ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,318

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#461 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:23 pm

Not a lot here that most don't already know, but I thouoght it was a pretty good summary of the season for far. Fair and balanced:

https://sports.yahoo.com/5-things-watch-mets-reds-141507815.html
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#462 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:32 pm

Teheran takes Tonkin's spot. No options, so Tonkin is waived.

I'm guessing, JD Martinez, in a few days will bump DJ Stewart. I think DJ has an option, so it'll just be sent to Syracuse. DJ is 0 for 9 with 2 walks and a HBP, but I think they're going to stick with Short's righty bat and defense over DJ as the 2nd DH. DJ was a good for us last year, but I think it might be tough with others competing for DH time.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,785

Post#463 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:36 am

David Stearns just hired a couple of key front office guys. Check it out.

Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#464 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:05 am

Even in the 2 wins, they're not hitting much. Team batting average of .167 and team OPS of .536 They are about league average in walks and steals though, but it can't stay this bad. Maybe it's the cold weather and it's just 6 games, but .167? No hit for 13 consecutive innings by Detroit. Yikes.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#465 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:04 pm

I got this tidbit from Amazin Ave:

Butto was brought up as the 27th man so he's still limited by the rule that players that have been optioned must spend 15 days in the minors. The exception would be if they put another pitcher on the IL but a DFA does not create that exception. This DFA move is how they're adding Teheran to the 40-man roster.

So, Butto was usable in the double header but has to be sent back down. Getting sent down has nothing to do with his outing.

The DL spot for Megill was filled by Reed Garrett, because they needed a bullpen guy.

Garrett replaced Megill
and Teheran replaced Tonkin. (there's a Gulf of Tonkin joke in there somewhere, I just can't think of one)

I don't believe that being called up for the double header triggers the 15 day wait so Butto is available again for his next start in 5 days if they need him. The Mets have Garrett available as a bullpen arm for the next 3 games, figuring he gets a day or two off after his 3 inning performance, so he could be ready to go tonight if needed, certainly tomorrow, where as Butto as a starter would need 5 days rest.

All these rules make roster management feel like chess.

What was the worst off-season move the Mets did? Interestingly it could end up being the rule 5 guy the selected but didn't keep. The Mets like roster flexibility and have never been big on the Rule 5 picks, so they will often pick and trade. That's what the did last December with Justin Slaten.

The problem? Slaten looks like the real deal.

3 games, 3.2 innings, 1 hit. 0 walks, and good stats in the Spring as well. The Redsox are even using him in the closer role some. Granted, I don't think the Redsox are trying to win anything this year, but they seem to like him. It's early but Slaten looks like a keeper.

The mets got a guy who was drafted last year for $50,000, a college senior in 2023 who's not yet pitched in the minors. Ryan Ammons, who they can stash and wait a few years, see if he turns into anything. Still, I'd rather have Slaten. That would have been an interesting gamble and they could have just sent him back if the needed a roster spot, like they did with Darren O'Day some years ago, but that's another story.

Sorry if I write about this too much, but I enjoy the back of the roster moves. It can be affected by simple things like needing a spot starter for a day (and O'Day you might say), and it's mostly not anyone who makes a difference, occasionally it is.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#466 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:20 am

More Butto.

Severino had a decent 5 inning stint where he only gave up 1 run. I'll take that. The bullpen screwed us yesterday. Oh well.

Waiting for JD Martinez to join the team. They'll start hitting eventually. It's only April 7.

I remember when the Colorado Rockies went on a crazy winning streak back in September around '06 or '07, maybe. They won something like 20 out of their their last 25 games to get into the playoffs. I think they even got into, and won, the WS that year. I can't recall stuff when my team isn't involved. :lol:
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#467 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:More Butto.

Severino had a decent 5 inning stint where he only gave up 1 run. I'll take that. The bullpen screwed us yesterday. Oh well.

Waiting for JD Martinez to join the team. They'll start hitting eventually. It's only April 7.

I remember when the Colorado Rockies went on a crazy winning streak back in September around '06 or '07, maybe. They won something like 20 out of their their last 25 games to get into the playoffs. I think they even got into, and won, the WS that year. I can't recall stuff when my team isn't involved. :lol:

I remember that, though I had to look it up. They got the playoffs on the last day of the season - a one and done with the Padres which they won. (one wildcard team back then).

2007 season.

They won 13 of their last 14 to tie Sandiego. Beat Sandiego. Then went 7-0 in the NL playoffs before being spanked by the Redsox in the series. 21 of 22 games was their stretch.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#468 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:59 pm

This is a new twist on the "how old are they really" problem in baseball.

Anthony Baptist, to secure a deal with the Mets, said he was 3 months older than he was. He was too young to sign, and rather than wait 9 months, he said he was 17, so they could discuss a contract.

Baptist was 16, which makes him slightly more interesting as a prospect, but he's still in trouble. Mets have suspended him, though I imagine they want to keep him, so wait and see how this turns out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-prospect-anthony-baptist-suspended-for-lying-about-age-ahead-of-1-100-000-deal/ar-BB1lbbdw?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=bbc8adf7aafc423dacfe76a52121d705&ei=12

Good speed/good walk rate guy. DSL stats are nearly meaningless, and who knows if he'll play for the FCL mets this summer . . . Time will tell.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=baptis000ant

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#469 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:07 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:More Butto.

I remember that, though I had to look it up. They got the playoffs on the last day of the season - a one and done with the Padres which they won. (one wildcard team back then).

2007 season.

They won 13 of their last 14 to tie Sandiego. Beat Sandiego. Then went 7-0 in the NL playoffs before being spanked by the Redsox in the series. 21 of 22 games was their stretch.

Yup. That was it.

2007. That’s when we were up 7.5 games with 17 left to go.

Never forget.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#470 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:22 pm

Manaea at 92 pitches after only 5 innings. It’s going to be in the hands of the bullpen for the next 4.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#471 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:59 pm

Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#472 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:50 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Yup. That was it.

Never forget

That one I'm trying to forget.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#473 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:40 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Yup. That was it.

Never forget

That one I'm trying to forget.

I lived and worked in Philadelphia at the time. We had a large group of Mets and Phillies fans in a bet for a dinner at The Capital Grille. Losers pay. That was a rough dinner.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#474 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:20 pm

The mets traded DFA'd Tonkin for cash, so they got some of that salary back. Maybe most of his salary. No idea how much cash they got.

And today they DFA'd Teheran, so, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but they paid him 2.5 million for 2.2 innings. Nearly a million an inning. They called up Dedniel Nunez, who I think is a reliever, but a bullpen arm is expected when making a pitching roster change.
They'll call up a 5th starter when they need one, probably Butto.

I guess you could say they were giving Teheran a real look and maybe he accepts assignment and works things out in AAA, but if it ends up 2.5 million for 2.2 innings, that's crazy.

Nice game by Nimmo. Nice win last night.

Classy.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,721

Post#475 » by mpharris36 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:21 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:The mets traded DFA'd Tonkin for cash, so they got some of that salary back. Maybe most of his salary. No idea how much cash they got.

And today they DFA'd Teheran, so, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but they paid him 2.5 million for 2.2 innings. Nearly a million an inning. They called up Dedniel Nunez, who I think is a reliever, but a bullpen arm is expected when making a pitching roster change.
They'll call up a 5th starter when they need one, probably Butto.

I guess you could say they were giving Teheran a real look and maybe he accepts assignment and works things out in AAA, but if it ends up 2.5 million for 2.2 innings, that's crazy.

Nice game by Nimmo. Nice win last night.

Read on Twitter
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#476 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:54 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thanks for that. I googled before I posted but I didn't see anything. Make me feel a bit better about Mets management, though they still paid $10.5 million for Bader, but I guess, early in free agent period is full of unknowns.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#477 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:58 pm

Mets DFA Teheran and promote Butto who will most likely stay in the rotation.

More Butto!

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#478 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:55 am

Check out the bite on Christian Scott's slider.

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#479 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 pm

Free Palestine
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,024

Post#480 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:21 pm