ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Re: 2023 New York Yankees Thread 

Post#801 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:Everyone ok? Nice win. There's 161 games left. If the playoffs started right now we would win the world series!

I enjoyed this one. It felt good to beat them on opening day. It doesn't mean anything in the long run, but it was fun to watch.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#802 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:18 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:Everyone ok? Nice win. There's 161 games left. If the playoffs started right now we would win the world series!

It's a feel good comeback win against the Astros to start a season of a wide range of expectations. It's okay to enjoy this one.

I enjoy every win. Who doesn't? Baseball signals the beginning of warmer weather and it carries us through until the days get shorter and colder. I'm working up in Rhode Island and a friend was gonna break his TV in the 2nd inning! :lol: It's a long season.

I enjoy being a Yankee fan. It's been 15 years since we won it all. I am beginning to get annoyed. :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#803 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 am

3eePointGoal wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Call should've been confirmed, let alone stand.

It was obvious that he was out to me.

Soto is an animal. Hal better not do what i think he's gonna do in the winter
He'll stay a Yankee

I hope so. I don't trust Hal and Brian.

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#804 » by knicks94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:42 am

Whether this was game 1 or game 161 this game reminded me that this team is simply a carbon copy of every single team that Cashman has built over the past 15 years:

1) An offense that does nothing for the first 4 or 5 innings.
2) Subpar starting pitching that cannot pitch into the 6th.
3) Relief pitching that has to be lights out to give us an opportunity to win.
4) A closer who simply cannot get a save without inheriting base runners.

I really hate to be pessimistic with so many Yankee fans giddy about the start of the season, but does anyone see this team as being any different from the ones that we've been watching post 2009? I don't believe that either Hal or Cashman gives a rat's azz about admitting their flaws and correcting their mistakes for the sake of building a contender.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,394

Post#805 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm

knicks94 wrote:Whether this was game 1 or game 161 this game reminded me that this team is simply a carbon copy of every single team that Cashman has built over the past 15 years:

I really hate to be pessimistic with so many Yankee fans giddy about the start of the season, but does anyone see this team as being any different from the ones that we've been watching post 2009? I don't believe that either Hal or Cashman gives a rat's azz about admitting their flaws and correcting their mistakes for the sake of building a contender.

It's another 85-90 win team, aka "The Modern Yankee Championship"

Actually, that's the optimistic level. They might win 75.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#806 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm

knicks94 wrote:Whether this was game 1 or game 161 this game reminded me that this team is simply a carbon copy of every single team that Cashman has built over the past 15 years:

We haven't had a losing season in 30 years. We have been to and won more WS than any team in the last 30 years. We have probably been in the playoffs more than every team in the league in that span too.

Since 2009? Not as good as the prior 15 years but, what can you do?

Hal is not his father. That's not necessarily a bad thing in some regards but, the passion George had for this team seems to be lost on him. Cashman rode coattails for the first half of his career. He has been pretty bad at some things but, he got us to the playoffs almost every year. Not many teams can say that.

As a lifelong fan, I have to say that nothing will ever be as bad as the decade long stretch of misery from 83-93 basically. That was the absolute worst!! It was a relief when they shut the league down in 94! :lol:

We have made the ALCS 5 times and been in the playoffs almost every year since 2009. That's nothing to sneeze at. It's time to get back to the dance though! I have my doubts about this season but, it is nothing like most other teams go through for decades at a time.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#807 » by knicks94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:

We haven't had a losing season in 30 years. We have been to and won more WS than any team in the last 30 years. We have been in the playoffs more than every team in the league in that span too.

Hal is not his father. That's not necessarily a bad thing in some regards but, the passion George had for this team seems to be lost on him. Cashman rode coattails for the first half of his career. He has been pretty bad at some things but, he got us to the playoffs almost every year. Not many teams can say that.

As a lifelong fan, I have to say that nothing will ever be as bad as the decade long stretch of misery from 83-93 basically. That was the absolute worst!! It was a relief when they shut the league down in 94! :lol:

We have made the ALCS 5 times and been in the playoffs almost every year since 2009. That's nothing to sneeze at. It's time to get back to the dance though! I have my doubts about this season but, it is nothing like most other teams go through for decades at a time.

We've had the best regular season winning percentage since 2004, but in that same time period have 3 less World Series championships than Boston. We also have two less titles than Houston since 2017. Teams like the Dodgers, Giants, Rangers and Royals have made it to the World Series more than once in the last 14 years while we have zero WS appearances.

Everything that we've accomplished from 1993-2009 had little or nothing to do with Hal and Cashman and more to do with GS, Gene Michael and Bob Watson.

As I mentioned in a previous post, nobody has been given an unlimited budget and has produced lesser results than Cashman over these past 14 years. I don't expect the Yankees to be better than Baltimore, Houston or Tampa any time soon. At best they sneak into a 3rd WildCard spot, beat whichever team represents the AL Central in the division series and lose to a more competent opponent in the ALCS.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#808 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 pm

knicks94 wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

We haven't had a losing season in 30 years. We have been to and won more WS than any team in the last 30 years. We have been in the playoffs more than every team in the league in that span too.

We've had the best regular season winning percentage since 2004, but in that same time period have 3 less World Series championships than Boston. We also have two less titles than Houston since 2017. Teams like the Dodgers, Giants, Rangers and Rays have made it to the World Series more than once in the last 14 years while we have zero appearances in the fall classic

Everything that we've accomplished from 1993-2009 had little or nothing to do with Hal and Cashman and more to do with GS, Gene Michael and Bob Watson.

As I mentioned in a previous post, nobody has been given an unlimited budget and has produced lesser results than Cashman over these past 15 years. I don't expect the Yankees to be better than Baltimore, Houston and Tampa any time soon. At best they sneak into a 3rd WildCard spot, beat whichever team represents the AL Central in the division series and lose to a more competent opponent in the ALCS.

Can't win em all. I am content as a Yankee fan. I do not like the way the team has approached things since 2009 but, what can you do? At least we aren't bottom dwelling.

Teams rise and fall all of the time in baseball. Some go decades without winning anything. Some flash in the pan and win some titles. None have the overall success that the Yankees do. So while I don't like what's been going on the last bunch of years, it doesn't weigh on me like the Knicks/Jets do. Decades of suffering with nothing to show for it. At least with the Islanders I had the last great dynasty to celebrate in my lifetime.

The Yankees have more than earned a pass for me. I simply enjoy watching them try to win games that I watch or go to these days. Do I wish we were still dominant like we were from 95-2009? Sure!! Those were the best years ever!! I don't get hung up on that though. We are not rotting in the cellar so, I can at least watch knowing we could win most games. That's all I need honestly. They have fulfilled my wishes a fan with something like 9 out of 13 WS in my lifetime. From the 70s Bronx is on fire years to the core four years what more could a fan want? We ain't the Cubs/Red Sox/Indians fans!!!

Even when we were bad in the 80s we had HOFers duking it out for the batting title on last place teams! :lol: SEVERAL No hitters and perfect games!! It has always been entertaining for me. I want to win it all again but, it just doesn't bother me when we don't. It's such a long season of almost daily entertainment and fun most of the time. The boys of summer!! I truly appreciate this team for what it has always been...a winner. No other teams has done the things this team has.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#809 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 pm

Honestly the thing about baseball I gotta remind myself about is that it's a long ass season. Ups and downs, injuries, etc. We'll go on win streaks and losing streaks. 162 games...shyt happens.

I wish the FO saw it that way too, cause I'm not sure how they made this assumption that all 5 of our starting pitchers, oops, I mean all 4 of our starting pitchers (without our ace) are going to remain healthy and good and reliable this whole season.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,394

Post#810 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 pm

Mediocrity. It's not just a goal, it's a lifestyle.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#811 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:

We haven't had a losing season in 30 years. We have been to and won more WS than any team in the last 30 years. We have probably been in the playoffs more than every team in the league in that span too.

As a member of the spoiled Yankee fans who grew up in the 90s faction, I think you’re right. Compared to other clubs, we have it good.

My one counter point, as a spoiled brat, is that Hal and Brian shouldn't get a pass for having a nearly 300m payroll for a team that probably doesn't win 90 games. That's just horrible management.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#812 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Scumbag Astros.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#813 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

As a member of the spoiled Yankee fans who grew up in the 90s faction, I think you’re right. Compared to other clubs, we have it good.

My one counter point, as a spoiled brat, is that Hal and Brian shouldn't get a pass for having a nearly 300m payroll for a team that probably doesn't win 90 games. That's just horrible management.

I don't give anyone a pass as far as the business side of things. They have missed plenty of opportunities and Cashman has been abysmal at a lot of things. The money thing is because of Oakland moneyball/Tampa. I get it. Then we need to find the players they do!! I just know it could be much worse because I lived through the 80s disaster after disaster. It was a lot of money spent and a lot of misery!! After the 2000 WS we spent a ton and it didn't matter. We didn't buy any rings. Made a couple WS and lost.

2009 was last hoorah for the core 4 remains. Cashman has failed to deliver the equivalent of a once in a lifetime roster that he has nothing to do with in the first place. Oops. Time for a change? Most would say yes but, he did keep us relevant most of his years in charge and we did win a WS. So I extend a little credit for not being the worst. :lol:
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,827

Post#814 » by Rich Rane » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:16 am

Good Lord, I didn't realize Judge's numbers vs the Astros are that abysmal.

Rodon's got some life in his fastball, but he's having trouble locating pitches. Lucky to be only down 1 at the moment.

Aaaand Soto's hurt, but he's staying in. Gleyber gets hit in the hand and he takes himself out. Damn it.

Astros melting down defensively in the 8th and Cabrera with his 4th hit brings in 2!

Judge SUCKS against the Astros.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#815 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:11 am

Man I am loving the way we're killing the Astros...and the fact that they look incompetent!
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#816 » by knickabocker88 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:17 am

Extend him now, throw the half billy at him and don't **** around.

Haven't had a professional hitter like him in forever
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#817 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:27 am

Rodon also didn't implode so that's nice. Baby steps. Would have been bad if he had crashed against the Astros.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,827

Post#818 » by Rich Rane » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:40 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:Rodon also didn't implode so that's nice. Baby steps. Would have been bad if he had crashed against the Astros.

He didn't implode, but he wasn't exactly good either. You're right in baby steps though. Velocity is there, location wasn't tonight. Limited damage, but labored and couldn't get out of the 5th.

Good win, Cabrera gets POTG along with what's becoming Soto's underrated glove.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#819 » by knicks94 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:39 am

Wouldn't be surprised if Boone rests Soto or Cabrera in the final game of this series.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,012

Post#820 » by blue and orange » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:15 pm

With the Yankees it’s a standard of excellence by the fans and our organization had those same standards it’s not just championship or bust expectations. Yes the organization does care about winning but it doesn’t feel like they are willing to go that extra mile to win a championship while asking the average fan to spend an exorbitant amount money to watch them play.

Losing and falling short in postseason even having a bad season is one thing but to continue making excuses is another. Even if you just said something along the lines of “our season is unacceptable we need to be better as an organization”, that would sound far better because it shows your taking responsibility.

Wont get my hopes up, gotta see where this team is by June as a measuring stick. It’s good to see them play fundamental baseball that means more to me then a team hitting hrs, of course you take the hrs when they come.

Return to New York Knicks