ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,323

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#501 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Did I say, or did I not say, “More Butto”?

Credit where credit is due. Butto pitched a gem.

Next series against the Dodgers. Lets see if the winning continues.

Quintana next, then Butto then Severino, The day off means 6 days rest for the starters and a rested pen.

3 against LA
3 against SF (Conforto & WIlmer - remember when Wilmer was a met? Feels like forever ago)

Then a day off and back home vs St. Loui. JDM might join the mets for the St. Louis series.

I was pulling for Zach Short to stick with the team, his righty to go with Baty's lefty at 3rd, but it seems unlikely. 1 for 8 with 4 Ks and Wendle is under guaranteed contract, more versatile in the field and hitting better.

JDM and DJ Stewart platooning at DH should give the Mets a solid combo there, though it'll make them a little more limited defensively.

In other news, the Twins waived Tonkin and the Mets waived Tyler Jay to pick up Tonkin, who they sold to the Twins for cash a week or two ago. I'm not sure Tonkin is better but it seems, the Mets think enough of him to bring him back.

and Julian Teheran signs with the cubs. There's often work to be found for a spot starter in MLB these days and there's a chance he'll go against us when we play Chicago after the St. Louis series.
The Sixers are the bad guys, but they're not the bad guys in a cool way, like Loki or Hanibal Lector. They're more like the zombies in The Walking Dead.

Nobody roots for the Zombies.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,879

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#502 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Did I say, or did I not say, “More Butto”?

Credit where credit is due. Butto pitched a gem.

Next series against the Dodgers. Lets see if the winning continues.

Quintana next, then Butto then Severino, The day off means 6 days rest for the starters and a rested pen.

3 against LA
3 against SF (Conforto & WIlmer - remember when Wilmer was a met? Feels like forever ago)

Then a day off and back home vs St. Loui. JDM might join the mets for the St. Louis series.

I was pulling for Zach Short to stick with the team, his righty to go with Baty's lefty at 3rd, but it seems unlikely. 1 for 8 with 4 Ks and Wendle is under guaranteed contract, more versatile in the field and hitting better.

JDM and DJ Stewart platooning at DH should give the Mets a solid combo there, though it'll make them a little more limited defensively.

In other news, the Twins waived Tonkin and the Mets waived Tyler Jay to pick up Tonkin, who they sold to the Twins for cash a week or two ago. I'm not sure Tonkin is better but it seems, the Mets think enough of him to bring him back.

and Julian Teheran signs with the cubs. There's often work to be found for a spot starter in MLB these days and there's a chance he'll go against us when we play Chicago after the St. Louis series.

I believe that Finklestein said that the Dodgers are coming off losing two series in a row and got swept by the Nationals!!! Of course, this probably means that they're ready to turn things around against us. :noway:

Looking forward to seeing what Butto can do against the Dodgers.

Also, Finklestein gave a report about how Severino worked on his rising fastball which, apparently, he never had or needed. But he gave up too many HRs last season and he needed a pitch to set off his sinker. It's a fascinating report. Check it out.

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19) 

Post#503 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:57 pm

Yamamoto On the mound tonight for the Dodgers. Manaea who is very familiar their lineup, the s pitching for the Mets.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#504 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:31 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Yamamoto On the mound tonight for the Dodgers. Manaea who is very familiar their lineup, the s pitching for the Mets.

Yama's been good so far. Good K rate, low walk rate, good WHIP. 4 innings per start is low and his homers raise his ERA, but solid start.

In other news, Mets send down Hartwig to AAA (he has options) to make room for the recently picked up Tonkin (who doesn't). This musical relivers they keep playing cracks me up.

and for those following the minors, the Canadian Cannon Calvin Ziegler, who missed last season, will miss the rest of this season. He pitched 2 innings the other day and is now scheduled for Tommy John.
The Sixers are the bad guys, but they're not the bad guys in a cool way, like Loki or Hanibal Lector. They're more like the zombies in The Walking Dead.

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,129

Post#505 » by Jeffrey » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:42 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Yamamoto On the mound tonight for the Dodgers. Manaea who is very familiar their lineup, the s pitching for the Mets.

Yama's been good so far. Good K rate, low walk rate, good WHIP. 4 innings per start is low and his homers raise his ERA, but solid start.

In other news, Mets send down Hartwig to AAA (he has options) to make room for the recently picked up Tonkin (who doesn't). This musical relivers they keep playing cracks me up.

and for those following the minors, the Canadian Cannon Calvin Ziegler, who missed last season, will miss the rest of this season. He pitched 2 innings the other day and is now scheduled for Tommy John.

Sad to hear about Calvin Ziegler.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#506 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:31 am

Mets beat the Dodgers tonight. Marte continues to rake as does DJ Stewart.
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#507 » by Jeffrey » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets beat the Dodgers tonight. Marte continues to rake as does DJ Stewart.

That's a scary team over there. Geezus I'm so glad we got the first win.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#508 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:32 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets beat the Dodgers tonight. Marte continues to rake as does DJ Stewart.

That's a scary team over there. Geezus I'm so glad we got the first win.

Especially the top of the order
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#509 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:34 pm

Alvarez on the 10 day DL, but expected to be out longer than that. Thumb sprain in his non throwing hand, but still, the glove hand gets a lot of work for a catcher, and thumb sprains can be tricky. Mets will do additional testing and will probably take their time with his return.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Nido is added to the 26. Kolton Ingram dfa'd to make room for Nido on the 40. (I'll say it. I didn't know Kolton Ingram was a met or on the 40).

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#510 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:16 pm

Better to be safe than sorry. Just let it heal. I’ve injured the thumb joint ligaments in both hands. He’ll probably get a cortisone shot into the joint, then he’ll get a thumb splint for it.

Maybe the doctors can make a splint that allows him to hit?
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#511 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:54 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Better to be safe than sorry. Just let it heal. I’ve injured the thumb joint ligaments in both hands. He’ll probably get a cortisone shot into the joint, then he’ll get a thumb splint for it.

And now it's surgery for a tear in the ligiment in the thumb, so out 5 weeks minimum.

I've read some fans saying they don't care if Nido can't hit. They want Nido (better glove) catching more days than Narvaez, who's not exactly a great hiter himself, and a worse defender.

Bad break, but the season is young and other things are going well.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#512 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:55 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Better to be safe than sorry. Just let it heal. I’ve injured the thumb joint ligaments in both hands. He’ll probably get a cortisone shot into the joint, then he’ll get a thumb splint for it.

And now it's surgery for a tear in the ligiment in the thumb, so out 5 weeks minimum.

I've read some fans saying they don't care if Nido can't hit. They want Nido (better glove) catching more days than Narvaez, who's not exactly a great hiter himself, and a worse defender.

Bad break, but the season is young and other things are going well.

Damn. Well, he’ll get the best hand surgeon in the country to do the surgery. Hopefully, getting JD into the lineup will help lessen the pain of losing Alvarez.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#513 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:58 am

I give Quintana about 2-3 more starts but that's it. We have some good minor league pitching talent on the rise and he's on the final year of his contract.

Severino vs. Webb in tomorrow night's game.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#514 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:49 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I give Quintana about 2-3 more starts but that's it. We have some good minor league pitching talent on the rise and he's on the final year of his contract.

He was good last year. I think Houser gets bumped first anyway, perhaps when Megill returns from the injured list, though I'm not sure his timetable.

When Megill returns, I think our 5 starters are Severino, Quintana, Manea, Butto & Megill.

When Senga returns, which won't be until his 60 day DL stint is up, then . . . who knows. Too soon to say.

Scott probably gets a look this year too, though he's on an innings limit and not currently on the 40. But for now, I think only Houser is at risk of being bumped to the pen.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#515 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:38 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I give Quintana about 2-3 more starts but that's it. We have some good minor league pitching talent on the rise and he's on the final year of his contract.

He was good last year. I think Houser gets bumped first anyway, perhaps when Megill returns from the injured list, though I'm not sure his timetable.

When Megill returns, I think our 5 starters are Severino, Quintana, Manea, Butto & Megill.

When Senga returns, which won't be until his 60 day DL stint is up, then . . . who knows. Too soon to say.

Scott probably gets a look this year too, though he's on an innings limit and not currently on the 40. But for now, I think only Houser is at risk of being bumped to the pen.

I hope Butto makes it difficult to send him down as I believe he still has options.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#516 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
I hope Butto makes it difficult to send him down as I believe he still has options.

I think Butto is pretty safe on the roster for now. Houser might have 1 more start before he goes to the pen, but time will tell.

JD Martinez will join the team on Friday at home against St. Louis. Short is almost certainly going to be the roster casualty. Mets might have an open roster spot too - not 100% sure, so they might be watching the waiver wire for another pickup, or maybe holding the opening for Scott . . . or both.. They can pick up a guy, then try to outright them to AAA after picking him up.

Manaea needed 101 pitches to get through 4.2 and the Mets starters continue to average below 5 innings per start. The musical bullpen has been quiet for the last couple games, but could pick up again for the homestand. Reed Garrett gave up his first run, but he still looks like a stud this year and pitched 2 innings today. He's a bit of a junkballer, so it's possible that hitters will figure him out, but it's been a great start for a guy who'd been a struggling journeyman the last few years.

The Mets used 22 pitchers in their first 22 days - a team record. They've gone entire years using fewer than 22 pitchers, so this is kind of a new thing, but I think the entire league is using the waiver wire and 40 man roster more creatively than they did a few years ago. If memory serves, the Dodgers started to do this kind of musical pitchers thing a couple years ago and it became a subject for the collective bargaining agreement.

Lindor is above the Mendoza line now. The bad news. Nimmo is below it, but Nimms did have 2 walks and scored 2 runs today. Even when he's got a low batting average he can still be useful.

Butto, Houser & Quintana next against St. Louis.

Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#517 » by Jeffrey » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:31 pm

We all know the Mets have some intriguing prospects all sprinkled in the minors. Here's a non-top 30 prospect that will surely get on the list once it is updated.

Jonah Tong - 36 strikeouts in 18.2 innings

Read on Twitter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#518 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 pm

Jeffrey wrote:We all know the Mets have some intriguing prospects all sprinkled in the minors. Here's a non-top 30 prospect that will surely get on the list once it is updated.

Jonah Tong - 36 strikeouts in 18.2 innings

Read on Twitter

He looks like he's 16 years old.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#519 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 pm

Tong's numbers are crazy. Drafted in 2022, 7th round, roughly slot out of Canada (high school I think, might have been junior college), 18 years old.

Didn't pitch in the minors till 2023, where he pitched 21 innings and walked 22 batters - LOL. 38 Ks and 7.3 hits per 9 so the other numbers were there, but too many walks.

This year, he's assigned to low A and wow. Numbers are almost unfair. They have to promote him to A+ kinda soon I would think. He's also going to be on an innings limit, so they may shut him down after 80-100 innings? Not sure, but there has to be a limit already agreed to.

17.4 Ks and 3.4 hits per 9. 0.00 ERA (1 unearned run). Probably a top 15 prospect for the Mets when the lists are updated.

- -

In other news - Vientos up (Marte on bereavement list), so time will tell how long he stays up. They gave Baty the start today and Vientos might need to wait for a lefty to get the start. I don't see them giving him DH with JD here.

Drew Smith with the (non specified) injury so Nunez gets called up. Smith has some injury history, but this could also be a nothing injury and 10 days rest as a precaution. Time will tell.

Butto struggled yesterday but the start wasn't as bad as it looked. Gave up 4 runs on 2 homers, but also pitched 5.2 innings on 94 pitches, 4 hits, 3 walks. 2 of the hits being homers is what hurt him.

Houser with another bad start today. 4.2 innings, 9 hits (yikes), 6 runs, 2 walks. I think Houser goes to the pen and eagerly awaited Christian Scott will get his start next time around. I think that's the smart play and . . . maybe they give Houser 1 more start, but I think it's bullpen time for him. Game is underway but Mets down 6-0 5th. score some runs please guys. Make it at least a little bit interesting.

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#520 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 pm

#200 by Pete. Mets lose 7-4 and are 13-13.

No team is as good as they look when they're winning and no team is as bad as they look when they're losing. Mets might be an average team.

Pete, Lindor, Nimmo, JD Martinez, Marte (and DJ - platoon player) are mostly above average to good hitters, Lindor is off to a slow start. Nimmo is hitting 210 but he's got 20 walks in 25 games. He's helping.

McNeil looks like an average hitter now, maybe a tick below. At catcher, right now, they've got nothing. Baty looks better this year, but struggling lately. Bader can't hit, though Taylor is hitting well so far.

It's an average lineup, maybe a tick below average, unless a couple guys start to step up.

The pitching could get better with Christian Scott & Senga's eventual return, and the pen has been good so far. Jury is still out on the team overall.

Return to New York Knicks