ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,271

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#401 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:46 am

Stannis wrote:Can he be our next Jerry Blevins?

No idea. Blevens basically missed his first year, then gave us 2 good years and one so-so year. Diekman strikes me as much more of a hit or miss type. I'm curious what he signed for.

In other news, Spring Invites have been announced:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-top-prospects-get-spring-training-invites/ar-BB1hDr9C

Per MLB.com, the latest invitees included position players like outfielder Drew Gilbert, catcher Tomás Nido, catcher Kevin Parada, catcher Hayden Senger and infielder Jett Williams. On the pitching side, the Mets invited right-handers Dominic Hamel, Eric Orze, Christian Scott and Mike Vasil, along with left-hander Nate Lavender.

and the already signed to minor league deals which includes an invite:

pitchers Kyle Crick, Cam Robinson, Yacksel Rios, Chad Smith, Cole Sulser and Danny Young, catcher Austin Allen, infielders Rylan Bannon, José Iglesias and Yolmer Sánchez, and outfielder Taylor Kohlwey and Trayce Thompson.

I'm a little surprised there aren't more pitchers, but the Mets 40 man roster is pitcher heavy and there's still time to add a few signings.

It's normal to invite a few extra catchers, hence the reason Hayden Senger is among the listed. Austin Allen and Tomas Nido are currently the two options for MLB callup if the Mets need to call up a catcher.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#402 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:53 pm

Mets sign Shintaro Fujinami.

A starter in Japan, was signed by the As last year for 3 million, but struggled big time in a 4 starts (14.40 ERA) and was converted to a reliever, then later traded to the O's His numbers as a reliever weren't awful, but kind of back of the bullpen numbers.

For the A's out of the pen he pitched 33 innings and had a 6.03 ERA but 3.87 FIP. For Baltimore, 29 innings and a 4.85 era and 4.13 FIP. He's 6'6 and he throws hard and he has options remaining, so I think there's enough there that teams would be interested, but Baltimore, who has a lot of young pitchers, cut him. Mets signed him for 3.3 million with incentives that could push it to 4.2

Because he joined the As when he was 28, I think he's avoided the arbitration years, so he's basically a free agent, though he has options remaining and the Mets can send him to AAA if he struggles. Too many walks, but 6'6 and being a hard thrower is fun. I think he'll be fun to watch. He's listed 6'6 and 180 lbs, so he's a stringbean.

Word on the street is, the Mets are done signing pitchers. The only question remaining is whether they'll upgrade the DH spot.

For 3.3 million, this feels like a good gamble to me. There's some upside and while his Japan numbers were mixed, and his best season in Japan was at 21 (in 2015), his returning to being a starter, which he was in Japan might be just barely possible, but I think bullpen is much more likely where he stays.

The mets will probably try to work with him and make some adjustments and time will tell and this is another low cost, short contract, with potential upside, which I applaud the Mets for doing. Keeps things flexible for 2025 and 26.

Diekman apparently has a vesting option in his contract so if he pitches enough innings, his contract becomes guaranteed for 2025, at which time he'll be 38, so I understand the older player wanting the vesting option. I still haven't seen what Diekman signed for.

They'll have to cut 2 guys from the 40 for these 2 moves. Probably pitchers. No idea who those 2 will be.

- -

So Diekman gets 4 million guaranteed in 2025 if he makes 58 starts this year. I'd guess his 2024 deal would be around that much.

So, back of the order / hit or miss relief pitchers get 3-5 million now. Good set up men get 10-11 million. Closers get nearly 20. That's just the economics these days.

Diaz - closer
Ottavino/Raley - 8th inning guys I assume - lefty/righty
Diekman - the other lefty
Fujinami - hardest thrower - will try to "fix him" or 7th inning/potential more than one inning type.
Jorge Lopez - 23 saves and solid numbers in 2022, bad 2023 (3 teams) - another fix it project
Michael Tonkin - decent, not great last year, 80 innings in 45 games, so a bit of a long man.
Drew Smith - if he can get back to who he was 2021/22 - he's probably the setup man. Good stuff. Health issues have hurt him. Mediocre last year with too many walks.
Phil Bickford, another one who struggled in 2023, was better in 2021/22.

That's 9 arms for 8 spots, and potentially 7 spots if Megil or Peterson win an opening day bullpen spot, so it's too many arms right now. I don't know how many of those guys have options, so we could see some movement between now and Opening day, or there's always the chance of injuries and DL, whether real or just convenient timing.

They also have Reid-Foley, but I kind of don't want to count him. 17 innings in the last 2 years. Last year his numbers were just odd. 7.2 innings, 4 hits, 6 walks, 16 Ks. But so small a sample size . . . I just don't know what to predict for him. He was a top 100 project 6 years ago, so maybe there's a chance, but he might also get cut from the roster and passed through waivers with the last 2 signings.

I'm sure nobody wants Peterson out of the pen, but he wasn't any worse than some of the above last year and he's a lefty.

And there's like 5 or 6 others on the 40 man roster, but some of those will be cut to make room for the recent signings. I'll list them in case anyone knows anything about them or wants to make predictions:

Austin Adams (was waived and not picked up, so the hit-batter record setter will start in Syracuse)
Reed Garrett
Grant Hartwig
Max Kranick
Yohan Ramirez
Josh Walker (who I think is more of a starter) and some of those guys will be gone in a week.

That's a lot of names. A lot of projects, iffs, hopes and maybes, but it's a decent collection of potential. I think the Pen could go either way and they also have a few guys in AAA who could be added during the year. Heffner, as pitching coach, has his work cut out for him, but maybe he can work some magic.

Off the 40, AAA options include: Vasil, Hamel, Lavender, Orze, Scott (who they probably see as a potential starter, but he could see bullpen time in 2024), and their mix of starters, again, not sure who has options with Peterson, Megill, Luchessi, and Butto (who has options). I think they want to keep Megil and might carry him in the pen and use him as a spot starter. Peterson and Luchessi are harder to predict and I could see them traded if they're options are gone.

So it's kind of trying to find 7 or 8 good arms from 14 or 15 choices. It might work.

The starting pitchers are set, unless something unexpected happens and the position players are mostly set too, with some hope that the kids will take a step forward.
h
3rd base probably going mostly to Baty and DH split between DJ Stewart and Mark Vientos. and Marte could be in that mix as well depending on his health, his glove and his bat.

The OF will depend on who hits, and Marte's health, with Nimmo in left and the other 2 spots being filled by a mix of Marte, Bader & Taylor, with DJ Stewart possibly in the mix when he's not DHing. A mid-season callup of GIlbert wouldn't surprise me.

I don't hate what the Mets have done this off-season, but there's going to be a lot of mixing and matching to see who wins some of the openings. It would have been nice if they'd added another bat, but maybe giving Vientos & DJ Stewart the DJ spot and Baty 3rd base isn't a bad way to go.

9 days till Pitchers and Catchers (Feb 13).

Adding a brief write-up on a few players including Nate Levander

https://www.nydailynews.com/2024/02/11/mets-director-of-player-development-prospects-spring-training-drew-gilbert-luisangel-acuna/amp/

(too long?)

Classy.
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,240

Post#403 » by The Lamma » Mon Feb 5, 2024 10:46 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Mets sign Shintaro Fujinami.

I rooted for the O's growing up, so tuned in and saw Fujinami pitch several times this past year. This guy is exactly what "Wild Thing" was in the movie Major League. He has killer heat, and hit 102 mph a bunch of times. He'll throw one right down the middle, and the next pitch is so bad the catcher can't even get a glove on it. Juuust a little outside!

IF he can finally settle down, this could be a bargain. I'd say his control did uptick at least a bit as the season wore on, but he's definitely a hot and cold kinda guy. But his stuff is overpowering when he's on.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#404 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:23 am

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#405 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:27 pm

Pitchers and catchers report in 2 days (Feb 14th) - I think I said Feb 13th in a post above. I blame Google.

Fun little writeup on some of the potential call ups this season.

https://www.nydailynews.com/2024/02/11/mets-director-of-player-development-prospects-spring-training-drew-gilbert-luisangel-acuna/amp/

Levander wasn't on my radar. I didn't know he was that close to majors. He's not on the 40, but could be one of the early call-ups if he looks good.

If these guys work out, Acuna, GIlbert, Jett to go along with perhaps Baty, Mauricio, Vientos & Alvarez, the Mets could fill their lineup with a lot of cheap options and get under teh cap for a bit - reseting the penalty. Starting pitchers Scott, Vasil, Hamil, maybe Butto/Megill too, they could find some cheap starters as well. If they're going to spend, having some guys on rookie deals will help.

And in other news, Mets sign Ben Gamel to a minor league deal. Gamel was a regular as recently as 2022. Can play CF, decent walk rate, but he doesn't excell at fielding and is a below average hitter so . . . non roster depth. Depth is never a bad thing.

Gamel (lefty) and Trayce Thompson (righty) are minor league OF depth until they decide Gilbert is ready.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#406 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:25 pm

Wow. Not even old enough to drink, but he looks good. I think we'll see Jett this season. Certainly one to watch this spring.

Read on Twitter

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#407 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:19 am

Mets add another, minor league deal, lefty bat. Injured and struggled in 2023, but prior to that he was a solid bat.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/mets-ji-man-choi-agree-to-minor-league-deal.html

Ji Man Choi. Lefty platoon type. Career .801 OPS vs rhp. 1B/DH, LF in a pinch. Could fill a role on the team if DJ Stewart struggles. Listed as 6'1 260 lbs. He's a big boy.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#408 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:40 am

Surprise Mets prospect makes Fangraphs top 101.

Jeremy Rodriguez, acquired in the Tommy Pham trade.

https://risingapple.com/posts/ny-mets-prospect-surprise-fangraphs-top-101-jeremy-rodriguez

Most lists have JR a lot lower and for good reason. He's just 17 and he's not had a single AB state-side. The Diamondbacks signed him for 1.25 million and swapped him for Tommy Pham at the deadline. Sometimes, trading young DSL players can backfire, like when the Mets traded Endy Rodriguez (who was a bit older at 19 but still hadn't come stateside yet) for Joey Lucchesi. Endy, after joining the Pirates, shot up the charts and made it to MLB last year

After joining the Mets DSL team (Orange not Blue - yes, those are the names), JR hit .422, going 19 for 45 with 11 walks to 4 Ks and 7 steals. He's supposed to have a glove that can stick at SS and a great eye, and should see stateside this year. FCL or low A if they want to push him. He'd be about the youngest player there if they give him a taste of low-A.

The Mets did really well at the trade deadline last year. 3 top 100 prospects on most lists (Acuna, Gilbert & Clifford - Clifford is more fringe top 100) and 3 young kids all in their the Mets top 20. Ronald Hernandez and Marco Vargus from the Marlins for David Robertson, and this guy from the Diamondbacks.

6 nice prospects is a good haul for an off-season sell-off. Am I forgetting anyone?

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#409 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:02 pm

In other Mets news. Lindor bought McNeil the car he promised, when he said he'd buy him a car if McNeil won the MLB batting title in 2022. McNeil won. The car wasn't immediately bought. Lindor at one point said "I never said what kind of car", but he came through in the end.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mcneil-s-39k-bronco-gifted-by-lindor-ultimate-goat-mode-beast/ar-BB1itRTD?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=d75b50207d5f4092b6c1cb60635eb3f1&ei=18

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#410 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:30 am

Mets sign JD Martinez. He was offered 1-14 by the Giants earlier in the off-season but turned it down. Giants pivoted to Jorge Soler and JD didn't get any other offers, till the Mets offered him 1-12, but a lot of the money is deferred. For tax purposes it's closer to 1 year 9, with 10 more added as Tax because Uncle Steve is in the 110% tax bracket.

Still, JD should give us a legit DH. If he's 90% of what he was last year, that would still be a big improvement and a need. 3rd base is still a question. As is Marte's and McNeil's bounce back seasons and I hope to get a bit more from Alvarez. Will DJ Steward repeat or will he be replaced on the roster in a few weeks. Bader was an overpay and I'm not sure he's better than Taylor, but it's good to have extra defense. There are questions, but there's some depth as well.

Gilbert, Jett and Acuna could all get call-ups at some point this year. Vientos now probably starts in AAA but he's in the mix as well.

As for the pitching, I'm not sure what we'll get out of Houser & Megill at the 4/5 spots. Or Manea at the 3 spot. They seem confident in Quintana & Severino and Senga could come back soonish and they have a few arms in AAA. . . . Scott is the hot prospect but he's probably more of a #2/#3 upside type - which is great for a rookie contract.

I think the Bullpen should be above average. There's a fair bit of depth in there. As for the season . . . who knows. I don't even want to guess, but JD Martinez does make us better. This team has a chance to be in the hunt, and a chance to be sellers at the deadline. Whatever happens, they'll be good eventually, even if not this year. A bit of common sense management and Steve's wallet. They'll get there. 73 wins or 88 this year? I could see either outcome.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,713

Post#411 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:32 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:Mets sign JD Martinez. He was offered 1-14 by the Giants earlier in the off-season but turned it down. Giants pivoted to Jorge Soler and JD didn't get any other offers, till the Mets offered him 1-12, but a lot of the money is deferred. For tax purposes it's closer to 1 year 9, with 10 more added as Tax because Uncle Steve is in the 110% tax bracket.

Still, JD should give us a legit DH. If he's 90% of what he was last year, that would still be a big improvement and a need. 3rd base is still a question. As is Marte's and McNeil's bounce back seasons and I hope to get a bit more from Alvarez. Will DJ Steward repeat or will he be replaced on the roster in a few weeks. Bader was an overpay and I'm not sure he's better than Taylor, but it's good to have extra defense. There are questions, but there's some depth as well.

Gilbert, Jett and Acuna could all get call-ups at some point this year. Vientos now probably starts in AAA but he's in the mix as well.

As for the pitching, I'm not sure what we'll get out of Houser & Megill at the 4/5 spots. Or Manea at the 3 spot. They seem confident in Quintana & Severino and Senga could come back soonish and they have a few arms in AAA. . . . Scott is the hot prospect but he's probably more of a #2/#3 upside type - which is great for a rookie contract.

I think the Bullpen should be above average. There's a fair bit of depth in there. As for the season . . . who knows. I don't even want to guess, but JD Martinez does make us better. This team has a chance to be in the hunt, and a chance to be sellers at the deadline. Whatever happens, they'll be good eventually, even if not this year. A bit of common sense management and Steve's wallet. They'll get there. 73 wins or 88 this year? I could see either outcome.

I feel better about the lineup with JD in it. The pitching has looked pretty good this spring. Manea has had a pretty good camp. Severino looks like his old self. Quintana will be fine. The BP looks okay ... we'll see. But we also have some good arms coming up who might be of help later on in the season. So, I'm looking forward to that along with The Ghost's return.

Of course, health always plays a big part in the success/failure of any season. I'm ready! #LFGM
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#412 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:45 am

Some roster moves.

Vientos optioned to AAA. Not surprising when JD was added. This was expected.

Choi is still pushing for DJ Stewart's spot on the bench. No decision made there yet, so far as I know. Zach Short makes the roster for now, but one of those guys will probably get bumped when JD gets added to the 26 man.

They still have too many relievers and will need to make final cuts soon for the remaining spots. Austin Adams was sold to the A's for an undisclosed amount (little bit) of cash. I'm curious if he'll lead the league in HBPs if the As give him innings. That's his specialty.

Half the fun for the first couple months of the season will be watching the guys in AAA. Gilbert, Acuna & Jett, and pitcher Scott are all knocking on the door. Levander is the highest rated, non roster relief pitcher, but Vasil or Hamel could bid for spots in the pen or spot-starts as well. Pretty good amount of depth waiting for their turn.

Classy.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,073

Post#413 » by Jeffrey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:15 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:Mets sign JD Martinez. He was offered 1-14 by the Giants earlier in the off-season but turned it down. Giants pivoted to Jorge Soler and JD didn't get any other offers, till the Mets offered him 1-12, but a lot of the money is deferred. For tax purposes it's closer to 1 year 9, with 10 more added as Tax because Uncle Steve is in the 110% tax bracket.

I feel better about the lineup with JD in it. The pitching has looked pretty good this spring. Manea has had a pretty good camp. Severino looks like his old self. Quintana will be fine. The BP looks okay ... we'll see. But we also have some good arms coming up who might be of help later on in the season. So, I'm looking forward to that along with The Ghost's return.

Of course, health always plays a big part in the success/failure of any season. I'm ready! #LFGM

I loved Stearns did with the bullpen. No long-term deal, every RP can hit 95+ on the gun which is an increase from 92.5 or something like that.

With JD, we have a chance to get into the playoffs. We need to show next year's FA class that we are an up-and-coming team with a good nucleus, a treasure trove of prospects knocking on the door and an owner that wants to spend.

If we lose, we need to blow this up. Trade every piece including Alonso. We have tied up so much money on a core that can't win.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#414 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 am

Jeffrey wrote:
I loved Stearns did with the bullpen. No long-term deal, every RP can hit 95+ on the gun which is an increase from 92.5 or something like that.

With JD, we have a chance to get into the playoffs. We need to show next year's FA class that we are an up-and-coming team with a good nucleus, a treasure trove of prospects knocking on the door and an owner that wants to spend.

If we lose, we need to blow this up. Trade every piece including Alonso. We have tied up so much money on a core that can't win.

I agree, though most of those hard throwers also issue a lot of walks. But I like what he did overall too.

If they lose and are sellers at the deadline, they'll have a LOT of players to sell, if Cohen continues to eat salary, that could bring back an interesting collection of prospects.

Not just Alonso but McNeil too and JD if he hits. Maybe 2 or 3 starting pitchers (I'm betting they keep Senga, but the others could be moved). Some of the Pen. Maybe even Marte.

I'm rooting for a winning season, but another low 70s win season would be interesting for different reasons.

Classy.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,073

Post#415 » by Jeffrey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:58 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

I agree, though most of those hard throwers also issue a lot of walks. But I like what he did overall too.

If they lose and are sellers at the deadline, they'll have a LOT of players to sell, if Cohen continues to eat salary, that could bring back an interesting collection of prospects.

Not just Alonso but McNeil too and JD if he hits. Maybe 2 or 3 starting pitchers (I'm betting they keep Senga, but the others could be moved). Some of the Pen. Maybe even Marte.

I'm rooting for a winning season, but another low 70s win season would be interesting for different reasons.

I'm rooting for an 85+ win season because I want this to be a transition year while we compete. I do believe it will be a lot better, last year pretty much every hitter and pitcher had a down year.

In 2025, I am hoping for Soto at the same time bringing up our young and electric prospects. I think Cohen's only mandate to Eppler and now Stearns is to not sign anyone with QO that will cost draft picks and and international money and of course trading away prospects.

In his last interview, he even quipped that signing pitchers in the FA market is really expensive which I totally agree. Its easier to sign a top tier hitter then a pitcher to a 5+ year contract. It has to be a generational talent for him to do that right? Probably Roki Sasaki?

If things go bad, you are right that we need to blow things up even if some of these players have contracts beyond this season which includes McNeil, Marte and Senga (which I'll be sad but it has to be done). I would even tell Alonso that we're trading him for half a season to bring back prospects and then sign him in the offseason. LOL
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#416 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:58 pm

Mets DFA Bickford. By DFA'ing an arb player before opening day, they only have to pay him 45 days salary, not the full arb amount. (roughly 1/4 of his salary), so about 220K out of his 900 K arb salary. Same thing was done with JD Davis. The giants saved about 5 million in salary by DFAing JDD. He made 2.5 of that back by signing with the As.

I think they have 2 DFAs still to go Might be one, but I think it's 2, unless they find a mystery illness but I don't think they want to repeat that mistake. A trade for a roster player without options is unlikely when a team can basically just pick up that player off waivers by waiting.

By losing a 40 man roster player (Bickford didn't count, he was replaced by JDM), but if/when the Mets lose a roster player or two, that will open a spot for them to pick a player up from waivers from another team, which they've done a fair bit recently. Curious how this will play out. I wouldn't say no to a 3rd baseman if one becomes available on waivers.

Official opening day is tomorrow. 3-28. Movement should happen fairly soon.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#417 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 am

Update on Mets Roster: https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/mets-2024-opening-day-roster

They still have too many players for their 26 man roster. Zach Short was a surprise, but he had a good spring, he's a righty bat to go with Baty's and McNeil's lefty, though a lot of people seem to think he's a placeholder for JD Martinez, I like what Short brings to the lineup. Like Wendle, he's a glove first middle infielder who can play all 3 positions. Wendle might have the edge on defense, though short is still good, and Short draws more walks, and being a righty, is a better fit if he's going to get real playing time. He's also younger. Wendle was pretty good in 2020/2021, but hasn't hit at all since then, so they're not that far apart, and if Zach can get his batting average up to the 240 range, he becomes a useful player with his walk rate. That might be a big if

Wendle was good in spring training too . . . played less, not sure why, but either of these guys could put up a sub 600 OPS this year (Wendle was sub 600 last year, Short was .631), and Baty remains a questionmark, so the Mets could be looking at 3rd base options via trade if they're at all in the hunt this year, or maybe they try the stone-gloved Vientos out there. 3rd base will be a position to watch and perhaps, throw things at your TV screen over this year, but with Zach Short, I think there's a chance he could righty platoon and slap enough hits to raise his average to maybe 235 and be not so bad. (He hit .210 last year).

That guy the Yanks just picked up, Jon Berti, could have been a good fit for the Mets, but they paid a lot to get him. A kid who lead the FCL last year at a young age, John Cruz, so the Yanks paid for Jon, but they got a nice player in return to fill in for their injuries.

All that said, Short could be gone in two weeks and my ramblings could be all for naught. Vientos could fill the role of righty to Baty's lefty in time. It's not good defensively but they might hit OK. Lots of ways the Mets 3rd base situation could work out, and maybe Baty turns the corner (hehe). 3rd base is kind of a historic joke with the Mets, prior to David Wright of course. It's a big question for them this year again.

On the pitcher side of things, (from the article)

Relief pitchers (8): Edwin Díaz, Brooks Raley, Adam Ottavino, Jake Diekman, Jorge López, Drew Smith, Michael Tonkin, Sean Reid-Foley. The headliner here is Díaz, who will return to play after missing all last season recovering from knee surgery. Raley, Ottavino and Smith are also set to reprise their roles from the 2023 bullpen, along with multiple newcomers. Consider the first six names on this list virtual locks to make the Opening Day roster. That leaves two spots for some combination of Tonkin, Reid-Foley and Yohan Ramírez

Bickford was recently DFA'd and Austin Adams sold to the A's, so they have one DFA or trade still to go - not yet announced, though I think the smart money is on SRF being the one DFA'd and Tonkin & Yohan making the team . . . but if they had a crystal ball, I think they could have done without the Adam Ottavino sighning, as whoever of those 3 who get cut will probably be picked up and it'll be interesting to compare them to Otto at the end of the year . . . and maybe I'm being too hard on Otto.

In other news - Mets opener postponed tomorrow, will play the first game on Friday.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,713

Post#418 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

Phillies opener postponed too.

And we’re off to the races. Womp womp.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#419 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

Ji-Man Choi (sp?) accepted a minor league assignment. I think he can still opt out in a couple weeks, but for now, he's still with the team, opening in AAA.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#420 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 pm

Final roster is in. Tonkin and Yohan made the team. SRF (shoulder impingement) - to the DL. He dealt with that injury and missed time in the spring, so this probably won't incur another suspension, but I worry now when the Mets use the DL to stash a player. Many teams do it. Mets got in trouble for doing it last year.

C: Alvarez (r) / Navarez (l)
1B: Pete (r)
2B: McNeil (l)
SS: Lindor (s)
3B: Baty (l)

Infield Bench: Short (r)/Wendle (l)

RF: Marte (r)
CF: Bader (r)
LF: Nimmo (l)

4th: Taylor (r)
5th: DJ Stewart (l)

DH: (for now, DJ Stewart will probably get most. Marte might get some) JD Martinez is probably 7-10 games away from joining the 26.

That's 13 players - which is standard. DJ will probably bump short, unless they decide they like Short, in which case, DJ Stewart has options, or maybe someone goes on the DL. It happens.

Rotation:

Quintana (throws r)
Severino (r) (strong spring - he's one to watch)
Manea (l)
Houser (r)
Megill (r)

Pen

Diaz (r) - closer.
Ottavino (r) - set-up
Raley (l) - set up

The Rest: Diekman (l), Jorge Lopez (r), Yohan ramirez (r), Drew Smith (r), Michael Tonkin (r)

Waiting in the wings::

Ried Foley - DL. (no options)
Senga (No precise timeline, but perhaps will return in May)
Peterson (60 day DL. but should pitch some this year - not sure if it'll be for the Mets)

They've got a fair bit of depth. Like 7 pitchers with options in Syracuse. Lots of non 40-man roster players waiting in the wings. Nate Levander is probably closest, but also Christian Scott, Drew Gilbert, and maybe Jett Williams or Acuna. Acuna is ahead of Jett, but people are very excited about Jett.

in the OF, Taylor & Bader are pretty similar, glove first types. Short and Wendle are also, glove first/weak bat infield types. When JD Martinez comes up, DJ Stewart could platoon with him at DH and that would give the Mets their guy who can hit some off the bench. For now, the bench is all defense.

Go Mets!!!

Classy.

Return to New York Knicks