ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Re: 2023 New York Yankees Thread 

Post#721 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:14 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:lol what a **** joke

Yankees offered him $150 million+/5 or 6 years. Even if he has another great year, he'll be 32 when he opts out next year. It's still possible he gets the same short type of offers and regret turning down the Yankees earlier this offseason.

150M over 6 vs 62m over 2?

I would take 62m over 2. Let me get that money now and see what happens next offseason.

So why couldn't we do that? Is cashman that **** washed up that he doesn't know how to structure contracts or negotiate anymore.... purge this entire **** front office
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#722 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:25 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Yankees offered him $150 million+/5 or 6 years. Even if he has another great year, he'll be 32 when he opts out next year. It's still possible he gets the same short type of offers and regret turning down the Yankees earlier this offseason.

I would take 62m over 2. Let me get that money now and see what happens next offseason.

So why couldn't we do that? Is cashman that **** washed up that he doesn't know how to structure contracts or negotiate anymore.... purge this entire **** front office
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,827

Post#723 » by Rich Rane » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:45 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

To be fair, the contract he signed has an opt out next season. He could have a great year in Oracle Park, but again he'll be 32. Or he could opt in and be a free agent at 33. Who's committing longterm then and at the $270 million/9 years he originally wanted this offseason? He has two Cy Youngs, but he's got a career full of injuries and even during last year's Cy Young season, he led the league in walks, something not new to his game. Sooner or later, those runners would come back to bite him and had he signed here, quite possibly bite the Yankees.

I'll admit, I was ABSOLUTELY hesitant when the Yankees offered him that contract so even with Cole hurt, I'm not too angry at losing out on him so that could be clouding my judgment here. I'm guessing a lot of other teams were as well. As for the Giants, they have to hope he could get himself ready less than a week before opening day and hope he doesn't get himself hurt doing so.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,914

Post#724 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:18 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

It is the luxury tax. Tack on like what, 20% to that 65m? Hal isn't paying that.

Looking back, Brian Cashman had the 2nd highest payroll in MLB last year at 278m to secure an 82 win season.

We're now at 290m+

Bad management has serious consequences.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#725 » by knicks94 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:20 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

It is the luxury tax. Tack on like what, 20% to that 65m? Hal isn't paying that.

Looking back, Brian Cashman had the 2nd highest payroll in MLB last year at 278m to secure an 82 win season.

We're now at 290m+

Bad management has serious consequences.

No GM in the past 26 years has been handed over an unlimited amount of resources the way that Cashman has and has gotten the least amount of bang for their buck.

Being completely honest, I do not even think Cashman is even on a fixed contract, as Hal continues to employ him despite how terrible he is at making decisions.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#726 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

To be fair, the contract he signed has an opt out next season. He could have a great year in Oracle Park, but again he'll be 32. Or he could opt in and be a free agent at 33. Who's committing longterm then and at the $270 million/9 years he originally wanted this offseason? He has two Cy Youngs, but he's got a career full of injuries and even during last year's Cy Young season, he led the league in walks, something not new to his game. Sooner or later, those runners would come back to bite him and had he signed here, quite possibly bite the Yankees.

I'll admit, I was ABSOLUTELY hesitant when the Yankees offered him that contract so even with Cole hurt, I'm not too angry at losing out on him so that could be clouding my judgment here. I'm guessing a lot of other teams were as well. As for the Giants, they have to hope he could get himself ready less than a week before opening day and hope he doesn't get himself hurt doing so.

Yep.

I'm not mad at all that the team missed out on him regardless of Cole, but this just points back to the team being mismanaged. We can't even go out and make a signing like this because it's gonna cost like 3x the contract itself.

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#727 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yep.

I'm not mad at all that the team missed out on him regardless of Cole, but this just points back to the team being mismanaged. We can't even go out and make a signing like this because it's gonna cost like 3x the contract itself.

The thing is, though, they were worried about the cost and the draft pick and the bonus pool money. That’s fine. I can understand the pick and international pool money - Yankees should be playing the prospect game and analytics game too.

However, money? That’s our competitive advantage. We’re not the Pirates, Rays, and Red Sox. We should own that. I’d feel more sympathetic if Hal wasn’t voting for more stringent cap rules at every turn. The man handicaps his own advantages by voting for these rules and then starts complaining about cost.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#728 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:56 am

So, what's this about Ohtani wiring 4.5m to an offshore bookie?????

:o

Davis18
Senior
And1: 706

Post#729 » by Davis18 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:58 am

We may have dodged a bullet on Yamamoto.
I wanna see Spencer Jones on CF this summer.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,400

Post#730 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:34 pm

Yankees and Montgomery have "reopened negotiations" as Cashman, master of the "fake hustle", does performative GM like stuff for the media and fans, but no actual good pitchers will be signed/acquired.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#731 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:14 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Yankees and Montgomery have "reopened negotiations" as Cashman, master of the "fake hustle", does performative GM like stuff for the media and fans, but no actual good pitchers will be signed/acquired.

Man my mood as I read your post went from ecstatic to crushed in the span of a few seconds. I've been talking about Montgomery forever haha.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,400

Post#732 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:27 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Yankees and Montgomery have "reopened negotiations" as Cashman, master of the "fake hustle", does performative GM like stuff for the media and fans, but no actual good pitchers will be signed/acquired.

Man my mood as I read your post went from ecstatic to crushed in the span of a few seconds. I've been talking about Montgomery forever haha.

Who knows. They might actually sign him.

I truly doubt it though. It pisses me off it's even being reported. Why? Everyone knows the Yankees are allergic to the tax implications.

Meanwhile, they blow huge amount of $ on not made for NYC guys like Stanton and Rodon. What a joke.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#733 » by knicks94 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:27 pm

I don't know how many of you follow the Yankees on any of their social media platforms, but I find it rather ridiculous that they celebrate meaningless Spring Training wins.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#734 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:11 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:

Who knows. They might actually sign him.

I truly doubt it though. It pisses me off it's even being reported. Why? Everyone knows the Yankees are allergic to the tax implications.

Meanwhile, they blow huge amount of $ on not made for NYC guys like Stanton and Rodon. What a joke.

Brian Cashman is the poster boy for the term "failing upwards".

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#735 » by knicks94 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:18 pm

Once again, shame on all the Yankee fans on social media who have no problem with the organization making a big deal of Spring Training wins instead of setting the standard higher.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#736 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:18 pm

knicks94 wrote:I don't know how many of you follow the Yankees on any of their social media platforms, but I find it rather ridiculous that they celebrate meaningless Spring Training wins.

They’re done with the championship or bust mentality.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,716

Post#737 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:27 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
knicks94 wrote:I don't know how many of you follow the Yankees on any of their social media platforms, but I find it rather ridiculous that they celebrate meaningless Spring Training wins.

They’re done with the championship or bust mentality.

Seems like you guys are missing a leader and some extra talent. If your farm system is looking good, then bide your time. But if it's cobwebs, then it may be time to eat some money and sell off some assets to re-stock the farm.
Free Palestine
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#738 » by knicks94 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:29 pm

Meanwhile, the greatest pitcher of all time Yoshinobu Yamamoto got shelled yesterday.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#739 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:17 pm

knicks94 wrote:Meanwhile, the greatest pitcher of all time Yoshinobu Yamamoto got shelled yesterday.

Not as bad as Ohtani's translator...he's definitely taking the fall
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#740 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:18 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Meanwhile, the greatest pitcher of all time Yoshinobu Yamamoto got shelled yesterday.

Not as bad as Ohtani's translator...he's definitely taking the fall

He's facing the FBI. If he's going to be the fall guy, he's insane.

He implicated Ohtani yesterday, then all of a sudden the Dodgers claim that he stole the money? Alright....

Return to New York Knicks