ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,978

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#341 » by Stannis » Tue Aug 1, 2023 9:26 pm

Yeah, it's a good thing the Mets changed their state of mind very quick. And I'm honestly surprised they got that much return for pitchers that were age 38, 39, and 40.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#342 » by Stannis » Tue Aug 1, 2023 10:57 pm

mpharris36 wrote:If Ohtani would legit think about coming Cohen will open his checkbook

If what Max said is true, Ohtani will even not think about coming here (even if Cohen opens his checkbook). He wants a championship.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,714

Post#343 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 1, 2023 11:51 pm

Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I’m fine with this move. We’re replenishing a farm system that was devoid of desperately needed talent.

I don't know how good their farm system is... But apparently Drew Gilbert is their #1 prospect. And Ryan Clifford is their #4.

I know they say the NBA trade market is inflated, but damn. Giving up 2 of your best prospects for Verlander.

Same for luisangel acuna for Max.

We bought them by picking up so much of their contracts.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#344 » by Stannis » Tue Aug 1, 2023 11:53 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
I’m fine with this move. We’re replenishing a farm system that was devoid of desperately needed talent.

I don't know how good their farm system is... But apparently Drew Gilbert is their #1 prospect. And Ryan Clifford is their #4.

I know they say the NBA trade market is inflated, but damn. Giving up 2 of your best prospects for Verlander.

Nice. MLB is like soccer now. We can just buy prospects with basically cash :lol: :lol:

Do you know the MLB "CBA" rules? Do the Mets get any kind of penalty for doing this kind of stuff?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#345 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 2, 2023 12:32 am

Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Nice. MLB is like soccer now. We can just buy prospects with basically cash :lol: :lol:

Do you know the MLB "CBA" rules? Do the Mets get any kind of penalty for doing this kind of stuff?

I’m not familiar with the MLB CBA. But I’ve been listening to Locked-on Mets this entire deadline and haven’t heard anything about that. Nada.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#346 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 2, 2023 12:36 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:We bought them by picking up so much of their contracts.

I’m not familiar with the MLB CBA. But I’ve been listening to Locked-on Mets this entire deadline and haven’t heard anything about that. Nada.

Almost feels like a loophole. Let's keep doing it lmao
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#347 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 2, 2023 3:30 am

Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Almost feels like a loophole. Let's keep doing it lmao

:nod:
Free Palestine
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,241

Post#348 » by The Lamma » Wed Aug 2, 2023 6:43 pm

Stannis
RealGM

Post#349 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 2, 2023 6:46 pm

The Lamma wrote:July 30: "We're not having a fire sale."
https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/56466/GM-Mets-Not-Holding-Fire-Sale-Despite-Trades

Aug 1: Fire sale

It's only a fire sale if the likes of Alonso and Lindor get traded.

All the pitchers were 38 and over.

Tommy Pham and Mark Canha 35.

Cohen just bought the Mets a brand new farm system using old vets lol.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#350 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 2, 2023 6:51 pm

If you don't follow baseball as closely, this summarizes the Mets trade deadline pretty well

https://nypost.com/2023/08/02/houston-astros-owner-jim-crane-on-justin-verlander-trade-with-mets/

The Mets sent the Rangers $36 million to land prospect Luisangel Acuna for Scherzer, who went 9-4 with a 4.01 ERA spanning 19 starts with the Mets this year.

After seeing the Scherzer trade, Astros actually reached out to the Mets to see if they were willing to do the same thing for Verlander.

Crane said the Mets’ willingness to eat so much money to trade Scherzer to the Rangers inspired them to reach out and see if Cohen would do the same for Verlander.

The Mets are paying the Astros $35 million through next season, according to The Post’s Jon Heyman.

The option will be split between the teams – $17.5 million each – if the option vests.

Everything to know about the Mets' historic sell-off

After a disappointing season, the Mets are selling off their historically expensive roster.

The Amazins dealt out some big name players before the MLB trade deadline — including now-former co-aces Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer.

Below are the players the Mets have shipped out:
Tommy Pham

The Mets traded the outfielder minutes before the 6 p.m. deadline to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Arizona is sending back 17-year shortstop Jeremy Rodriguez, who has a .751 OPS rookie ball this season.
Justin Verlander

The Mets traded out Verlander, a sure-fire Hall of Fame pitcher, back to his former team, the Houston Astros.

The Amazins reportedly will receive top Astros prospect Drew Gilbert, a Double-A outfielder, and 20-year-old outfielder Ryan Clifford, who owns a .919 OPS through 83 games in Low- and High-A this year.
Max Scherzer

Scherzer, a three-time Cy Young winner that was a co-ace with Verlander, was sold off to the Texas Rangers.

The Mets landed one of the Rangers’ top prospects, Double-A infielder Luisangel Acuña, brother of Braves star Ronald Acuña.
Mark Canha

The veteran outfielder was dealt to the Brewers for Justin Jarvis, a promising 23-year-old pitcher that was ranked No. 12 in the Brewers’ farm system.
David Robertson

The Mets traded closer David Robertson to the Miami Marlins, a move that started off the club’s deadline dismantle.

In exchange for Robertson, who is having another terrific season, the Mets received a pair of minor leaguers, infielder Marco Vargas and catcher Ronald Hernandez, from Miami.
Free Palestine
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,241

Post#351 » by The Lamma » Wed Aug 2, 2023 7:08 pm

Stannis wrote:
https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/56466/GM-Mets-Not-Holding-Fire-Sale-Despite-Trades

Some of the returns are def promising, looks like we did well considering.

I was bummed at first. Earlier in the day ESPN showed that we had 5th best record in the league in the month of July and I was hoping we'd make a push for the wild card. But it makes sense now that the smoke has cleared
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#352 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 3, 2023 6:20 am

The Lamma wrote:
Stannis wrote:

I was bummed at first. Earlier in the day ESPN showed that we had 5th best record in the league in the month of July and I was hoping we'd make a push for the wild card. But it makes sense now that the smoke has cleared

This is a little painful but it's better for the long term health of the franchise. We kinda sucked this season anyhow. Let's give the kids a taste of the big leagues and see what we have going forward. I'd rather watch this kind of baseball compared to banging my head against the wall watching the pre-firesale roster continue to underperform.

We were going to have to "pay the piper" in one of the coming years anyone. A starting rotation centered on Verlander, Scherzer, and Quintana was fool's gold.
Free Palestine
Davis18
Senior
And1: 706

Post#353 » by Davis18 » Thu Aug 3, 2023 7:01 am

Lindor trade and signing was the worst move so far for Cohen.
Team will be a mess when your highest paid player significantly under performs the contract.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#354 » by Stannis » Thu Aug 3, 2023 1:22 pm

Davis18 wrote:Lindor trade and signing was the worst move so far for Cohen.
Team will be a mess when your highest paid player significantly under performs the contract.

Yeah, I don't get this signing at all. I wasn't familiar with Lindor prior to the trade tbh, but I assumed he was putting up like prime Arod numbers with that money lol.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#355 » by Stannis » Thu Aug 3, 2023 1:24 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
The Lamma wrote:
Stannis wrote:

This is a little painful but it's better for the long term health of the franchise. We kinda sucked this season anyhow. Let's give the kids a taste of the big leagues and see what we have going forward. I'd rather watch this kind of baseball compared to banging my head against the wall watching the pre-firesale roster continue to underperform.

We were going to have to "pay the piper" in one of the coming years anyone. A starting rotation centered on Verlander, Scherzer, and Quintana was fool's gold.

I really don't know who is available down the line. But we just traded a bunch of 38 year olds and revamped our farm system.

If the Mets really wanted to, couldn't they clump all these prospects and trade for 1-2 younger stars?

I'm just thinking ahead... like Mets got Verlander and Max because that is who was available. Maybe we will sign FA younger this time. Maybe try to make a trade with all the newly acquired prospects. And make a push and convince Othani (we will have to get some good players prior to trying to convince him obviously).

I know Max snitched on the FO and said they are in "rebuilding mode". But I find it hard to believe Cohen is not going to make a push for the big FAs. They could have told Max that just to make sure he waived his NTC.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#356 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 3, 2023 11:25 pm

Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
The Lamma wrote:

I really don't know who is available down the line. But we just traded a bunch of 38 year olds and revamped our farm system.

If the Mets really wanted to, couldn't they clump all these prospects and trade for 1-2 younger stars?

I'm just thinking ahead... like Mets got Verlander and Max because that is who was available. Maybe we will sign FA younger this time. Maybe try to make a trade with all the newly acquired prospects. And make a push and convince Othani (we will have to get some good players prior to trying to convince him obviously).

I know Max snitched on the FO and said they are in "rebuilding mode". But I find it hard to believe Cohen is not going to make a push for the big FAs. They could have told Max that just to make sure he waived his NTC.

Yes, I expect the Mets to decide which prospects they will dangle to obtain a starting pitcher.

We also could sign Yamamoto and Stroman to improve the starting pitching rotation.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#357 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 4, 2023 1:36 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#358 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 7, 2023 7:36 pm

:D Draft Lottery!!!

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#359 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 8, 2023 12:43 pm

Baty demoted to AAA. Some people thinks it’s due to service time but if you look at the stats, the demotion is well-deserved.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#360 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:34 am

Forget about the Mets. It's all about the Binghamton (NY) Rumble Ponies (yes, that's correct, "Rumble Ponies") where 4 of the Mets top pitching prospects are presently assigned.

Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks