ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,889

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 

Post#281 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:40 pm

DOT wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Clingan having a triple double with blocks is probably a sign that he won’t make it out of the lottery. Tourney runs like that always help draft stock like crazy.

It helps he has solid touch around the rim so he can finish from a few feet out

I watch like every UConn game, the difference when he sits and Samson Johnson comes in is night and day. I love Samson, but he's legit just a rim runner, if he isn't dunking he can't really finish, and that really hampers the offense even though Clingan isn't really a scorer

It's interesting though, cause when you watch him, he's not nearly as strong as you'd think. I don't have measurements, but it seems like he's super lanky and has long legs, so he has a pretty high center of gravity, like he isn't really outmuscling anyone on the boards, he's just using his length to finesse rebounds. That's the big difference between him and like, Edey who's just an absolute unit out there

That'll be where he fails in the NBA will be, he needs to add strength without losing mobility, cause he's already pretty slow footed. I think best case scenario for him would be post-injury Mitchell Robinson (after he bulked up but lost his lateral mobility) but with much better touch.

Having touch is huge. I love Mitch but Ihart's just having a floater helps out with the spacing so much.

Read on Twitter

I caught this video last night cuz I was busier watching the Houston/ Texas A&M game and I was a little worried about how quick he is laterally but it was a little bit of an overreaction. Even if he's a little slow footed it he can just make up for that with better positioning. If you watched the Nets game and saw how Ihart can basically guard the ball handlers and the roll man at the same time. Clingan doesn't have the greatest positioning when he's guarding PNR and makes up for that with being crazy long but all that stuff is coachable.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,312

Post#282 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:42 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Clingan doesn't have the greatest positioning when he's guarding PNR and makes up for that with being crazy long but all that stuff is coachable.

Yeah, but that is a worry at the next level

Like, no offense to the Northwestern guys, but NBA ball handlers are built different, if they're getting by him like that, NBA guards are gonna be uncatchable

You can coach positioning, but it will be a limiting factor for him going forward.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,073

Post#283 » by Jeffrey » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:27 pm

Can someone help me with ranking of Centers. Anyone have pros and cons with their game? I'm guessing that Jericho Sims might be replaced.

Clingang, Flipowski and Ware
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#284 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:26 pm

Wake me up when if we actually draft someone!

:beer: RIP mags
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,240

Post#285 » by The Lamma » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:52 am

Draft thread darling Robbie Avila and Indiana State tipping off at 9pm on ESPN in the NIT
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#286 » by ctorres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:25 am

The Lamma wrote:Draft thread darling Robbie Avila and Indiana State tipping off at 9pm on ESPN in the NIT

He had 22pts 5reb 6ast and shot 4/8 from three

and his team won too

I think at 6'10 he can play with a team that can compensate for him defensively. Knicks could be perfect. If you play him at the 5, you can play Hart, OG, and Achiuwa beside him. If you play him at the 4, then Mitch can play beside him.

Does Thibs have the patience to develop him like Deuce and Mitch?
The Lamma
Veteran

Post#287 » by The Lamma » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:38 pm

ctorres wrote:
The Lamma wrote:Draft thread darling Robbie Avila and Indiana State tipping off at 9pm on ESPN in the NIT

and his team won too

I think at 6'10 he can play with a team that can compensate for him defensively. Knicks could be perfect. If you play him at the 5, you can play Hart, OG, and Achiuwa beside him. If you play him at the 4, then Mitch can play beside him.

Last night his most impressive attribute was his passing ability. He thread the needle hitting cutters with crisp bounce passes several times.

The game has already slowed down for him on offense. At his age he already plays with a veteran savvy
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#288 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:28 pm

ctorres wrote:

and his team won too

The nickname alone is worth it..."Cream Kareem". :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Lamma
Veteran

Post#289 » by The Lamma » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:29 pm

moocow007 wrote:
ctorres wrote:

and his team won too

The nickname alone is worth it..."Cream Kareem". :lol: :lol: :lol:

And "Larry Blurred" for the Bubbles-level specs :)
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,624

Post#290 » by ScienceOfLosing » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:48 pm

DOT wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Clingan doesn't have the greatest positioning when he's guarding PNR and makes up for that with being crazy long but all that stuff is coachable.

Yeah, but that is a worry at the next level

Like, no offense to the Northwestern guys, but NBA ball handlers are built different, if they're getting by him like that, NBA guards are gonna be uncatchable

You can coach positioning, but it will be a limiting factor for him going forward.

Beat me to it. Yeah, he will not be able to do a lot of what we saw at the next level.
But good luck to him.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,393

Post#291 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:14 pm

Is the general belief the Knicks will draft 1 player and trade the other 1st round pick into the future?

And, I guess, draft a guy in the 2nd round...
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#292 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Is the general belief the Knicks will draft 1 player and trade the other 1st round pick into the future?

Yeah probably. I would imagine they will focus on drafting a big given that Hartenstein can leave, Mitch is injury prone and they can't just rely on "Akachuwa" as potentially the only starting option at PF and C if injury hits (sorry Jericho).
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#293 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:25 pm

I’ve said this before but I’m convinced the Knicks make all their picks this year. We have a bunch of holes in the rotation next season. I don’t think it be crazy if Burks, Ihart, and Precious are all gone next season. Maybe Rokas can take a spot but that’s not guaranteed. We don’t have any players on rookie contracts to make trades. Most, if not all star trades have some kids involved in them. This is a bad draft too so how much value will you get by trading out? No one really wants the protected picks we have now and they have a chance to be lottery. No one is going to want a top 20 protected pick. Maybe we can finally trade up to combine picks but I bet that’s the only way we don’t walk away with at least 2 kids.

Now back to prospects. I wonder if Jared McCain will still be available when we pick? Dudes been awesome for Duke so far and looks like an absolute sniper. Even with Deuce’s emergence, it doesn’t hurt to have another guard that’s a knock down shooter. They’d def be able to play together too.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,871

Post#294 » by 8516knicks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

[quote="Jeffrey"]Can someone help me with ranking of Centers. Anyone have pros and cons with their game? I'm guessing thi

People commented on Clingang above. Ware has fallen far since the early mock but still has better stats than most. Some mention Baylor's Missi. Flip tops them all in assists and steals but also turnovers.

And Sims hasn't been half bad lately.

Given the late stage 3rd and 4th year leaps by many of our current players - Deuce, Divo, Hart even Brunson --it might be prudent to see if Sims makes a decent jump up also, before getting rid of him. Right now he's cheap and has experience which Thibs loves.

I think the playoffs will show us more clearly what we NEED.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,871

Post#295 » by 8516knicks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

moocow007 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Is the general belief the Knicks will draft 1 player and trade the other 1st round pick into the future?

Yeah probably. I would imagine they will focus on drafting a big given that Hartenstein can leave, Mitch is injury prone and they can't just rely on "Akachuwa" as potentially the only starting option at PF and C if injury hits (sorry Jericho).

Gotta go all out for IHART. If necessary, bye Mitch. Especially if it means we can keep Precious also. These 20 and 30 games seasons from him don't cut it.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#296 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

8516knicks wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Gotta go all out for IHART. If necessary, bye Mitch. Especially if it means we can keep Precious also. These 20 and 30 games seasons from him don't cut it.

If these guys wanna play here, I am sure we can clear the money to sign them. Problem is, we can only offer iHart around 15/4 I think. If he is looking to get paid there's nothing we can do. Not sure what Precious would want but, there should be a way to keep both. Depends on what OG expects to get paid as well I suppose.

I really don't worry about this FO when it comes to getting players to take team friendly deals. They are killing it in that respect. They seem to work miracles actually.
:beer: RIP mags
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,089

Post#297 » by stuporman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

Denver will draft Avila so have 48 minutes of jokic and broke jokic. The league will rue the day they let it happen
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#298 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

PJ hall on Clemson kinda reminds me of David Lee.
The Lamma
Veteran

Post#299 » by The Lamma » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:PJ hall on Clemson kinda reminds me of David Lee.

Just had that same thought in the first half

He'd be an interesting get with our 2nd rounder. Most mocks have him available there
The Lamma
Veteran

Post#300 » by The Lamma » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

Caleb Love should have entered the draft in 2022. He was projected to go in the first round, now he'll end his college career and go undrafted. Could've gotten at least that one nice payday

Return to New York Knicks