ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,889

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 

Post#201 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:51 pm

Sam Vecenie made a new mock this morning and here’s who he has us drafting with his reasoning why.

Donovan Clingan | 7-2 center | 20 years old | Connecticut

Clingan has had an up-and-down year due to injuries to his foot in the preseason and an ankle injury midway through the season. But when he’s been on the court, he’s been one of the most dominant players in college basketball. He completely shuts down the paint when he’s in the game, with an enormous frame that takes up a significant portion of the paint. He moves well and is elite in drop coverage defensively, stopping ballhandlers from turning the corner on him and getting to the rim. On the weak side, he makes his presence felt when necessary. Offensively, he’s more of a screen-and-roll big who covers ground quickly and finishes well at the rim. Where evaluators have the most questions is regarding how long Clingan can actually play within games. That answer hasn’t been given yet this season after he was essentially a part-time player as a freshman on the way to Connecticut’s title run due to the injuries. He’s only played over 25 minutes in a game four times in 60 games so far. Still, with the Knicks potentially in need of a backup center if Isaiah Hartenstein gets a big offer this summer, Clingan could be an interesting combination as an elite rim protector with Mitchell Robinson.

Tyler Kolek | 6-3 guard | 23 years old | Marquette

It’s hard to be more on-fire than Kolek has been over the last month. Since Jan. 15, Marquette is 7-1 as Kolek has averaged 19.1 points, 8.7 assists and shot 48.8 percent from the field and 45.7 percent from 3. He has the Golden Eagles in a strong position to succeed moving forward. He’s a crafty guard who I’m not totally convinced can dunk, but he knows exactly how to play off two feet and is an elite distributor out of ball screens. The big leap this season has come as a shooter, as he’s drilling 40.4 percent from 3, but more than that, he looks much more confident pulling up when the opportunity arises. Kolek will need to prove he can hold up on defense in regard to footspeed in the NBA, and he’ll need to prove he can separate well enough. But New York has an affinity for Big East players, and the Knicks also have a real need at backup point guard even with the emergence of Miles McBride recently. They could use more playmaking and distribution skill from the backcourt with one of these picks.

42. New York Knicks (via UTA): Ajay Mitchell | 6-5 guard | UC Santa Barbara
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,312

Post#202 » by DOT » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:03 pm

Clingan's good

The issue is much the same with anyone at his size, he's only effective in drop coverage off the PnR, but he's a great rim protector

He also has enough touch to be able to score if he can't get to the rim, like I don't have on/off numbers, but from the eye test (as someone who watches most all UConn games), there's a noticeable difference in the offense when he sits and Samson Johnson comes in, who's exclusively in that rim runner archetype

If this were a better draft, he'd go in the 20s, but he'll probably go in the lottery at this rate. I just don't love the idea of drafting a backup C with a 1st round pick, though to be fair Mitch is constantly getting injured so it might be a worthy investment if we don't think we can bring Hartenstein back.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,561

Post#203 » by Fat Kat » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:36 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#204 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:43 pm

DOT wrote:Clingan's good

The issue is much the same with anyone at his size, he's only effective in drop coverage off the PnR, but he's a great rim protector

He also has enough touch to be able to score if he can't get to the rim, like I don't have on/off numbers, but from the eye test (as someone who watches most all UConn games), there's a noticeable difference in the offense when he sits and Samson Johnson comes in, who's exclusively in that rim runner archetype

If this were a better draft, he'd go in the 20s, but he'll probably go in the lottery at this rate. I just don't love the idea of drafting a backup C with a 1st round pick, though to be fair Mitch is constantly getting injured so it might be a worthy investment if we don't think we can bring Hartenstein back.

This was the latest I’ve seen Clingan mocked so far in my quick peeks at the mocks that been floating around the internet. ESPN has him at 11 right now. If he’s there at 17, I’m definitely running to the podium.

Hartenstein is great and I’d love to have him back but how much can you pay your back up big is a major question? If you can get 80% of Ihart for 10% of the cost, it makes sense as an investment IMO. Since he’s got enough touch to score outside the dunkers spot it be a nice rotation with Mitch.

Back up guard and big are really the only two spots I can see holes in the roster would have minutes available on next years teams. So unless there’s another awesome 6’8” guy that can shoot, this is the way I expect them to go.

vecenie has your boy Castle at 5 to the blazers. Which is pretty much the highest I’ve seen him mocked so far as well. What do you think about that?
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,624

Post#205 » by ScienceOfLosing » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:47 pm

I think we are drafting 2 players (and/or trade up) for the Nets.
They will give us Bridges for app. 3 firsts, the two young players just drafted, maybe another young guy like our Euro stash and unfortunately Deuce.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,688

Post#206 » by mpharris36 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:47 pm

DOT wrote:Clingan's good

Fair to say Kessler is a pretty good comp for him?
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#207 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:50 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
FIRST ROUND

1. Washington Wizards

Zaccharie Risacher | JL Bourg | SF | Age: 18.8

2. Detroit Pistons

Alex Sarr | Perth Wildcats | PF/C | Age: 18.8

3. San Antonio Spurs

Rob Dillingham | Kentucky | PG | Age: 19.1

4. Charlotte Hornets

Matas Buzelis | G League Ignite | SF | Age: 19.3

5. Portland Trail Blazers

Cody Williams | Colorado | SF | Age: 19.2

6. Toronto Raptors

Nikola Topic | Mega MIS | PG | Age: 18.4

7. Memphis Grizzlies

Ja'Kobe Walter | Baylor | SG | Age: 19.4

8. Houston Rockets (via Brooklyn Nets)

Tidjane Salaun | Cholet | PF | Age: 18.4

9. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Houston Rockets)

Kyle Filipowski | Duke | PF/C | Age: 20.1

10. Atlanta Hawks

Ron Holland | G League Ignite | SF | Age: 18.6

11. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Utah Jazz)

Donovan Clingan | UConn | C | Age: 19.9

12. Chicago Bulls

Reed Sheppard | Kentucky | PG/SG | Age: 19.6

13. Sacramento Kings

Zach Edey | Purdue | C | Age: 21.6

14. New Orleans Pelicans (via Los Angeles Lakers)*

Isaiah Collier | USC | PG | Age: 19.3

15. Toronto Raptors (via Indiana Pacers)

Stephon Castle | UConn | PG/SG | Age: 19.2

16. Miami Heat

Kevin McCullar Jr. | Kansas | SF | Age: 22.9

17. Portland Trail Blazers (via Golden State Warriors)

Devin Carter | Providence | PG/SG | Age: 21.9

18. Orlando Magic

Dalton Knecht | Tennessee | SF | Age: 22.8

19. New York Knicks (via Dallas Mavericks)

Tyler Smith | G League Ignite | SF/PF | Age: 19.2

20. Philadelphia 76ers

Jared McCain | Duke | PG | Age: 19.9

21. Phoenix Suns

Ryan Dunn | Virginia | SF | Age: 21.1

22. Milwaukee Bucks

Yves Missi | Baylor | C | Age: 19.7

23. New York Knicks

Bobi Klintman | Cairns Taipans | SF/PF | Age: 20.9

24. New Orleans Pelicans

Kel'el Ware | Indiana | C | Age: 19.8

25. Denver Nuggets

Izan Almansa | G League Ignite | PF/C | Age: 18.6

26. Utah Jazz (via Oklahoma City Thunder)

Trevon Brazile | Arkansas | PF | Age: 21.1

27. Washington Wizards (via LA Clippers)

D.J. Wagner | Kentucky | PG/SG | Age: 18.7

28. Cleveland Cavaliers

Juan Nunez | Ratiopharm Ulm | PG | Age: 19.7

29. Minnesota Timberwolves

Johnny Furphy | Kansas | SG/SF | Age: 19.1

30. Boston Celtics

Tyler Kolek | Marquette | PG | Age: 22.8

* The Pelicans can defer the Lakers' first-round pick to 2025

SECOND ROUND

31. Utah Jazz (via Washington Wizards)

Melvin Ajinca | Saint Quentin | SG/SF | Age: 19.6

32. Toronto Raptors (via Detroit Pistons)

Kyshawn George | Miami | SG/SF | Age: 20.1

33. San Antonio Spurs

Carlton Carrington | Pittsburgh | PG/SG | Age: 18.5

34. Portland Trail Blazers (via Charlotte Hornets)

Dillon Jones | Weber State | SF/PF | Age: 22.3

35. Milwaukee Bucks (via Portland Trail Blazers)

Jaylon Tyson | California | SG/SF | Age: 21.2

36. Philadelphia 76ers (via Toronto Raptors)

Adem Bona | UCLA | C | Age: 20.8

37. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Memphis Grizzlies)

Oso Ighodaro | Marquette | PF/C | Age: 21.6

38. Memphis Grizzlies (via Brooklyn Nets)

​Ugonna Onyenso | Kentucky | PF/C | Age: 21.6

39. Charlotte Hornets (via Houston Rockets)

Tristan da Silva | Colorado | SF/PF | Age: 22.7

40. Portland Trail Blazers (via Atlanta Hawks)

Keshad Johnson | Arizona | PF | Age: 22.6

41. New York Knicks (via Utah Jazz)

Pelle Larsson | Arizona | SG | Age: 22.9

42. Boston Celtics (via Chicago Bulls)

Ulrich Chomche | NBA Academy Showcase | PF/C | Age: 18.1

43. Sacramento Kings

Terrence Shannon Jr. | Illinois | SG/SG | Age: 23.5

44. San Antonio Spurs (via Los Angeles Lakers)

Harrison Ingram | North Carolina | SF/PF | Age: 21.2

45. LA Clippers (via Indiana Pacers)

KJ Simpson | Colorado | PG | Age: 21.5

46. Miami Heat

Payton Sandfort | Iowa | SF | Age: 21.6

47. Houston Rockets (via Golden State Warriors)

Pacome Dadiet | Ratiopharm Ulm | SG/SF | Age: 18.5

48. Orlando Magic

Baylor Scheierman | Creighton | SG/SF | Age: 23.3

49. Boston Celtics (via Dallas Mavericks)

Alex Karaban | UConn | PF | Age: 21.2

50. Washington Wizards (via Phoenix Suns)

Baba Miller | Florida St. | PF | Age: 20.0

51. Indiana Pacers (via Milwaukee Bucks)

Justin Edwards | Kentucky | SG/SF | Age: 20.1

52. Detroit Pistons (via New York Knicks)

Mantas Rubstavicius | NZ Breakers | SF | Age: 21.7

53. Indiana Pacers (via New Orleans Pelicans)

PJ Hall | Clemson | PF/C | Age: 21.9

54. Memphis Grizzlies (via Oklahoma City Thunder)

Ajay Mitchell | UC Santa Barbara | PG | Age: 21.6

55. Los Angeles Lakers (via LA Clippers)

Ariel Hukporti | Melbourne | C | Age: 21.7

56. Indiana Pacers (via Cleveland Cavaliers)

DaRon Holmes II | Dayton | PF/C | Age: 21.5

57. Denver Nuggets (via Minnesota Timberwolves)

Hunter Sallis | Wake Forest | SG | Age: 20.9

58. Dallas Mavericks (via Boston Celtics)

AJ Johnson | Illawarra Hawks | SG | Age: 19

Recently cancelled the Disney bundle but I still have access to espn+ still. So here’s the rest of the mock. If anyone wants to take a look.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#208 » by BowlRips » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:11 pm

With picks in the late teens/twenties I will need to see players agents before doing any research
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#209 » by DOT » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:19 pm

mpharris36 wrote:Fair to say Kessler is a pretty good comp for him?

More or less

He isn't putting up the ridiculous 4.6 bpg Kessler did as a sophomore, but he's still a great rim protector

You can see he's averaging fewer blocks per40 than he did as a freshman, but significantly fewer fouls per40 as well

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
This was the latest I’ve seen Clingan mocked so far in my quick peeks at the mocks that been floating around the internet. ESPN has him at 11 right now. If he’s there at 17, I’m definitely running to the podium.

Hartenstein is great and I’d love to have him back but how much can you pay your back up big is a major question? If you can get 80% of Ihart for 10% of the cost, it makes sense as an investment IMO. Since he’s got enough touch to score outside the dunkers spot it be a nice rotation with Mitch.

Back up guard and big are really the only two spots I can see holes in the roster would have minutes available on next years teams. So unless there’s another awesome 6’8” guy that can shoot, this is the way I expect them to go.

I think he's really benefitting from a weak class, any other year I'd say take him 20th at the earliest, but I wouldn't mind him at 17. Especially if we stick with Mitch and let IHart go. He's also not a good passer, but he's not a zero in the passing game, he's at 1.5 apg to .7 turnovers per game this year.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by DOT » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:27 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:vecenie has your boy Castle at 5 to the blazers. Which is pretty much the highest I’ve seen him mocked so far as well. What do you think about that?

Kinda hate it

I dunno, I don't think that's a good fit for him, but I'm also kind of selfishly hoping he comes back for another year

His best trait right now is his feel for the game, like I have no doubts he'll be good but he needs some seasoning to get the tangible parts up to snuff

It is possible it's just due to the system, but I'm not positive. It's just kinda hard to judge when he's only taking 8 shots per game.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#211 » by moocow007 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:44 pm

knicks1999 wrote:Does any Knicks fan really believe we are going to draft 2 players in the first round?….we would be lucky if they used just 1 of the picks and not trade it

I would not be surprised if they trade away both or punt them by swapping them for picks in the future. If they do pick I would doubt they'd go with a PG. Brunson's backup likely will be acquired via trade or the free agent route rather than a raw college player.

One guy I do like that is in the Knicks projected range is Tristan Da Silva. He's got excellent all around skills, very high feel for all facets of the game, and his team just does so much better when he's on the floor even though he's not the leading scorer for Colorado. His BPM and Ratings are pretty damn impressive to say the least. He also moves very well, has a real soft shot and can put the ball and create some with either hand. Just really like the way he plays. He's always in the right spot, makes the right plays and is quick to react to what defenses give him. He's not elite explosively but smooth and his ability to read and react offsets that.

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,479

Post#212 » by WargamesX » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:25 pm

I like PJ Hall as a Taj/Precious replacement. He has the type of build that makes me think he could be a good small ball center but he has some offensive skill too. I can definitely see the Knicks trading out the first or trading back and he should be there as an early 2nd rounder.

Flipside if the Knicks were considering trading up I would say chase Ryan Dunn. I could see him going top 10 if a team thinks he can develop any form of outside shot.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#213 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:03 am

moocow007 wrote:
knicks1999 wrote:Does any Knicks fan really believe we are going to draft 2 players in the first round?….we would be lucky if they used just 1 of the picks and not trade it

I would not be surprised if they trade away both or punt them by swapping them for picks in the future. If they do pick I would doubt they'd go with a PG. Brunson's backup likely will be acquired via trade or the free agent route rather than a raw college player.

One guy I do like that is in the Knicks projected range is Tristan Da Silva. He's got excellent all around skills, very high feel for all facets of the game, and his team just does so much better when he's on the floor even though he's not the leading scorer for Colorado. His BPM and Ratings are pretty damn impressive to say the least. He also moves very well, has a real soft shot and can put the ball and create some with either hand. Just really like the way he plays. He's always in the right spot, makes the right plays and is quick to react to what defenses give him. He's not elite explosively but smooth and his ability to read and react offsets that.

I actually think the Knicks will make both picks this time around. I don’t think any teams really like this draft and I can’t imagine that they’d want to give up future first to get back into it. Maybe if they do, it be like that dumb hawks pick we traded for that was like top 18 protected. We also really need some more rookie contract guys for whatever star trade is supposed to happen.

Here’s my guy that would be an interesting guy to draft. Johnny Furphy. 6’8”good shooter, can move off ball well, and my favorite thing about him is he hustles and gets rebounds. Seems like he’d be a Thibs guy from day one.
https://youtu.be/si=1-asYqfBKw6I7znz

https://youtu.be/ si=EoiPiUnyWuQkg0TB

https://youtu.be/ si=MFuv7y4RtPssEs-a[/youtube]
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#214 » by moocow007 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:02 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I actually think the Knicks will make both picks this time around. I don’t think any teams really like this draft and I can’t imagine that they’d want to give up future first to get back into it. Maybe if they do, it be like that dumb hawks pick we traded for that was like top 18 protected. We also really need some more rookie contract guys for whatever star trade is supposed to happen.

Here’s my guy that would be an interesting guy to draft. Johnny Furphy. 6’8”good shooter, can move off ball well, and my favorite thing about him is he hustles and gets rebounds. Seems like he’d be a Thibs guy from day one.
https://youtu.be/si=1-asYqfBKw6I7znz

https://youtu.be/ si=EoiPiUnyWuQkg0TB

https://youtu.be/ si=MFuv7y4RtPssEs-a[/youtube]

That's ok they'll trade the 1sts this year for future 2nds or top 20 protected 1st lol. I hope not but you never know.

Furphy is interesting and could be a sneaky good pickup.

It'll be interesting as these guys start working out for teams. I'd expect a lot of guys moving up and down the boards. In a weak draft I think teams will look even closer at each individual player and I would expect that you will see teams take more risks on high upside types since I don't know too many of these players are locks to be rotation players.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,771

Post#215 » by aggo » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:46 am

furphy I doubt will make it past 10 in this draft.

some (smart) GM is going to look at what he's done at his age and just draft based on improvement and ceiling.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,771

Post#216 » by aggo » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:57 am

clingan-

I kinda like him.

he's got some foot speed, but doesnt have great footwork defending on the perimeter. so I think he's gonna need a year or two to really shine.

his vertical is surprising and he doesnt need to load his hips to get up.

I dont think he could do much of anything right away, but he's the type of player I can see developing into a starter a few years down the road with enough improvement.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,447

Post#217 » by robillionaire » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:45 am

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,379

Post#218 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:55 am

robillionaire wrote:

You're team tank rob? He's a lottery pick.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,447

Post#219 » by robillionaire » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:16 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

You're team tank rob? He's a lottery pick.

We could potentially have one or two late lottery picks at the rate it’s going especially if Randle doesn’t come back (also the mavericks are sitting in the 8th spot) so when both teams lose in the play in tournament I think we need to be looking at some of these late lottery range guys and of course we can also consolidate the two picks to move up several spots if they choose
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#220 » by moocow007 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:51 pm

Here's another clip of Ulrich Chomche where you can see his defense, footwork, athleticism, shooting and passing ability. Defense is his most advanced skill and he's extremely athletic for a C prospect. But scouts apparently are really intrigued by his ability to shoot and pass as potential standout tools as well.

Return to New York Knicks