ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official NY Jets Thread.

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,005

Re: The Official NY Jets Thread. 

Post#1201 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:56 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:How are we sitting depth-wise on the roster overall? According to Remi, we could use some on the OL. So, I don't know whether consolidating assets to move up or trading back to acquire more assets is the way to go. I remember when Bill Parcells first came to the Jets as the Head Coach/GM, the first thing he did was trade back in the drafts to acquire more talent. And it worked. That Jets team was in much worse shape than this is right now, though.

Jets also had to give New England a lot of picks just to get Parcells so it's not like he had a choice.

But yeah, Jets need depth on both lines, which is why I don't mind trading back for more picks either if Joe Alt isn't available. Still, we're in win now mode and if the Chargers are dangling MHJ to us? It would be difficult for me to turn down.

I'm in the trade back to add more picks camp as well. I think they did a good job filling key needs via free agency and at this point, depth and more picks is the way to go, unless a player they really crave falls to #10.

I like what they've done. I'm not sure they're anything more than a one and done playoff team, but even that would be a nice change.

From WT (WingoTap :D ):

The New York Jets currently hold the No. 10 pick in this month\'s NFL Draft.

According to a report, the Jets would like to field trade proposals from quarterback-needy teams behind them in the draft order.

New York could acquire another top-100 pick in such a trade to help them this season. The Jets only have two picks in the top-100 (No. 10 and No. 72) at the moment.

Via Rich Cimini/ESPN

Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,347

Post#1202 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:43 am

Oscirus wrote:jets are short on picks, they cant really afford to be moving up, esp with no 2nd this year

I like this article. It's a good example of what a crapshoot the draft is, and how easy it is to get wrong, or, the flip side of that coin, maybe the guys making the choices are dumb. I think the truth is that it's a bit of both, not one or the other.

https://gnnhd.tv/news/29333/dan-marino-brett-favre-peyton-manning-the-jets-could-have-drafted-a-future-hof-qb

In 1983 the Jets considered, but didn't draft Dan Marino. They considered him, but they liked Ken O'Brien more. Took him at 24. Marino went at 27. The crowd, the article says, wanted Marino.

Skip ahead to 1991, the Jets wanted Farve. The story is that they REALLY liked him. He was 100% their guy and when he fell to the 2nd round, the Jets "frantically" started to try to trade down to get him, and they almost did, but the trade down fell when the Cards had their guy fall to 32. Then Atlanta snatched Farve at 33, one pick before the Jets 34, and a year later, sold him to the Packers for pick #19 because Atlanta decided to go with Chris Miller, so "lets sell the back-up for a #19 pick - makes sense right?"

With Farve gone, the Jets went with their 2nd option, who they also liked, Browning's Bagels, I mean, Browning Nagle. But, it wouldn't have been any worse if they'd traded that #34 pick for a bag of bagels. Browning spent 1991 was Ken O'Brien's backup and future replacement, so maybe the Jets believed in him when Farve was traded in 1992. He'd spent most of the year on the bench, so . . . I get that.

But if they believed in Farve as much as they said, the Jets could have offered more than the #19 pick for Farve in 1992, traded Nagle in another trade for a 2nd rounder or something or in 1991 they could have tried to trade up sooner to get a pick before Atlanta, to draft Farve in 1991. They didn't do either, and this was a player they really liked, but for some reason, didn't want to spend a little extra to get him. I see no other way to look at that.

So . . . if you wanted to call the Jets dumb, especially in 1983 and 1991, I don't have a good counter argument to that,, but I also think it's a crap shoot. It's hard to know if the guy you pick is going to work out. If it was easy, draft blunders wouldn't be so common.

- -

I'm no genius. I don't know a lot about football, but I do know that sometimes, trading up is the way to go. Toss in a 2025 or 2026 2nd rounder and get it done. If, the player there at #7 or #8 is really worth it. The Jets are going to have to rebuild eventually. Maybe as soon as 2025. I have a tough time seeing them put a winning team on the field in 2027, so trade a few future picks now. It's the time to do it.

. . .

I figure the Jets have maybe a one in 3, or one in 4 chance of finding the right kind of magic and putting together a playoff run. Maybe an AFC championship game - and even a loss there, I'd call that a successful season. Possibly even more than that. It's a long shot, but if it was me, I'd role the dice and nothing would be off the table, including trading up.

There are no Ted Stepien rules in football, just limitations to 3 years out. And, OK, they probably shouldn't trade away too many future picks, but a few, maybe 2 or 3 future picks? I'd be OK with trading a 2 or 3 future picks to set up 2024.

too long? too random? Sometimes I type too much.
I don't remember ever feeling so relieved that a series was over. This one was a bit too tense for me. Great series, but not fun to watch, even though the good guys won.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,575

Post#1203 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:41 pm

Douzable's 7 picks:
10: WR - Rome Odunze
72: S - Cole Bishop
111: QB - Michael Pratt
134: DL - Justin Eboigbe
185: RB - Tyrone Tracy
256: OT - Tylan Grable
257: EDGE - Nelson Ceasar

I think they wait too long for O-line help in this scenario. But I like the first two picks a LOT, Odunze needs no introduction, and Bishop is a big Safety that Saleh could use in a variety of ways. I like the idea of getting a developmental QB to start learning from Rodgers, but Pratt's not on my radar. I won't pretend to know the last four guys well enough to comment. But I don't love picking a d-lineman with so many other depth needs.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1204 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:31 pm

j4remi wrote:

Douzable's 7 picks:
10: WR - Rome Odunze
72: S - Cole Bishop
111: QB - Michael Pratt
134: DL - Justin Eboigbe
185: RB - Tyrone Tracy
256: OT - Tylan Grable
257: EDGE - Nelson Ceasar

I think they wait too long for O-line help in this scenario. But I like the first two picks a LOT, Odunze needs no introduction, and Bishop is a big Safety that Saleh could use in a variety of ways. I like the idea of getting a developmental QB to start learning from Rodgers, but Pratt's not on my radar. I won't pretend to know the last four guys well enough to comment. But I don't love picking a d-lineman with so many other depth needs.

I'd go O'line at 111 and maybe 134 as well, assuming 10 and 72 go as predicted above.

A QB is an interesting call. On the one hand - win now, draft for need and draft a QB next year. On the other hand, what if Rodgers retires after this season? Draft a QB and let him watch, learn from, and practice with Rodgers for a year. I guess it depends on who they like.

I don't remember who I had this discussion with, but they were right. Looks like little Zach isn't going to get diddly via trade. Maybe a 6th round pick, but the Jets will take that and use the pick, and you know they're going to make a few trades as the draft goes on. They love making draft day trades, especially in the later rounds.
I don't remember ever feeling so relieved that a series was over. This one was a bit too tense for me. Great series, but not fun to watch, even though the good guys won.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1205 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:05 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:I'd go O'line at 111 and maybe 134 as well, assuming 10 and 72 go as predicted above.

A QB is an interesting call. On the one hand - win now, draft for need and draft a QB next year. On the other hand, what if Rodgers retires after this season? Draft a QB and let him watch, learn from, and practice with Rodgers for a year. I guess it depends on who they like.

I don't remember who I had this discussion with, but they were right. Looks like little Zach isn't going to get diddly via trade. Maybe a 6th round pick, but the Jets will take that and use the pick, and you know they're going to make a few trades as the draft goes on. They love making draft day trades, especially in the later rounds.

I'd probably do the same as far as the O-line goes. Get a couple of quality options that can learn under the vets. The two QB's that I'd love to see learn under Rodgers won't be available by our second pick (Bo Nix and Michael Penix), and I wouldn't use 10 on them when we have so many needs.

It sucks that Zach won't fetch anything. Nothing says "we whiffed" worse than having to waive a QB and eat the cap hit because no one wants to trade for a third-stringer. I definitely expect Douglas to try get a few extra picks.

Did you see the Bills dump Stefan Diggs for a future second-round pick? They took an extra dead-cap hit just to get him out of there. The Jets biggest gains of the offseason may come from the Bills and Dolphins letting quality players walk.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,413

Post#1206 » by DOT » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:16 pm

j4remi wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:I don't remember who I had this discussion with, but they were right. Looks like little Zach isn't going to get diddly via trade. Maybe a 6th round pick, but the Jets will take that and use the pick, and you know they're going to make a few trades as the draft goes on. They love making draft day trades, especially in the later rounds.

It sucks that Zach won't fetch anything. Nothing says "we whiffed" worse than having to waive a QB and eat the cap hit because no one wants to trade for a third-stringer. I definitely expect Douglas to try get a few extra picks.

If Mac Jones and Justin Fields only netted a 6th rounder each, you're not getting anything better than an 8th round pick for Zach Wilson.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1207 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:26 pm

DOT wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:I don't remember who I had this discussion with, but they were right. Looks like little Zach isn't going to get diddly via trade. Maybe a 6th round pick, but the Jets will take that and use the pick, and you know they're going to make a few trades as the draft goes on. They love making draft day trades, especially in the later rounds.

If Mac Jones and Justin Fields only netted a 6th rounder each, you're not getting anything better than an 8th round pick for Zach Wilson.

Yeah, the latest is that teams would WANT picks to take on Wilson. We're gonna end up waiving him and eating a 5 million-dollar cap hit in the process.

For the extra picks, I picture Douglas shuffling mid-late round picks for more...and if he picks Brock Bowers like a lot of prognosticators are predicting, I wouldn't be shocked if he starts checking for interest in Conklin or Ruckert.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1208 » by DOT » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:33 pm

j4remi wrote:For the extra picks, I picture Douglas shuffling mid-late round picks for more...and if he picks Brock Bowers like a lot of prognosticators are predicting, I wouldn't be shocked if he starts checking for interest in Conklin or Ruckert.

Depending on who's available of course, I would think y'all should be looking to trade down

Cause my thinking is, Rodgers has at most 2 seasons left in him, most likely only 1 if that much at all, so you're gonna be rebuilding sooner rather than later, so if you can get extra picks for future drafts, it should be worth it.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1209 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:27 pm

DOT wrote:
j4remi wrote:For the extra picks, I picture Douglas shuffling mid-late round picks for more...and if he picks Brock Bowers like a lot of prognosticators are predicting, I wouldn't be shocked if he starts checking for interest in Conklin or Ruckert.

Depending on who's available of course, I would think y'all should be looking to trade down

Cause my thinking is, Rodgers has at most 2 seasons left in him, most likely only 1 if that much at all, so you're gonna be rebuilding sooner rather than later, so if you can get extra picks for future drafts, it should be worth it.

Yeah, I think that's a general consensus from the fans I've spoken with directly. Maybe a QB-hungry team tries to jump the line, or some team that REALLY likes one of the OTs or Bowers will come calling. I'd love to trade into the late-teens or early-twenties and still scoop one of the top OT's while picking up extra draft capital.

It also seems like JD likes his compensatory picks. Huff will get us a compensatory pick next year, and if we can't afford Reddick, he'll become a compensatory pick in the future. At some point very soon, we'll be back to looking for a QB of the future, not to mention both OT's we acquired are on the wrong side of 30.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,548

Post#1210 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:34 pm

Jets have enough mediocrity on the roster. No trading down please.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1211 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:51 pm

DOT wrote:If Mac Jones and Justin Fields only netted a 6th rounder each, you're not getting anything better than an 8th round pick for Zach Wilson.

That's funny.

I think they have to trade him though, or cut him. It would be bad karma to keep him on the team next year. He had that one good game, and I think somewhere, there's a team that would take a chance on him, even if the jets have to eat some salary to make it happen.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1212 » by DOT » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:55 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:He had that one good game

My mom's a Taylor Swift fan, so she watches every Chiefs game, meaning the one time she saw Zach Wilson play he outdid Mahomes, so the next day she says to me "those Jets need to get that kid some help" :rofl:
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,888

Post#1213 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:46 pm

Jets fans: Jets have a real shot at playoffs this year!
God: (earthquake) Wait until you see what I do to the sun on Monday!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,005

Post#1214 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:51 am

Rich Rane wrote:Jets fans: Jets have a real shot at playoffs this year!

You guys are going to suck me in again? Do we have an OL or not? We must have some weak links.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1215 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:20 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Jets fans: Jets have a real shot at playoffs this year!

You guys are going to suck me in again? Do we have an OL or not? We must have some weak links.

I'm far from the most knowlegable guy here, but they seem to have a pretty good O'line. But it's old, and an injury away from a below average one.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,548

Post#1216 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:28 pm

I'm 100% confident the Jets will find a way to completely **** up the season
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,334

Post#1217 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:04 pm

We could always draft Rodgers replacement. He loves when you do that! :o
:beer: RIP mags
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1218 » by Rich Rane » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:33 pm

Ashtyn Davis re-signing, CJ Uzomah to Philly.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1219 » by Rich Rane » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,389

Post#1220 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:59 pm

The Jets had to give up a 6th round pick and money to get rid of Zach. That dead cap hit must have been mean if they had to resort to that
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to New York Knicks