ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,196

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19) 

Post#521 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 am

1. On Tong, how hard does he throw?

2. I’m done with Houser and Quintana and ready to move on asap.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,383

Post#522 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:1. On Tong, how hard does he throw?

I think you're too hard on Quinny. Agree with you on Houser, though I don't think they should cut him, just move him to the pen, see how he does there.

Your guy "locked on Mets" had someone talk about Tong. Starts talking Tong about 15 minutes. Said he touches 96-97, but the fastball has good movement, he's got a good curve and he's added a slider, so it's a nice combination.

;t=1339s

Puts Sproat over Tidwell (that's the intro)
Talks Hamil & Vasil - about 6 minutes in
Butto - 10 minutes
McClean about 13 minutes
Tong 15 min.

I have no way of knowing how reliable this guy is, he's obviously watched these guys a lot more than I have. But, he likes Sproat, Tidwell, Hamil (not Vasil so much), likes McLean's stuff, though needs to see how he develops, and put Tong #15.

They also talk about Butto. Fly-ball pitchers are going to be homer prone, but Butto has the stuff to stick around.

Christian Scott was the previous video, so he's not talked about in this one. This could be a good collection of young arms.
Uh oh. Somebody needs to call Rick Carlisle a whaaambulance.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#523 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:09 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:1. On Tong, how hard does he throw?

I think you're too hard on Quinny. Agree with you on Houser, though I don't think they should cut him, just move him to the pen, see how he does there.

Your guy "locked on Mets" had someone talk about Tong. Starts talking Tong about 15 minutes. Said he touches 96-97, but the fastball has good movement, he's got a good curve and he's added a slider, so it's a nice combination.

;t=1339s

Puts Sproat over Tidwell (that's the intro)
Talks Hamil & Vasil - about 6 minutes in
Butto - 10 minutes
McClean about 13 minutes
Tong 15 min.

I have no way of knowing how reliable this guy is, he's obviously watched these guys a lot more than I have. But, he likes Sproat, Tidwell, Hamil (not Vasil so much), likes McLean's stuff, though needs to see how he develops, and put Tong #15.

They also talk about Butto. Fly-ball pitchers are going to be homer prone, but Butto has the stuff to stick around.

Christian Scott was the previous video, so he's not talked about in this one. This could be a good collection of young arms.

Okay, Quintana can stay for now. :D Houser can go to the BP but as a long man. Speaking of the BP, I like this kid Nunez that they brought up. He has nice stuff with good movement. Just needs to watch the walks. We have the 2nd best BP in baseball right now. Of course, that can change, but things look good there.
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,206

Post#524 » by Jeffrey » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Tong's numbers are crazy. Drafted in 2022, 7th round, roughly slot out of Canada (high school I think, might have been junior college), 18 years old.

Didn't pitch in the minors till 2023, where he pitched 21 innings and walked 22 batters - LOL. 38 Ks and 7.3 hits per 9 so the other numbers were there, but too many walks.

This year, he's assigned to low A and wow. Numbers are almost unfair. They have to promote him to A+ kinda soon I would think. He's also going to be on an innings limit, so they may shut him down after 80-100 innings? Not sure, but there has to be a limit already agreed to.

17.4 Ks and 3.4 hits per 9. 0.00 ERA (1 unearned run). Probably a top 15 prospect for the Mets when the lists are updated.

- -

In other news - Vientos up (Marte on bereavement list), so time will tell how long he stays up. They gave Baty the start today and Vientos might need to wait for a lefty to get the start. I don't see them giving him DH with JD here.

Drew Smith with the (non specified) injury so Nunez gets called up. Smith has some injury history, but this could also be a nothing injury and 10 days rest as a precaution. Time will tell.

Butto struggled yesterday but the start wasn't as bad as it looked. Gave up 4 runs on 2 homers, but also pitched 5.2 innings on 94 pitches, 4 hits, 3 walks. 2 of the hits being homers is what hurt him.

Houser with another bad start today. 4.2 innings, 9 hits (yikes), 6 runs, 2 walks. I think Houser goes to the pen and eagerly awaited Christian Scott will get his start next time around. I think that's the smart play and . . . maybe they give Houser 1 more start, but I think it's bullpen time for him. Game is underway but Mets down 6-0 5th. score some runs please guys. Make it at least a little bit interesting.

You don't think the Mets should give Joey Luchessi a start over Scott?
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,024

Post#525 » by knicks94 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:02 pm

If there is a team that knows how to avoid getting swept it's the Mets.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#526 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:15 pm

Jeffrey wrote:

Me personally, what I think? Hmmm

Truth is, I hadn't considered Luchessi and the Chess master does deserve a start. He's on the 40 already, so no roster move. They should give him a look. He's not been bad.

But Scott is the arm that they dream on, and Scott won't be pitching a full season. Probably gets shut down, maybe around July, or whenever 120 innings happens.

I'm all about giving the guy who's been around 2-3 years a chance, so . . . I don't know what I'd do. It's a tough call. Gun to my head, I'd give it to Scott, just because, he's more exciting.

Would you give the start to Luchessi, assuming Houser gets sent to the pen?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#527 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:Tong's numbers are crazy. Drafted in 2022, 7th round, roughly slot out of Canada (high school I think, might have been junior college), 18 years old.

Didn't pitch in the minors till 2023, where he pitched 21 innings and walked 22 batters - LOL. 38 Ks and 7.3 hits per 9 so the other numbers were there, but too many walks.

This year, he's assigned to low A and wow. Numbers are almost unfair. They have to promote him to A+ kinda soon I would think. He's also going to be on an innings limit, so they may shut him down after 80-100 innings? Not sure, but there has to be a limit already agreed to.

17.4 Ks and 3.4 hits per 9. 0.00 ERA (1 unearned run). Probably a top 15 prospect for the Mets when the lists are updated.

- -

In other news - Vientos up (Marte on bereavement list), so time will tell how long he stays up. They gave Baty the start today and Vientos might need to wait for a lefty to get the start. I don't see them giving him DH with JD here.

Drew Smith with the (non specified) injury so Nunez gets called up. Smith has some injury history, but this could also be a nothing injury and 10 days rest as a precaution. Time will tell.

Butto struggled yesterday but the start wasn't as bad as it looked. Gave up 4 runs on 2 homers, but also pitched 5.2 innings on 94 pitches, 4 hits, 3 walks. 2 of the hits being homers is what hurt him.

Houser with another bad start today. 4.2 innings, 9 hits (yikes), 6 runs, 2 walks. I think Houser goes to the pen and eagerly awaited Christian Scott will get his start next time around. I think that's the smart play and . . . maybe they give Houser 1 more start, but I think it's bullpen time for him. Game is underway but Mets down 6-0 5th. score some runs please guys. Make it at least a little bit interesting.

Yes, you're right. He should and probably will. It's that damn Finklestein who keeps beating the Christian Scott drum.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#528 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:11 am

Tyler Megill pitched 2 rehab innings for St. Lucie yesterday - struck out every batter he faced. I'm guessing he'll get at least 1 more rehab start before joining the team but he could rejoin the rotation in as little as 9-10 days, that is, if 2 rehab starts are enough. (I don't know what's standard).

That throws a pickle in the who to replace Houser question. Maybe the Mets give Houser 1 more start then wait for Megill.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#529 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:15 pm

Quintana pitched a gem yesterday going 8 innings. Very nice.
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#530 » by Jeffrey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 am

Read on Twitter

We just talked about this kid and he was just promoted to Brooklyn.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#531 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:45 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would’ve liked to have seen his secondary pitches in the video. The one thing that stood out to me was that his fastball appears to be straight as an arrow, i.e. without much movement. It’s tough to see from that angle. Plus, that could’ve been his 4-seam fastball since they were up in the zone. Maybe he has a 2-seamer too?
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#532 » by Jeffrey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:28 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would’ve liked to have seen his secondary pitches in the video. The one thing that stood out to me was that his fastball appears to be straight as an arrow, i.e. without much movement. It’s tough to see from that angle. Plus, that could’ve been his 4-seam fastball since they were up in the zone. Maybe he has a 2-seamer too?

https://metsmerizedonline.com/jonah-tong-promoted-to-high-a-brooklyn/

This is a wonderful article about his repetoire. He has the following:

According to The Athletic‘s Melissa Lockard, Tong’s curveball and fastball are his best pitches. His curveball has a well-above-average spin rate, and his fastball averages around 93 mph now, but inducing a 43.7% whiff rate.

While his velocity seems low, he’s getting an incredible break on his fastball. According to Baseball America, almost every fastball Tong throws gets above 18 inches of IVB (induced vertical break). For reference, anything above 18 is considered a plus pitch. Tong, however, has a handful of pitches in the 20+ range. (See reference image below).
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#533 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:58 am

Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://metsmerizedonline.com/jonah-tong-promoted-to-high-a-brooklyn/

This is a wonderful article about his repetoire. He has the following:

According to The Athletic‘s Melissa Lockard, Tong’s curveball and fastball are his best pitches. His curveball has a well-above-average spin rate, and his fastball averages around 93 mph now, but inducing a 43.7% whiff rate.

While his velocity seems low, he’s getting an incredible break on his fastball. According to Baseball America, almost every fastball Tong throws gets above 18 inches of IVB (induced vertical break). For reference, anything above 18 is considered a plus pitch. Tong, however, has a handful of pitches in the 20+ range. (See reference image below).

Very impressive.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#534 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed May 1, 2024 9:16 pm

Vientos is back down despite having a successful couple of games and a walk-off homer. This was expected as he was Marte's replacement when Marte was on bereavement leave. He almost couldn't have been better going 3 for 7 with a homer and no Ks, but they can't carry 3 DHs and for now, Baty is the regular 3rd baseman, so they just don't have a spot for him.

Maybe if he could play SS or 2nd similar to Wilmer, but he's never played those positions. Joey Wendle can field a bit, so he's the back-up infielder for now.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#535 » by Jeffrey » Thu May 2, 2024 4:37 am

Alright all... here's the top prospects doing so far. Not good for most of our prospects... ouch

1. Jett Williams (AA) - .179/.360/.308
2. Drew Gilbert (AAA) - .240/.321/.360 injured
3. Luisangel Acuna (AAA)- .216/.266/.353
4. Ryan Clifford (A+)- .239/.432/.338
6. Ronny Mauricio (MLB) - Out for Year
7. Colin Houck (A) - .200/.351/.293
8. Marco Vargas (A) - .286/.421/.286
9. Kevin Parada (AA) - .182/.300/.288

5. Christian Scott (AAA) - 3.20 ERA, 25.1 IP, 36K, 0.71 WHIP
10. Blade Tidwell (AA) - 1.69 ERA, 4 G, 2 GS, 21.1 IP, 27K, 0.84 WHIP
11. Mike Vasil (AAA) - 10.91 ERA, 5 GS, 15.2 IP, 12K, 2.43 WHIP
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#536 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu May 2, 2024 10:55 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Alright all... here's the top prospects doing so far. Not good for most of our prospects... ouch

1. Jett Williams (AA) - .179/.360/.308
2. Drew Gilbert (AAA) - .240/.321/.360 injured
3. Luisangel Acuna (AAA)- .216/.266/.353
4. Ryan Clifford (A+)- .239/.432/.338
6. Ronny Mauricio (MLB) - Out for Year
7. Colin Houck (A) - .200/.351/.293
8. Marco Vargas (A) - .286/.421/.286
9. Kevin Parada (AA) - .182/.300/.288

5. Christian Scott (AAA) - 3.20 ERA, 25.1 IP, 36K, 0.71 WHIP
10. Blade Tidwell (AA) - 1.69 ERA, 4 G, 2 GS, 21.1 IP, 27K, 0.84 WHIP
11. Mike Vasil (AAA) - 10.91 ERA, 5 GS, 15.2 IP, 12K, 2.43 WHIP

I'll throw some words out on this.

Jett, 20 years old, first time in AA. Average isn't where you want it, but 8 walks to 5 Ks is good.

Drew - small sample size. The injury is a bigger concern than the numbers. 2nd time in his minor league career he's missed time.

Acuna - take away his 5 for 30 something start, first 9 games his numbers aren't bad. Also, been bit by the low babip bug.

CLifford, like Acuna, slow start. He's hitting 300 if you remove his first 8 games. High babip to go with that 300, but minor league babip sometimes means the guys hit the ball hard.

Houck . . . his first full season. Give him time (though the guys at Amazin Avenue don't like Houck very much . . . but his numbers are wierd. 94 PAs, 16 walks, 28 Ks. I want to give him more time before I judge too harshly.

Vargas - those numbers reflect just 4 games. It's way too soon to look at numbers, but 4 walks in 4 games is nice. Vargas was a tremendous pickup for David Robertson (and we got a catcher prospect too) - crazy lopsided return.

Parada. This one, I don't defend. Parada is struggling both bat and glove at catcher. 23 Ks and 10 walks in 80 plate appearances. I like a high walk rate, but if it goes with a high-K rate, it's not quite as good. Parada's stock is down for sure.

Finally, it was a cold April and Binghamton & Syracuse were probably tough places to hit in 45 degree weather, so . . give them time.

Now the pitchers.

Scott is being called up. He'll get his first major league start in a few days. The ERA is high due to being a bit homer prone, but everything else is wow. Stock is up. He won't get ranked if he stays in the majors, but he'd be a top 50 prospect in baseball today I think.

Tidwell has the walks under control this year and has the mets excited. Might not see majors till 2025, but stock is up.

And Brandon SProat deserves mention. 1.23 ERA, 17 ks, 9 hits 9 walks 14.2 innings. Walks are high, but his stuff has the mets really excited.

It'll be interesting to see if TIdwell and/or SProat break into baseball's top 100 lists this year. I think both have a shot.

- - -

So it's not as bad as you imply, I think. 3 pitchers having their stock rise is good news, and McLean and Tong are getting praise too.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#537 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 2, 2024 11:12 pm

Mets will call up Christian Scott to pitch against the Rays this weekend.

#Finkelstein :lol:

Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#538 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri May 3, 2024 12:07 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets will call up Christian Scott to pitch against the Rays this weekend.

#Finkelstein :lol:

That answers the Scott vs Luchessi question.

Houser went today but wasn't very good. Brooks Raley on the 15 day DL, but could be gone for much longer, maybe the whole year.

I think they had 39 on the roster, so no 40 man roster move, and Scott could just replace Raley or replace the guy who replaced Raley.

Scott getting a start should be fun. Megill & Senga are both working their way back too. Not sure what the rotation will look like in a month.

Senga
Severino
Quintana
Manea
Scott
Butto
Megill . . . 7 starters? That's not going to work, but it's a good problem to have.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#539 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 3, 2024 12:36 am

Marte, Alonso, McNeil, Baty and Narvaez were a combined 1-22 today.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#540 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri May 3, 2024 1:34 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Marte, Alonso, McNeil, Baty and Narvaez were a combined 1-22 today.

Picking 5 out of 9, that can happen. Nimmo & Lindor had good games. Mets hitting overall is basically average. A few are above average, but no studs at the plate. Baty is struggling lately and Narvaez is terrible. Lindor will probably pick things up but below average so far this year. McNeil has been average at the plate for a while. Nobody expected Bader to hit. The lineup could use a boost, even after JD Martinez.

8th in OPS in the NL, 100 team OPS+ (exactly average).

2nd in ERA is impressive though, even if Citifield plays as a pitcher's park, that's still well above average. Replace Houser's 22 earned runs in 23 innings and their pitching looks even better.

Return to New York Knicks