ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,272

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#381 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:55 pm

The international signing period is here. Despite having less money to spend than a lot of teams, the Mets look like they did OK this year, signing the #6 overall prospect and #31 and #41.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-2024-international-prospects-signings#:~:text=The%20Mets%20are%20adding%20several%20heralded%20international%20prospects,%28No.%2031%29%20and%20outfielder%20Edward%20Lantigua%20%28No.%2041%29.

The article has more details - this is the summary of the top 3 signings:

The Mets have also agreed to terms with catcher Yovanny Rodriguez (No. 6), shortstop Yensi Rivas (No. 31) and outfielder Edward Lantigua (No. 41).

Rodriguez has a chance to become the best player in this class, and it’s easy to see why. An advanced catching prospect with some pop and skills, he has the potential to be a star on both sides of the ball. Behind the dish, he shows an advanced defensive approach and scouts rave about his upside.

Specifically, his framing and footwork are advanced for his age and he shows plus arm-strength potential and great hands. Offensively, Rodriguez sprays the ball to all fields with lots of hard contact and loft. He displays good bat-to-ball skills with present power and room to add more as he matures.

The switch-hitting Rivas is one of the most polished hitters in the class, and he can play defense too.

On offense, he has shown the ability to be disciplined at the plate and scarcely strikes out. He has good bat-to-ball skills and has displayed good pull-side power from both sides of the plate. The athletic Rivas sprays the ball to all fields with hard contact.

Lantigua is an evolving player with premier talent and is already one of the most interesting prospects on the international market. The Dominican teen has drawn comparisons to Mariners superstar Julio Rodríguez in terms of size, speed and athleticism. He has a natural feel for hitting with some pop and easy power at the plate. Overall, he shows a good approach when he’s in the batter’s box, handles the fastball well and might end up as a power bat in one of the corner outfield spots.

It's likely these 3 play in the DSL next summer, so we won't see them state side till 2025.

Ranking these players can be a crap-shoot, so I wouldn't read too much into it, though obviously, the higher the ranking the bigger the pay-day.

Here's the similar article from last year. Some of those signings could be seen with the FCL mets this summer, playing along-side high school and some college draft picks.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-2023-international-prospects-signings
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,715

Post#382 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:15 am

Our starting rotation is ... interesting.

I'm hoping that (1) Severino can make a comeback, and (2) Sean Manaea has figured it out. I'm expecting for Senga to continue to pitch like he did in the second half of last season and that Quitana and Doogie Houser pitch reasonably well, stay healthy, and eat up innings.

We still need help in the BP.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#383 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:52 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Not really Mets, but Blake Snell rejected the Yankees 5 year 150 million offer. He's looking for another year and more than 30 million per. What gets it done? 6-200? He's 31, so that's a lot to risk.

Cy Young winner. If Verlander got 3-140 last year and injury risk deGrom got 5-185. Blake at 6-200 feels about right by comparison, but both of those deals were obviously overpays . . .

The Japanese pitcher got 12 years 325 but some of that is deferred and he's 25 and maybe he has an opt out in there too - not sure.

Supposedly Cohen is looking to give shorter deals so I think the 6 years Blake wants is a deal breaker for the Mets right now. It'll be interesting to see what happens with some of the big spending teams looking to not get locked in this off-season and I suspect, teams like the Angels looking to rebuild after losing their star.

I think teams are smart to limit offers to 1 or 2 years for most pitchers, but I'm sure the free agent pitchers won't be happy with that. Still a fair bit of time. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Snell is a huge risk for a big contract. And not sure he fits the Mets current timeline. Absolutely understand going all out for Yamamoto cause he's 25 and would be peaking in a few years when the Mets probably will be back on the contention wagon but Snell will be heading down hill by then.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#384 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:47 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Snell is a huge risk for a big contract. And not sure he fits the Mets current timeline. Absolutely understand going all out for Yamamoto cause he's 25 and would be peaking in a few years when the Mets probably will be back on the contention wagon but Snell will be heading down hill by then.

Out of curiosity, why Snell in particular, or is every 31 year old pitcher a huge risk for a big contract.

I would argue that deGrom and Verlander were bigger risks last year than Snell this year. Granted, they got less money and fewer years than Snell is asking for, but deGrom had a HUGE injury history and Verlander was 40 when the 2023 season started and he missed the 2021 season. By comparison, and maybe that's too low a bar to set, but by comparison, Snell's less of a risk than those two.

Classy.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#385 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:11 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why Snell in particular, or is every 31 year old pitcher a huge risk for a big contract.

I would argue that deGrom and Verlander were bigger risks last year than Snell this year. Granted, they got less money and fewer years than Snell is asking for, but deGrom had a HUGE injury history and Verlander was 40 when the 2023 season started and he missed the 2021 season. By comparison, and maybe that's too low a bar to set, but by comparison, Snell's less of a risk than those two.

It's Snell mostly. DeGrom was kinda already on the perpetual injury wagon by then so yeah that was a big risk for anyone. Verlander might be older but he's proven to be able to handle pressure. As a Yankee fan I've wanted Verlander 3 separate times and each time it's because you know you can depend on him for most big moments where you need an ace like talent to materialize that ace output.

Problem with Snell for me is a combination of concerns. While he has absolute ace like ability, he's not had ace like consistency (and that's putting it kindly). Snell is like a Rodon. The talent is clearly there and he's managed to produce a couple great seasons but for the most part he'll leave you scratching your head and biting your nails wondering who he can't do that regularly.

Now if Snell was still in mis mid 20's then I'd chalk it up to just needing more time to mature. But at 31 and already with 8 years in the league, he is pretty much what he is. A guy that can dominate but doesn't on a regular basis. He's also had injury issues, yes, you can argue may contribute to the lack of consistent dominance. But watching him on the mound I get the vibe that he is not someone that can handle pressure and criticism well. He strikes me as just a more talented version of a Sonny Gray.

If he was going to the Reds or the Royals or the Twins (and the like) then I'd say it's worth the contract being discussed. But for a guy that has sandwiched 2 Cy Young seasons between a lot more seasons where he's average-ish, giving him a big contract like that is a huge risk. And then you add in the NY pressure...
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#386 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:34 pm

moocow007 wrote:
It's Snell mostly. DeGrom was kinda already on the perpetual injury wagon by then so yeah that was a big risk for anyone. Verlander might be older but he's proven to be able to handle pressure. As a Yankee fan I've wanted Verlander 3 separate times and each time it's because you know you can depend on him for most big moments where you need an ace like talent to materialize that ace output.

Problem with Snell for me is a combination of concerns. While he has absolute ace like ability, he's not had ace like consistency (and that's putting it kindly). Snell is like a Rodon. The talent is clearly there and he's managed to produce a couple great seasons but for the most part he'll leave you scratching your head and biting your nails wondering who he can't do that regularly.

Now if Snell was still in mis mid 20's then I'd chalk it up to just needing more time to mature. But at 31 and already with 8 years in the league, he is pretty much what he is. A guy that can dominate but doesn't on a regular basis. He's also had injury issues, yes, you can argue may contribute to the lack of consistent dominance. But watching him on the mound I get the vibe that he is not someone that can handle pressure and criticism well. He strikes me as just a more talented version of a Sonny Gray.

If he was going to the Reds or the Royals or the Twins (and the like) then I'd say it's worth the contract being discussed. But for a guy that has sandwiched 2 Cy Young seasons between a lot more seasons where he's average-ish, giving him a big contract like that is a huge risk. And then you add in the NY pressure...

Sound logic.

He turned down 5-150, so I'm curious what he'll get. Mostly the top free agents seem to get paid, but will any team give him 6-180 or something like that? I don't know if that happens.

Even with health concerns, Correa got 6 years 200 guaranteed from Mini last year. He had a great playoffs, so maybe he's not done. Not a very good season though. The big contracts last year were kind of red flags and a slow free agent signing period so far this off-season. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#387 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:01 am

Mets bring back Ottavino. He opted out of his 6.75 deal, and came back on 1 year 4.5. He said he liked the Mets, but wanted to test the market.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/mets-to-sign-adam-ottavino-2.html

It's a rough year to be a free agent, unless you're one of the top ones.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#388 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:13 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:Mets bring back Ottavino. He opted out of his 6.75 deal, and came back on 1 year 4.5. He said he liked the Mets, but wanted to test the market.

I hear Adam is a good guy. Though I don't know what he was thinking.

Looks like '24 is going to be pretty meh. Maybe some young players will step up.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#389 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:38 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:Mets bring back Ottavino. He opted out of his 6.75 deal, and came back on 1 year 4.5. He said he liked the Mets, but wanted to test the market.

Looks like '24 is going to be pretty meh. Maybe some young players will step up.

Baseball's a crap shoot, so you never know, but I think most people have the Mets coming in maybe 3rd or 4th in the division.

Alonso & Alvarez are above average, though they hit .217 and .209 last year.
McNeil was kind of average last year.
Lindor is very good.
Baty probably gets a look at 3rd base unless they make another move. He didn't look good at all last year.
Nimmo is good.
Marte's a questionmark.
Bader will help their defense
Taylor is probably a fine 4th OF type, won't blow you away, but serviceable, and I think DJ Stewart will get a look at DH along with Vientos. Gilbert could also be a mid-season call-up.

It's a pretty average roster, but if Marte & McNeil bounce back and if Baty steps up, there's a chance, but . . . I don't know if I'd bet on it.

And the pitching is more of the same. Senga was nifty last year, but then there's Quintana, Manea, Severino, Houser, and a fair bit of depth in Peterson, Butto, Megill, Luchesi and a few guys in AAA, so I do like their starting pitcher depth, but the 5 pitcher rotation is iffy.

I don't know.. Probably best not to be optimistic, but I think there's an outside chance that things click.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#390 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:51 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Baseball's a crap shoot, so you never know, but I think most people have the Mets coming in maybe 3rd or 4th in the division.

Alonso & Alvarez are above average, though they hit .217 and .209 last year.
McNeil was kind of average last year.
Lindor is very good.
Baty probably gets a look at 3rd base unless they make another move. He didn't look good at all last year.
Nimmo is good.
Marte's a questionmark.
Bader will help their defense
Taylor is probably a fine 4th OF type, won't blow you away, but serviceable, and I think DJ Stewart will get a look at DH along with Vientos. Gilbert could also be a mid-season call-up.

It's a pretty average roster, but if Marte & McNeil bounce back and if Baty steps up, there's a chance, but . . . I don't know if I'd bet on it.

And the pitching is more of the same. Senga was nifty last year, but then there's Quintana, Manea, Severino, Houser, and a fair bit of depth in Peterson, Butto, Megill, Luchesi and a few guys in AAA, so I do like their starting pitcher depth, but the 5 pitcher rotation is iffy.

I don't know.. Probably best not to be optimistic, but I think there's an outside chance that things click.

Wow, yeah, a lot of things have to go right. I'm thinking somewhere between 77-82 wins.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#391 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:06 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wow, yeah, a lot of things have to go right. I'm thinking somewhere between 77-82 wins.

I think that's a good estimate. I believe in the pitching a bit more than I probably should and I like the starting pitcher depth. I'm thinking 82-85, no playoffs. I don't know what to guess for the trade-deadline.

On the hitting, for example, Nimmo lead the Mets with a .827 OPS - 17th in the National League. The Braves had 2 guys over .990 and 5 guys over .840 The Dodgers had 2 guys over .970 and the Mets, 3 guys over .800 with Nimmo, Alonso & Lindor. Those are 3 good players but none of them had an elite bat last year. All were good. None were elite.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/player/_/players/8/table/batting/sort/OPS/dir/desc

A team can have a very good offense if they have 6 or 7 above average hitters, or 3 or 4 elite ones. Mets aren't there, but who knows. Maybe McNeil bounces back or . . . something else happens. The defense will be better, the bullpen should be better with Diaz.

I don't know, but they have a deep farm system now and if they keep building on that, I think they'll be fine long term.

Classy.
Wingodamus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#392 » by Wingodamus » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:01 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I think that's a good estimate. I believe in the pitching a bit more than I probably should and I like the starting pitcher depth. I'm thinking 82-85, no playoffs. I don't know what to guess for the trade-deadline.

On the hitting, for example, Nimmo lead the Mets with a .827 OPS - 17th in the National League. The Braves had 2 guys over .990 and 5 guys over .840 The Dodgers had 2 guys over .970 and the Mets, 3 guys over .800 with Nimmo, Alonso & Lindor. Those are 3 good players but none of them had an elite bat last year. All were good. None were elite.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/player/_/players/8/table/batting/sort/OPS/dir/desc

A team can have a very good offense if they have 6 or 7 above average hitters, or 3 or 4 elite ones. Mets aren't there, but who knows. Maybe McNeil bounces back or . . . something else happens. The defense will be better, the bullpen should be better with Diaz.

I don't know, but they have a deep farm system now and if they keep building on that, I think they'll be fine long term.

There are a few question marks on offense. What kind of comeback years will McNeil and Marte have, is one. The other is what will we get out of Baty and Vientos?
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,978

Post#393 » by Stannis » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:40 pm

Wingodamus wrote:
There are a few question marks on offense. What kind of comeback years will McNeil and Marte have, is one. The other is what will we get out of Baty and Vientos?

Wingodamus? Could you be more obvious?
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#394 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:46 pm

Stannis wrote:
Wingodamus wrote:

Wingodamus? Could you be more obvious?

Just my opinion ofcource, but I don't mind "obvious" posts.

The problem with Marte is his age. How much does he have left? Was last year's downturn due to injury or a sign of things to come?

Marte had a .340 babip in 2022. .372 in 2021. 319 in 2019 (I don't pay much attention to the silly season in 2020) and a .303 last year. If his babip bounces back he could be OK to even maybe pretty good. It might be the pesimist in me, but I don't see it.

McNeil also worries me. He's struggled at the plate 2 of the last 3 years. His best years may be behind him. But a bounceback from one or both those players is possible.

Gilbert could be a fun spark too, and a potential mid-season callup.

- -

In other news, Justin Turner defined my prediction. After turning down 11.4, he signed for 13 with a possible additional 1.5 in incentives from the Jays. It's still a slow off-season for free agents.

Does anyone know if Cohen is trying to stay below a threshold going into the year? I've been hearing 10 million to spend, which is now 5.25 after Ottavino. Is there a time-frame under which Cohen can get below the luxury tax and have it reset? Or, at least, below the penalty where his pick gets bumped down 10 spots? Does he want to do that?

Classy.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#395 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Just my opinion ofcource, but I don't mind "obvious" posts.

I was referring to his username and possible duplicate account.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#396 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:07 am

Stannis wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:Just my opinion ofcource, but I don't mind "obvious" posts.

Sorry. The post was a little obvious too, but maybe if I spent more time here I'd have caught that. My mistake.

In other news, I don't usually praise players who trash the mets, but Travis' delivery with his answer was just perfect.

Read on Twitter

Classy.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#397 » by Stannis » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:05 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Sorry. The post was a little obvious too, but maybe if I spent more time here I'd have caught that. My mistake.

In other news, I don't usually praise players who trash the mets, but Travis' delivery with his answer was just perfect.

Read on Twitter

Travis D... if he could throw to 2nd, we might have had a chance against the Royals in 2015.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#398 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Feb 1, 2024 12:24 am

Stannis wrote:
Travis D... if he could throw to 2nd, we might have had a chance against the Royals in 2015.

Ouch. That series was closer than the 4-1 final implied. Most of the games were close and the Royals had a good team.

or we could blame Travis. LOL.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#399 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:27 pm

Mets sign lefty bullpen arm Jake Diekman. Deal isn't official and numbers not released yet.

Diekman is pretty inconsistent, terrible start last year, Good finish with the Rays. Has a lot of break on his pitches and tends to walk guys a lot. 5.3 walks per 9 in his career to 7.3 hits per 9. When he limits hits, he's pretty good.

This seems to fit with the Mets approach, signing a lot of guys who have some upside, but are hit or miss, and seems to go with the Stearns approach, let the other team make weak contact and beat them with good fielding.

Diekman is 37, but he's not a power pitcher, so his age might not be a big factor. I'd like to see the numbers, but i think it's a good low risk/solid upside signing overall. Though the walks will probably be frustrating sometimes.

I'm curious if they're done with the Pen or if they'll add another arm or two. The 40 is full, so they'll probably have to cut one of their relief pitchers to add this guy. 23 pitchers on their 40, so they might need to cut 2 or 3 relief pitchers on the roster over the next couple months.

They could still use a DH, unless they plan to role the dice on Vientos/DJ Stewart. Not sure what the plan is there.

Classy.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#400 » by Stannis » Thu Feb 1, 2024 9:13 pm

Can he be our next Jerry Blevins?
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks