.

Montas also pitched a 3.44 ERA on the road the year before in his best season, the reason why he was one of the biggest names on the market. He also pitched relatively well in away games outside of 2020 (8.89, 2.33 in 2019, 3.44 in 2018). Castillo in 2021's Away ERA was 4.87 (4.12 in 2020, 3.88 in 2019, 5.03 in 2018, 2.84 in his rookie season). None of this is to say that Montas was better than Castillo, but if I remember correctly, the Reds wanted both Dominguez and Volpe.

Can't defend the what would be Cliff Lee trade even if he was on an expiring. Amazing that the Yankees were one fractured David Adams ankle or Nova and Nunez for him.

Had Cashman hung on to Jordan Montgomery, instead of foolishly trading him away for a guy in a walking boot, there would have been no need to go after the injury prone Rodon. Signing a headcase with a plethora of injuries throughout his career for a lucrative 160 million dollars was almost as dumb as the Carl Pavano signing.

I was of the mind whether we got Rodon or not, we should've not only kept Montgomery at that trade deadline, but extended him. The rotation going into last season was a mess. It was Cole and Cortes, coming off a great season but it was his first season as a starter), with high injury risk Severino coming off a bounce back season and German, whose ceiling was a 5th starter (amazing how he actually pitched a perfect game last season) and coming off his own shoulder injury.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#832 » by knicks94 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:53 pm

Looks like Sevy's legacy will be relegated to the guy that went 33-14 for the Yankees in 2017-18.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#833 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:30 am

Soto is a beast. That's what i was saying. These guys will keep applying pressure in that line up

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,819

Post#834 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:56 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Soto is a beast. That's what i was saying. These guys will keep applying pressure in that line up

The bottom of the lineup is doing well. Cabrera too…apparently he’s been pretty influenced by Soto
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#835 » by knicks94 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:11 am

I have been one of Cashman’s harshest critics, but I got to say that he deserves some credit for loading this lineup with left handed bats after being so righty dependent the past few seasons.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#836 » by Rich Rane » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:10 am

knicks94 wrote:I have been one of Cashman’s harshest critics, but I got to say that he deserves some credit for loading this lineup with left handed bats after being so righty dependent the past few seasons.

I could be wrong, but I think the last time this lineup wasn't so righty dependent was the 2009 World Series team. Damon, Cano, and Gardner were lefties while Texeira, Jorge, and Swisher were switch hitters.

Cash and Hal, in regards to Soto, I know it's only been 3 games so far, but...
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,227

Post#837 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:51 am

YAN-KEES! YAN-KEES! YAN-KEES! YAN-KEES!
Free Palestine
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#838 » by knicks94 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:10 am

Rich Rane wrote:
knicks94 wrote:I have been one of Cashman’s harshest critics, but I got to say that he deserves some credit for loading this lineup with left handed bats after being so righty dependent the past few seasons.

I could be wrong, but I think the last time this lineup wasn't so righty dependent was the 2009 World Series team. Damon, Cano, and Gardner were lefties while Texeira, Jorge, and Swisher were switch hitters.

It really took the front office a while to notice that the Yankees cannot win with a righty dominant lineup, especially playing half their games at Yankee Stadium. Soto would be their best lefty hitting signing since Damon and that was almost 20 years ago.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,819

Post#839 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:44 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:YAN-KEES! YAN-KEES! YAN-KEES! YAN-KEES!

Yo if MDB can become a Knicks fan…
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#840 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:13 pm

Rich Rane wrote:

Hal better stop acting like a bitch!!!!!!

Return to New York Knicks