ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,774

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 

Post#261 » by aggo » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:09 am

mavs pick: take the highest ceiling guy that's over 6'6
our pick: clingan
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,871

Post#262 » by 8516knicks » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:34 am

tankathon has the 3 best centers - Flip, Cling and Ware in our range. 12-15. Take one and pair with one of ours and deal the other.
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#263 » by 8516knicks » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:37 am

dakomish23 wrote:
ScienceOfLosing wrote:
sol537 wrote:
So is ours… :o

(
We can package them up perhaps to move up. I doubt we trade even one as the draft is so called weak.

Sometimes the weakest drafts are the easiest to trade up in. Maybe one of the team in the back half of the lottery who want to win now & might move back to draft a few non project type guys to immediately help

If a center (at least one per draft/don't' know haven't researched it) is usually among the 5 best eventual NBA players in any draft, we should have a 33% chance to nab him.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#264 » by moocow007 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:53 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
sol537 wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:https://youtu.be/si=04rOFjOI9q15SXsn[/youtube]

Not much of a shooter but killer defender, rebounder, and playmaking for a wing.

Looks like a winning player. Sign me up with one of our three picks.

It’s just tough to project him cuz he’s playing against nobodies but he seems like a good guy to grab.

My main concern with him is that he doesn't really have top tier athleticism and I'll be quite honest, his dribbling skills I don't think will fly against NBA defenders (he's got a real odd looking high dribble). It does into what you said about him going up mostly against nobodies (I think Weber State has one of the weakest SOS among ranked teams). That's going to negatively impact his playmaking ability which is IMO the "differentiator" skill for him. I definitely don't see him being a high end scorer in the NBA regardless of how many big point games he puts up in college. At which point is he more of a Justise Winslow level player once he hits the NBA? I mentioned Stephenson before as a possible comp but Stephenson had quite a bit more power and explosiveness going for him.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,889

Post#265 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:56 pm

moocow007 wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
sol537 wrote:

It’s just tough to project him cuz he’s playing against nobodies but he seems like a good guy to grab.

My main concern with him is that he doesn't really have top tier athleticism and I'll be quite honest, his dribbling skills I don't think will fly against NBA defenders (he's got a real odd looking high dribble). It does into what you said about him going up mostly against nobodies (I think Weber State has one of the weakest SOS among ranked teams). That's going to negatively impact his playmaking ability which is IMO the "differentiator" skill for him. I definitely don't see him being a high end scorer in the NBA regardless of how many big point games he puts up in college. At which point is he more of a Justise Winslow level player once he hits the NBA? I mentioned Stephenson before as a possible comp but Stephenson had quite a bit more power and explosiveness going for him.

I've seen some people compare him to a discount Draymond green. Good playmaking and defense with a little bit of scoring. You're definitely right that it all comes down to whether he's an nba athlete or not. He does look decently quick out there but it certainly isn't like watching Ja from a few years ago play against nobodies. He seems like a guy that would really benefit at playing in the scrimmages at the combine this year. We've got a pretty early 2nd round pick and I'd be willing to take a swing at him there. Unless he really shows out at those games.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,073

Post#266 » by Jeffrey » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:03 am

8516knicks wrote:tankathon has the 3 best centers - Flip, Cling and Ware in our range. 12-15. Take one and pair with one of ours and deal the other.

OKC will be gunning for one of them.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,774

Post#267 » by aggo » Sat Mar 9, 2024 5:35 pm

moocow007 wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
sol537 wrote:

basically hes a rerun of Trevor keels.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#268 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:15 pm

aggo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

basically hes a rerun of Trevor keels.

:lol: That's the exact floor that I had in my mind.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,714

Post#269 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:23 am

Robbie Avila. Interesting player.

Free Palestine
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#270 » by 8516knicks » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Robbie Avila. Interesting player.

I like him for the Clark Kent look/vibe. :D
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#271 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:18 pm

Moo’s Guy De Silva has been really awesome for the Colorado. Kinda reminds me of Cam Johnson a little bit.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,903

Post#272 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:26 am

aggo wrote:mavs pick: take the highest ceiling guy that's over 6'6
our pick: clingan

Gonna have to move up to get Clingan.
I like the kid a lot, but no way we are getting him.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,093

Post#273 » by stuporman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:58 am

Been starting to watch some video on players for the draft even though I know the Knicks will trade all the picks away anyway.

Started with the 2 round off guards like Taylor, Alexander, Jones and Sallis...

I like Jones and Sallis. Dillion Jones is a bigger Josh Hart with a jump shot which is a really nice player in theory...Sallis I can see being a crazy good bench/microwave scorer with some energy. The other two are intriguing, too, but I prioritize defense and those two scare me on that end.

In college ball you can see if a guy has defensive awareness and instincts or not and the ones that do can be taught to be better defenders at the next level, it's hard to, or even nearly impossible to teach awareness and instincts to those that don't innately have it.

Jones and Sallis have those traits combined with the physical agility to play it and give the effort, you have something to work with on that end to become much better with those two. The other two not so much, Taylor is the better of the two on D and maybe has a chance but Alexander seems offense only.

Again, I know I shouldn't pay too much attention because the Knicks won't use the picks, though they really should restock the youth since they depleted it with the trades this season. Plus those first rounders are right in the mid to late spot they seem to find the best value compared to wasting lottery picks.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#274 » by 8516knicks » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:40 pm

stuporman wrote:Been starting to watch some video on players for the draft even though I know the Knicks will trade all the picks away anyway.

Started with the 2 round off guards like Taylor, Alexander, Jones and Sallis...

I like Jones and Sallis. Dillion Jones is a bigger Josh Hart with a jump shot which is a really nice player in theory...Sallis I can see being a crazy good bench/microwave scorer with some energy. The other two are intriguing, too, but I prioritize defense and those two scare me on that end.

In college ball you can see if a guy has defensive awareness and instincts or not and the ones that do can be taught to be better defenders at the next level, it's hard to, or even nearly impossible to teach awareness and instincts to those that don't innately have it.

Jones and Sallis have those traits combined with the physical agility to play it and give the effort, you have something to work with on that end to become much better with those two. The other two not so much, Taylor is the better of the two on D and maybe has a chance but Alexander seems offense only.

Again, I know I shouldn't pay too much attention because the Knicks won't use the picks, though they really should restock the youth since they depleted it with the trades this season. Plus those first rounders are right in the mid to late spot they seem to find the best value compared to wasting lottery picks.

For salary reasons the Knicks will probably use at least one pick unless a blockbuster trade (Giannis?) is avaiable. And they'll probably go for a cheaper Mitch alternative to backup Ihart, who seems he's now won the job over frequently injured Mitch. If they use another pick it will probably be for a guy who can get his own shot & make it to microwave like IQ off the bench.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#275 » by sol537 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:21 pm

Get me two 6'6 or taller 3&D studs in the first round and then get the best PG prospect in the second round.

This front office seems to do better with picks outside of the lottery anyway
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#276 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:53 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Moo’s Guy De Silva has been really awesome for the Colorado. Kinda reminds me of Cam Johnson a little bit.

Yeah. The thing I really like about him is that he has a great feel for the game. He's constantly moving. He gets great position. He has no hesitation in his shot when he's open. He uses angels real well when attacking the basket. Just a very smart and competitive basketball player. He has good size and while he's not a high flyer he moves real well. Yeah like Cam Johnson. Same type of player.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#277 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:07 pm

moocow007 wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Moo’s Guy De Silva has been really awesome for the Colorado. Kinda reminds me of Cam Johnson a little bit.

Yeah. The thing I really like about him is that he has a great feel for the game. He's constantly moving. He gets great position. He has no hesitation in his shot when he's open. He uses angels real well when attacking the basket. Just a very smart and competitive basketball player. He has good size and while he's not a high flyer he moves real well. Yeah like Cam Johnson. Same type of player.

I came away way more impressed of him than I did of Cody Williams. Cody seemed to float a lot but Desilva was either involved in the action or made purposeful cuts. I kinda figured he was just a catch and shoot guy but made a lot of really good passes and did a good job creating for himself. I’m def a fan.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#278 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Clingan having a triple double with blocks is probably a sign that he won’t make it out of the lottery. Tourney runs like that always help draft stock like crazy.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,313

Post#279 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:26 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Clingan having a triple double with blocks is probably a sign that he won’t make it out of the lottery. Tourney runs like that always help draft stock like crazy.

It helps he has solid touch around the rim so he can finish from a few feet out

I watch like every UConn game, the difference when he sits and Samson Johnson comes in is night and day. I love Samson, but he's legit just a rim runner, if he isn't dunking he can't really finish, and that really hampers the offense even though Clingan isn't really a scorer

It's interesting though, cause when you watch him, he's not nearly as strong as you'd think. I don't have measurements, but it seems like he's super lanky and has long legs, so he has a pretty high center of gravity, like he isn't really outmuscling anyone on the boards, he's just using his length to finesse rebounds. That's the big difference between him and like, Edey who's just an absolute unit out there

That'll be where he fails in the NBA will be, he needs to add strength without losing mobility, cause he's already pretty slow footed. I think best case scenario for him would be post-injury Mitchell Robinson (after he bulked up but lost his lateral mobility) but with much better touch.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#280 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks