ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,188

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#441 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:13 am

At least we can't lose tonight. :lol:
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,856

Post#442 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:02 am

Im Coming Home wrote:At least we can't lose tonight. :lol:

I was at the courthouse today to file a document and saw the clerk who has a Mets' banner on his overhead file drawer cover. But when I saw him, I didn't see the banner. :lol: Turns out it's one of those "lift and tuck" covers. When I mentioned that I didn't see his Mets' banner anymore, his coworkers busted out laughing. :lol:
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,062

Post#443 » by Stannis » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:24 am

Any minor leaguers to watch out for this year?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#444 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:29 am

Stannis wrote:Any minor leaguers to watch out for this year?

Oh hella yeah!

You should subscribe to Ryan Finklestein's "Locked On Mets" podcast on iTunes if you have Apple or on YouTube. He's excellent. Here's the one you need to watch to answer your question.

"You're team, everyday!"

Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,319

Post#445 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:How long do we give Baty? If he isn't working out by midseason, they should give Vientos a try.

My guess is mid-may is about as far as they'll wait. He has options. They don't lose anything by sending him down.

Vientos' glove is a concern, so a trade is also an option but whether trade or Vientos, I think Baty has 6 weeks, maybe 7.

How about Acuna to 2B and McNeil to 3B?

Acuna is on the 40, so if McNeil gets injured, he has a good chance of being called up, but I don't think they'll move McNeil to third and call him up early. It's too soon.

Acuna struggled for the mets in AA last year (hit well before the trade in AA) and he's only had like 4 games in AAA. Pretty much any scout in baseball would say it's too soon for Acuna. That he should get a few months in AAA minimum.

But could they try this later this year or next year? I don't have any real knowledge, but I don't think the Mets want to move McNeil to 3rd. He's an above average defender at 2nd, below average at 3rd. And looking at the numbers, it looks like the Mets don't think he's a 3rd baseman either.

2023 - 0 innings at 3rd
2022 - 1 inning
2021 - 5 innings
2020 he did play 9 games at 3rd and 2019, 16 starts, 31 games total.

But 6 innings over the last 3 years? It looks like they don't consider him at 3rd an option.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#446 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:06 pm

The short list:

Pitchers:

Nate Levander (lefty, bullpen guy) - probably gets the first call among these guys in 2024. Struggled in his first outing in AAA.

Christian Scott (righty/starter). The #1 ranked Mets pitching prospect who snuck into one of the top 100 lists overall. The downside is that he only pitched 87 innings, so the Mets will put him on an innings limit. 20 maybe 25 starts max, but if they put him on 6 days rest, maybe he joins the team at some point. One to watch for 2024 but he's not yet pitched in AAA, so there's some time. He's a surgeon with precision. 1.2 walks per 9 last year, but not overpowering. Still, the mix has some legit upside. Could be a fun one.

Mike Vasil and Dominic Hamel - ranks 11 and 14 on MLB's Mets list. Lumping these two together, though they're nothing alike. Both righty starters, Vasil was a high-school stud who could have gone in the first or second round, but chose college where he struggled. Mets grabbed him in the 8th round and he's been making progress ever since. Hamel is a spin rate wizard (like Seth Lugo). Add Tyler Stewart to this group as well, potential starter who could see time in 2024.

Both these guys project as potential fill in starters in 2024 / competition for more regular starts in 2025. Like Scott and several on this list, Vasil and Hamel just got promoted to AAA in 2024, so the Mets are probably not going to rush them. 50/50 on seeing them this year I think. Vasil got torched his first outing in AAA, but one game and cold weather - grain of salt.

Blade Tidwell, My guess is he's a 2025 guy but along with Scott, he's one of their most exciting pitchers. More of a velocity over control type, the upside is there. Drafted in 2022, but more innings than Scott last year (Scott was drafted in 2021). I see him as a 2025 guy but he could slip into 2024 under the right conditions. Everything would need to click.

Position players:

Drew Gilbert (one of the darlings acquired at the trade deadline last year). Gilbert is a plus glove/plus arm, big attitude with, mostly, a good bat to go with it. He's like 5'9, but a fun all-around prospect. Not on the 40 but could easily see time with the Mets this year because he's got a defenders glove in the OF, even if the bat struggles. They won't call him unless there's an opening and he's only just started in AAA.

Gilbert's numbers are strange, almost like he's 2 players. 2022 he crushed high A for Houston, then struggled after being promoted to AA, hitting .241, then, after the trade, hit .325 for us also AA, and, while it's early, he's struggled in 2024. Fans have a tendency to jump the gun, but sometimes players need time. Still, Gilbert, if he starts hitting in AAA, could see time in the Mets of this year. He's got a good enough glove that even an average bat would make him a regular.

Luisangel Acuña - another trade darling, from Texas. Younger and littler brother of the braves star (he's about 5'8). He hit well in AA for Texas, less well for us. Just got promoted to AAA, so he needs time, though unlike most on the list, he's already on the 40 so an injury could open up a spot for him pretty quickly. 2nd base is his primary position but might be able to play some SS or CF in a pinch. Speedy guy who stole 57 bases last year.

Jett Williams - probably the Mets top prospect overall, but they're starting him in AA this year, not AAA. Williams is like 5'6, which is why he felt to 14 when the Mets drafted him. The tools are legit, though he plays 2nd base primarily, they might try him in CF. He might be the most advanced bat of the 3 with a good eye at the plate. Think Nimmo in terms of walks, with some power and speed to go with it, but he's young. Just 20 years old. Like GIlbert, he was drafted in 2022, so either of those guys being called to the majors this year could be considered ahead of schedule, but unlike GIlbert, Jett was drafted out of high-school, not after 3 years of college. Jett is the highest ranked of them all.

But, I want to say: don't judge the Mets too harshly if it's June and we haven't seen any of these guys. Most of them have only just started AAA and Jett is still in AA. The "talk" is that we'll see most of these players this year, but that's not a sure thing and the Mets probably don't want to rush any of them. That said, they might also want to see what they have for 2025 roster decisions, so there's some 40 man juggling to consider and lots of ways this could play out. This is mostly, wait till July stuff, not, call them up after 2 weeks to get the extra year of control. Still a lot of nice players, with Jett, probably the top, but mostly it'll be 2nd half of the season/post trade deadline that we might start to see these players.

Also there's Vientos, who you probably know cause he saw majors last year so I'm not sure he counts. Vientos is basically Pedro Cerano at the plate. He crushes fastballs, struggles at the other stuff, though he's off to a nice start in AAA and hit 5 homers in the spring, so he's making a case to get called up. He also struggles to field 3rd, might be OK at first, though that's not open right now and he can DH but that's not open right now either when JDM joins the team.

I think that's everyone, for 2024/2025 opening day anyway. Hope my writing wasn't too wordy.

For quick references: https://www.mlb.com/prospects/mets

Classy.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,127

Post#447 » by Jeffrey » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:58 pm

There's a ton.. .do you want to know about minor leaguers that might be come up this year, more down the road or both?
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#448 » by Jeffrey » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:00 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:How long do we give Baty? If he isn't working out by midseason, they should give Vientos a try.

My guess is mid-may is about as far as they'll wait. He has options. They don't lose anything by sending him down.

Vientos' glove is a concern, so a trade is also an option but whether trade or Vientos, I think Baty has 6 weeks, maybe 7.

Vientos glove is a huge concern but he is the best option at this point. I need to be patient with Baty too because he hasn't really had a full season. I do believe the Mets need to give him a full season good or bad. This is the year to do it.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#449 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:23 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

Vientos glove is a huge concern but he is the best option at this point. I need to be patient with Baty too because he hasn't really had a full season. I do believe the Mets need to give him a full season good or bad. This is the year to do it.

I don't mean to disagree, but "best option for what?" Batty hits the ball hard, he just hits it into the ground too much. Vientos strikes out more. They're both question marks, but also, both potentially good players. I don't know which player will end up the better hitter. Too hard to project right now.

Mauricio looked like perhaps the best option for 3rd base before his injury, but like Vientos, he K's too much and his bat needs work, though the exit velocity is legit. Best fielder at 3rd of the bunch too.

Jacob Reimer is 2 years away, but one to watch if they haven't solved 3rd base by then, and there's always trade or free agency.

I'm skeptical about all 4 of their 3rd base prospects, but I'd love to be wrong.

- -

In other news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-to-get-star-rhp-back-sooner-than-expected-after-three-game-suspension/ar-BB1kWU7D?ocid=msedgntp&pc=ACTS&cvid=06fd2a647d814290b5af929b3f96996f&ei=13

Yohan Ramirez 3 game suspension was reduced to 2 games. I don't know if that has to do with the rainout or sympathy for the 0-4 mets, or Rhys Hoskin's bench clearing slide and understandable retaliation, but one less game, smaller fine. Nice little change.

Classy.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#450 » by Jeffrey » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:02 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

I don't mean to disagree, but "best option for what?" Batty hits the ball hard, he just hits it into the ground too much. Vientos strikes out more. They're both question marks, but also, both potentially good players. I don't know which player will end up the better hitter. Too hard to project right now.

Mauricio looked like perhaps the best option for 3rd base before his injury, but like Vientos, he K's too much and his bat needs work, though the exit velocity is legit. Best fielder at 3rd of the bunch too.

Jacob Reimer is 2 years away, but one to watch if they haven't solved 3rd base by then, and there's always trade or free agency.

I'm skeptical about all 4 of their 3rd base prospects, but I'd love to be wrong.

- -

In other news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-to-get-star-rhp-back-sooner-than-expected-after-three-game-suspension/ar-BB1kWU7D?ocid=msedgntp&pc=ACTS&cvid=06fd2a647d814290b5af929b3f96996f&ei=13

Yohan Ramirez 3 game suspension was reduced to 2 games. I don't know if that has to do with the rainout or sympathy for the 0-4 mets, or Rhys Hoskin's bench clearing slide and understandable retaliation, but one less game, smaller fine. Nice little change.

If things is really bad with Baty by midseason... I'm guessing Vientos will be next man up even with his defense issues. Mauricio is out of the picture until next year.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#451 » by Jeffrey » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter

More Mets news. I hope he doesn't jump ahead of Butto or Luchessi for now.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#452 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:04 pm

Game postponed today. 15 games scheduled over the next 14 days with a double tomorrow.

Mets sign Julian Teheran (edit - Jeffrey beat me to it), 2.5 million with incentives that could boost it up to 3. They offered him a minor league deal a few weeks ago, and the O's did too. He chose the O's but opted out when he didn't make the team.

Pretty good spring, though spring numbers are meaningless. Was OK last year in limited starts. Basically missed 2021 and 2022 and was lousy in 2020. Had a good run for a few years, but his last good year was 2019.

Better than nothing. Probably another back end starter, but they need that right now. I'm guessing Butto will get called up at some point too. Maybe Luchesi, probably Butto. I think they have to cut someone from the 26/40 to make room for Teheran. Not sure who'll get cut.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#453 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:08 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Read on Twitter

More Mets news. I hope he doesn't jump ahead of Butto or Luchessi for now.

Don't quote me on this, cause I'm not 100% sure, but players who were sent to the minors have to wait 2 weeks before getting called up, so the date for Butto & Chessi is April 12, same date as JD Martinez.

So, he will jump ahead, get 1 start, maybe 2. After that, they can reshuffle the deck.

I'm not certain how Megill on the DL plays into that, because I think they'd need to call up a player from the minors for a 15 day DL assignment.

EDIT, I was wrong on the day. April 7 is when the players sent to the minors can join the team. Just saw it in an article on JDM. He can join the team on Sunday. Zach Short is the favorite to be cut but I think that's unfortunate. I kind of like the Short/Baty platoon at 3rd, at least, I think it deserves more time. Though if they switch to Vientos (r) then Wendle (L) would make more sense.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#454 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:45 am

I remember Teheran used to kill us when he was on the Braves (of course). So, he'll probably still continue to kill us since we acquired him at the age of, what, 39?

This could be our transition season to the "yutes".
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#455 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:30 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I remember Teheran used to kill us when he was on the Braves (of course). So, he'll probably still continue to kill us since we acquired him at the age of, what, 39?

LOL. He's 33. He pitched his first game in MLB at 20. Was a top 5 prospect at the time.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#456 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:22 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I remember Teheran used to kill us when he was on the Braves (of course). So, he'll probably still continue to kill us since we acquired him at the age of, what, 39?

LOL. He's 33. He pitched his first game in MLB at 20. Was a top 5 prospect at the time.

That's just what it says on his paperwork from central America. You always have to add another 5 years to what their stated age is. :lol:

Seriously, how many years has he pitched in MLB? I think he was up at a very young age. Do you think he's got anything left? It just feels like a desperation move.

Anyhow, the last decent season he had was in 2019.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/31091/julio-teheran
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#457 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:41 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

That's just what it says on his paperwork from central America. You always have to add another 5 years to what their stated age is. :lol:

Seriously, how many years has he pitched in MLB? I think he was up at a very young age. Do you think he's got anything left? It just feels like a desperation move.

Anyhow, the last decent season he had was in 2019.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/31091/julio-teheran

I'd forgotten that they used to lie about ages. I think it happens less now.

I always suspected Edgardo Alfonzo was older than he claimed, though I still loved him as a player. Wish we had a young Edgardo Alfonso now.

I have nothing to base that on other than him starting to go down hill at 29. A bit sooner than most stars. It's only a suspicion, not an accusation.

But as for how bad he's been. His 2023 wasn't awful. If he can repeat that, then it's probably an OK signing. 11 starts. 0.5 war.

The problem is, he kind of had 2 seasons last year. His first 6 starts were good. 35 innings, 1.53 era but 3.91 WHIP, so also lucky.

His next 5 starts were awful: 27 innings, 8.89 era, 6.55 WHIP, so unlucky but also, bad.

His final 3 long relief games weren't terrible: 9 innings, 2.00 ERA, 4.03 WHIP.

He kept his walk rate down lastyear which is a plus.

I have no idea what we're going to get out of him but he might be OK for spot starts and long relief. I don't hate the signing, though, who knows what he'll give us. I don't think the Mets can carry 6 starters and 8 bullpen arms, so they'll have to cut someone. But not today. 27 man rosters for double headers.

Classy.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#458 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:04 pm

Can't lose them all. Love the Pete homer. Pitched well in game two but Nimmo, Lindor, McNeil - ouch. It's early. They won't stay this bad.

1-5. Go Mets.

Classy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#459 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:11 am

Butto and Houser each had nice starts. Especially Butto.
Free Palestine
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,866

Post#460 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:13 am

Thank :censored: . I'm not even a Mets fan, but watching that first game was aggravating.

Return to New York Knicks