ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,229

Re: 2023 New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1061 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 pm

BKlutch wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:It looks like John Sterling is about to retire.

Edit: Michael Kay implied that John is not doing well. This is awful news.

He just retired, and doing so after the start of the season means he really isn't well. John may not have been the most modern announcer, but he brought warmth and personality to radio broadcasts for many who listened to the games in the background while having to do other things (homework, housework, eating meals with family while wearing earphones!). I'm sorry he won't be around for the start of what appears to be a promising season. He'll be missed.

It is high.
It is far.
It is gone.

Another thrilla from Godzilla.

Theeeeeeeuuuhhhh Yankeeeeesssssss Wiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn

Yeah John is literally the only voice of the Yankees on the radio that i know. He's definitely an old school announcer but he was always so chill as a personality which made him come off as real cool older dude, he had a comforting voice and when the action does happen, his calls were hype. I'll miss him. Many a summer drive home was spent listening to him call games.

"Well, you know Suzyn..."

I can do a good imitation of John but I never get to use it since most Yankee fans I know don't listen to sports radio (I got that habit from my dad). :lol:

I hope John will be with us for as long as he can.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,404
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#1062 » by BKlutch » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:It looks like John Sterling is about to retire.

Edit: Michael Kay implied that John is not doing well. This is awful news.

He just retired, and doing so after the start of the season means he really isn't well. John may not have been the most modern announcer, but he brought warmth and personality to radio broadcasts for many who listened to the games in the background while having to do other things (homework, housework, eating meals with family while wearing earphones!). I'm sorry he won't be around for the start of what appears to be a promising season. He'll be missed.

It is high.
It is far.
It is gone.

Another thrilla from Godzilla.

Theeeeeeeuuuhhhh Yankeeeeesssssss Wiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn

Yeah John is literally the only voice of the Yankees on the radio that i know. He's definitely an old school announcer but he was always so chill as a personality which made him come off as real cool older dude, he had a comforting voice and when the action does happen, his calls were hype. I'll miss him. Many a summer drive home was spent listening to him call games.

I can do a good imitation of John but I never get to use it since most Yankee fans I know don't listen to sports radio (I got that habit from my dad). :lol:

As a little kid I carried my radio with me wherever I went. When the game got exciting, I had to be careful I didn't walk in front of a car, because I could only pay attention to the game. One day I was walking by a neighbor's home and the the Yankees hit a grand slam to take the lead late in the game. I went crazy jumping up and down, shouting about the Yankees. The neighbor took offense and called my mom to complain about my absolutely intolerable behavior. My mom was cool and told her, "Nah, he's a good kid. It's just the Yankees - so I have to allow that." She wasn't a fan, but she was a fan of my being a fan.

Thanks, Mom.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1063 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:0-11 from Soto, Judge, and Rizzo (2, 3, 4 spots) tonight. Only offense from them was a walk from Soto.

7 walks from Gil is crazy. I don't know how the Yankees only lost by 2.

This was a horrible performance all around. Gil sucks and the last thing we needed was our main guys getting shut down.

It's correct to be disappointed with Gil's performance, but in the end, he only gave up 3 runs (1 of them walked in and another from a wild pitch). 3 runs? This lineup needs to show up to overcome that.

Let's hope it's only because Bassitt has become a sort of Yankees killer. Yankees need to show up tomorrow and keep a division back to below .500.

No you're right. That's not all on Gil. Guys need to be productive at the plate.

I feel like despite our record, the margin for error is so slim. If our 1 through 5 spots are playing like ass our starting pitching as of now isn't strong enough to survive that. This is why Brian and Hal not giving a f*ck about adding another starter irritates me so much.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1064 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm

knicks94 wrote:Only 1 run by the Yankees? Was the leading Cy Young candidate pitching for Toronto?

This team is just way too streaky offensively. Catch them at the right time and they click on all cylinders. Catch them at the wrong time and they sleep walk for 9 innings. As we have seen for years, that just doesn't cut it in October.

Judge hitting sub .200 isn't helping

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1065 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:59 pm

BKlutch wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
BKlutch wrote:He just retired, and doing so after the start of the season means he really isn't well. John may not have been the most modern announcer, but he brought warmth and personality to radio broadcasts for many who listened to the games in the background while having to do other things (homework, housework, eating meals with family while wearing earphones!). I'm sorry he won't be around for the start of what appears to be a promising season. He'll be missed.

As a little kid I carried my radio with me wherever I went. When the game got exciting, I had to be careful I didn't walk in front of a car, because I could only pay attention to the game. One day I was walking by a neighbor's home and the the Yankees hit a grand slam to take the lead late in the game. I went crazy jumping up and down, shouting about the Yankees. The neighbor took offense and called my mom to complain about my absolutely intolerable behavior. My mom was cool and told her, "Nah, he's a good kid. It's just the Yankees - so I have to allow that." She wasn't a fan, but she was a fan of my being a fan.

Thanks, Mom.

That's cool :lol: when I was a kid I had to go to bed early (Caribbean parents...strict af) which meant I couldn't finish watching the games on WPIX (Channel 11 here in New Jersey). I would listen to the games on my radio with headphones in when I was supposed to be sleeping.

That's why John retiring suddenly hurts :cry: I've been listening to him since I was like 8 years old.

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,153

Post#1066 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Only 1 run by the Yankees? Was the leading Cy Young candidate pitching for Toronto?

This team is just way too streaky offensively. Catch them at the right time and they click on all cylinders. Catch them at the wrong time and they sleep walk for 9 innings. As we have seen for years, that just doesn't cut it in October.

Let's hope that it's still him trying to get back into the swing of things and nothing to do with the attention that is going away from him and towards Soto.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1067 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

moocow007 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Let's hope that it's still him trying to get back into the swing of things and nothing to do with the attention that is going away from him and towards Soto.

Nah I think it's purely him trying to get himself going. Judge doesn't seem like he's a loser who would feel threatened by Soto, we're trying to win championships not popularity contests

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,986

Post#1068 » by knicks94 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Nah I think it's purely him trying to get himself going. Judge doesn't seem like he's a loser who would feel threatened by Soto, we're trying to win championships not popularity contests

Did you ever catch the post game interview with him in which he referred to himself as the best player on the team? I think it was from 2022 I believe. It was after the Yankees had a walkoff win. I can't quite remember who their opponent was.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,872

Post#1069 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 pm

Isn’t it 2024?
Free Palestine
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,362

Post#1070 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:57 pm

That happens though. It's baseball...a really good player is going to have one hit every three at-bats. A strong team gets 100 wins, 62 losses. I do feel like our offense has changed a little too...it's not the previous home-run hitter, all righty lineup. We get walks, we get singles, we have better defense. Not even worried about Judge yet. Sometimes he starts slow and gets in funks, but when he gets going, he carries.

I think what I would love is for more consistency in the pitching rotation. We have Cole (may he come back healthy), and then we're holding our breath. That's the shat I'm more scared about in the playoffs: bunch of 4 or 5 inning pitchers, we burn out our bullpen, and by game 7, that opposing team has gotten comfortable with our bullpen. Hoping Rodon can step up.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1071 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 pm

knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Did you ever catch the post game interview with him in which he referred to himself as the best player on the team? I think it was from 2022 I believe. It was after the Yankees had a walkoff win. I can't quite remember who their opponent was.

Yeah I think I recall that.

I dunno man I think Judge is starting slow. He seems to like Soto when you see them interact in the outfield.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1072 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:

That happens though. It's baseball...a really good player is going to have one hit every three at-bats. A strong team gets 100 wins, 62 losses. I do feel like our offense has changed a little too...it's not the previous home-run hitter, all righty lineup. We get walks, we get singles, we have better defense. Not even worried about Judge yet. Sometimes he starts slow and gets in funks, but when he gets going, he carries.

I think what I would love is for more consistency in the pitching rotation. We have Cole (may he come back healthy), and then we're holding our breath. That's the shat I'm more scared about in the playoffs: bunch of 4 or 5 inning pitchers, we burn out our bullpen, and by game 7, that opposing team has gotten comfortable with our bullpen. Hoping Rodon can step up.

This is why we can't really afford not to get anything from the heart of our line up. Dudes can't even get into the bottom of the 4th. If we're not converting these walks and singles into RBIs we're f*cked.

But Hal can't stomach paying tax just to add another starter, so here we are. :roll:

blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,025

Post#1073 » by blue and orange » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:24 pm

Sad to hear about Sterling, driving while listening to wfan, it’s just not the same.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,868

Post#1074 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:18 am

Praying the bottom didn't just fall out on this team's hot start.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,474

Post#1075 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:19 am

Yanks starting their slide into mediocrity.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1076 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 am

Rich Rane wrote:Praying the bottom didn't just fall out on this team's hot start.

Rodon lasted 4 innings and Judge isn't hitting :-?

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1077 » by knicks94 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:47 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Yanks starting their slide into mediocrity.

Baseball has to be the most flukish sport that I can imagine with mediocre teams playing like contenders and highly talented teams finishing the season in 3rd or 4th place.Just look at how the awful 1992 Yankees started off the season 13-6 or how an 83 win Cardinals team dominated a really good Tigers team in the 2006 World Series. Entering the season I expected the Yankees to play like the team we are witnessing this week. What I did not expect was for them to look like the 1998 Yankees in their first 15 games.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1078 » by knicks94 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:58 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Praying the bottom didn't just fall out on this team's hot start.

Rodon lasted 4 innings and Judge isn't hitting :-?

At what point is it safe to voice out a non positive opinion of Judge without many Yankee fans across the internet going on the defensive? Never have I seen him have this awful of a start to a baseball season. Is he experiencing the Giancarlo effect of physically deteriorating in his early 30's? I appreciate the man for what he's accomplished, but if he continues playing like this for the next few months it will be a great concern. I might be overreacting, but this is starting to give me flash backs of Don Mattingly going the second half of his career being a shell of his former self.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,868

Post#1079 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:23 pm

Torres strikes out on three pitches with the bases loaded to end the 1st. Would not blame anyone if they said they saw that coming. Judge striking out earlier didn't help either.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1080 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 pm

Stanton might just have saved our asses.

Return to New York Knicks