ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,714

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#361 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:05 am

Ryan Clifford

Read on Twitter
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#362 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:27 pm

Went to the day game yesterday with my daughter and 37 of her co-workers and their families. Hodges suite. What a blast! From Ronkonkoma train station to Woodside transfer to Citi Field. 39 people all rocking the same company baseball shirt. It was crazy.

Then they got destroyed!! I have never been to such a lopsided game in my life. They lost 34-3 in a three game stretch. Oooph!
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#363 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:55 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:Went to the day game yesterday with my daughter and 37 of her co-workers and their families. Hodges suite. What a blast! From Ronkonkoma train station to Woodside transfer to Citi Field. 39 people all rocking the same company baseball shirt. It was crazy.

Then they got destroyed!! I have never been to such a lopsided game in my life. They lost 34-3 in a three game stretch. Oooph!

Plenty of time to eat and drink. Did you get to check out the ballpark?
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#364 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:15 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:Went to the day game yesterday with my daughter and 37 of her co-workers and their families. Hodges suite. What a blast! From Ronkonkoma train station to Woodside transfer to Citi Field. 39 people all rocking the same company baseball shirt. It was crazy.

I've been to Citi Field many times. It's a nice stadium.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#365 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:41 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I just like walking the park and spending time on the Shea Bridge. I don't like being cooped up in one spot sandwiched between two people, one of whom I don't know. The last time I was there, some coke head sat next to me acting like a D-head until he realized that his buddy split on him. Thankfully, he went looking for him and never came back.

The time before that, I ended up sitting next to an "extra large person" who liked to man-spread. So it was either sit there with our knees touching, start a fight, or leave. I left and hung out on the Shea Bridge.
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#366 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:36 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I just like walking the park and spending time on the Shea Bridge. I don't like being cooped up in one spot sandwiched between two people, one of whom I don't know. The last time I was there, some coke head sat next to me acting like a D-head until he realized that his buddy split on him. Thankfully, he went looking for him and never came back.

The time before that, I ended up sitting next to an "extra large person" who liked to man-spread. So it was either sit there with our knees touching, start a fight, or leave. I left and hung out on the Shea Bridge.

I am a wanderer myself. Shea Bridge leads to the smoking section. Crossed it several times yesterday. I never stay put at games/concerts.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#367 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:16 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

I am a wanderer myself. Shea Bridge leads to the smoking section. Crossed it several times yesterday. I never stay put at games/concerts.

I was at the Dallas Linsanity game at the Garden. The game was in the 4th quarter and JR (his first game as a Knick) hit a crazy 3 pointer and the crowd erupted. I threw my fist in the air ... but it came down on the Black guy's head in the row below ours. Funny thing is, after Immediately and profusely apologized (which was a weird emotion misdirection for me), he didn't seem to care. I offered to buy him a drink. He politely said "no thanks". Boom.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#368 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:46 pm

RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES! RUMBLE PONIES!
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#369 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:07 pm

1. JD Stewart is en fuego.

2. Mets bring up Ronnie Mauricio and promote Kevin Parada to AA.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#370 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 2, 2023 7:33 pm

Ronnie Mauricio's first MLB AB. A blistering - 117 mph exit velocity (the hardest hit ball by any Met this season) - line drive double to RF.

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#371 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 6, 2023 4:52 am

Vientos now getting his groove on.

It’s also a pleasure to watch Carlos Quintana pitch.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#372 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:48 am

Big news! Mets hire David Stearns.

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#373 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:27 am

Max Scherzer out for the rest of the season!

https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/56729/Max-Scherzer-Out-For-Regular-Season

Texas Rangers right-hander Max Scherzer will miss the rest of the regular season because of a strained muscle in his shoulder, the team announced Wednesday.

Rangers general manager Chris Young said it was unlikely Scherzer would be able to pitch in the postseason if Texas qualifies.

Scherzer has a low-grade strain of his teres major, a muscle that connects the scapula to the humerus.

ESPN.COM
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,978

Post#374 » by Stannis » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:08 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Max Scherzer out for the rest of the season!

Texas Rangers right-hander Max Scherzer will miss the rest of the regular season because of a strained muscle in his shoulder, the team announced Wednesday.

Rangers general manager Chris Young said it was unlikely Scherzer would be able to pitch in the postseason if Texas qualifies.

Scherzer has a low-grade strain of his teres major, a muscle that connects the scapula to the humerus.

ESPN.COM

Would a been funny if we held onto him

See 2 old NY athletes go down for the entire season and some
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#375 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:22 pm

Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Max Scherzer out for the rest of the season!

ESPN.COM

Would a been funny if we held onto him

See 2 old NY athletes go down for the entire season and some

That’s two starting pitchers the Texas Rangers acquired from the Mets who are down for the season. DeGrom being the other one (via free agency).
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#376 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 3, 2023 6:42 pm

Buck’s gone. Who’s next?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#377 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 6, 2023 11:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Buck’s gone. Who’s next?

Eppler's gone. Who's next? :lol:

I'm hoping Stearns can lure Council here.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#378 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:25 am

Mets sign former Yankees pitcher Luis Severino to a one-year contract.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2023/11/29/23981933/mets-news-luis-severino-free-agency-starting-pitcher-rotation-new-york-yankees-citi-field

Also, Astros third basemen Alex Bregman is on the trade market.

Winter Meetings are coming up next week.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,272

Post#379 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:08 pm

Been a quiet season so far.

Manaea is an interesting signing, 28 million guaranteed but he has an opt out after 1 year. He started to put it together last year. He made some adjustments and looked better in September. Started 4 games 24 innings, 2.25 ERA, 3.31 FIP. But 4 games is nothing and September has a lot of meaningless games. Still, might be a sleeper.

I like his chances of being a bounceback player more than I like Severino's.

Mets are kind of going for an 85 win - get lucky and make the wild card season and frankly, that's fine. They made a bid for the Japanese pitcher who chose the Dodgers. I don't expect Cohen to spend 500 million every off-season and if he wants to get under the salary cap and reset the penalty in 2 years, I think that's fine.

Bader isn't worth 10 million but he will improve our outfield defense.

Houser is cheap and a Stearns guy and a respectable 5th starter and Tyron Taylor is solid OF depth. None of these moves are bad and even as an overpay, Bader is helpful. These moves remind me of the Quintana signing last year. He was depth/4th or 5th starter type, not a frontline move and now he's our #2 starter. These moves, taken together, are uninspiring, but individually, each move does fill up the roster and boost the depth and I don't think that's bad. If they're competitive, they can add a player or two at the deadline. If they're not, they can sell.

I'm not a Yankee fan, I don't NEED to make the playoffs every year. I don't mind this.

C: Alvarez / Narvaez
1B: Alonso (No, I don't believe they'll trade him . . . yet)
2B: Looks like McNeil again with the OF signings though this could be a position they look to improve at some point. Wendle will be given time here too.
SS: Lindor
3B: Baty for now but Wendle will be given time and perhaps Vientos as well. Vientos could see time at DH.
LF: DJ Stewart - for now. DJ could also DH a bunch.
CF: Nimmo
RF: Marte (but when Marte misses time Nimmo goes left, DJ to right, Bader to CF)

One of Vientos or Baty will start in AAA.
Bench will be Bader/Taylor in the OF. Wendle in the IF. I think they make one more move for DH. A Justin Turner type. Possibly they still have a few moves to make, either signings or trades.

Rotation:

Senga, Quintana, Manaea, Severino, Houser . . . with a few guys waiting for openings

I don't hate it, but it does feel kind of middle of the road / 81 win team kind of roster. Still, Baseball is a crap shoot. You never know.

Loosing Mauricio hurts. He looked like he could have been our rookie this year like Alvarez was last year. Baty could go either way. Luis Acuna will start the year in AAA but could get a look by mid or late in the year if he performs in AAA.

Some things to wonder

Will McNeil bounce back? He was good in 2022, struggled in 2021 and was mediocre in 2023. Will DJ Stewart repeat. Will one of the kids like Baty step up? Will Quintana and Manaea be legit #2 and #3 starters. A lot has to go right for this year to work, but I think there's a chance. Better than a Jets without Aaron Rodgers chance. There's also a chance they'll be sellers at the trade deadline again.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,272

Post#380 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:59 pm

Not really Mets, but Blake Snell rejected the Yankees 5 year 150 million offer. He's looking for another year and more than 30 million per. What gets it done? 6-200? He's 31, so that's a lot to risk.

Cy Young winner. If Verlander got 3-140 last year and injury risk deGrom got 5-185. Blake at 6-200 feels about right by comparison, but both of those deals were obviously overpays . . .

The Japanese pitcher got 12 years 325 but some of that is deferred and he's 25 and maybe he has an opt out in there too - not sure.

Supposedly Cohen is looking to give shorter deals so I think the 6 years Blake wants is a deal breaker for the Mets right now. It'll be interesting to see what happens with some of the big spending teams looking to not get locked in this off-season and I suspect, teams like the Angels looking to rebuild after losing their star.

I think teams are smart to limit offers to 1 or 2 years for most pitchers, but I'm sure the free agent pitchers won't be happy with that. Still a fair bit of time. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.

Return to New York Knicks