ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks sign Donte DiVincenzo 4 years $50 mil

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Re: Knicks sign Donte DiVincenzo 4 years $50 mil 

Post#221 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:22 pm

26 games as starter

13.8 PPG 3.5 RPG 2.6 APG 1.3 SPG
49.4% on 10.1 FGA
43.4% on 7.6 3PA
74.3% on 1.3 FTA
66.8% TS
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,339

Post#222 » by Hes_On_Fire » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:27 pm

dakomish23 wrote:26 games as starter

49.4% on 10.1 FGA
43.4% on 7.6 3PA
74.3% on 1.3 FTA
66.8% TS

His career has never been this good so I wonder if this year is an anomaly so far or if he'll keep it up the entire season.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#223 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:32 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:

49.4% on 10.1 FGA
43.4% on 7.6 3PA
74.3% on 1.3 FTA
66.8% TS

His career has never been this good so I wonder if this year is an anomaly so far or if he'll keep it up the entire season.

The fit at starting SG required someone who’s more than happy to be the release valve, will let it fly & is fine with the ball being primarily with Brunson & Randle.

So being ideally tailored on offense could be a big reason why.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,201

Post#224 » by Capn'O » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:37 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:

49.4% on 10.1 FGA
43.4% on 7.6 3PA
74.3% on 1.3 FTA
66.8% TS

The fit at starting SG required someone who’s more than happy to be the release valve, will let it fly & is fine with the ball being primarily with Brunson & Randle.

Brunson makes players better :o

He's definitely hit an uptick here but he's always been a good player :dontknow:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,166

Post#225 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:41 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:

49.4% on 10.1 FGA
43.4% on 7.6 3PA
74.3% on 1.3 FTA
66.8% TS

A few weeks ago Donte mentioned that his time in Golden State made him a better shooter. He took a lot from the practice routines of Steph and Klay.

“Just watching how Steph goes about (his preparation),” DiVincenzo said. “Steph, Jordan (Poole) and Klay (Thompson) were huge for me in just seeing how they prepared every day. I watched Steph go 1-for-12 and come in the next day and shoot 1,000 shots. And I’ve seen him go 12-for-12 and come in (the next day) and shoot 1,000 shots. So it just taught me the preparation (needed) to be able to have the confidence in-game. Coming over here, I’m not changing anything about my routine….Good game, bad game. Good shooting night, doesn’t matter. I’ll just come in and do the same thing every night.”

Dude shot 40% from 3 last year with them and is 42% this year with us so far, even better as a starter. In 20-21 as a starter on the champion Bucks he shot 38% from 3, before having an injury plagued 21-22 where he got traded to the Kings midway. So he’s been on the rise for a while overall.

It’s fair to be skeptical though. His shooting has been cooling off a little as he’s “only” shooting 38% from 3 in January. That was expected a bit with how hot he was, but his J looks pure. Seems like a 40%+ 3P shooter to me with solid defense, rebounding, and passing. Great deal.
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#226 » by movingon » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:42 pm

overpaid? Man is underpaid!
Looking back, it's the same thing many said at Brunson at first (and Julius for that matter).
Gotta hand it to the FO, we have some great contracts on our books.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#227 » by Meat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:51 pm

I feel like he's **** up some kind of plan being this good
Snacks
Rookie
And1: 1,115

Post#228 » by Snacks » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:57 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:

49.4% on 10.1 FGA
43.4% on 7.6 3PA
74.3% on 1.3 FTA
66.8% TS

A few weeks ago Donte mentioned that his time in Golden State made him a better shooter. He took a lot from the practice routines of Steph and Klay.

“Just watching how Steph goes about (his preparation),” DiVincenzo said. “Steph, Jordan (Poole) and Klay (Thompson) were huge for me in just seeing how they prepared every day. I watched Steph go 1-for-12 and come in the next day and shoot 1,000 shots. And I’ve seen him go 12-for-12 and come in (the next day) and shoot 1,000 shots. So it just taught me the preparation (needed) to be able to have the confidence in-game. Coming over here, I’m not changing anything about my routine….Good game, bad game. Good shooting night, doesn’t matter. I’ll just come in and do the same thing every night.”

Dude shot 40% from 3 last year with them and is 42% this year with us so far, even better as a starter. In 20-21 as a starter on the champion Bucks he shot 38% from 3, before having an injury plagued 21-22 where he got traded to the Kings midway. So he’s been on the rise for a while overall.

It’s fair to be skeptical though. His shooting has been cooling off a little as he’s “only” shooting 38% from 3 in January. That was expected a bit with how hot he was, but his J looks pure. Seems like a 40%+ 3P shooter to me with solid defense, rebounding, and passing. Great deal.

I believe a very talented and capable player in DiVo met up with the right mentors at the right time of his life... and the Knicks are the beneficiary. While a different type of shooter, Grimes has proven to be as talented and capable... and now he has the vet that may bring him up. Knicks have an excellent 2 guard rotation. Plus, knicks can't pay everybody 40 mil ---
Mitch
Towns
OG
Spida
JB
Snacks
Rookie
And1: 1,115

Post#229 » by Snacks » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:00 pm

Meat wrote:I feel like he's **** up some kind of plan being this good

I think you're right, especially when salary is considered, a rotation of DiVo and Grimes is better than some of the 2 guards in knicks' trade talks... I'm looking at you Murray.
Mitch
Towns
OG
Spida
JB
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,975

Post#230 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:37 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:

49.4% on 10.1 FGA
43.4% on 7.6 3PA
74.3% on 1.3 FTA
66.8% TS

Ah, wish I saw this before posting in the Randle thread. Would have just linked it.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,447

Post#231 » by robillionaire » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:19 pm

I liked the signing but he’s been a lot different (and also better) than I expected. I figured he’d be like a shorter Josh hart that comes off the bench and does scrappy hustle defensive things and shoots like 33% from 3 like he did in 2022. Instead, he is one of the best sharpshooters in the nba

I was looking at the stats, he has made 119 3 pointers this year shooting 42%. The only players who have made more than him at a higher percentage than him are Brunson (120 3s at 42.4%) and Malik Beasley (122 3s at 47.1%). So basically we have two of the three most accurate on high volume 3 ball shooters in the nba in our starting lineup.

Then you take OG who takes smart high percentage shots and rarely forces things and he’s at 39% from 3 with the Knicks so far and the corners are never safe to ignore. I have a lot more confidence in his ability to convert open looks than the former guy. Even Randle post OG trade(the month of January) is shooting 35% on 6.2 attempts a game when he’s not busy finding the other guys open and setting screens for quality looks.

Then you go to the bench and it doesn’t get any easier when McBride is shooting 46.6% from 3 and Grimes is streaky but still hitting at 37%

The centers and then Josh Hart is really the only guy you might be safe to leave open and even he’ll make it 31.4% of the time, below average but he seems to make them at important moments and for some reason I still want him to shoot if open

Oh and just a side note, Brogdon shot 44.4% on Boston last year and 42.2% on Portland this year, so acquiring him is an option that can theoretically make us more lethal
Ursusamericanus
Veteran
And1: 2,594

Post#232 » by Ursusamericanus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:30 pm

DDV has won at every level and there's a reason for it. He's a championship player. Amazing, underrated acquisition who has fit seamlessly into our starting lineup.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,526

Post#233 » by KnicksGod » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:53 pm

Yeah good point. Grimes started so that tells you. Now he’s too good to replace as starter.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#234 » by KnicksGod » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:54 pm

KnicksGod wrote:

Yeah good point. Grimes started so that tells you. Now he’s too good to replace as starter.

… every workable plan in sports relies on luck

You have to have the lack of ego to permit it to happen without interference if you’re a GM

Bird in hand

On the other hand, it takes a lot of luck to win a title but also a lot of proactive moves till you’re truly loaded

Tough call
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#235 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:03 pm

KnicksGod wrote:

He didn't f*ck up anything. He is doing what we wanted from Grimes without the great defense but, he isn't a traffic cone. He also made it easier to trade IQ which, most of is knew that's why we signed him. We got OG as a result of that signing.

Grimes f*cked up the plan because he has not taken the next step as a bench player when he used to start for us. That's on Grimes. DDV is a perfect fit as the starting 2 guard. Credit to the FO.
:beer: RIP mags
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#236 » by KnicksGod » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:17 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:

He didn't f*ck up anything. He is doing what we wanted from Grimes without the great defense but, he isn't a traffic cone. He also made it easier to trade IQ which, most of is knew that's why we signed him. We got OG as a result of that signing.

Grimes f*cked up the plan because he has not taken the next step as a bench player when he used to start for us. That's on Grimes. DDV is a perfect fit as the starting 2 guard. Credit to the FO.

Not saying anything of substance different.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#237 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:22 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:

Huh? What substance went into the OP? ZERO POINT ZERO! I am the one bringing substance to the discussion. :lol:
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#238 » by KnicksGod » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:33 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Huh? What substance went into the OP? ZERO POINT ZERO! I am the one bringing substance to the discussion. :lol:

Nobody's arguing that he hasn't been really good and nobody is commenting on your substance. Did they think he'd be this good? No. That's something called "a good problem to have." Also, if you want to fight about something personal, you can send me a PM. I'm not likely to respond much but nobody is calling your posts unsubstantive. And nobody wants to see you make the thread about you (or me, or you and me).

What I did say, however, is that we all agree that he's outperforming his contract. While you say 'He didn't upset any plan,' well we have a little different spin on that. Not a big deal. But when someone does better than you expect, to some extent you are changing the plan, if the plan was to have DD off the bench. He's making it hard to take him out of the lineup or to trade for a "better" player (or one thought to be by that almighty conventional wisdom) -- or, at the very least, he's making that a more difficult decision than people envisioned it to be when they got him.

Or who knows, maybe we're wrong and they expected DD to be this good (but it begs the question why Grimes was in the starting lineup).

Make sense? Again, nothing is really substantively different. Again, a good problem to have.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#239 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:52 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:

Nobody's arguing that he hasn't been really good and nobody is commenting on your substance. Did they think he'd be this good? No. That's something called "a good problem to have." Also, if you want to fight about something personal, you can send me a PM. I'm not likely to respond much but nobody is calling your posts unsubstantive. And nobody wants to see you make the thread about you (or me, or you and me).

What I did say, however, is that we all agree that he's outperforming his contract. While you say 'He didn't upset any plan,' well we have a little different spin on that. Not a big deal. But when someone does better than you expect, to some extent you are changing the plan, if the plan was to have DD off the bench. He's making it hard to take him out of the lineup or to trade for a "better" player (or one thought to be by that almighty conventional wisdom) -- or, at the very least, he's making that a more difficult decision than people envisioned it to be when they got him.

Or who knows, maybe we're wrong and they expected DD to be this good (but it begs the question why Grimes was in the starting lineup).

Make sense? Again, nothing is really substantively different. Again, a good problem to have.

Got it. Move on. Love, KnicksGod
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,562

Post#240 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:34 pm

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®

Return to New York Knicks